ImageImageImageImageImage

Lakers offseason 2023

Moderators: Kilroy, TyCobb, Danny Darko

DanishLakerFan
Veteran
And1: 569

Re: Lakers offseason 2023 

Post#81 » by DanishLakerFan » Fri May 26, 2023 8:23 am

I think we could have won it all this summer if we had all our guys for the whole season, a bit more depth and a bit more luck regarding injuries. And these things are connected. If the roster made sense from day one, perhaps we didn't have to play guys so much resulting in less injuries etc.

So keep what works, make simple moves to address needs and make another run.

1. Beasley + 17 for Buddy and 26. Not the sexiest deal in the world, but we get a legit top 5 shooter who can stay on the floor.
2. Match whatever Reaves is offered. Re-sign Rui (RFA), keep Bamba.

Generally i trust Vando, Rui and Lebron at the forward position and i would like to see how a healthy Bamba works on that team.

Depending on what Rui gets and what options we have with Russell, the roster can be rounded out in many ways:

A. Renounce D'Lo, Resign Schroeder (MLE) and another G/F at the BAE, such as Josh Richardson.
B. Re-sign D'LO, use tax MLE on another G/F such as Josh Richardson.
C. Use MLE, s/t DLo. etc.

Option A would give us somehting along the lines of:
PG Reaves / Schroeder
SG Buddy / Richardson / Christie
SF Vando / TBJr / 26th pick
PF Lebron / Rui
C AD / Bamba / Thompson
zuju
Senior
And1: 126

Post#82 » by zuju » Fri May 26, 2023 1:47 pm

PKABOOICU wrote:
TylersLakers wrote:Call me crazy but I was re-watching a lot of the Denver series last night and we're just too small.

Under no circumstances in my opinion can we bring back Schroder + D-Lo + Walker + Reaves + Beasley.

Austin Reaves has good size for a 2 but great size for a 1 and I think ideally we should try to find another G to pair him with that has size where Austin can be the technical PG by definition.

We also have to find a C who can play alongside AD at times where AD doesn't have to play 99% of his minutes at the C spot. AD needs to get the foot healthy and rediscover his jump shot. If he can do that, he can play as the PF more.

- Trade Beasley, Bamba, Christie, 17 to Chicago for DeMar and Caruso
- Re-sign or match Austin ($12.2M), 4 years
- Re-sign Rui ($15M), 4 years
- Sign Mason Plumlee (Tax MLE)
- Sign Lonnie Walker to the raise he's eligible for ($8M)
- Sign Troy Brown, Wenyen Gabriel, Tristan Thompson, Justin Holiday to vet minimums or raises off what they made this year
- If Schroder signs to another vet minimum, he'd be eligible for a deal similar to what happened with Batum the last 3-4 years.

PG: Reaves/Caruso/Schroder
SG: DeRozan/Walker/Holiday
SF: Rui/Brown Jr/
PF: LeBron/Vando/Gabriel
C: Davis/Plumlee/Thompson

That's a much, much bigger team.

couple of things here-
1. Lakers are actually a very big team. They just happened to go up against an even bigger team in Denver. I can't think of a team size as big as the Nuggets or Lakers. They didnt win because they out-muscled us. They won because D'lo and AD played poorly, and they hit every single shot that mattered. We lost 1 game by 11 and 3 games by a grand total of 13 points, combined. Series could have very easily been 3-1 Lakers had AD and D'lo just made their shots consistently.
2. Chicago won't accept our bench who played a grand total of ZERO minutes in the playoffs for arguably 2 of their top 4 players.

Lakers don't need major tweaking. What they need is health, motivation, a desire to compete, and a reliable scoring option who actually makes some shots. D'lo, on paper, fits perfectly. But he had, maybe, 2 good playoff performances. Everything else from him was inexcusable.

AD is who he is, but he's extremely important to the Lakers defense. He's probably the best interior defender in the league. But he needs a back up big man who can get you some rebounds, alter a shot or 2, and preferably knock down an occasional 3 point shot.

First thing first, AD played awesome in this playoff including the Denver series. He was the major reason we had the best defense among all playoff teams. He was good on offense either while giving you elite defence. Better consistency is what i am looking for though. He had no go-to move like mid range of KG or Duncan. He should develop one. Maybe sky hook maybe mid range jumper.

Would AD be who he is? It all depends on his eager to improve and compete. Look at Kobe and James. Their game and skills continued to evolve with age. Kobe learning dream shake and James adding 3 point shots etc. While i don't see the same competitiveness from AD, I really hope he could add a go to move to his arsenal this off season.
loveshaq786
Pro Prospect
And1: 86

Post#83 » by loveshaq786 » Fri May 26, 2023 4:15 pm

DanishLakerFan wrote:I think we could have won it all this summer if we had all our guys for the whole season, a bit more depth and a bit more luck regarding injuries. And these things are connected. If the roster made sense from day one, perhaps we didn't have to play guys so much resulting in less injuries etc.

1. Beasley + 17 for Buddy and 26. Not the sexiest deal in the world, but we get a legit top 5 shooter who can stay on the floor.

Generally i trust Vando, Rui and Lebron at the forward position and i would like to see how a healthy Bamba works on that team.

Depending on what Rui gets and what options we have with Russell, the roster can be rounded out in many ways:

A. Renounce D'Lo, Resign Schroeder (MLE) and another G/F at the BAE, such as Josh Richardson.

PG Reaves / Schroeder
PF Lebron / Rui
C AD / Bamba / Thompson

love the buddy deal
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,650

Post#84 » by danfantastk32 » Fri May 26, 2023 4:46 pm

DanishLakerFan wrote:I think we could have won it all this summer if we had all our guys for the whole season, a bit more depth and a bit more luck regarding injuries. And these things are connected. If the roster made sense from day one, perhaps we didn't have to play guys so much resulting in less injuries etc.

A) I don't. I think this team has alot of flaws. We beat a fake-team in the first round, and GS, who barely got in themselves, and have struggled all year. For whatever reason. We finally played a real team, and got 1-2-3-4 swept. No if ands or buts. Swept. I do think Denver is prob the best team this year...but when you get swept, that means you aren't in the same league.

B) This was the 'blue moon' season where our two stars were healthy (at least enough to play, and contribute). I think it would be foolish to expect AD next playoffs.

C) There is no denying it: Lebron is on the slide. Your gonna get 10-15% less next seaon. Meanwhile his salary is going up! Not good.

We had a great run. We did alot better than expected. For whatever it means....I think the Lakers made the city proud. But now it's time to face reality, and figure out what we can do to make major upgrades, or overhaul. The silver lining in all of this, is that a few guys made a name for themselves. And AD showed what he can be when it mattered most. I think this is prob going to be our last good chance to get something for AD. A team like Phoenix was scorned again. Would they overpay to get over the top? There are several teams that I think would make a go at him. If you wanted to do the overhaul......this is the best chance you have. Lebron gave a good year, and a pretty good postseason. The signs are clearly there....but he's still showing enough, and is a big enough draw that if you wanted to blow it up....DO - IT - NOW! I can't stress that enough. DO - IT - NOW

On the other hand. We now have several guys who impressed. We cannot expect to keep all of them. AD and Lebron are taking up $100mil just between the two of them. No way we're able to give everyone what they want. So if you are going to keep our two stars (mistake I think), then we are in a rather decent position to make something happen. I think Kyrie's stock is rock-bottom. If there is one guy who I think he'd behave around...it'll be Lebron. I honestly think Dallas makes that trade for Reeves straight up. I bet Dallas does it for less.

Either way....point is, this team has an opportunity to go either direction, and not get totally screwed for once. Bringing this same squad back would be a massive mistake, IMO. We aren't that good. And I promise that by the end of next season, Lebron will be looking that much older....and AD's stock will be back in the basement. Prob for good. If you got some guys to spell them for multiple games, and never had them play over 30 minutes....you might be ok. I'd still move them, if it were me.
LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,205

Post#85 » by LAKESHOW » Fri May 26, 2023 8:51 pm

F it. Lets go Kyrie and Reaves back court. Consequences be damned!
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
stan francisco
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,562

Post#86 » by stan francisco » Fri May 26, 2023 10:22 pm

PG Reaves / Schroeder
PF Lebron / Rui
C AD / Bamba / Thompson

I like this.

Didn’t think of Richardson until you mentioned him. I could see him and Vando as a defensive duo. Hield is a good scoring guard which addresses a need. How is his D? And I personally don’t think Schroeder is a good fit offensively.

My keepers:
LeBron
AD
Reaves
Hachimura
Vando
Walker
Christie
Bamba
Thompson
17 (Rob can draft so I’m not trading)
47 (Rob can draft so I’m not trading)

Outgoing:
Russell S&T, Schroeder S&T, Beasley, Brown Jr

Incoming, wishlist (besides drafts):
Scoring Guard with defense: 1) Tyus Jones 2) Fred Van Vleet 3) Dame, 4) Klay, 5) Trae etc
Big men: Brook Lopez, Nerlens, Nurkic, Zeller etc

How? Let’s ask Rob. :D

We need to add a scoring guard, and a solid big to anchor the paint next to AD. Bamba might be it. I want assurance. BroLo would be perfect.

Just no more one sided players.,
NBA titles since the merger: LAL 11, CHI 6, SAS 5, BOS 5, GSW 4.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,248

Post#87 » by Kilroy » Fri May 26, 2023 10:39 pm

We shouldn't forget we have Troy Brown Jr, Beasley, and LW4 in house already... Between DLo and Reaves, those guys got kind of frozen out...
We really should take a step back and reanalyze those guys to see if keeping them made more sense than trying to find something shiny and new...

And if a healthy Bamba doesn't look a whole lot better to this FO than WGabrial, I'm not really sure what they're looking at...
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
bb22
Starter
And1: 1,024

Post#88 » by bb22 » Sat May 27, 2023 2:36 am

I think it’s going to be a big year for the lakers next year. Possibly Lebron’s last year in the league, good young core, and a motivated front office. We ended up being one of the top 4 teams in the league after starting off almost dead last. Can’t wait for next year.
DanishLakerFan
Veteran

Post#89 » by DanishLakerFan » Sun May 28, 2023 7:05 am

danfantastk32 wrote:

A) I don't. I think this team has alot of flaws. We beat a fake-team in the first round, and GS, who barely got in themselves, and have struggled all year. For whatever reason. We finally played a real team, and got 1-2-3-4 swept. No if ands or buts. Swept. I do think Denver is prob the best team this year...but when you get swept, that means you aren't in the same league.

B) This was the 'blue moon' season where our two stars were healthy (at least enough to play, and contribute). I think it would be foolish to expect AD next playoffs.

C) There is no denying it: Lebron is on the slide. Your gonna get 10-15% less next seaon. Meanwhile his salary is going up! Not good.

We had a great run. We did alot better than expected. For whatever it means....I think the Lakers made the city proud. But now it's time to face reality, and figure out what we can do to make major upgrades, or overhaul. The silver lining in all of this, is that a few guys made a name for themselves. And AD showed what he can be when it mattered most. I think this is prob going to be our last good chance to get something for AD. A team like Phoenix was scorned again. Would they overpay to get over the top? There are several teams that I think would make a go at him. If you wanted to do the overhaul......this is the best chance you have. Lebron gave a good year, and a pretty good postseason. The signs are clearly there....but he's still showing enough, and is a big enough draw that if you wanted to blow it up....DO - IT - NOW! I can't stress that enough. DO - IT - NOW

On the other hand. We now have several guys who impressed. We cannot expect to keep all of them. AD and Lebron are taking up $100mil just between the two of them. No way we're able to give everyone what they want. So if you are going to keep our two stars (mistake I think), then we are in a rather decent position to make something happen. I think Kyrie's stock is rock-bottom. If there is one guy who I think he'd behave around...it'll be Lebron. I honestly think Dallas makes that trade for Reeves straight up. I bet Dallas does it for less.

Either way....point is, this team has an opportunity to go either direction, and not get totally screwed for once. Bringing this same squad back would be a massive mistake, IMO. We aren't that good. And I promise that by the end of next season, Lebron will be looking that much older....and AD's stock will be back in the basement. Prob for good. If you got some guys to spell them for multiple games, and never had them play over 30 minutes....you might be ok. I'd still move them, if it were me.

Disagree on all three accounts, your honor.

A) This version of the Lakers only played together for a quarter of a season and they were hobbled going into the playoffs because they had to play from behind all season. If they went into the playoffs more rested, with better depth and having played together for a whole season they could have made a run. Sure, they might still have lost to Nuggets, but they would have had a good chance.

B). Lebron and AD's health is connected to the rest of the team. If the team makes sense and is relatively deep in the regular season i think AD and Lebron can rest when needed, pick their spots and minimize risk of injury.

C) Lebron at 39 just put up 40-10-9 in 48 mins. He will decline next season, but he'll be a top 10 regardless. I agree that blowing it up is an option that should be considered, but i would argue that we're better off building on this current group. Continuity is very important and it is possible to bring back a better version of this current group. I would love to see us have an actual 5 on the floor alongside AD both as a backup and maybe have AD play some PF. I would also like us to chase a shooter that can actually stay on the floor (like Hield). And so on.

Also, what's the landscape next season? Memphis is a mess, GS has big decisions to make, and who the hell knows with Phx and LAC. Nuggets only went 7 deep in this series and have major decision with two of those guys (KCP and Brown), so who knows how they look.
DanishLakerFan
Veteran

Post#90 » by DanishLakerFan » Sun May 28, 2023 7:31 am

FVV (s/t) / (Reaves)
Reaves / Buddy (trade) / Christie
Vando / Richardson (MLE)
Lebron / Rui
AD / Bamba / Thompson (vet min).
DNP-Old
Pro Prospect
And1: 332

Post#91 » by DNP-Old » Sun May 28, 2023 12:47 pm

DanishLakerFan wrote:FVV (s/t) / (Reaves)
Vando / Richardson (MLE)
Lebron / Rui

That team is hard capped and two players short of the minimum.
"Be quick, don't hurry" -John Wooden-

"No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth" -Plato-
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,248

Post#92 » by Kilroy » Sun May 28, 2023 10:40 pm

Rui is 25
Vande is 24
LW4 is 24
Troy Brown Jr is 23
Reaves is 24...

Bamba is 25
Beasley is 26
Pippen JR is 22
Christie is 20...

Point being, maybe we should identify a 'core' of those guys to build around, instead of trying to keep throwing talent at AD/LeBron... Take LeBron out of the equation... Treat him like a vet you add to your core for a playoff run... (Which is likely what he'll be next season anyway)...
Plan around AD+young 'core,' and build around that... Then LeBron can step in when he's in shape and healthy and take that team over the top...

I'm hearing some 'jettison everyone but Reaves, for ______" plans out there, only I'm not sure the return is really there... If we can S/T Dlo for a piece, cool, but if he walks for nothing, Bamba/Rui/Vande/Reaves/(LW4 orBrown Jr) + AD might be as good as anything else we can get, then LeBron steps in when he's healthy and we're in the post season again... That's not even factoring in what we do with Beasley....
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
stan francisco
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,562

Post#93 » by stan francisco » Mon May 29, 2023 12:08 am

I’d be very surprised if the Lakers don’t let LeBron retire a Laker. Anyone who expects a trade including James might want to wait until Bronny gets drafted by some other team.

Why? Many reasons. Jerseys. Honoring great players by not trading them somewhere they don’t want to go, see Kobe’s career twilight. Jerseys. He’s not going anywhere, is my guess. Oh, and jerseys.

EDIT: there’s also a $1B cable tv contract they signed a while back. I’m sure having LBJ on the roster helps that deal not look idiotic for the fine peeps who paid it. He draws viewers. There’s bound to be clauses in contracts where that Lakers excellence (viewers) is expected to be delivered or …. I really think he stays.
NBA titles since the merger: LAL 11, CHI 6, SAS 5, BOS 5, GSW 4.
DanishLakerFan
Veteran

Post#94 » by DanishLakerFan » Mon May 29, 2023 7:05 am

DNP-Old wrote:
Vando / Richardson (MLE)
Lebron / Rui

Well obviously you'd add a couple af vet min to round out roster.
zuju
Senior
And1: 126

Post#95 » by zuju » Mon May 29, 2023 7:50 am

DanishLakerFan wrote:
DNP-Old wrote:
Vando / Richardson (MLE)
Lebron / Rui

Well obviously you'd add a couple af vet min to round out roster.

I don't like FVV on the lakers. Not Buddy Hield neither.

While we need better production on offense in the playoff, we cannot have a weak spot on the other end. You see what happened to Dlo in the Denver series?

Richardson is good though. I don't know if MLE is enough for him.

I'd also want Rondo back too. Him and TT along with LBJ as the vet presence is about right. TT can still produce and Rondo can be that mastermind to help all young guys. A team seldom play all 15 players and I believe Rondo can still give you some decent 5-10 minutes a game if needed to. A guard you can refer to on/off the floor during critical moments. He helped Reaves grow and definitely he could do the same with other youngsters too. We shoud not go old as last season. We should not overlook the importance of Vet presence too. TT on the Dudley role. Rondo being a tutor.
TyCobb
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 9,836

Post#96 » by TyCobb » Mon May 29, 2023 3:41 pm

S&T D’Angelo Russell for DeMar DeRozan
S&T Rui Hachimura for Buddy Hield
Re-sign Austin Reaves
Re-sign Dennis Schroder
Waive Mo Bamba
Decline Michael Beasley team option
Draft #17 Jordan Hawkins
Draft #47 Olivier-Maxence Prosper
FA sign Bismack Biyombo

G: Austin Reaves, Dennis Schroder
G: Buddy Hield, Jordan Hawkins
F: DeMar DeRozan, Max Christie
F: LeBron James, Olivier-Maxence Prosper
F: Anthony Davis, Jarred Vanderbilt, Bismack Biyombo

When LeBron this old you gotta run it back with one year left deals.
Read more, learn more, change your posts.
SK21209
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,911

Post#97 » by SK21209 » Mon May 29, 2023 7:30 pm

The below is a mix of what I want to happen and what I think is likely:

1. Re-sign Reaves for whatever he’s offered. Let’s just say he gets the full 4/98.7 million.

2. Re-sign Rui for something like 4/$76 million.

3. Re-sign Lonnie and Schroder, I’m pretty sure we can make that work. Troy Brown walks, maybe Gabriel too.

4. Re-sign DLo for something like 2/$60 million or 3/$75 million. Sign and trades with DLo just aren’t realistic, we’d have to lose one of Rui or Reaves. I think we get DLo on a shorter deal given his poor finish to the playoffs.

Russel / Schroder
Reaves / Walker
LeBron / Christie
Rui / Vando
AD / Bamba

I think the core rotation looks very similar next year with Christie taking over Brown’s role and the minimum guys on the fringes changing out. I want to keep Bamba, rather than Beasley, because I think AD and Bamba playing together is a wrinkle we never got to see and could be promising. I’d also want to get another playable big in case AD misses some time. If we roll into next season with a roster something like this, I’d expect us to explore trades with DLo + maybe Vando + picks for an upgrade at the PG spot or another wing if it looks like Reaves/Schroder/Lonnie/pick #17 can handle the ball handling duties after LeBron.
ejftw
General Manager
And1: 4,140

Post#98 » by ejftw » Mon May 29, 2023 10:24 pm

Clippers fan coming in peace.

Is there worry among the fans in here about Jeannie not matching if Reaves gets the balloon deal where years 3 and 4 are around 37/41 (if my math is right), or is there full confidence that they can convince Austin to not take the Arenas balloon provision/will match whatever?
DanishLakerFan
Veteran

Post#99 » by DanishLakerFan » Tue May 30, 2023 6:37 am

ejftw wrote:Clippers fan coming in peace.

Is there worry among the fans in here about Jeannie not matching if Reaves gets the balloon deal where years 3 and 4 are around 37/41 (if my math is right), or is there full confidence that they can convince Austin to not take the Arenas balloon provision/will match whatever?

I worry about Jeannie in general. She's an incompetent dinosaur and somehow that manage to go unnoticed because she's likeable.

Generally i think they match any offer for Reaves, but if they decide to go all-in on Kyrie, who knows.
loveshaq786
Pro Prospect
And1: 86

Post#100 » by loveshaq786 » Tue May 30, 2023 3:21 pm

the best trade for us...

trade AD to the blazers to appease Damian:

AD for Simmons, Sharpe, #3, Winslow (s&t) 6m/2 year, eubanks 7m/2 year (s&t) and second round pick

trade #3, Bamba, D'Angelo (50m/2 year, one year garunteed) and Beasley for bridges and claxton, Harris/Spencer, and a second pick

we will be a complete team!

we could trade Harris/Spencer for the likes of Draymond/DeRozan with #17 pick too

Return to Los Angeles Lakers