ImageImageImageImageImage

Final 30 games can they really qualify?

Moderators: Danny Darko, Kilroy, TyCobb

tamaraw08
Analyst
And1: 1,342

Final 30 games can they really qualify? 

Post#1 » by tamaraw08 » Wed Feb 1, 2023 5:40 pm

Currently at 13th place, teams in front of them have 2 less losses. It's not just winning games but not suffering more losses to just stay within striking distance of the 4-6 teams in front of them .
Biggest questions and concerns.
1. How many games will Lebron miss? I think there are 2 more back to back games involving Pelicans first, then Utah/Clippers on APR 4-5. Can he play most of the games?
2. Health of AD, missed more than 6 weeks then take a day off again after playing 2 games, really? :nonono:
3. Their defense, up by 6 points vs the Knicks with 1:41 and they allow 3 straight high % shots to tie it. :noway:
4. Will they get a legit 3pt shooter. Rui is nice but I can't rely heavily on this guy along with TBJ, JTA, Schroder, Russ, AD etc to shoot 36% from deep every game.
Kept waiting for these teams to crumble but they are hanging in there.
1. Utah Jazz, 6-4 the last 10 games, will face the reeling Raptors twice, has a 4 game home stint. Will face bad teams like the Spurs for 5-7 more times.
2. TWolves, Their next 7 games are pretty difficult, facing Denver 2x, Warriors, Memphis, @Dallas, They also have a hard 5 games at the end of Feb.
Then the other teams that are not even in the play-in right now. OKC, 3 more games vs the Lakers...
Portland a mixture of good and bad teams, will they stay ahead.
ROballer
General Manager
And1: 2,762

Re: Final 30 games can they really qualify? 

Post#2 » by ROballer » Wed Feb 1, 2023 7:28 pm

The play-ins are a no brainer barring any major multi week injury by either Lebron or Davis. With other trades or not.

And not because we're some kind of world beaters, but because the West has been absurdly bad this year. We've started 2-10 and had Davis missing 6 weeks and we're still only 4 games down from the 4th seed.
That's just ridiculous. There really isn't a juggernaut this year, basically every team beats eachother and that's it.

We only need to pass a few teams. There's no way Okc still stands tall. Utah has started hot but the same, Ainge will blow up the roster next week for as many picks as he can. The Blazers are hit and miss but they're not very good when Lillard doesn't go berserk.

The Pelicans have dealt with a ton of injuries and have lost 9 straight. And Minnesota and Phoenix have had really bad stretches as well.

There are plenty of team in front of us who could fall behind. We're probably going to get to .500 by next week, I see the next 4 games as wins.

And by the beginning of March, the schedule gets ridiculously easy. I mean really, between March 5th and 26th we play 10 of 12 games at home, and those two games on the road are against the Rockets and Pelicans.

Only Golden State(which we always used to beat at home, even when they were waaay better then they are now) and Memphis(which we already beat recently) are to be considered difficult matchups.

I can easily see a 9-3/10-2 record in this stretch.

Then we close the season with 6 games in April, 4 being against Utah(twice), Houston and Minnesota.

The worst has clearly passed.

We have 30 games left, right? Looking at the full schedule, again, if Davis and Lebron don't miss more than 1-2 games here and there...there's no f way we don't get 20 wins looking at the opponents and the home/away ratio.

That means a 44-38 record at the worst IMO. Even with this roster and Westbrook on it. If we make some moves I think we have a pretty big shot of getting a top 6 seed and skipping the play-ins.
Steve Nash injures his back while carrying bags

Slava wrote:I pulled a hammy while fapping. I won't make fun of Nash.
TylersLakers
RealGM
And1: 2,825

Post#3 » by TylersLakers » Wed Feb 1, 2023 11:34 pm

If we make a Westbrook trade for valuable roleplayers or a Bev/Lonnie Walker trade for a shooter - I think we easily jump to the 6th spot as long as LeBron and AD don't miss a ton of games.

Or we make both trades:

- Trade Bev, Lonnie Walker, unprotected 1st to Utah for Malik Beasley
- Trade Russ, Christie, Jones, Top 10 protected 1st to Charlotte for Hayward, Rozier, Plumlee

PG: Rozier/Schroder/
SG: Beasley/Reaves/
SF: Rui/Hayward/Brown Jr
PF: LeBron/Gabriel/JTA
C: AD/Plumlee/Bryant

Still 2 open roster spots for buy-out guys.
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 22,102

Post#4 » by dockingsched » Thu Feb 2, 2023 2:36 am

If AD and Lebron stay relatively healthy, they’ll comfortably make it. That’s all they need.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
stan francisco
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,563

Post#5 » by stan francisco » Thu Feb 2, 2023 1:26 pm

Yes. We will qualify.

Lonnie Walker was balling pre-injury. If I’m Rob, I’m keeping him almost no matter what. Same with Reaves. Their on-court value will not be replaced dollar for dollar in any trade. Keep the two of them here.

The big trade piece we have is Westbrook’s mega expiring. Who is rebuilding?

As always with injuries, in the absence of Walker, Reaves and AD we’ve seen Christie and Brown Jr and Bryant get comfortable. This bodes well.

The Dunn trade for Rui was great.

If Rob can trade Russ’ expiring for a coherent return of elite defenders (we’re ranked 27), good.

If not, I’ll blame Linda Rambis because there is no basketball reason for keeping his expiring.
NBA titles since the merger: LAL 11, CHI 6, SAS 5, BOS 5, GSW 4.
Beethoven
Head Coach
And1: 3,880

Post#6 » by Beethoven » Thu Feb 2, 2023 9:09 pm

I still believe they can avoid the play-in.
With ad healthy all the way, we can even be a top seed.
Kobe Bryant forever
GO LAKERS
8-)
TheHartBreakKid
General Manager
And1: 4,341

Post#7 » by TheHartBreakKid » Fri Feb 3, 2023 1:00 am

If the Lakers go 18-12 (winning 60% of remaining games), they finish 42-40 which should be a play-in team just going by the standings. The team went 2-10 to start the season, and has been 22-18 since (55% Win percentage). Considering the number of games missed by AD in the past 40 (22 out of 40), and how many close games the Lakers blew, I don't think winning 60% of games moving forward is all that unrealistic. Obviously health would be critical, but the roster in in theory improved and could improve even more if there is another trade happens. But yeah, I think it's not as difficult as some might think.

A lenghty (over 2 weeks) injury by Lebron or AD pretty much makes it highly unlikely, but if they stay healthy, the chances seem decent.

Another way of looking at it makes it harder to achieve though;

They need to jump over 3 teams ahead of them right now to make the 10th seed. The Jazz/Thunder have been overachieving based on their talent, and are likely to be sellers in the deadline. Assuming the Warriors/Suns remain healhier and play up to their standards, and Luka keeps the Mavs afloat, you have to jump over one of the following teams in addition to the Jazz/Thunder:
-The Wolves (3 games ahead right now)
-Pels (2 games ahead right now),
-Blazers (1.5 games ahead right now)

All three teams had also dealt with their share of injuries and 2 are currently dealing with injuries. KAT has no return timetable, but Zion seems likely to return sooner than later. The Blazers and Wolves also have a higher remaining strength of schedule than the Lakers, while the Pels have an easier.
DanishLakerFan
Veteran
And1: 569

Post#8 » by DanishLakerFan » Fri Feb 3, 2023 5:19 am

There is not much room for error, and it's horrible that Jeanie and Rob has put them in that position. If Lebron or AD are out for a couple of weeks it's pretty much over.

I do think they might end up making a move as well as making the playoffs. The move would determine their success in the playoffs.
ROballer
General Manager

Post#9 » by ROballer » Fri Feb 3, 2023 7:46 am

They're probably gonna do the Hornets deal since it's the only one in which we don't have to give up future picks.
That means two of Hayward, Rozier, Plumlee or Oubre.

It's not ideal because Hayward for example has a terrible contract, but beggars can't be choosers. You can't not give up your picks and still get salary flexibility in a return at this point. It's just not possible.

Even if they don't and still want to keep cap space for the summer, I hope they just buy out Westbrook. It's not sufferable anymore.
It's addition by substraction at this point. This team will be better without Westbrook on it, potentially way better if they do a trade and get 2 additional rotation pieces for him.

We've tried everything, starting him, coming off the bench...it just doesn't work out, this guy is cooked.

He can have a stretch in which he's passable and you can say this can sorta work out. Looking at the beginning to mid January for example, he was ok.

But he immediately has a stretch afterwards with 3-13, 4-13, 4-14, 4-15, 2-16 today.. while not hitting his FT's as well and with 4 turnovers per game. You can't just take the good with the bad anymore, when the bad is absolutely rock bottom terrible.

Even if we do make it, this guy cannot play in a play-in/playoffs type of game.

TheHartBreakKid
General Manager
And1: 4,341

Post#10 » by TheHartBreakKid » Fri Feb 3, 2023 1:45 pm

ROballer wrote:They're probably gonna do the Hornets deal since it's the only one in which we don't have to give up future picks.

It's not ideal because Hayward for example has a terrible contract, but beggars can't be choosers. You can't not give up your picks and still get salary flexibility in a return at this point. It's just not possible.

Even if they don't and still want to keep cap space for the summer, I hope they just buy out Westbrook. It's not sufferable anymore.
It's addition by substraction at this point. This team will be better without Westbrook on it, potentially way better if they do a trade and get 2 additional rotation pieces for him.

We've tried everything, starting him, coming off the bench...it just doesn't work out, this guy is cooked.

He can have a stretch in which he's passable and you can say this can sorta work out. Looking at the beginning to mid January for example, he was ok.

But he immediately has a stretch afterwards with 3-13, 4-13, 4-14, 4-15, 2-16 today.. while not hitting his FT's as well and with 4 turnovers per game. You can't just take the good with the bad anymore, when the bad is absolutely rock bottom terrible.

Do you have a source that RW to Hornets wouldn't require a pick? I'm geniunely asking..

If there is a RW for Rozier/Oubre or even Rozier/Hayward trade on the table without any picks attach, sign me up. I just can't see the FO passing that up unless they are totally incompetent/cheap.
ROballer
General Manager

Post#11 » by ROballer » Fri Feb 3, 2023 3:07 pm

TheHartBreakKid wrote:
ROballer wrote:They're probably gonna do the Hornets deal since it's the only one in which we don't have to give up future picks.

Do you have a source that RW to Hornets wouldn't require a pick? I'm geniunely asking..

If there is a RW for Rozier/Oubre or even Rozier/Hayward trade on the table without any picks attach, sign me up. I just can't see the FO passing that up unless they are totally incompetent/cheap.

The Hornets are actively tanking and want to shed long term deals.
And it's probably not going to be a one year thing. The players I mentioned are clearly not in their plans.

An expiring Westbrook is a gift sent from heaven for them. There's no way they can get rid of Hayward's deal to anyone else, without sending a least a 1st round pick as a compensation if not two. It's that bad of a contract for a guy who can't stay healthy and has lost a couple of steps.

tamaraw08
Analyst

Post#12 » by tamaraw08 » Fri Feb 3, 2023 3:56 pm

Westbrook's contract is expiring anyway, I think, so they don't need to buy him out. The problem is Ham is so in love with this guy, inserting him again late in the 4th last night even though he was 2-16 including taking 5 foolish 3pt attempts and 4 turnovers., :banghead:
I like Rozier and meh on the other 3 guys you mentioned. I really don't know why they are desperately trying to hold on to those 2 picks as if they don't have the '26 and '28 FRPs still plus a few more SRP's.
All games left would be important but the next one vs the Pelicans would really push them forward if they prevail. They have to be ready to defend Ingram bec I can see this guy exploding if his defenders are not fully prepared tomorrow.
MAMBAEMD
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,622

Post#13 » by MAMBAEMD » Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:21 am

25 games left. 11 on the road. Our record is 26-31 right now.
The team is set, unless we pick up someone in the buy-out market.

The rotations need to be tightened up, although I don't have confidence that Ham and his assistants will do a great job with the rotations moving forward, based on what I've seen so far.
Defense really needs to pick it up. The GSW game was a good start.

I really think we need to win 17-18 games to secure a decent playoff spot.
Formerly lakerRD
tamaraw08
Analyst

Post#14 » by tamaraw08 » Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:40 am

lakerRD wrote:25 games left. 11 on the road. Our record is 26-31 right now.

The rotations need to be tightened up, although I don't have confidence that Ham and his assistants will do a great job with the rotations moving forward, based on what I've seen so far.

I really think it will all depend on how many games would Lebron and AD miss going forward. If James continue to miss games, then they will lose more games and I notice AD gets frustrated and play less inspired games because of this.
MAMBAEMD
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,622

Post#15 » by MAMBAEMD » Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:47 am

tamaraw08 wrote:
lakerRD wrote:25 games left. 11 on the road. Our record is 26-31 right now.

I really think it will all depend on how many games would Lebron and AD miss going forward. If James continue to miss games, then they will lose more games and I notice AD gets frustrated and play less inspired games because of this.

I've noticed the same thing about AD, which frustrates the crap out of me. Be a pro AD. Show up and play hard. When you do, very few players are as good as you.

He complains to the refs constantly and just doesn't seem inspired.

I really liked his defensive energy at the very end of the GSW game though.

AD and LBJ needs to play as many games as possible for us to have a shot.
Formerly lakerRD
Beethoven
Head Coach

Post#16 » by Beethoven » Mon Feb 13, 2023 7:59 am

We'll make it.
We got to just focus on THE game we're playing. FOCUS on winning the quarter. Each every quarter. There are about 120 quarters remaining. Laser focus for that 12 mins as if you're life depends on it.

Let's go .750 on the remaining games. That means win 19 games of the remaining.
I believe we can do it.
That'll put us square into the 3-5 seed area with the Kings/Mavs/suns
Kobe Bryant forever
GO LAKERS
8-)
SK21209
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,921

Post#17 » by SK21209 » Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:50 pm

Tonight and Wednesday against the Pelicans are huge. Win both of those and I feel really good about our play-in chances. We may only be 4 games back of the 6 seed, but there are six other teams in between us and the 6 seed right now. Realistically, its very unlikely that we're able to outpace six separate teams by 4 games.

I think a more realistic goal is getting to the 8 or 7 seed and hosting a play-in game. We're three games back of the Pelicans and Timberwolves (who are currently tied for 7th). The Pelicans are going to be missing Zion for at least a few more weeks and maybe the rest of the season, while the Timberwolves should be getting KAT back soon and he and Gobert together has not worked at all. I think the Thunder and Jazz (currently 10th and 11th) will go away and the Warriors (currently 9th) are going to be without Curry for a few weeks. Hosting a play-in game and then going on the road against the Nuggets or Grizzlies in the first round isn't a terrible draw. I'd rather face one of them than Phoenix or Dallas.
tamaraw08
Analyst

Post#18 » by tamaraw08 » Tue Feb 14, 2023 2:01 am

Beethoven wrote:We'll make it.
We got to just focus on THE game we're playing. FOCUS on winning the quarter. Each every quarter. There are about 120 quarters remaining. Laser focus for that 12 mins as if you're life depends on it.

I believe we can do it.

I hope and pray that you are right. Last timeLebron played was almost 7 days ago and I’m getting impatient because this team is like 6 games under.500? Teams in front of them have 2-3 fewer losses and he usually struggles getting his his shooting rhythm the first night he gets back. AD hasn’t shot well the past week or so.
I’m also worried on how they will handle prolific guards with Pat Bev gone, hopefully they’ll find a way to limit Lillard tonight.
Beethoven
Head Coach

Post#19 » by Beethoven » Tue Feb 14, 2023 2:50 am

tamaraw08 wrote:
Beethoven wrote:We'll make it.

I believe we can do it.

I hope and pray that you are right. Last timeLebron played was almost 7 days ago and I’m getting impatient because this team is like 6 games under.500? Teams in front of them have 2-3 fewer losses and he usually struggles getting his his shooting rhythm the first night he gets back. AD hasn’t shot well the past week or so.
I’m also worried on how they will handle prolific guards with Pat Bev gone, hopefully they’ll find a way to limit Lillard tonight.

Hoping and praying is good for life

Let's get tonites game

AD is cruising now let him get his gear going after the all star break. We don't need HOFer AD to win these next few games now. I'm not concerned about lebron.
Kobe Bryant forever
GO LAKERS
8-)
Dmagic
Pro Prospect
And1: 297

Post#20 » by Dmagic » Tue Feb 14, 2023 1:57 pm

darvin ham said there is nothing you can do to slow down dame except to steal his sneakers...? or maybe guard the 3 point line. too bad its regular season and a lebron led team wont try hard enough.. I thought ham was a defensive coach

Return to Los Angeles Lakers