ImageImageImageImageImage

I can’t wait for the Lakers to sign D’Lo

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

TylersLakers
RealGM
And1: 2,824

Re: I can’t wait for the Lakers to sign D’Lo 

Post#121 » by TylersLakers » Tue May 23, 2023 10:38 pm

Unless there's a better alternative, he needs to be back. We can't let him walk for nothing.
tamaraw08
Analyst
And1: 1,313

Post#122 » by tamaraw08 » Wed May 24, 2023 1:23 am

TylersLakers wrote:Unless there's a better alternative, he needs to be back. We can't let him walk for nothing.

For me The key is getting him to agree to a reasonable contract preferably a very short one.
If I am Rob, I would dare him and his agent to talk to other teams that might be interested. Im betting there are very few that wants him especially after wetting the bed vs Denver.
Most teams that have cap space probably don’t want him.
Rob should ask if he’s willing to bet on himself and just sign a one year deal, try to prove to everyone that he’s a true superstar who will rise and prove his true value. That or 2 year contract with a team option making it a trade friendly contract, then they wait for a disgruntled star/s who wants out.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,236

Post#123 » by Kilroy » Wed May 24, 2023 2:19 am

Dlo is going to get offers way above anything we should be considering paying for him, and he's not the kind of guy to leave any money on the table...
So, bye DLo....
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
TylersLakers
RealGM

Post#124 » by TylersLakers » Wed May 24, 2023 2:29 am

tamaraw08 wrote:
TylersLakers wrote:Unless there's a better alternative, he needs to be back. We can't let him walk for nothing.

For me The key is getting him to agree to a reasonable contract preferably a very short one.
If I am Rob, I would dare him and his agent to talk to other teams that might be interested. Im betting there are very few that wants him especially after wetting the bed vs Denver.
Rob should ask if he’s willing to bet on himself and just sign a one year deal, try to prove to everyone that he’s a true superstar who will rise and prove his true value. That or 2 year contract with a team option making it a trade friendly contract, then they wait for a disgruntled star/s who wants out.

Totally agree. If he thinks teams are out there waiting to throw 20+ million at him, he's dead wrong.

A team will be interested in him at the MLE which is just over $12M. If I'm Rob, I come up to him on the first day of free agency and say "Here's a 3 year contract, player option on the 3rd year and it starts at $15M." A 3 year, 50 million deal will be a bargain for him and it's an easily tradeable contract.
TylersLakers
RealGM

Post#125 » by TylersLakers » Wed May 24, 2023 2:30 am

Kilroy wrote:Dlo is going to get offers way above anything we should be considering paying for him, and he's not the kind of guy to leave any money on the table...
So, bye DLo....

I don't think so dude. Which team with cap money is going to want him? Orlando? San Antonio? Houston?
TyCobb
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 9,831

Post#126 » by TyCobb » Wed May 24, 2023 2:40 am

More importantly, what teams actually want him at any price? Detroit?
Read more, learn more, change your posts.
stan francisco
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,558

Post#127 » by stan francisco » Wed May 24, 2023 2:45 am

He played his best defense in the last game. Sign and trade is the only option, in my opinion, and this is why I think so. And I’m not hating. Im going to miss his jump shot and his eye for the offense.

But $31M for a player who plays only half the game—offense, is the definition of buying fool’s gold. It’s such a big handicap to create for your own team to have one sided players. In the playoffs, you get exposed.

Did you notice how Malone exploited D Lo’s no D to perfection until he had to sit down? He and all contender coaches will do the same next year. We could have used his 3PT shot when he was benched. Not even for cheaper would I do it. It’s a culture thing.

The last play of the elimination game yesterday where Murray double teamed LeBron and negated him taking it to OT is a perfect microcosm of how the basketball gods work. Series over. Defense.
NBA titles since the merger: LAL 11, CHI 6, SAS 5, BOS 5, GSW 4.
stan francisco
Lead Assistant

Post#128 » by stan francisco » Wed May 24, 2023 2:48 am

TyCobb wrote:More importantly, what teams actually want him at any price? Detroit?

There’s more parity between all teams in the league since 1985. Nobody really is in dire need of anything.

That’s the big problem.
tamaraw08
Analyst
And1: 1,313

Post#129 » by tamaraw08 » Wed May 24, 2023 3:53 am

TylersLakers wrote:
tamaraw08 wrote:

Totally agree. If he thinks teams are out there waiting to throw 20+ million at him, he's dead wrong.

A team will be interested in him at the MLE which is just over $12M. If I'm Rob, I come up to him on the first day of free agency and say "Here's a 3 year contract, player option on the 3rd year and it starts at $15M." A 3 year, 50 million deal will be a bargain for him and it's an easily tradeable contract.

3 years is just too much of a risk imo. I’ll rather overpay him 3-5 mil extra than what other teams might pay him which I think won’t be much but Just 2 years with a team option.
Landsberger
General Manager
And1: 1,973

Post#130 » by Landsberger » Thu May 25, 2023 12:41 am

Kilroy wrote:Dlo is going to get offers way above anything we should be considering paying for him, and he's not the kind of guy to leave any money on the table...
So, bye DLo....

We should learn from the 2017 Lakers.... or the 2020 Nets.... or 2020 Warriors or the 2023 T-Wolves. He's not a net positive and any price. The seduction of the occasional 3 is blinding people to the other 90% of this game which is not that good. Toss in the mental approach and lack of BBIQ and you get a journeyman "star" who plays for a lot of team but never creates success.

The only signing of him I'd do is a sign and trade.

Here's the similarity score for all the other "max" slot players like him.... :lol: :lol:

Career Win Shares (Best to Worst)
Player Sim 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
D'Angelo Russell 5.0 4.4 1.8 1.6 1.3 0.4 0.0
Bruce Brown 85.5 4.8 4.4 2.1 1.5
Al Skinner 85.4 4.9 3.3 2.1 1.8 1.2 0.0
Roger Mason 84.4 4.7 3.4 1.9 1.4 0.9 0.3 0.2 0.1 0.1 -0.1
Keith Askins 82.6 4.4 4.3 1.9 1.4 0.7 0.7 0.6 0.3 0.2
Ron Brewer 81.8 5.6 4.3 3.3 1.6 1.4 0.8 0.3 0.1
Al Wood 81.5 4.4 4.2 2.5 2.3 1.0 0.9
Paul Hoffman 81.3 4.7 4.1 2.2 1.1 0.8 -0.5
Fred Jones 80.6 4.8 4.0 2.6 2.2 1.6 1.2 0.0
Dean Meminger 80.3 5.0 4.4 3.9 2.2 1.0 0.2
Randy Wittman 79.0 5.9 4.2 3.5 1.6 1.2 0.7 0.0 0.0 0.0
LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,203

Post#131 » by LAKESHOW » Thu May 25, 2023 4:43 am

I'm also gonna lean with the Jerry West school of thought. Yes, u need the superstar. But you also need the lengthier guys. Defensive Eddie Jones, types. Which is why I'm gonna side with keeping our strongest Defensive components that we have on this team.
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,236

Post#132 » by Kilroy » Thu May 25, 2023 8:21 pm

People sleep on how young Vanderbilt is... Dude could easily spend a summer in the lab and come back 40% from 3... he's not a terrible 3pt shooter now, from a mechanics standpoint. He's long and a defensive juggernaut as well...

To me, gambling on that and working with Vande would be better than paying D'lo...
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
DanishLakerFan
Veteran
And1: 569

Post#133 » by DanishLakerFan » Fri May 26, 2023 7:39 am

D'Lo was such as dissppointment these playoffs and while he had his moments, he also dissappear for long stretches. And was unplayable against the Nuggets.

Its tough to predict how his next deal look like. Going into the playoffs he could be looking at a multi-year deal starting at more than 25M/yr. After the playoffs its hard to see who is offering him much more than 15M, so maybe its in his interest to either stay with LA on a short-term deal or go the s/t route.
LAKESHOW
RealGM

Post#134 » by LAKESHOW » Fri May 26, 2023 9:05 pm

Like I mentioned in another thread, he has already hit the Julius Randle mental block. Each and every time he hits the playoffs, he will reach a fear mentally that will cause him to continuously brick shots. At least randle can play defense. But this guy only has 1 thing in the bag
LAKESHOW
RealGM

Post#135 » by LAKESHOW » Sat May 27, 2023 5:25 am

I'll take him 3/15Mil
stan francisco
Lead Assistant

Post#136 » by stan francisco » Mon May 29, 2023 12:44 am

DanishLakerFan wrote:D'Lo was such as dissppointment these playoffs and while he had his moments, he also dissappear for long stretches. And was unplayable against the Nuggets.

Its tough to predict how his next deal look like. Going into the playoffs he could be looking at a multi-year deal starting at more than 25M/yr. After the playoffs its hard to see who is offering him much more than 15M, so maybe its in his interest to either stay with LA on a short-term deal or go the s/t route.

Some of us had actually expected it and indeed predicted exactly what happened in the Denver series. Coach Malone exploited D No until he needed to sit.

He plays no contact ball. Buh-bye! No defense.

Offense-only means you end up at a small market team. I was pissed to hear that we had signed him. There is not another deal for him here if I get to decide. Fool me twice, shame on me. Three times?

S&T
DanishLakerFan
Veteran

Post#137 » by DanishLakerFan » Mon May 29, 2023 7:21 am

stan francisco wrote:
DanishLakerFan wrote:D'Lo was such as dissppointment these playoffs and while he had his moments, he also dissappear for long stretches. And was unplayable against the Nuggets.

Some of us had actually expected it and indeed predicted exactly what happened in the Denver series. Coach Malone exploited D No until he needed to sit.

Offense-only means you end up at a small market team. I was pissed to hear that we had signed him. There is not another deal for him here if I get to decide. Fool me twice, shame on me. Three times?

S&T

Well i sure didn't expect him to flame out like that, because i hoped his size would make it possible to hide him a bit on defense. And more importantly i had hoped he would produce enough on offense to allow him to stay on the floor.

But i agree that one-dimensional player that lack toughness shouldn't be key players in a playoff
rotation. For that reason I'm also sceptic when it comes to Kyrie, LaVine, DeRozan, Beal, Trae etc.

LA should not lose DLo for nothing though, if it can be avoided.

I think DLo does fit well in Toronto and LA can in fact sign FVV as a FA, so that is a good place to start.
zuju
Senior
And1: 126

Post#138 » by zuju » Mon May 29, 2023 7:42 am

DanishLakerFan wrote:
stan francisco wrote:

S&T

Well i sure didn't expect him to flame out like that, because i hoped his size would make it possible to hide him a bit on defense. And more importantly i had hoped he would produce enough on offense to allow him to stay on the floor.

But i agree that one-dimensional player that lack toughness shouldn't be key players in a playoff
rotation. For that reason I'm also sceptic when it comes to Kyrie, LaVine, DeRozan, Beal, Trae etc.

I think DLo does fit well in Toronto and LA can in fact sign FVV as a FA, so that is a good place to start.

Given the cap space situation, we are not in a good place if we lose him for nothing. He can definitely contribute in the regular season and have his stock rise a bit. A 15M/2yrs (2nd year team option) friendly prove himself deal would make his contract very tradable and won't hurt Lakers cap space when LBJ's contract is up even if he stays.

YES!!!! He fits well with the Raptors. They lack a guy who can run the offense. FVV is not one. FVV is a score first PG. Toronto needs someone to distribute the ball and run the offense properly. They have none. Dlo while providing 3 pointer and can run the offense, his awful defense can be covered by their very long and agile line up.

I don't want FVV though. His shortcoming on defense and inability to run the offense is not what we need. I'd rather resign schroder who is more or less the same type of player with much better defense. IF we can flip Dlo for OG Annoby or Gary Trent Jr, that'd be ideal. I believe that won't be enough with Dlo alone.

I'd will look into which teams that wants to blow it up or which players want out of their current town too. A trade in the mid-season to upgrade is very much possible.
DanishLakerFan
Veteran

Post#139 » by DanishLakerFan » Mon May 29, 2023 12:06 pm

zuju wrote:
DanishLakerFan wrote:
stan francisco wrote:

S&T

Given the cap space situation, we are not in a good place if we lose him for nothing. He can definitely contribute in the regular season and have his stock rise a bit. A 15M/2yrs (2nd year team option) friendly prove himself deal would make his contract very tradable and won't hurt Lakers cap space when LBJ's contract is up even if he stays.

YES!!!! He fits well with the Raptors. They lack a guy who can run the offense. FVV is not one. FVV is a score first PG. Toronto needs someone to distribute the ball and run the offense properly. They have none. Dlo while providing 3 pointer and can run the offense, his awful defense can be covered by their very long and agile line up.

I don't want FVV though. His shortcoming on defense and inability to run the offense is not what we need. I'd rather resign schroder who is more or less the same type of player with much better defense. IF we can flip Dlo for OG Annoby or Gary Trent Jr, that'd be ideal. I believe that won't be enough with Dlo alone.

I'd will look into which teams that wants to blow it up or which players want out of their current town too. A trade in the mid-season to upgrade is very much possible.

FVV is one of the better defensive PGs and almost made the all-defense team last season so i wouldn't be worried in that regard. I think between him and Reaves we'd have enough to run the offense.
OG would be the dream, but not realistic.
Gary Trent Jr. is worse defensively than DLo and can't run an offense.
stan francisco
Lead Assistant

Post#140 » by stan francisco » Mon May 29, 2023 7:02 pm

A good fit PG to team up with Reaves for this team is Tyus Jones. The question is how to get him.

I’d also go after Conley in a three way.

Anybody but D Lo. S&T can finally bring us value.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers