5 Worth over paying him
14%

Total votes: 14

SlimShady83
General Manager
And1: 1,316

Let's Talk about Fan Fav Austin Reaves Thread poll #1 

Post#1 » by SlimShady83 » Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:39 am

There Is no doubt In my mind that Austin Reaves Is a fan favourite ... Undrafted Rookie, Just to become a Laker #respect and also smart :)

2nd year getting Allstar votes of 392,546 votes??

BIO: Austin Tyler Reaves (born May 29, 1998), nicknamed “Hillbilly Kobe”

He Is by far a fan fav of mine, but so was Caruso - damn imagine those two together?

Recent Links confirm both Lakers and Austin want to be signed so how much?

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/270860/Austin-Reaves-Lakers-Have-Mutual-Interest-In-New-Deal-In-Offseason

This means Lakers can off 50.8 mil for four years - that's $12.7 mil per year for four years?

Teams can offer more and there Is no doubt that some team out there will offer $15 and maybe over pay him of $20 mil a year, I wouldn't be surprised - Lakers have early bird rights :) and can match any team that offers Austin - It's all on Austin If he wants to stay In LA for real and $$$ don't go to his head - time will tell.

I myself really hoping he opts In for 12.5 mil or so and doesn't get greedy with offers from other teams and Lakers have to match that offer - hope he realizes he going to get more money staying In LaL and getting endorsements etc but again time will tell.

So with all due to respect, to Reaves how much would you all pay him?

Random youtube vides no perticular order and don't folow any

My Personal Top 10 all time
Jordan, Russell, Bird, Duncan, Magic, Kobe, Curry, Shaq, Kareem, Bron

Top 5 will always be the same, 6-10 will change from time to time :)
I'm a Kobe fan
ROballer
General Manager
And1: 2,760

Re: Let's Talk about Fan Fav Austin Reaves Thread poll #1 

Post#2 » by ROballer » Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:53 pm

50 mil is not happening, sorry.

That's peanuts money in today's league. Richaun Holmes gets 12 mil per and he can't get a minute on the Kings.

Duncan Robinson who can't crack the rotation anymore on the Heat and who is unplayable because of his defense is getting 18 mil per.
Davis Bertans is in the same boat and gets 16 mil per. You can't expect Reaves to take 12.

He will sign an offer sheet, as he should. He has 2 years under his belt, he doesn't need to give us the home discount of the 50 milly just because we can't offer more straight up.

He's getting 20 mil per year from someone. And we're matching that.
Steve Nash injures his back while carrying bags

Slava wrote:I pulled a hammy while fapping. I won't make fun of Nash.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,248

Post#3 » by Kilroy » Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:27 pm

So we have Reaves, Dlo, Rui, Brown, Schroder, LW4, and maybe beasley... Assuming Gabriel is not coming back...

Who stays and who steps?... Sounds like they're trying to go cheap with Rui (10M/yr)... I assume the same with Dlo.. I mean going cheap...
Is Reaves the only guy we step up for?

I like him, but 20m per just seems like crazy money...
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
ROballer
General Manager

Post#4 » by ROballer » Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:23 pm

With the cap rise and all, it really isn't Kilroy.

20 mil per is starting caliber/6th man player money. I think we all agree Reaves can become that if he already isn't.

I gave some examples above. Let's look at our current roster. Beasley is making 15 mil per and he's not even close to being the same caliber of impact player.
We also tried to sign Schroder to a 4 year/84 mil deal the last time he was here and he declined that. That version of Schroder was also not on the level Reaves showed all season long, while also being older.

His agent is not dumb, there's no f way he settles for 50 mil when he can sign an offer sheet 30+ mil bigger. I believe he wants to stay a Laker but not at any cost.

In the 18-20 mil per range we have players like Hield, Tim Hardaway Jr., Eric Gordon, Caris Levert, Even Fournier, Bogdan Bogdanovic,
Derrick White, Norman Powell, Marcus Morris, etc.

I think Reaves is better than most of them right now with a huge margin of getting even better considering he's a 2nd year player(albeit older of age). I think his agent has a list on his wall as well with guys making that money that are worse.

I mean 4 years 50 mil is ridiculously low.

Making money in that range are Devonte Graham, Dwight Powell, Terrence Ross, Danny Green, Josh Richardson, Robert Covington, Chris Boucher, Luke Kennard, Doug McDermott, Patrick Beverley, etc.

Guys who struggle getting 20 mins on their teams if that.

It's a different world out there. 20 mil a year is not that much nowadays with the humongus cap.

Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#5 » by Kilroy » Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:49 pm

I mean, I'm not arguing that Reaves doesn't deserve that, or that he won't be offered it... I just wonder with all the other contracts we have up in the air, where he fits in the priority list...

Personally, I really like everyone we have outside of Gabriel.... And I'm not convinced Dlo, AD and LeBron can win it all anymore... but I don't really see any upgrades to be had there... Dlo may be the best available option this summer, for that role, considering money and fit...
So, if it was up to me, I'd pay Reaves what he wanted, and I'd try to get the rest of them outside of the top 3, what they wanted too, and just roll it back.. Maybe look for a better C option than Gabriel...
stan francisco
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,562

Post#6 » by stan francisco » Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:06 pm

Yeast in bread. Caruso with touch. Keep him!!!

Caruso… and all the other ‘soul-of-the-team’ players that we let go. Don’t do that with Reaves, please. A championship team needs to rebuild from losing all of their role players. We’re almost there. Reaves is graduating from being a role player to becoming a key player, a starter. I’d argue he’s our third best player.

I say we should be smart here and pay him very competitively, but I’d beg him and his agent to be reasonable enough so we can keep the band together and go for rings next season.

He’ll be the third best player behind AD and LBJ on the Lakers next season.
NBA titles since the merger: LAL 11, CHI 6, SAS 5, BOS 5, GSW 4.
SlimShady83
General Manager

Post#7 » by SlimShady83 » Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:31 am

Kilroy wrote:So we have Reaves, Dlo, Rui, Brown, Schroder, LW4, and maybe beasley... Assuming Gabriel is not coming back...

Who stays and who steps?... Sounds like they're trying to go cheap with Rui (10M/yr)... I assume the same with Dlo.. I mean going cheap...
Is Reaves the only guy we step up for?

I like him, but 20m per just seems like crazy money...

Will post another thread soon, but there were talks about Kyrie and Lakers still want him? If Lakers want Kyrie they got to get rid of pretty much everyone on the roster Including Reaves and I don't think they're going to do that. I think they're looking to build around AD/DLO post Bron. I don't want AD but that's another topic haha.

For me though Reaves should be priority number 1 In getting him signed first, then Dlo

I'm a Kobe fan
dAdo dA dEvil
Sixth Man
And1: 479

Post#8 » by dAdo dA dEvil » Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:49 pm

Reaves is the priority to keep this season. Spend money on him rather than DLo or our other free agents. Match whatever other teams offer him.
Beethoven
Head Coach
And1: 3,875

Post#9 » by Beethoven » Thu Mar 23, 2023 2:02 pm

Pay him whatever he wants. He's a keeper no matter what.
Kobe Bryant forever
GO LAKERS
8-)
ROballer
General Manager

Post#10 » by ROballer » Wed Apr 19, 2023 5:06 pm

Time to revisit this.

As I said, 52 was delusional talking even then. 80 is delusional talk even now.

He's getting the Arenas max. 4 years and 99 mil. If we match it's a poison pill deal, first 2 years he'll get 12-13 mil per year, last 2 years about 35 mil per year. If we don't match he will average about 25 per year for the team that gets him.

It's pretty much a guarantee he's going to be paid by someone the absolute max he can get. And I still want it to be by us.

Beasley has a team option and Bamba is nonguaranteed. If we pay Reaves his money + Russell + Rui it's pretty much a guarantee we're letting those two walk for nothing, since they account to 26 mil per year in salaries and not doing anything.

Yes, NOTHING in return. As long as we get to keep Reaves, Russell and Rui I'm perfectly fine not using Beasley and Bamba in another trade, which will bring back additional salaries. Other people here(you know who you are) should be as well, and shut their mouths about trade proposals which will have no chance of happening.

We will improve with the draft pick we own and that's it. And it's enough.

stan francisco
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,562

Post#11 » by stan francisco » Wed Apr 19, 2023 10:03 pm

He’s worth a four year offer at $70m (16, 17, 18, 19). Higher than that and he starts to eat up team the cap more than he adds. See Derek Fisher in 2003 at GSW for what happens when you sign a role player for star money. But maybe Reaves is not a role player like Fisher. He did score 73 in a HS game. It’s an interesting situation. I’d bet on Reaves and overpay a bit if push came to shove, but I think he’d rather win rings than make an extra two million over the next ten years and go ring less.
NBA titles since the merger: LAL 11, CHI 6, SAS 5, BOS 5, GSW 4.
ROballer
General Manager

Post#12 » by ROballer » Thu Apr 20, 2023 4:23 am

We can't offer more than 52 straight up.

We can pay him more only if he signs an offer sheet with someone else, which we have the right to match.

I'm telling you what won't happen....him getting 99 mil deals and saying Nah', I'm good with 70, got to help the Lakers here.

SlimShady83
General Manager

Post#13 » by SlimShady83 » Thu Apr 20, 2023 5:41 am

All I care right now ...

Reaves better be getting paid by Lakers and Lakers better match any offer other teams offer him.

They don't sign Reaves to a contract, I won't be watching for a while :)

I'm a Kobe fan
That_Casual
Sophomore
And1: 35

Post#14 » by That_Casual » Thu Apr 20, 2023 9:32 am

65/4 is what i’d be looking at.

He’s a really good player. Reliable. But he’s a #4 on a championship roster. Maybe even a #5.

65/4 I think represents fair value.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#15 » by Kilroy » Thu Apr 20, 2023 2:57 pm

ROballer wrote:Time to revisit this.

He's getting the Arenas max. 4 years and 99 mil. If we match it's a poison pill deal, first 2 years he'll get 12-13 mil per year, last 2 years about 35 mil per year. If we don't match he will average about 25 per year for the team that gets him.

It's pretty much a guarantee he's going to be paid by someone the absolute max he can get. And I still want it to be by us.

Beasley has a team option and Bamba is nonguaranteed. If we pay Reaves his money + Russell + Rui it's pretty much a guarantee we're letting those two walk for nothing, since they account to 26 mil per year in salaries and not doing anything.

Yes, NOTHING in return. As long as we get to keep Reaves, Russell and Rui I'm perfectly fine not using Beasley and Bamba in another trade, which will bring back additional salaries. Other people here(you know who you are) should be as well, and shut their mouths about trade proposals which will have no chance of happening.

At what point do we start to look at Russell's play-in and post season performance and decide maybe we don't need to resign him? I'm firmly on the fence, so it's a serious question...
TyCobb
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 9,835

Post#16 » by TyCobb » Thu Apr 20, 2023 3:25 pm

I wouldn’t keep either guy at the numbers being thrown around.
Read more, learn more, change your posts.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#17 » by Kilroy » Thu Apr 20, 2023 4:08 pm

TyCobb wrote:I wouldn’t keep either guy at the numbers being thrown around.

Either Reaves or Russell? Yeah, I'm kinda there too... I get the market but still...

I have no real strong feeling about Bamba or Beasley... And I'm pretty sure we're going to be outbid there too... That said, Reaves and DLo as good as they are, might not be enough with LeBron and AD if we lose the depth we have right now. That's our real differentiator right now...
That_Casual
Sophomore

Post#18 » by That_Casual » Thu Apr 20, 2023 4:11 pm

Kilroy wrote:
ROballer wrote:Time to revisit this.

At what point do we start to look at Russell's play-in and post season performance and decide maybe we don't need to resign him? I'm firmly on the fence, so it's a serious question...

You can’t let him walk because it gives you nothing to really replace him with tbh.

Either re-sign him and play him next year as he’s good in the regular season, and then trade him at the deadline, or use him in a sign and trade in the off season
ROballer
General Manager

Post#19 » by ROballer » Thu Apr 20, 2023 6:32 pm

That_Casual wrote:65/4 is what i’d be looking at.

He’s a really good player. Reliable. But he’s a #4 on a championship roster. Maybe even a #5.

It's not how it works.

For the millionth time:

He either signs OUR contract, which can be 4 years/52 mil at most(bird rights issues).

He signs an offer sheet with somebody else. With the Arenas provision, he can sign to 4 years/99 mil. Which we can match because he's restricted.
There are multiple reports from league executives who are saying he will get max offers and even a team(Utah) who has shown interest to offer that.

So it's either 52 or 99. There's no in between's here, 65, 70, 80 and whatnots are not happening so it's not worthing debating this. He's not signing an offer sheet worth less than 99 if he has that deal on the table.

The only thing worth talking is if you guys would be ok with the matching offer at 99. Yes or no?
Forget about what you think he's really worth based on X, Y, Z, it really won't come to that.

That_Casual
Sophomore

Post#20 » by That_Casual » Thu Apr 20, 2023 6:42 pm

ROballer wrote:
That_Casual wrote:65/4 is what i’d be looking at.

It's not how it works.

For the millionth time:

He either signs OUR contract, which can be 4 years/52 mil at most(bird rights issues).

He signs an offer sheet with somebody else. With the Arenas provision, he can sign to 4 years/99 mil. Which we can match because he's restricted.
There are multiple reports from league executives who are saying he will get max offers and even a team(Utah) who has shown interest to offer that.

So it's either 52 or 99. There's no in between's here, 65, 70, 80 and whatnots are not happening so it's not worthing debating this. He's not signing an offer sheet worth less than 99 if he has that deal on the table.

The only thing worth talking is if you guys would be ok with the matching offer at 99. Yes or no?
Forget about what you think he's really worth based on X, Y, Z, it really won't come to that.

Well maybe you should stop saying it for a million times because you don’t know what you’re talking about.

There absolutely is an in between. Teams are NOT obligated to offer him $99m. A team can absolutely offer him more than $52m but way less than $99m.

A team with $17m in cap space for example would be able to offer him around 68/4.

And NOBODY is offering him $99m. I guarantee that. Not a damn team in this league is offering a 25 year old undrafted player who has 3 months of being a starter and #3 or #4 on a team a contract that would see him be paid $37m and $39m in years 3 and 4.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers