ImageImageImageImageImage

What’s The Malik Beasley Trade This Offseason?

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

MAMBAEMD
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,622

Re: What’s The Malik Beasley Trade This Offseason? 

Post#21 » by MAMBAEMD » Sat Apr 1, 2023 9:42 pm

Kilroy wrote:
That_Casual wrote:
Kilroy wrote:I'm not ready to give up on Beasley yet... He may not be figuring it out here yet, but like Rui, there's untapped potential there... And we don't really need to upgrade there right now...

How on earth do we not need to upgrade? It’s PAINFULLY clear it’s our weakest position.

Untapped potential? He literally offers nothing other than chucking 3s. Even if he comes a good shooter his ceiling is like Joe Harris level.

Because we'd not be upgrading Beasley, we'd be upgrading Reaves and DLo, who will both be getting the lion's share of those minutes...

Beasley is what he's always been, a streaky jump shooter... That type of player can take a while to work into a rotation, because not only does he need to get comfortable, the rest of the team needs to figure out when to get him the ball, so that it finds him in his spots...

He's been absolutely phenominal for us some games, it's just the last handful or so where he's made some defensive mistakes and his shot hasn't been falling. But he's not bad for a 3rd string SG/wing...

I'm not opposed to trading any of our guards honestly, but I just don't think focusing on Beasley as the position we need to bolster makes any sense...

We don't really have a starting C right now, for instance... I like Bamba, but I'm not sure he's the right option there.

Our best lineup is DLo, Reaves, Vandy, LeBron, AD... And that could be upgraded, but not by much... The backups are all solid too.. Schroder, Brown Jr, Rui, Bamba, LW4, and yes even Beasley... Along with Christie, etc...

I'm just not sure why people are so lazer focused on Beasley as the source of all problems right now...

I’d do everything I can to keep this team together but that’ll be near impossible .
Since the break, this team has been near the top defensively and in the top 5 in rebounding .
Offensively we are in a great position when AD is aggressive and he is surrounded by solid scorers.
I’d definitely not give up on Beasley yet.
Formerly lakerRD
stan francisco
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,558

Post#22 » by stan francisco » Sun Apr 2, 2023 9:43 am

That_Casual wrote:
stan francisco wrote:
That_Casual wrote:Yeah lets hard cap ourselves for Fred Van Vleet.

Bro, piss off with your DLo hate

Thanks! How friendly of you.

It’s not D Lo hate, just No D intolerance. His offense is good enough. He has ways to go before his defense is elite. If not elite on defense, buh-bye.

It’s strictly from a winning perspective. Defense wins rings. Last week he played hookie on defense, every possession. That spells Celtics or Clippers rings. I’m going to call it out.

His D effort was much better yesterday. Someone (LBJ and/or Ham) must’ve yelled at him. For real.

Offense-only self proclaimed stars should take a 50% pay cut because if not, they prevent their teams from winning.

Nothing personal. I just want my team to win, which requires defense better than the current Celtics, or they might add a championship this year.

Yes, pants-on-fire urgency.

Strange then we have the #1 defence in the league with D’Lo huh?

Trade LeBron as well I assume because he clearly isn’t great on defence any more.

Like I said, I don’t mind him at all when the team defense is rock solid. Nothing personal. All about defense. His defense isn’t even third string grade. When LBJ was out D Lo cheated on defense and we lost three games because of it. That’s when Ham benched him for two games.

He plays no contact basketball, both ends.

Our defense isn’t number one because of D Lo, it’s despite his lack of defense. Hiding and playing no contact defense just won’t work in a seven game series.

Clockwork orange session with a video recommended for D Lo, and for all fans who haven’t yet grown into appreciating what elite defense does to the opponent, Kobe 08-10:
NBA titles since the merger: LAL 11, CHI 6, SAS 5, BOS 5, GSW 4.
Jody Smokz
Starter
And1: 1,393

Post#23 » by Jody Smokz » Mon Apr 3, 2023 11:16 pm

DLo is who he is. He also has physical limitations that prevent him for being an elite defender imo. No excuses for effort plays though. No matter how much DLo watches Kobe he'll never defend that way. Comparing an all time great to a fringe all star/role player is nonsense to me.

Lakers fans are way too critical of role players. DLo is a great piece if AD/Lebron are the foundation of the team. He's a legit playmaker and scorer that can do both at a high level if he's not tasked with having to lead or organize a team. This is what makes him more dangerous in LA than in Minnesota.

stan francisco wrote:
That_Casual wrote:
stan francisco wrote:
Thanks! How friendly of you.

It’s not D Lo hate, just No D intolerance. His offense is good enough. He has ways to go before his defense is elite. If not elite on defense, buh-bye.

It’s strictly from a winning perspective. Defense wins rings. Last week he played hookie on defense, every possession. That spells Celtics or Clippers rings. I’m going to call it out.

His D effort was much better yesterday. Someone (LBJ and/or Ham) must’ve yelled at him. For real.

Offense-only self proclaimed stars should take a 50% pay cut because if not, they prevent their teams from winning.

Nothing personal. I just want my team to win, which requires defense better than the current Celtics, or they might add a championship this year.

Yes, pants-on-fire urgency.

Trade LeBron as well I assume because he clearly isn’t great on defence any more.

Like I said, I don’t mind him at all when the team defense is rock solid. Nothing personal. All about defense. His defense isn’t even third string grade. When LBJ was out D Lo cheated on defense and we lost three games because of it. That’s when Ham benched him for two games.

Our defense isn’t number one because of D Lo, it’s despite his lack of defense. Hiding and playing no contact defense just won’t work in a seven game series.

Clockwork orange session with a video recommended for D Lo, and for all fans who haven’t yet grown into appreciating what elite defense does to the opponent, Kobe 08-10:
stan francisco
Lead Assistant

Post#24 » by stan francisco » Tue Apr 4, 2023 2:02 am

Jody Smokz wrote:DLo is who he is. He also has physical limitations that prevent him for being an elite defender imo. No excuses for effort plays though. No matter how much DLo watches Kobe he'll never defend that way. Comparing an all time great to a fringe all star/role player is nonsense to me.

Lakers fans are way too critical of role players. DLo is a great piece if AD/Lebron are the foundation of the team. He's a legit playmaker and scorer that can do both at a high level if he's not tasked with having to lead or organize a team. This is what makes him more dangerous in LA than in Minnesota.

stan francisco wrote:
That_Casual wrote:

Good points. I’m not at all critical of what he brings offensively, actually. He’s a good fit on offense.

Also not saying he should be like Kobe on defense, lol. Just trying to point out, and alert to some posters into start studying what good defense can look like.

Elite defense from all rotation players will be needed to beat the Celtics in the finals. Clippers, Nuggets and the Suns, too.
Memories
Veteran
And1: 4,929

Post#25 » by Memories » Tue Apr 4, 2023 4:19 am

Lakers have Max Christie to replace Beasley going forward.

I would say with the Lakers scouting department being top notch, just trade Beasley for a 2nd round pick in the draft, and find another gem there like they usually do. That player would also be much cheaper both now and in the long term.

That would also free up money to make sure the Lakers resign their guys Rui, DLO and Reaves while avoiding the 2nd tax apron line.
Memories wrote:
Ballerhogger wrote:
Memories wrote:So still not at all over yet.

Nah it’s over 121 to 107

Clippers go on a 15-0 run right after this, and eventually win the game. :lol:
zuju
Senior
And1: 126

Post#26 » by zuju » Tue Apr 4, 2023 5:45 am

Walker and Beasley are the most replaceable players on the team esp if we resigned Reaves.

The starting line up
AD Vando LBJ Reaves Dlo

Major rotation players
Gabriel Troy Brown Rui Schrolder

To be evaluated
Bamba

On cheap deals
Christie

Thats already 11 players deep team and has problem to retain them all.

Potential addition on the cheap
Stanley Johnson

Unless any of Walker or Beasley became key to wins in the playoff, trading Beasleyvand let go of Walker may be the best option for them (walker is not getting the vet min)

I agreed if we can get a gem in the draft, that'd be great. Be reminded, we will probably keep our own FRP this offseason.
stan francisco
Lead Assistant

Post#27 » by stan francisco » Tue Apr 4, 2023 9:20 am

zuju wrote:Walker and Beasley are the most replaceable players on the team esp if we resigned Reaves.

The starting line up
AD Vando LBJ Reaves Dlo

Major rotation players
Gabriel Troy Brown Rui Schrolder

To be evaluated
Bamba

On cheap deals
Christie

Thats already 11 players deep team and has problem to retain them all.

Potential addition on the cheap
Stanley Johnson

Unless any of Walker or Beasley became key to wins in the playoff, trading Beasleyvand let go of Walker may be the best option for them (walker is not getting the vet min)

I agreed if we can get a gem in the draft, that'd be great. Be reminded, we will probably keep our own FRP this offseason.

I agree streaky Beasley will have to be further evaluated during the post season. Defense needs work. I’m guessing Lonnie will surprise once D Lo has to sit.
TimeisIllmatic
Sixth Man
And1: 321

Post#28 » by TimeisIllmatic » Fri Apr 7, 2023 7:11 am

I don't know if Max Christie is ready for rotational minutes yet. He's about another year or two away from being ready for big minutes.

But regarding Malik, I don't think the Lakers are trading him.
That_Casual
Sophomore
And1: 35

Post#29 » by That_Casual » Fri Apr 7, 2023 7:31 pm

TimeisIllmatic wrote:I don't know if Max Christie is ready for rotational minutes yet. He's about another year or two away from being ready for big minutes.

Why on earth would they keep him? He’s $16.5m in salary who offers nothing but 3 point shooting In theory who’s not actually even offering the 3 point shooting. He’s went from being a starter. To a bench player. To a low minutes bench player.

Try trade him for Hield.
TimeisIllmatic
Sixth Man
And1: 321

Post#30 » by TimeisIllmatic » Fri Apr 7, 2023 8:53 pm

That_Casual wrote:
TimeisIllmatic wrote:I don't know if Max Christie is ready for rotational minutes yet. He's about another year or two away from being ready for big minutes.

Why on earth would they keep him? He’s $16.5m in salary who offers nothing but 3 point shooting In theory who’s not actually even offering the 3 point shooting. He’s went from being a starter. To a bench player. To a low minutes bench player.

Try trade him for Hield.

How does that benefit Indiana? Hield is an expiring just like Beasley and a much better shooter. Since you mentioned Earth, let's make sure we stay in reality here.

If you can find me a more reasonable trade offer for Beasley, I can be more open to hearing out a trade. Saying Hield just further keeps the "Lakers fans are delusional" mantra correct.
That_Casual
Sophomore
And1: 35

Post#31 » by That_Casual » Sun Apr 9, 2023 1:09 am

TimeisIllmatic wrote:
That_Casual wrote:

Try trade him for Hield.

How does that benefit Indiana? Hield is an expiring just like Beasley and a much better shooter. Since you mentioned Earth, let's make sure we stay in reality here.

If you can find me a more reasonable trade offer for Beasley, I can be more open to hearing out a trade. Saying Hield just further keeps the "Lakers fans are delusional" mantra correct.
because you obviously attach picks to the trade.
crazy8ights
Analyst
And1: 75

Post#32 » by crazy8ights » Sun Apr 9, 2023 1:12 am

stan francisco wrote:Beasley and D Lo for FVV.

god level troll
stan francisco
Lead Assistant

Post#33 » by stan francisco » Sun Apr 9, 2023 6:09 pm

crazy8ights wrote:
stan francisco wrote:Beasley and D Lo for FVV.

god level troll

Actually, I’m a local who obsesses about having a roster full of only two-way players. My apologies if I’ve been too brash about D Lo’s defense. Happy Easter.
TylersLakers
RealGM
And1: 2,824

Post#34 » by TylersLakers » Mon Apr 10, 2023 11:00 pm

I might be crazy..

But I'd re-sign Beasley. Decline his team option to sign him long term. Sign him for a 3 year contract starting at $10M a season.
tamaraw08
Analyst
And1: 1,312

Post#35 » by tamaraw08 » Tue Apr 11, 2023 1:56 am

No shooters are expected to consistently have hot shooting nights but How many games did he struggle hitting those shots out total games played?
Can they find cheaper alternatives because their priorities should be Reaves?
Lonnie? Ross? Josh Richardson?
TheHartBreakKid
General Manager
And1: 4,332

Post#36 » by TheHartBreakKid » Tue Apr 11, 2023 8:14 am

With the new cap rules, I don't think we could realistically afford Beasley. Dlo, Rui, and Reeves need to be re-signed, with the latter 2 getting a significant raise.

TylersLakers wrote:I might be crazy..

But I'd re-sign Beasley. Decline his team option to sign him long term. Sign him for a 3 year contract starting at $10M a season.

^That said, if Rob can pull off something like this, I'm all for it. That would probably be the best case scenario.

We just can't afford to pay him 15 million next year. I have faith in the FO to make the right decision.
Vae Victus
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,838

Post#37 » by Vae Victus » Tue Apr 11, 2023 4:53 pm

The more I think about it the more I think Beasley is gonna be a cap casualty if he doesn’t ball out in the playoffs. Paying him 16mil is a waste when Jeannie needs to prioritize to pay Austin Reaves, which the correct move. As much as I’d prefer to keep his salary on the books to use as trade ballast to package with this years FRP for a win now piece, I just don’t see Jeannie willing to pay that much more in luxury penalties. TBF with Reaves emergence it makes keeping Beasley pointless, so just letting him go makes sense.

Now personally I’d try to execute a move like S&T DLo + Beasley + LAL 2023 FRP for S&T Kyrie and then just keep Bamba on his option, re-sign Reaves/Rui, re-sign as many of the vet min dudes back on the min, get the best MLE player possible and call it an offseason. Unfortunately I know that’ll never happen as the tax implications will be staggering for a repeat offender like the Lakers.

I see Beasley gone no matter what to save on his money and using DLo new contract as salary ballast + LAL 2022?FRP for an upgrade at the PG spot in a S&T. I also see Mo Bamba being cut as well, to save on even more money even though the team needs someone like him.

I personally feel the team as is, is a legit contender next season. But Jeannie doesn’t want to pay a huge tax bill if she can help it. So this might be the last best year for a chip as Lebron gets another year older and it’s unreasonable to expect him to keep up his MVP caliber player level in more his age 39 season.
Spens1
RealGM
And1: 3,878

Post#38 » by Spens1 » Sun Apr 16, 2023 1:47 am

Buddy Hield? He's the right type of player also and is an upgrade over Beasley.
DanishLakerFan
Veteran
And1: 569

Post#39 » by DanishLakerFan » Mon Apr 17, 2023 6:58 am

Spens1 wrote:Buddy Hield? He's the right type of player also and is an upgrade over Beasley.

Buddy Hield would be solid as hell. He's a much better and more consistent 3pt shooter than Beasley, but the question is whether they're willing to cough up a the 1st round pick to get him.

As much as i would like the Lakers to chase a major player i think it may come down to the contract situation on the team.

They have to lock in as many of their current guys as they can (Rui, Reaves, D'Lo, Schroeder, Troy Brown Jr.), but that's going to be so expensive that they may have to let Beasley walk.
ROballer
General Manager
And1: 2,754

Post#40 » by ROballer » Wed Apr 19, 2023 5:20 pm

DanishLakerFan wrote:
Spens1 wrote:Buddy Hield? He's the right type of player also and is an upgrade over Beasley.

Buddy Hield would be solid as hell. He's a much better and more consistent 3pt shooter than Beasley, but the question is whether they're willing to cough up a the 1st round pick to get him.

As much as i would like the Lakers to chase a major player i think it may come down to the contract situation on the team.

They have to lock in as many of their current guys as they can (Rui, Reaves, D'Lo, Schroeder, Troy Brown Jr.), but that's going to be so expensive that they may have to let Beasley walk.

That's precisely what they are going to do so all the trade scenario shenanigans need to cease.
We're not the Warriors, Jeanie is not paying hundreds of millions of dollars in tax money because random people on the internet want "upgrades" over players giving zero production.

Beasley and Bamba account for 26 million next year while not giving an ounce of impact back. You can't root for the guys who are impacting the game, getting paid their due(the trio we all know about)...while also pouting about upgrades with Beasley and Bamba's salary.

It
is
not
happening

This is a non worthy thread to be had honestly. Beasley is gone with zero salary in return. Bamba as well.

I'm almost 100% convinced we're keeping Reaves, Russell and Rui at any cost, so the only upgrades we'll be doing is with the picks and via the minimum salary market. And people should be ok with this.
Steve Nash injures his back while carrying bags

Slava wrote:I pulled a hammy while fapping. I won't make fun of Nash.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers