ImageImageImageImageImage

What’s The Malik Beasley Trade This Offseason?

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

Showtime:Part2
General Manager
And1: 495

Re: What’s The Malik Beasley Trade This Offseason? 

Post#81 » by Showtime:Part2 » Sat May 13, 2023 5:21 pm

Vae Victus wrote:One idea im thinking is this. The FA market is pretty terrible and there isnt that much cap space out there. Cap space teams arent likely looking to sign any of our FAs except maybe Reaves. I dont see Beasley or Bamba having teams super eager to sign them with the way theyve played this year so far.

For Beasley and Bamba they both have team option/unguaranteed deals. What if we're willing to re-work their deals. Both are unlikely to get any significant FA offers and at most somewhere around the tax MLE. What if the Lakers decline their 2024 contracts, then re-negotiate for a much smaller 1+1 deal with 2nd year player option, all while retaining their bird rights. Lakers can retain their depth, pay much less in lux taxes, and these two players will get a deal around the TMLE for a year and retain the ability to jump back into the FA market next year after boosting their value and when there's more cap room available. Also they get a whole season to play with a nicely balanced Laker team that'll play them heavily and better integrate them after a training camp. Bamba i think can look real good either starting or backing up AD at the C, and get at least 20 starts for when AD gets nicked up or load manages. Beasley can potentially be the 3rd guard behind DLo and Reaves and hopefully get back his old mojo in order to cash in.

I would love to see a jumbo lineup of Bamba, AD, LBJ, Beasley, and DLo, where AD is the worst 3 pt shooter and given a shitton of spacing. Bench mob being led by Reaves and Rui would also be real nice. This way, the Lakers can retain their TMLE to re-sign someone else like Shroeder or even Lonnie Walker.

I don’t understand if ur signing Dennis to the tmle then how are u offering a deal the same size to Bamba and/or Beasley? Wouldn’t it have to be a vet min?
Warspite:

Prince + filler for Kobe Bryant
To be honest the way Prince has played and with Kobes injury/age/mileage Im not sure I would do that deal either. Still Prince is more important and he wins the head to head battles with Kobe.
ROballer
General Manager
And1: 2,754

Post#82 » by ROballer » Sat May 13, 2023 6:25 pm

Some of you guys are still overthinking this and will be due to a reality check hammer as soon as the picking options season starts, and this scrub is let go for nothing.

This team reached the WCF, win or lose now, it doesn't matter. You 100% need to run it back close with the same core to give them a training camp together like Russell said.

Priority is Reaves, Russell, Hachimura and Schroder. That's it.
And the FO will probably pay anything to get these four back, since they are huge minutes rotation guys for a WCF team.

Dime a dozen scrubs like Beasley, Troy Brown, Bamba and Lonnie Walker are not priorities.

Nor a trade involving bringing back huge chunks of salaries. For what exactly? You have your rotation core already.
These 4 are DNP to very low minutes guys in the playoffs and make a lot of money combined.
You can easily replace these spots with minimum salary players.

You sign the must four, you draft well at #17, you give Max Christie some burn every single game(there's no reason he can't play 15 minutes every damn game, young players need floor run, not warming the bench)...and you sign vet min guys to round out the roster.

That's it and that's gonna happen. Pulling fantasy trades out of asses is just wasting time tbh.
Steve Nash injures his back while carrying bags

Slava wrote:I pulled a hammy while fapping. I won't make fun of Nash.
scoobs07
Starter
And1: 82

Post#83 » by scoobs07 » Sat May 13, 2023 7:13 pm

ROballer wrote:Some of you guys are still overthinking this and will be due to a reality check hammer as soon as the picking options season starts, and this scrub is let go for nothing.

This team reached the WCF, win or lose now, it doesn't matter. You 100% need to run it back close with the same core to give them a training camp together like Russell said.

And the FO will probably pay anything to get these four back, since they are huge minutes rotation guys for a WCF team.

Dime a dozen scrubs like Beasley, Troy Brown, Bamba and Lonnie Walker are not priorities.

Nor a trade involving bringing back huge chunks of salaries. For what exactly? You have your rotation core already.
These 4 are DNP to very low minutes guys in the playoffs and make a lot of money combined.

You sign the must four, you draft well at #17, you give Max Christie some burn every single game(there's no reason he can't play 15 minutes every damn game, young players need floor run, not warming the bench)...and you sign vet min guys to round out the roster.

That's it and that's gonna happen. Pulling fantasy trades out of asses is just wasting time tbh.

Agreed 100%. Feel free to argue with these numbers, but here are the 2023-2024 salaries that I have projected for these guys.

[*]Reaves 11.4M (Maximum he could get)
[*]Russell 33M (Might seem a bit high to some, but his is on a two-year extension. This gives the Lakers added financial flexibility in two years).
[*]Hachimura (He could get higher offers, but I think he ends up with 15M).
[*]Shroeder (7.3M TPMLE, because that's all we would have left to pay him).
nzahir
RealGM
And1: 4,768

Post#84 » by nzahir » Sat May 13, 2023 8:47 pm

Showtime:Part2 wrote:
Vae Victus wrote:One idea im thinking is this. The FA market is pretty terrible and there isnt that much cap space out there. Cap space teams arent likely looking to sign any of our FAs except maybe Reaves. I dont see Beasley or Bamba having teams super eager to sign them with the way theyve played this year so far.

For Beasley and Bamba they both have team option/unguaranteed deals. What if we're willing to re-work their deals. Both are unlikely to get any significant FA offers and at most somewhere around the tax MLE. What if the Lakers decline their 2024 contracts, then re-negotiate for a much smaller 1+1 deal with 2nd year player option, all while retaining their bird rights. Lakers can retain their depth, pay much less in lux taxes, and these two players will get a deal around the TMLE for a year and retain the ability to jump back into the FA market next year after boosting their value and when there's more cap room available. Also they get a whole season to play with a nicely balanced Laker team that'll play them heavily and better integrate them after a training camp. Bamba i think can look real good either starting or backing up AD at the C, and get at least 20 starts for when AD gets nicked up or load manages. Beasley can potentially be the 3rd guard behind DLo and Reaves and hopefully get back his old mojo in order to cash in.

I would love to see a jumbo lineup of Bamba, AD, LBJ, Beasley, and DLo, where AD is the worst 3 pt shooter and given a shitton of spacing. Bench mob being led by Reaves and Rui would also be real nice. This way, the Lakers can retain their TMLE to re-sign someone else like Shroeder or even Lonnie Walker.

I don’t understand if ur signing Dennis to the tmle then how are u offering a deal the same size to Bamba and/or Beasley? Wouldn’t it have to be a vet min?

Bamba and Beasley have team options...
nzahir
RealGM

Post#85 » by nzahir » Sat May 13, 2023 8:49 pm

ROballer wrote:Some of you guys are still overthinking this and will be due to a reality check hammer as soon as the picking options season starts, and this scrub is let go for nothing.

Why wouldn't we maximize our talent and trade #17 with Beasley and or Bamba and get another 1-2 guys to that core

The core is Bron, AD, Reaves, Dlo, Vando, Rui, and possibly Dennis (mle is all we can offer)

Still lacking a backup C
Lacking a backup 2/3 who can shoot and be an upgrade to Beasley/TBJ/Lonnie
Can also argue you want a 3/4 who can shoot it a bit better than Rui
nzahir
RealGM

Post#86 » by nzahir » Sat May 13, 2023 8:49 pm

scoobs07 wrote:

Agreed 100%. Feel free to argue with these numbers, but here are the 2023-2024 salaries that I have projected for these guys.

[*]Reaves 11.4M (Maximum he could get)
[*]Russell 33M (Might seem a bit high to some, but his is on a two-year extension. This gives the Lakers added financial flexibility in two years).
[*]Hachimura (He could get higher offers, but I think he ends up with 15M).
[*]Shroeder (7.3M TPMLE, because that's all we would have left to pay him).

Can Reaves get more if another team offers more and we have to match?
General Manager

Post#87 » by Showtime:Part2 » Sat May 13, 2023 9:53 pm

nzahir wrote:

But that’s not what he said. He said renegotiate the deals to tmle level. It’s either we pick up the option or we don’t and try to sign them for the min. There’s no in between unless we use our one tmle on one of those bums instead of Dennis (which won’t happen)
Warspite:

To be honest the way Prince has played and with Kobes injury/age/mileage Im not sure I would do that deal either. Still Prince is more important and he wins the head to head battles with Kobe.
Vae Victus
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,838

Post#88 » by Vae Victus » Sun May 14, 2023 3:15 am

nzahir wrote:

But that’s not what he said. He said renegotiate the deals to tmle level. It’s either we pick up the option or we don’t and try to sign them for the min. There’s no in between unless we use our one tmle on one of those bums instead of Dennis (which won’t happen)

Because we're not using our TMLE to sign Bamba and Beasley. I think we have their bird rights (bird) and can resign them to whatever we want. If we dont retain their bird rights then my scenario is moot as we need to use our TMLE or opt them in. Basically i dont see their respective markets able to get anything more than the TMLE which is why a 1+1 player option TMLE sized deal would worthwhile to them. They can opt out if they have a good year and try to get a much better contract.

But hey, if we can retain them for the vet min, then that's even better :P
ROballer
General Manager
And1: 2,754

Post#89 » by ROballer » Sun May 14, 2023 5:37 am

nzahir wrote:

Why wouldn't we maximize our talent and trade #17 with Beasley and or Bamba and get another 1-2 guys to that core

The core is Bron, AD, Reaves, Dlo, Vando, Rui, and possibly Dennis (mle is all we can offer)

Still lacking a backup C
Because Beasley and Bamba make 26 mil combined, and any players we get back will make about that much as well. That's how trades work.

We need to pay 4 guys good money and we already have Lebron and Davis making an absurd amount as well.

The FO will not pay an astronomical tax money bill just because you say or want so.

Core is Lebron, Davis, Vando, Russell, Reaves, Schroder, Hachimura. You have #17 and Christie who can get 15 mins each in the RS as they should.

That's 9 guys. Vet minimum guys will be plenty to fill it up.

If you think the FO pays all four of Russell/ Schroder/Hachimura/Reaves whatever money they want....AND add 20-25 mil per year in a trade for Beasley/Bamba. Just for what? For a guy/s who will warm the bench and depth? Who will probably not even play in the playoffs?

Yeah sorry, that's just delusion at this point.

Bamba/Beasley/Brown/Walker made 33 mil combined this year and barely played in the playoffs. Why not have 4 vets who make 10 mil combined with the same end result?
Steve Nash injures his back while carrying bags

Slava wrote:I pulled a hammy while fapping. I won't make fun of Nash.
zuju
Senior
And1: 126

Post#90 » by zuju » Sun May 14, 2023 2:33 pm

ROballer wrote:
nzahir wrote:

Still lacking a backup C
Because Beasley and Bamba make 26 mil combined, and any players we get back will make about that much as well. That's how trades work.

We need to pay 4 guys good money and we already have Lebron and Davis making an absurd amount as well.

The FO will not pay an astronomical tax money bill just because you say or want so.

Core is Lebron, Davis, Vando, Russell, Reaves, Schroder, Hachimura. You have #17 and Christie who can get 15 mins each in the RS as they should.

If you think the FO pays all four of Russell/ Schroder/Hachimura/Reaves whatever money they want....AND add 20-25 mil per year in a trade for Beasley/Bamba. Just for what? For a guy/s who will warm the bench and depth? Who will probably not even play in the playoffs?

Bamba/Beasley/Brown/Walker made 33 mil combined this year and barely played in the playoffs. Why not have 4 vets who make 10 mil combined with the same end result?

Brown plays well in regular season and bad in the postseason.
Bamba has not shown anything yet.
Beasley as a shooter is a joke until now
Walker was our surprising scoring threat at the beginning of the season (very much like monk). Benched for Beasley after the trade deadline. Reborn against Golden State being spark on offense and a very good defender to stick with Curry and go through picks.

I will say if Walker can be the same guy consistently like he played against Golden State, We may have to look to offer him a new contract. Re-work on Bamba's contract. For Brown, IDK. Stanley Johnson can be had for Vet Min I am sure. Beasley? He may just suffer from the Lakers curse to 3 point shooters.

Reaves, Rui and Schroder are keepers. Dlo maybe depending on the price. 23M is my upper limit. His no D and inconsistency is just too big of a hole in the playoff. His shooting, playmaking ability and ball handling is great to compliment AD and LBJ though.
Vae Victus
Assistant Coach

Post#91 » by Vae Victus » Sun May 14, 2023 4:57 pm

Is Shamsports capulator accurate in regards to bird rights and exceptions?

When i decline Beasley's team option he pops up with bird rights. When i waive Bamba, Lakers dont hold his bird rights.

Personally i do find needing a decent backup or placeholder C like Bamba would be incredibly useful in keeping AD's wear and tear down over the course of a season. I might actually just keep him for 10.3mil and decline Beasley. TMLE for Shroeder seems to be a no brainer, max out Reaves for what he's eligible for, match any offers for Rui and extend him to a reasoanble deal if he doesnt get any offers. Pretty straightforward offseason and then hope to sign some good vet mins ala Shroeder.

Yea with DLo the most i'd do is a 4year 90mil contract. Good luck getting more than that from a cap space team. I feel if FAs are smart, they'll target next offseason, much more available money to be spent by teams who want to contend.
nzahir
RealGM

Post#92 » by nzahir » Sun May 14, 2023 7:07 pm

ROballer wrote:
nzahir wrote:

Still lacking a backup C

Schroeder is only a core guy if he takes the mle/we offer it

Dlo, Reaves, Vando, Bron, AD
Dennis, ?, Rui

So thats a 7 guy rotation you really trust and Vando is iffy in the playoffs

Missing 1-2 guys

Is Christie really going to be a guy we trust come playoff time to play that backup 2 spot?

Who is the backup 3?

Who is the backup C?

This FO needs to be willing to spend for 1 more season

They already cheaped out with AC and that was an awful move

They already wanted to get Russ b/c he had less years than Derozan reportedly and weren't sure how long Lebron would stay (even though AD is still locked up....)

After next season, then Lebron is gone/takes a paycut and get out the luxury bill
scoobs07
Starter
And1: 82

Post#93 » by scoobs07 » Sun May 14, 2023 7:50 pm

nzahir wrote:
ROballer wrote:
nzahir wrote:Why wouldn't we maximize our talent and trade #17 with Beasley and or Bamba and get another 1-2 guys to that core

Still lacking a backup C

Dennis, ?, Rui

Missing 1-2 guys

Is Christie really going to be a guy we trust come playoff time to play that backup 2 spot?

Who is the backup 3?

Who is the backup C?

They already wanted to get Russ b/c he had less years than Derozan reportedly and weren't sure how long Lebron would stay (even though AD is still locked up....)

After next season, then Lebron is gone/takes a paycut and get out the luxury bill
Lakers just need to stay under 179.5M. They could do something like this:

1. Trade #17 for a top-20 protected 1st. Draft best available at #47.

2. Sign Reaves or match offer sheet. I believe most he could make in 2024 is 11.4M.

3. Sign Russell to two-year extension starting at 33M.

4. Sign Rui or match offer sheet. I think he gets a deal starting at 15M.

5. Sign CP3 to vet minimum (if waived/bough out)

6. Sign Walker for 4 years / 30 million with non-bird rights (120% of his current salary).

7. Sign Gabriel for 2 years / 5 million

8. Invite Pippen and Swider back for camp.

9. Sign + undrafted free agents. Let them battle it out with Pippen and Swider for remaining roster spots, and sign three of them to two-way deals.
nzahir
RealGM

Post#94 » by nzahir » Sun May 14, 2023 9:18 pm

scoobs07 wrote:
nzahir wrote:
ROballer wrote:Because Beasley and Bamba make 26 mil combined, and any players we get back will make about that much as well. That's how trades work.

Dennis, ?, Rui

Missing 1-2 guys

Who is the backup 3?

Who is the backup C?

Lakers just need to stay under 179.5M. They could do something like this:

1. Trade #17 for a top-20 protected 1st. Draft best available at #47.

2. Sign Reaves or match offer sheet. I believe most he could make in 2024 is 11.4M.

3. Sign Russell to two-year extension starting at 33M.

4. Sign Rui or match offer sheet. I think he gets a deal starting at 15M.

5. Sign CP3 to vet minimum (if waived/bough out)

6. Sign Walker for 4 years / 30 million with non-bird rights (120% of his current salary).

7. Sign Gabriel for 2 years / 5 million

8. Invite Pippen and Swider back for camp.

9. Sign + undrafted free agents. Let them battle it out with Pippen and Swider for remaining roster spots, and sign three of them to two-way deals.

I think Reaves can get more if another team offers him more. I think his max is low 20s

Dlo is def not worth 33m. Better to do a longer term deal at mid 20s

Rui at 15m is way too much. He doesn't even rate out as apositive impact guy. 8-12m is fair

I doubt Cp3 takes the vet min, but would be great

No need to pay Lonnie that. He is also a nehative impact guy.

Sure to Gabriel for basically the minimum as depth

Rather get an upgrade from Lonnie/TBJ/Beasley

Still need a backup C who will play

Can also use a 2/3 or 3/4 who can shoot it
General Manager

Post#95 » by Showtime:Part2 » Tue May 16, 2023 1:28 am

This board gonna be in shock when they actually see rui and dlos contracts lol. Would not be surprised if the gap is only like 6mm/yr avg
Warspite:

Spens1
RealGM
And1: 3,878

Post#96 » by Spens1 » Thu May 18, 2023 8:33 am

the other option maybe worth considering is CarusGOAT? having a defensive guard to put next to Reaves, D'Lo (If he doesn't get traded in the offseason) and/or Lonnie would be a good idea.
stan francisco
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,558

Post#97 » by stan francisco » Wed May 31, 2023 12:58 am

Why on earth would any human being who roots for the Lakers want to keep Russell after the post season that just past?
NBA titles since the merger: LAL 11, CHI 6, SAS 5, BOS 5, GSW 4.
DanishLakerFan
Veteran
And1: 569

Post#98 » by DanishLakerFan » Wed May 31, 2023 8:26 am

stan francisco wrote:Why on earth would any human being who roots for the Lakers want to keep Russell after the post season that just past?

Well, he's a good basketballplayer who cant be replaced if we let him walk. For the 82-game season that's important.
Lakers24gm
Junior
And1: 118

Post#99 » by Lakers24gm » Wed May 31, 2023 1:41 pm

I know this is a Beasley thread but with the DLo talk my question is what team is paying him this summer? No cap space team makes sense to sign him. So that leaves what the MLE? Lakers can just offer slightly more than that. I just can’t see him getting over 20 million a year.
Vae Victus
Assistant Coach

Post#100 » by Vae Victus » Thu Jun 1, 2023 5:00 am

Hell, i'm more curious at what Beasley can get on the open market.

I think it makes more sense for teams to go after Reaves instead of DLo.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers