ImageImageImageImageImage

Lakers offseason 2023

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

DanishLakerFan
Veteran
And1: 569

Lakers offseason 2023 

Post#1 » by DanishLakerFan » Tue May 16, 2023 11:18 am

The Beasley thread already covers it a bit, but maybe it deserves its own thread.

My general thoughts.

Main priority: Go into 2023 season with Lebron, AD, Reaves and Vando.

Maximize the team around those guys.

This could happen in many ways. Keep current roster intact, fill out around the edges. Use Beasely+Mo+pick in a trade or maybe do s/t with DLo.

Thoughts or ideas?
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,645

Re: Lakers offseason 2023 

Post#2 » by danfantastk32 » Tue May 16, 2023 3:33 pm

Gonna wait till this is all done before I have any comments
ROballer
General Manager
And1: 2,754

Post#3 » by ROballer » Tue May 16, 2023 6:44 pm

Easy for me, already covered it in the Beasley thread.

Resign Reaves, Russell, Schroder and Rui.

Cut Beasley/Bamba. Don't resign Walker and Brown.

Drafting well is probably a given with our track record, so that's another two guys filling up the roster.

Lebron
Davis
Reaves
Vando
Schroder
Rui
Russell
Christie
Shaq Harrison(apparently he's signed for next year, although he might not be guaranteed)

Pippen Jr and Swider as two ways.

Add 3 more vet minimum guys, there should be an ample pool of available players.

As this season proved, seedings don't mean ****. Point is to make it and that's it.
So with that out of the way, we need to use the RS to make sure Lebron and Davis are as rested as possible...and develop the youth.

Christie must play every single game, even if it's only 15 minutes. I don't want to see marginal talent like Troy Brown or old farts(who don't have much more impact that Christie would) getting in the way of that.

#17 as well. We haven't had a higher pick in years, the scouting departament has done wonders with waay less before, the kid we're picking better damn be part of the rotation for most of the year.
Steve Nash injures his back while carrying bags

Slava wrote:I pulled a hammy while fapping. I won't make fun of Nash.
TylersLakers
RealGM
And1: 2,824

Post#4 » by TylersLakers » Tue May 16, 2023 11:16 pm

I love that we're having this run to the WCF right now and I'm absolutely hopeful we can carry this to a Championship. But I've thought ever since the trade deadline we were 1 wing/big guard short. LeBron and AD playing at their max should be enough to hide that but it's very likely this team has reached the end of the road. I hope I'm wrong and we win a Championship.

The question all comes down to the budget for the Buss family. If they want to pay, we can have a GREAT team next year. If they don't.. we'll have a team that looks similar to this.

The Absolute Musts:

- Re-sign Reaves (whether he's matched or re-signs with us, he'll count for 12M next year. Book him in)
- Re-sign Russell (Not sure which teams are out there wanting D-Lo that have cap space. Orlando? But I'd try to come to an agreement with him for 20M a season over 3-4 years)
- Re-sign Hachimura (He will easily be someone's MLE signing next year, which means we're going to have pay him $12M at least. Book him in)

LeBron: $47M
AD: $41M
Russell: $20M
Reaves: $12M
Hachimura: $12M
Vando: $4.7M
Christie: $1.7M

Total: $138.4 ($5M over salary cap)

The next decision comes down to Beasley and Bamba. They both have team options:

Beasley: $16M
Bamba: $10.3M

I'd negotiate with Beasley and get him on a cheaper deal. His value has plummeted because of the playoffs but in October-April, he's going to be a player that plays 20-25 MPG and make 2-4 3 pointers a night. It's just hard to play him in the wrong playoff match-up. Could we get him at a 2-3 year deal starting at the tax-payer MLE range at around $8M? I think we could.

Beasley: 8M
Total: $146.4M ($12M over salary cap - S16M away from luxury tax)

Bamba - I'd accept him with the sole purpose of trading him. Which leads me to my next #1 focus:

BRING ALEX CARUSO HOME:

Bamba, Christie, #17, #47, whatever is needed for Alex Caruso, Andre Drummond.

Caruso: $9.5M
Drummond: $3.4M
- Christie (1.7)
Total: $158.6M

Lonnie Walker:

We can give him basically the same contract that he has now with a little bit of a pay increase. I'd do it if he's willing to return and doesn't have offers that high. It ain't my money though. Would the Buss family force management to essentially make him our tax-MLE signing or will they allow the front office to use both?

- Re-sign Wenyen Gabriel to his raise ($3M)
- Re-sign Troy Brown to his raise ($3M)

Roster:

Russell/Caruso/
Reaves/Beasley/
Rui/Brown Jr/
LeBron/Vando/
Davis/Drummond/Gabriel

With the ability to add Lonnie Walker to that + a tax-MLE signing. Plus a vet minimum or two.

We could also combine Christie with Bamba and Beasley, and trade for someone like DeMar DeRozan. Is that a path the Lakers management would want to go down considering LeBron's age?

Russell/Schroder (tax MLE)/
Reaves/Walker/
DeRozan/Vando/
LeBron/Rui/
AD/Gabriel/

Either way - if I'm the Lakers management, the second this season is over with - I'm canvasing the league and figuring out what I can get for Bamba, Beasley, 1st, Christie and adjusting off that.
Beethoven
Head Coach
And1: 3,856

Post#5 » by Beethoven » Wed May 17, 2023 7:47 pm

I like this team as is mostly. Run it back as the main issue is home court and we can get that next season if starting on right footing.

We need to add a Dwight Howard type for battle with jokic and I think that covers it.
Kobe Bryant forever
GO LAKERS
8-)
WinterSoldier
Junior
And1: 193

Post#6 » by WinterSoldier » Thu May 18, 2023 1:02 am

I was really impressed with Reeves, as a Jazz fan this is the first time I've seen him play. I think there is going to be some competition in signing him.
stan francisco
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,558

Post#7 » by stan francisco » Thu May 18, 2023 4:16 am

LeBron
AD
Reaves
Hachimura
Vando
Walker
Christie
Bamba
17 (Rob can draft so I’m not trading)
47 (Rob can draft so I’m not trading)

Schroeder. Can we sign his defense and skip the offense. I’d resign him on the cheap for his man defense, but he rocks the league’s most inefficient 1 on 5 dribble offense?

I can’t stand when we pay full price for a one way player.

Since D Lo and Beasley both play no D, turn them into S&T offers. Trade them and Troy and Gabriel. Try to bring back some size in the paint. Gotta get up for Victor from SAS.
NBA titles since the merger: LAL 11, CHI 6, SAS 5, BOS 5, GSW 4.
loveshaq786
Pro Prospect
And1: 86

Post#8 » by loveshaq786 » Thu May 18, 2023 9:50 pm

trade AD for sharpe, Simmons, nurkic #3

flip, #3, nurkic and Bamba... Claxton and bridges

that's a heck of a return!
Vae Victus
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,838

Post#9 » by Vae Victus » Fri May 19, 2023 3:36 am

ROballer wrote:Easy for me, already covered it in the Beasley thread.

Drafting well is probably a given with our track record, so that's another two guys filling up the roster.

Lebron
Davis
Reaves
Vando
Schroder
Rui
Russell
Christie
Shaq Harrison(apparently he's signed for next year, although he might not be guaranteed)

Add 3 more vet minimum guys, there should be an ample pool of available players.

As this season proved, seedings don't mean ****. Point is to make it and that's it.
So with that out of the way, we need to use the RS to make sure Lebron and Davis are as rested as possible...and develop the youth.

Christie must play every single game, even if it's only 15 minutes. I don't want to see marginal talent like Troy Brown or old farts(who don't have much more impact that Christie would) getting in the way of that.

#17 as well. We haven't had a higher pick in years, the scouting departament has done wonders with waay less before, the kid we're picking better damn be part of the rotation for most of the year.

Pretty much all of this, except i think i'm just gonna keep Bamba to start C so that AD wont get worn down. AD was at his best when he wasnt playing C fulltime, he just isnt built like that to log heavy mins banging all the time. Bamba will at least provide elite floor spacing for a 5, and it's not like the Lakers have any cap space to get someone better after retaining Shroeder for the full TMLE.

If i make a trade, i think it'll be a S&T DLo + #17 for the best return guard piece possible. DLo is just unplayable against quality playoff competition and Lebron is only getting older and needs more help.
Marrrcuss
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,854

Post#10 » by Marrrcuss » Fri May 19, 2023 2:34 pm

Vae Victus wrote:
ROballer wrote:Easy for me, already covered it in the Beasley thread.

Lebron
Davis
Reaves
Vando
Schroder
Rui
Russell
Christie

Pretty much all of this, except i think i'm just gonna keep Bamba to start C so that AD wont get worn down. AD was at his best when he wasnt playing C fulltime, he just isnt built like that to log heavy mins banging all the time. Bamba will at least provide elite floor spacing for a 5, and it's not like the Lakers have any cap space to get someone better after retaining Shroeder for the full TMLE.

If i make a trade, i think it'll be a S&T DLo + #17 for the best return guard piece possible. DLo is just unplayable against quality playoff competition and Lebron is only getting older and needs more help.

I think we are still playing him this much hoping he shows value but its killing us
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,235

Post#11 » by Kilroy » Fri May 19, 2023 8:02 pm

Let DBlow walk, pray Reaves doesn't get more money somewhere else, lock up Rui and Vanderbilt... Then fill holes left by the ones we can't retain... Bigs, wings etc...
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
stan francisco
Lead Assistant

Post#12 » by stan francisco » Fri May 19, 2023 10:14 pm

Kilroy wrote:Let DBlow walk, pray Reaves doesn't get more money somewhere else, lock up Rui and Vanderbilt... Then fill holes left by the ones we can't retain... Bigs, wings etc...

I agree but I think we can S&T D Lo. Packaged with Beasley and Brown Jr he might net us something.
loveshaq786
Pro Prospect
And1: 86

Post#13 » by loveshaq786 » Sat May 20, 2023 12:30 am

loveshaq786 wrote:trade AD for sharpe, Simmons, nurkic #3

can trade dlo , #17 and vando... for DeRozan and caruso
Landsberger
General Manager
And1: 1,973

Post#14 » by Landsberger » Sat May 20, 2023 3:06 am

Kilroy wrote:Let DBlow walk, pray Reaves doesn't get more money somewhere else, lock up Rui and Vanderbilt... Then fill holes left by the ones we can't retain... Bigs, wings etc...

Yup... but my guess is the ownership will play that the exact opposite.
Beethoven
Head Coach
And1: 3,856

Post#15 » by Beethoven » Sat May 20, 2023 3:15 am

loveshaq786 wrote:
loveshaq786 wrote:trade AD for sharpe, Simmons, nurkic #3

can trade dlo , #17 and vando... for DeRozan and caruso

:wavefinger:
X - sorry .. lakers already have their token white player. You can't go over the quota.
Kobe Bryant forever
GO LAKERS
8-)
stan francisco
Lead Assistant

Post#16 » by stan francisco » Sat May 20, 2023 12:22 pm

Assuming that we keep the current core together, we still have specific needs.

Let’s also not forget that we have talent on contract rising, in Cole Swider (3&D wing), Shaq Harrison, Max Christie, Mo Bamba. They’ll all be a notch better next season. They could be added to accommodate a trade.

Here are the bigger pieces that we can and absolutely should get something for, assuming it’s a good enough offer to trade pick(s).
Malik Beasley $31M
D Lo S&T
Schroeder S&T

We need a floor general PG, a solid 3&D wing and another serviceable big man.

Targets (via trade or FA)
Fred Van Vleet, Otto Porter, Tyus Jones, Nerlens Noël, Klay Thompson, Caleb Martin, Strus, Vincent, Trent Jr, Stanley Johnson, Brooks Lopez, Mason Plumlee, Cody Zeller.

The Clippers might let go of pieces via trade. Dallas is another WC team I’d talk to. So is GSW.
Spens1
RealGM
And1: 3,878

Post#17 » by Spens1 » Sat May 20, 2023 2:00 pm

resign Rui, Reaves, Lonnie as priority and try to bring Bamba back (or at least S&T it to like Indiana if we can swing him and the 17th for Turner maybe).

Package Beasley for Caruso perhaps or even using him for Myles Turner perhaps or if worse comes to worse, Bogdanovic maybe?

I'd love to see who we end up with at 17 (if a guy like Smith Jr, Wallace etc starts falling they'd be a good piece to add to the core long term.

One guy we need to move on from is D'Lo i'd say, his play this series aside, I think Reaves and Lonnie are doing a better job than him and are more efficient anyway.
JVL
Starter
And1: 2,490

Post#18 » by JVL » Sun May 21, 2023 3:06 am

Get rid of Dlo no matter what.
Fire Ham.
Resign Reaves and Rui.
Trade Lebron. He’s done.
stan francisco
Lead Assistant

Post#19 » by stan francisco » Sun May 21, 2023 3:09 am

Let’s start with getting a coach who can actively coach and make adjustments during a game, like Mike Malone does. I’m livid. Worst conference finals game three in Laker coaching history.

Nick Nurse.
Jaykoolzboy
Assistant Coach
And1: 96

Post#20 » by Jaykoolzboy » Sun May 21, 2023 5:12 am

Sign Reaves and Rui to extensions.

S&T D Lo for anything

Sign a Veteran PG (sort like Heat's Kyle Lowry's role, where they can either start or provide meaningful minutes)

The core is good, need some tweaks.

LBJ is another year older, LAL need to start thinking about life after LBJ.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers