ImageImageImageImageImage

Lakers offseason 2023

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

Doug_12
Senior
And1: 444

Re: Lakers offseason 2023 

Post#541 » by Doug_12 » Wed Jul 12, 2023 9:02 am

heezyo2o wrote:For someone getting maybe 10 mins tops, I would want something that plays good sound defense and gets rebounds. If Woods is that bad on defense, I'd rather get someone else. Though lack of scoring off the bench looks to be an issue so Woods might be helpful during a long season when someone goes down.

I think one of the issues is that we need two different type of players when AD is healthy and when he is not.

When he is healthy, then Biyombo might be the better solution, especially if we would have offensive firepower next to him.

When he is not, then we need someone like Wood (or Bryant last year) who can take some offensive load in an efficient way.

I'm leaning towards to say that we actually would need both of them in the expense of Hayes. Then we would have a bigger lineup where Wood starts next to AD and Russell could head to the bench.

Then it would allow Biyombo to play w/ Russell and Rui on the bench, whose production could mask his offensive issues. The problem is that in that case we would not have enough size...

Anyways: If we have to choose between Biyombo amd Wood, I'd go with Wood always. He is a far better defensive player than Biyombo is on offense.
stan francisco
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,558

Post#542 » by stan francisco » Wed Jul 12, 2023 10:05 am

tugs wrote:We haven't had a Ronny Turiaf player for some time now

I want that type of hustle back, too. Tristan Thompson filled that role for almost one full game last season.
NBA titles since the merger: LAL 11, CHI 6, SAS 5, BOS 5, GSW 4.
zuju
Senior
And1: 126

Post#543 » by zuju » Wed Jul 12, 2023 12:46 pm

Doug_12 wrote:
heezyo2o wrote:For someone getting maybe 10 mins tops, I would want something that plays good sound defense and gets rebounds. If Woods is that bad on defense, I'd rather get someone else. Though lack of scoring off the bench looks to be an issue so Woods might be helpful during a long season when someone goes down.

I think one of the issues is that we need two different type of players when AD is healthy and when he is not.

When he is healthy, then Biyombo might be the better solution, especially if we would have offensive firepower next to him.

When he is not, then we need someone like Wood (or Bryant last year) who can take some offensive load in an efficient way.

I'm leaning towards to say that we actually would need both of them in the expense of Hayes. Then we would have a bigger lineup where Wood starts next to AD and Russell could head to the bench.

Then it would allow Biyombo to play w/ Russell and Rui on the bench, whose production could mask his offensive issues. The problem is that in that case we would not have enough size...

Anyways: If we have to choose between Biyombo amd Wood, I'd go with Wood always. He is a far better defensive player than Biyombo is on offense.

Have quite the same thought as you.

Hayes is supposedly filling that defensive big role as DH did according to Pelinka

It's a choice of having a Mcgee in 2020 or a Thomas Bryant in 2022

I am leaning a Bol Bol signing over Woods for the Thomas Bryant role or Mcgee/TT for the Mcgee role (Veteren presence as well)
Doug_12
Senior

Post#544 » by Doug_12 » Wed Jul 12, 2023 1:55 pm

zuju wrote:
Doug_12 wrote:

Hayes is supposedly filling that defensive big role as DH did according to Pelinka

I am leaning a Bol Bol signing over Woods for the Thomas Bryant role or Mcgee/TT for the Mcgee role (Veteren presence as well)

I have to think that Pelinka is delusional :lol:

Hayes is nowhere near the defender Dwight was, in fact he more resembles to McGee for me. Or to be more proper: to Damian Jones.

Biyombo is much more like Dwight (w/ worse finishing) and Wood is like Bryant* (w/ better defense). So I think it's rather a Dwight minus vs Bryant plus conversation instead of a McGee vs Bryant.

*not by style, but by impact.
Doug_12
Senior

Post#545 » by Doug_12 » Wed Jul 12, 2023 2:37 pm

I'm a bit twisted on Bol to be honest: Great highlights can be put together about him, but as someone else posted, similar set of "lowlights" can be as easily created. My issue w/ him is his lack of awareness and bone headedness. He has to play in a system if he wants to play w/ us. It seems to me, he almost never understands his role and sees himself rather someone to whom a team needs to accomodate (rather as someone who serves a role within that team)
zuju
Senior

Post#546 » by zuju » Wed Jul 12, 2023 3:43 pm

What I like Bol Bol was his length, his quick feet and his skill sets. If he is put in the right system and be taught to play the right way, he can be improve a lot and be a special force. Wood is a better known player of course. You know what he can give you and what he can't.

Hayes is Mcgee or DH doesn't matter. DH was by far the best defensive big in the league for a long stretch of time. No one is nearly as good defensively as he did. Biyombo has too big of a hole in his game to play. If you want a defensive big, I also want someone who can provide the team veteran presence / lock room presence. Couldn't find someone with veteran presence who can play the Thomas Bryant role though.

Watched the Summer league highlight, Castleton was special !!! We have to keep him. 2 way contract first. IF we couldn't find another useful player through buy out market or trade or Cam Reddish plays like trash, sign him to the main roster.
tleikheen
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,025

Post#547 » by tleikheen » Wed Jul 12, 2023 6:06 pm

Bol played in a my turn your turn ISO offense where Banchero and Wagner dominated the ball ,They didnt pass well or share the ball well and finished in the bottom 3 with Detroit and Houston in team assists.If you watched alot of Orlando games it wasnt a very good offense to watch thats why highlight films showed individual plays as that's what they did the most of.
zuju
Senior

Post#548 » by zuju » Wed Jul 12, 2023 6:27 pm

tleikheen wrote:Bol played in a my turn your turn ISO offense where Banchero and Wagner dominated the ball ,They didnt pass well or share the ball well and finished in the bottom 3 with Detroit and Houston in team assists.If you watched alot of Orlando games it wasnt a very good offense to watch thats why highlight films showed individual plays as that's what they did the most of.

In your observation, do you think bol is a player willing to share the ball in the right system? And will he buy in to team systems?
tleikheen
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,025

Post#549 » by tleikheen » Wed Jul 12, 2023 8:45 pm

do you think bol is a player willing to share the ball in the right system?

Bol always tryed to make the right play and thats the best play ,whether he got the ball back or not
hoosierdaddy34
Head Coach
And1: 5,726

Post#550 » by hoosierdaddy34 » Thu Jul 13, 2023 12:15 am

Doug_12 wrote:
zuju wrote:
Doug_12 wrote:I think one of the issues is that we need two different type of players when AD is healthy and when he is not.

Hayes is nowhere near the defender Dwight was, in fact he more resembles to McGee for me. Or to be more proper: to Damian Jones.

Biyombo is much more like Dwight (w/ worse finishing) and Wood is like Bryant* (w/ better defense). So I think it's rather a Dwight minus vs Bryant plus conversation instead of a McGee vs Bryant.

Biyombo is only 6’8 and weighs less than LeBron or Rui. Why wouldn’t anyone just put LeBron or Rui on a center and then that center would actually have to play defense rather than being able to just ignore Biyombo.

I don’t get the infatuation with Biyombo, he hurts more than he helps.

Also Christian Wood isn’t a better defender than anyone.
Ball so hard
Sixth Man
And1: 679

Post#551 » by Ball so hard » Fri Jul 14, 2023 10:31 am

mighty_duck wrote:
zuju wrote:Max Christie vs Loonie Walker (Better defensively but no competition to Loonie in terms of scoring)
Anthony Davis vs Anthony Davis (Same barring injuries)
Rui Hachimura vs Rui Hachimura (Same or a little improvement ?)
Jaxson Hayes vs Mo Bamba (A least Hayes is healthy to play and provide 10-15 quality minutes?)
Jalen Hood-Schifino vs Shaquille Harrison (3rd string pg, wouldn't see much minutes anyway unless JHS shows promise from the get go)
LeBron James vs LeBron James (Declined further but healthier)
Maxwell Lewis vs Max Christie (Non factor at the bench)
Taurean Prince vs Wenyen Gabriel (Less toughness/ rebound/ protection in the paint, much better 3 point shooting)
Austin Reaves vs Austin Reaves (Same or a little improvement ?)
Cam Reddish vs Troy Brown Jr. (Don't know what to expect from Cam :lol:, less of a 3 point shooter than Brown )
D'Angelo Russell vs D'Angelo Russell (Expect the same Dlo)
Jarred Vanderbilt vs Jarred Vanderbilt (Same or a little improvement ?)
Gabe Vincent vs Dennis Schröder (Very Debatable)

Who vs Tristan Thompson
Who vs Malik Beasley

Do you think the lakers is better on paper this season or worse ?

Not enthused about the offseason.
Pros:
I'm happy with D'lo and Reaves' contracts.

Mid:
Taurean Prince had almost identical numbers to TBJ, so that's wash.
Bamba Vs Hayes is also a wash. I liked the potential of Bamba's 3 + rim protector, but it didn't materialize here.

Cons:
When you look up "Vet Minimum" in the dictionary, Vincent's picture is there. Why give him so much money? Negative asset from day 1.
On the court, he'll make Westbrick look like a reliable shooter off Lebron's passes. Decent defender, but (aside from the magical postseason run he just had), a net negative on the floor. Downgrade from Schroder, who could actually play point and get to the line.

Rui - Also got much more money than he's worth (again, disregarding the magical postseason run he just had). Career 7-8 man.

Lost Walker and Beasley, who were streaky, but could give you exceptional games.
Replaced with Cam Reddish (a 23 year old wing on his 4th team, shooting .322 from 3).

We're left with 3 rotation players who can reliably hit the three (D'lo, Reaves, Prince).

Good post! It’s rare to find a post in which I agree with every word of it. We’re in the minority by a substantial margin.
Doug_12
Senior

Post#552 » by Doug_12 » Fri Jul 14, 2023 4:03 pm

hoosierdaddy34 wrote:
Doug_12 wrote:
zuju wrote:

Biyombo is only 6’8 and weighs less than LeBron or Rui. Why wouldn’t anyone just put LeBron or Rui on a center and then that center would actually have to play defense rather than being able to just ignore Biyombo.

I also see risks w/ Biyombo, but for me he seems to be a much better center than Lebron or Rui. They neither have the physical tools nor the luxury of concentrating primarily on rim protection for shorter stints... Even if they are overall much better in offense than Biyombo, they also much worse in defense especially at C.

Regarding Wood being no better than anyone: that sounds fancy, but it's a hyperbole. You can also argue that Russell is not better than anyone on defense and then you meet Russell Westbrook. Or you use Kyrie as an example and then you meet Isaiah Thomas. Or Drummond and then Thomas Bryant.

There are levels of being bad at something. Wood is not a good defender but he is neither league bottom. He had stretches when he looked close to average - and maybe a better system w/ better supporting cast than what coach Kidd and the Mavs could put together would help him getting to that level more frequently.
hoosierdaddy34
Head Coach

Post#553 » by hoosierdaddy34 » Fri Jul 14, 2023 6:02 pm

Doug_12 wrote:
hoosierdaddy34 wrote:
Doug_12 wrote:I have to think that Pelinka is delusional :lol:

I also see risks w/ Biyombo, but for me he seems to be a much better center than Lebron or Rui. They neither have the physical tools nor the luxury of concentrating primarily on rim protection for shorter stints... Even if they are overall much better in offense than Biyombo, they also much worse in defense especially at C.

Regarding Wood being no better than anyone: that sounds fancy, but it's a hyperbole. You can also argue that Russell is not better than anyone on defense and then you meet Russell Westbrook. Or you use Kyrie as an example and then you meet Isaiah Thomas. Or Drummond and then Thomas Bryant.

There are levels of being bad at something. Wood is not a good defender but he is neither league bottom. He had stretches when he looked close to average - and maybe a better system w/ better supporting cast than what coach Kidd and the Mavs could put together would help him getting to that level more frequently.

Is he? Especially considering you don’t have to guard Biyombo outside of 2 feet from the basket. Which will really gunk up the offense.

And yiu pretty much summed where all these big men are…different levels of bad. That’s why they are still available and have very little market. Yet for some reason Lakers fans just want any old crappy big man even though they cause more problems than they solve.
mighty_duck
Junior
And1: 153

Post#554 » by mighty_duck » Fri Jul 14, 2023 6:31 pm

hoosierdaddy34 wrote:Is he? Especially considering you don’t have to guard Biyombo outside of 2 feet from the basket. Which will really gunk up the offense.

And yiu pretty much summed where all these big men are…different levels of bad. That’s why they are still available and have very little market. Yet for some reason Lakers fans just want any old crappy big man even though they cause more problems than they solve.

Because we need some answer for the 20-30 games where AD is injured, as well as reducing *some* of the banging AD would need to do when he isn't injured.

Is Hayes (by himself) the answer? I doubt it.

Lebron is pushing 40, and has too much of the offense on his shoulders already.

Rui is a combo forward, and a poor rebounder/shot blocker at that. He does match up well with some centers when he has AD as a help defender, but he can't play center well when AD is out.

I'd like another big body for the marathon of the regular season.
hoosierdaddy34
Head Coach

Post#555 » by hoosierdaddy34 » Fri Jul 14, 2023 7:26 pm

mighty_duck wrote:
hoosierdaddy34 wrote:Is he? Especially considering you don’t have to guard Biyombo outside of 2 feet from the basket. Which will really gunk up the offense.

Because we need some answer for the 20-30 games where AD is injured, as well as reducing *some* of the banging AD would need to do when he isn't injured.

Is Hayes (by himself) the answer? I doubt it.

Lebron is pushing 40, and has too much of the offense on his shoulders already.

Rui is a combo forward, and a poor rebounder/shot blocker at that. He does match up well with some centers when he has AD as a help defender, but he can't play center well when AD is out.

I'd like another big body for the marathon of the regular season.

But they all pretty much suck with major flaws. You try to keep very flawed guys off the floor as much as you can because they are easily exploited.

Rui may not be the best rebounder but at least he’s a decent defender that the other teams big has to guard on the other end. At least he can play both ends of the floor as opposed to these dudes that are major negatives on one side or the other. And if AD is out you are securing more time for Vanderbilt who is a very good rebounder. A LeBron, Rui, Vanderbilt front line is still going to be decent defensively, will rebound and has to be guarded in the other end. Prince another decent sized dude and Hayes would be your back ups…most teams do a hell of a lot worse when a major player is missing from the lineup.

But Hayes may not be the answer. But I guarantee Biyombo, Wood or whoever else on the scrap pile right now isn’t the answer either. Nobody you’d ever want to have out there 15 plus minutes a night. They are still available for a reason, 30 nba teams don’t trust they can play. So why would you?
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,235

Post#556 » by Kilroy » Fri Jul 14, 2023 7:26 pm

This is literally the worst time of the NBA year...
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
hoosierdaddy34
Head Coach

Post#557 » by hoosierdaddy34 » Fri Jul 14, 2023 7:30 pm

Kilroy wrote:This is literally the worst time of the NBA year...

I might be a glutton for punishment, but I kind of enjoy the lineup and roster construction debates.
MadNESS
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,692

Post#558 » by MadNESS » Fri Jul 14, 2023 7:44 pm

What's left/who we should be targeting:

1.) Christian Wood

2.) Bol Bol
3.) Wait and sign someone later (roll with 13 into camp)

I don't want to sign someone just for the sake of getting to 14 players. More trades will happen, more players will get waived.
LAKESHOW
MAMBAEMD
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,622

Post#559 » by MAMBAEMD » Fri Jul 14, 2023 11:20 pm

Kilroy wrote:This is literally the worst time of the NBA year...

Dog days
Formerly lakerRD
heezyo2o
Starter
And1: 1,271

Post#560 » by heezyo2o » Sat Jul 15, 2023 12:44 am

While with the Lakers, if Westbrook was on the same small contract, 2years/7million that he is now. Would it still have been horrible the last couple seasons.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers