ImageImageImageImageImage

WCF - DEN @ LAL game 4, Monday; do or die

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

SweetTouch
RealGM
And1: 3,019

Re: WCF - DEN @ LAL game 4, Monday; do or die 

Post#61 » by SweetTouch » Tue May 23, 2023 3:39 am

Kilroy wrote:Every game was winnable... Not sure how to be satisfied with this... Still think Ham out-coached himself this series.. He got locked into his shortened rotation and just refused to try anything.
Our strength during the season was our depth, Ham basically eliminated that strength... How does Vanderbilt not even play? I get he wasn't a huge offensive threat, but still... What about Bamba? Why not throw Beasley in for a few minutes?

Am I the only one who thinks Frank V might have had more success with this roster?

Because he prefers Dennis to play
Dennis can be the only player who can’t shoot out there

The nuggets defense was help off Dennis all series especially the second half

He kept Dennis in because he was afraid d lo wouldn’t make any shots

Moral of the story get another guard that can not be helped off

Irving
Stop being so disrespectful.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,235

Post#62 » by Kilroy » Tue May 23, 2023 3:39 am

chefy wrote:we need another shot creator big time

I guess that would help... But I think this core is played out. Getting Kyrie or someone like that is the last option after trying to move Davis or LeBron or both...

AD pretty much had a phenomenal playoffs outside of Denver, though... Which is kind of understandable... But IDK.. Just seemed flat to me... And I still don't think we are at our best when LeBron is going for 40...
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,235

Post#63 » by Kilroy » Tue May 23, 2023 3:41 am

SweetTouch wrote:
Kilroy wrote:Every game was winnable... Not sure how to be satisfied with this... Still think Ham out-coached himself this series.. He got locked into his shortened rotation and just refused to try anything.
Our strength during the season was our depth, Ham basically eliminated that strength... How does Vanderbilt not even play? I get he wasn't a huge offensive threat, but still... What about Bamba? Why not throw Beasley in for a few minutes?

Am I the only one who thinks Frank V might have had more success with this roster?

Because he prefers Dennis to play
Dennis can be the only player who can’t shoot out there

The nuggets defense was help off Dennis all series especially the second half

He kept Dennis in because he was afraid d lo wouldn’t make any shots

Moral of the story get another guard that can not be helped off

Irving

And another coach who's not afraid to try something new... Brown Jr? I mean... Why not.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
SweetTouch
RealGM

Post#64 » by SweetTouch » Tue May 23, 2023 3:41 am

I just watched replay of Rui kick ball

He hit the ball first with his hand
chefy
Head Coach
And1: 650

Post#65 » by chefy » Tue May 23, 2023 4:03 am

here's some realtalk for all

Jeannie is not trading Bron or AD period.

The right thing to do is to rebuild but lets face it, this also means less revenue for Jeanie so it will never happen.

Bron and AD are not good enough to be "go to players" during crucial times and it was exposed in this series.

hate to say it but we need Kyrie.
TylersLakers
RealGM
And1: 2,824

Post#66 » by TylersLakers » Tue May 23, 2023 4:06 am

Shout out to Denver man. Those guys made every big-time shot when we needed a few of them to miss. It was capped off by two more Jokic shots tonight when the shot clock was going down and he had to throw up prayers. He made them. Murray was an absolute killer in Denver and the first half of Game 3. We would've had to play nearly flawless basketball to beat them. And for a lot of the series - we did. There was no blowouts. No laying down and quitting. They just beat us in the biggest moments. Respect to them.

Thank you to Rob Pelinka and ownership. They made a huge mistake 2 seasons ago and finally fixed it this year. They took a chance on a team that showed a lot of fight during different points of the year. They gave this team a chance and that's all I wanted. Thanks to Darvin Ham who continued to a steady presence on the sideline. He's not a perfect coach - mostly because he's a rookie. He made mistakes like most young coaches do. But he was speaking gospel early in the year in post game press conferences while I was seething and I thought he was completely tone-deaf. He kept this group together. That's a really difficult thing to do.

Thanks to LeBron James who carried this team in December and January to get enough W's to give this team a chance going into the trade deadline. Thanks for giving us a 20th season like no other. Thanks for the effort tonight to play the entire game. It was the early season accumulation that wore him down ultimately. Let's hope an off-season can bring back some of the magic. But if this is largely what he is for the next year or so, that's good enough to have a great season next year and another deep playoff run.

Thanks to Anthony Davis. He gets a lot of flack and sometimes deservedly so. But when he came back from his injury, he carried this team until LeBron got healthy. Had he played 5 more games, he would've been an All Star and All NBA candidate. Had he played 10 more games and Westbrook wasn't on the team to start the year - he would've been an MVP candidate. He was fantastic.

Austin Reaves - what else can be said? In December and January he (along with LeBron) was the only reason to watch this team. It's an absolute joy to watch him play basketball. He's going to make a lot of money and have a lot more moments with this organization.

These three guys deserve another chance next season. What the team looks like outside of these three is open for discussion and the Lakers front office needs to be turning over every stone to maximize it. We need as many guys as possible. LeBron should be on a 30 minute restriction every game next year and he shouldn't play any back-to-backs until after the All Star Break. We need a dominant Anthony Davis season. We need Austin Reaves and Rui to continue to develop. Rui was so big for this team in the playoffs and with a bigger role next year, he'll be even better. Figure out how to get as many other players in addition to those three (or 4 with Rui) who can carry the burden during the season and play in playoff games. The West will be open.

This was a successful season. If you would have told me in January that this team would win a Play-In game, beat Memphis and Golden State and be in the Western Conference Finals, I would have told you that you were completely insane. This season was fantastic. Lakers fans deserved a chance to experience this team in big playoff games. The players deserved that too. We won a Championship and that made the AD/LeBron era successful by itself. Adding in a couple deep playoff runs is all that I wanted.

One other thing - shout out to a few others:

1) Dennis Schroder: He played his ass off this year. Signed for a minimum deal. Experienced a hand injury early but once he came back, he was steady all year long. Anyone remember the game at home against Miami with no LeBron and no AD where he basically won the game by himself? We needed wins and performances like that early on in the season.

2) D'Lo, Malik Beasley, Jarred Vanderbilt: They're not playoff players but they're innings eaters during the regular season. We needed their contributions. Jarred Vanderbit was HUGE in so many moments until the playoffs started. D-Lo was amazing until he lost his confidence in the Western Conference Finals. I hope all 3 are back and all 3 have room for improvement.

3) Thomas Bryant, Troy Brown, Lonnie Walker, Gabriel: All were so important in different moments before the trade deadline to keep this team afloat. Anyone remember the game in Sacramento on a Saturday night where we beat the Kings? Thomas Bryant was massive.

PLEASE DON'T DO ANYTHING STUPID. Let's give this team one more year. Let's give AD and LeBron one more chance. Build the team properly. Spend the money needed to bring in more playoff ready guys. Let's go all in and have one more run.
SweetTouch
RealGM

Post#67 » by SweetTouch » Tue May 23, 2023 4:11 am

I have a question

When LBJ has surgery and he comes back healthy

Do we wait till he’s fully healthy or play him like he did all postseason injured
SweetTouch
RealGM

Post#68 » by SweetTouch » Tue May 23, 2023 4:12 am

Wow LBJ the king he is thinking about retirement after being asked to play with a bad foot 48 minutes

Damn

I’m gonna miss him
JVL
Starter
And1: 2,490

Post#69 » by JVL » Tue May 23, 2023 10:50 am

He's not retiring, next year. 0% chance.

At worst he sits out the entire season due to surgery/rehab to eventually opt out and sign with whatever team drafts Bronny.
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,645

Post#70 » by danfantastk32 » Tue May 23, 2023 3:36 pm

Getting swept is certainly not how I wanted it to end. But tip of the hat to Denver. Great team. I think Denver and Miami will be a great series. Good luck stopping Jokic. I think it's their year, and very much deserved.

Well, so yeah.....this was a pretty fun run we put up from mid Feb until about a week ago. But I do think there are certain realities: Namely that this team is actually quite mediocre when you step back. Proven by the fact that we finally ran into a legit team, and we had nothing. 4-game sweep. They were totally other level than us. And I certainly wouldn't call this Denver team one of the all-time greats. So while it was fun, and I think we have a couple young guys to be really happy about, our FO has it's work cut out for them.

A) AD: Made a nice playoff run. Math tells us we won't get that again for about 3 years. What will he be when that comes back around?

B) Lebron: I cannot fathom him retiring. Not with all that $$$.... I mean without playing with Bronny. But your finally seeing the end for this guy. He is still a great player, but he's done "running the show". Would he take less? We need to have this discussion, if we're gonna make plans to have him around. He can't gobble up all the salary. Sorry.

C) DLO - Reeves - Couple others: While I certainly don't look forward to listening to Laker fans fume/sulk about trading Reeves year after year, and re-create him into a basketball god (ala Caruso) and I do like Reeves alot.....this Laker team has something that it hasn't had in several years: valuable commodities.

The Lakers have 3 choices. one sorta sucks, and isn't interesting: Keeping team as is, and bringing it back. - Well, we aren't good enough. It's that simple. We might get a couple decent bench bigs...pray to the B-Ball gods that AD brings it next year, and make a nice little run. I don't think thats a good way to go about it at all. So let's look at the other two options.

1) Move AD and Lebron. Keep the youth, and move forward into a new future. The Iron is hot with AD right now. They can make the excuse that Lebron is done, and a rebuild is needed. Prob the best decision....although, be prepared to stink. This would be my decision.

2) Figure out a S&T with DLO. If done masterfully, you might end up landing yourself a Kyrie. Maybe DLo, another guy, and a 2nd-rounder would get it done. Kyrie isn't exactly a smoking commodity either. Shop a couple of our other young guys, and see if you cant get yourself a decent veteran. Pref a defensive guy. And lastly....yes, can you move Reeves for an upgrade, albeit older veteran with to try and go all in.

Could we move our youth, and get something like Kyrie, Randle back....and maybe a couple older defensive guys (KCP type) and keep Shroeder.....would that be enough? Kyrie and Randle are just names. Fill in the blank. But sort of that level / age. We might get a deal with Kyrie. Would Reeves for Kyrie work?? Id make that move if I were Dallas. Sucks to lose Reeves. Don't get me wrong. But if you were then able to S&T DLo....you might be able to get something decent.

Point is....we got two more years of AD and Lebron. At crazy high salary. I'd love to move them, and move on. But I doubt we can, or that Jeanie will. The totally WRONG thing to do is stand pat, and think this team is a couple tweaks away. We're not. And I think your finally gonna see the rapid decline of Lebron. Prob not in quality, but in quantity. I expect minutes to decrease alot the next couple years. And with that will go rhythm and production.

The FO have an intersting time this year. We have some young guys with some talent & Value. At the same time....AD prob played himself into some value. I bet a team like Dallas would be VERY interested in a guy like AD. So would Portland. I could see Phoenix being interested.

I'd keep Reeves personally, and the youth, and move AD. Let Lebron know we are rebuilding, and facilitate any trade he wanted (except the Clippers...F them). If Lebron insists on sticking around, fine. At 29-8-9 (whatever the exact totals were this season) even with a drop, he's good. Would be good for the young guys. I'd also definitely trade DLo and see what we can get. If we could get a first rounder - a couple second rounders, and a couple semi-decent prospects for AD and DLo....I'd call it a day, and begin the next chapter.

Please don't just resign DLo and Reeves, and bring it back. It'll be ugly. And expensive! That's my one hope: That all these guys played themselves into decent contracts....and have out-priced the idea of standing pat. And for the love of god.....don't just let them walk! If you do that....then I will forever be on the "Pelinka sucks" side. We've managed to get some value here.....let's pick a path and go with it.

Sorry so long

Return to Los Angeles Lakers