ImageImageImageImageImage

Reaves should be our starting PG

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

stan francisco
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,558

Reaves should be our starting PG 

Post#1 » by stan francisco » Wed May 24, 2023 4:06 am

He’s the best floor general we have behind LeBron. LeBron also doesn’t mind delegating to him.

I’d try to go after Klay Thompson or another elite wing scorer instead of chasing Trae (even if he was Kobe’s daughter’s fave).

We may already have our PG in Reaves, is my point. Let’s go big. Do you agree?
NBA titles since the merger: LAL 11, CHI 6, SAS 5, BOS 5, GSW 4.
scoobs07
Starter
And1: 82

Re: Reaves should he our starting PG 

Post#2 » by scoobs07 » Wed May 24, 2023 4:25 am

Lakers could go with a shooting guard that is quick enough to defend 1s, allowing Reaves to defend the 2s. Examples of such players are Simons and Rozier. I agree that Reaves should be the 1 offensively. Back in the showtime era, Magic Johnson had Byron Scott to defend the 1s. Pippen was the initiator for the Bulls dynasty, but smaller shooting guard were utilized to defend the 1s, such as Kerr, BJ Armstrong, etc. Then in the Shaq/Kobe era, the Lakers had Fisher defend the 1s, while Kobe defended the two's, even though Kobe was the primary ball hander. Later, Lebron had the same type of small shooting guard types to defend the ones, such as Chalmers, and Avery Bradley. KCP and Caruso handled those duties in the bubble. So, it's an easy fix.
stan francisco
Lead Assistant

Post#3 » by stan francisco » Wed May 24, 2023 9:26 am

Good post.

Yes, switches would be needed indeed as he can’t guard Brunson etc. It’ll depend on matchups. If you go up in size from there to follow Phil Jackson’s theory of dominating by size, that should work, too.

Is there a downside to starting Reaves as our main ball handler, I guess is my main question. I think he just proved he’s perfectly capable for that gig.

If so, maybe we should be looking for an elite shooting/scoring guard or wing instead.
stan francisco
Lead Assistant

Post#4 » by stan francisco » Mon Jun 12, 2023 4:08 pm

I take the lack of no answers as a loud yes.
MyUniBroDavis
General Manager
And1: 4,860

Post#5 » by MyUniBroDavis » Tue Jun 13, 2023 7:03 am

stan francisco wrote:I take the lack of no answers as a loud yes.

I think there’s more value in his playmaking at the 2

Lebron and Reaves being our only real playmakers puts a bit too much pressure on both of them imo
DanishLakerFan
Veteran
And1: 569

Re: Reaves should be our starting PG 

Post#6 » by DanishLakerFan » Tue Jun 13, 2023 9:10 am

stan francisco wrote:He’s the best floor general we have behind LeBron. LeBron also doesn’t mind delegating to him.

I’d try to go after Klay Thompson or another elite wing scorer instead of chasing Trae (even if he was Kobe’s daughter’s fave).

We may already have our PG in Reaves, is my point. Let’s go big. Do you agree?

Reaves easily could start at the point on offense and he can defend both the 1 and 2, which gives them a lot of flexibility in terms of rounding out the team and they can try to add the best available player.

A few names/routes:
Reaves - Buddy - Dennis
CP3- Reaves - Lonnie
FVV - Reaves - Lonnie
Reaves - D'Lo - Dennis
dAdo dA dEvil
Sixth Man
And1: 476

Post#7 » by dAdo dA dEvil » Wed Jun 14, 2023 12:28 am

I like Reaves at the PG then get big by adding a center. I observed that better things happen when Austin has the ball in his hands than Lebron or DLo. Reaves has a very good BBIQ that he is capable of playing the point.
TJM217
Pro Prospect
And1: 242

Post#8 » by TJM217 » Wed Jun 14, 2023 8:21 am

I love reaves. He's the 3rd best player on the Lakers. I don't think he is a Pg. Doesn't have good enough handle. He's a average at best passer for a 1. As a 2 however he is an above average passer and ball handler imo. If he gets stronger and able to handle some 3s on defense he would be an amazing player
Lake Show Baby!!!
dAdo dA dEvil
Sixth Man
And1: 476

Post#9 » by dAdo dA dEvil » Thu Jun 15, 2023 12:29 am

Reaves kinda reminds me of Steve Nash.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers