stan francisco
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,558

Summer League watch 

Post#1 » by stan francisco » Mon Jul 3, 2023 11:48 pm

LAL-MIA

Late in the fourth, we’re down by 19.

Bright spots so far, game one:

Max Christie. Makes very few mental mistakes. He’s NBA game rotation ready. Lateral quickness on defense is impressive, so is his shot form. Smooth.

Castleton. He’ll earn some PT in his first season. Great handles and great hands in traffic. Good rebounder. A Plumlee like player but with good defensive fire and instincts. Smart. Huge frame.

Lewis and Fino underwhelmed. So did Hodge and Baugh. I’ve officially given up on Swider.

Figueroa had a few moments but I think only because it was lackluster from all other players except the above. Killeya-Jones looked to be an okay project.
NBA titles since the merger: LAL 11, CHI 6, SAS 5, BOS 5, GSW 4.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,235

Re: Summer League watch 

Post#2 » by Kilroy » Mon Jul 3, 2023 11:55 pm

This language you speak intrigues me... What's it all mean?
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
stan francisco
Lead Assistant

Post#3 » by stan francisco » Tue Jul 4, 2023 12:00 am

Kilroy wrote:This language you speak intrigues me... What's it all mean?

It means Linda Rambis gave back the GM duties to Rob, and as consolidation she and her hubby got to put together the summer league team.

:nod:
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,235

Post#4 » by Kilroy » Tue Jul 4, 2023 12:07 am

stan francisco wrote:

It means Linda Rambis gave back the GM duties to Rob, and as consolidation she and her hubby got to put together the summer league team.

Ah... That explains why I recognize no names but Christie... Or, maybe it doesn't really... 8-)
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
stan francisco
Lead Assistant

Post#5 » by stan francisco » Tue Jul 4, 2023 12:07 am

Kilroy wrote:
stan francisco wrote:

Ah... That explains why I recognize no names but Christie... Or, maybe it doesn't really... 8-)

I just changed the font to green.
Showtime:Part2
General Manager
And1: 495

Post#6 » by Showtime:Part2 » Tue Jul 4, 2023 2:30 am

I actually thought maxwell Lewis looked like the best offensive player out there, he was just pulled way too frequently and didn’t play enough minutes. Even this goddamn summer league coach is like ham. Who the hell is figeroua and why is he playing more than ur srp?? Everyone else was meh except max who was above average (needs to work on his handles and can’t be missing open corner 3s). Really disappointed we didn’t resign Lonnie for like 7mm if we have to rely on a backup 2 guard consistently out of this group. Max is good, but he’s a 3nd guy, he’s not a shot creator microwave type that we are sorely lacking. If anything I could see a reaves, Christie, lebron, hachimura, ad lineup to close games so I’m not knocking max at all. Just saying he’s 3nD not microwave scorer which is a role we are missing

Jhs- he’s basically Shaun Livingston. Which is not a good thing in todays nba. Good passer, decent defender who can’t create any efficient offense for himself bc he doesn’t have a jumper and isn’t an elite athlete. Imo, maxwell Lewis will be the better player

Swider- good shooter but doesn’t belong on an nba roster. Not sure why we are wasting a 2 way on him.

Rest not worth discussing

On the Miami side, we should try to swoop chase audige to a 2 way. He’s was imo the best 2 guard defender in college hoops last year and he’s not a bad shooter at all. Plays within the team, doesn’t force things.
Warspite:

Prince + filler for Kobe Bryant
To be honest the way Prince has played and with Kobes injury/age/mileage Im not sure I would do that deal either. Still Prince is more important and he wins the head to head battles with Kobe.
ROballer
General Manager
And1: 2,754

Post#7 » by ROballer » Tue Jul 4, 2023 4:13 am

I'm perfectly fine with Christie getting full time backup SG minutes over the likes of Beasley, Lonnie or whatever name of a non needle threader scrub might have been mentioned around here.

Kid is ready to play a role every single night.
He'll easily beat Reddish to enter the rotation from opening night.
Steve Nash injures his back while carrying bags

Slava wrote:I pulled a hammy while fapping. I won't make fun of Nash.
hoosierdaddy34
Head Coach
And1: 5,726

Post#8 » by hoosierdaddy34 » Wed Jul 5, 2023 10:02 am

The JHS stuff is crazy on here. Jamal Murray went 5-14 with 5 turnovers his first summer league. He finished SL that year shooting just 26% from 3 and looked really shaky.

Super young guards generally struggle in that setting. JHS will be a far different player in two years after the Lakers player development gets into him. There is zero reasons to worry at this point. Give the kid at least a year of growth.

The naysaying on this kid is pretty dumb at this point.

I will agree that outside of our draft picks and two way players (except Swider), this SL team is garbage. I don’t know where they found these dudes but they suck.

Just play Christie, Castleton, JHS, Pippen, Hodge, Fudge, and Lewis. Maybe find one other guy for 8 man rotation…the rest of these dudes can get the hell on. No reason for them to see the court.
zuju
Senior
And1: 126

Post#9 » by zuju » Wed Jul 5, 2023 4:00 pm

People are overly concern the rookies' performance too soon.

Its always the best if they could play like a starter or star from the get go. It is seldom the case with the draft position.

JHS attacked the rim more often after missing shots. Its a good sign he can adjust and has the ability to adjust with conditions. His shooting form was fine. Those shots just didn't fall.

Hope both Max play with more aggressiveness.
stan francisco
Lead Assistant

Post#10 » by stan francisco » Wed Jul 5, 2023 7:39 pm

zuju wrote:People are overly concern the rookies' performance too soon.

Its always the best if they could play like a starter or star from the get go. It is seldom the case with the draft position.

JHS attacked the rim more often after missing shots. Its a good sign he can adjust and has the ability to adjust with conditions. His shooting form was fine. Those shots just didn't fall.

Hope both Max play with more aggressiveness.

I actually never expect much from any rookie. I had however watched some videos and hoped to see flashes of who they are, in their first game, like Ingram and Kuzma and Hart did.

Maybe next game. I was also hoping to see proof that Fino’s defense could beat out D Lo’s…
stan francisco
Lead Assistant

Post#11 » by stan francisco » Wed Jul 5, 2023 11:18 pm

5:00PM pacific time, LAL-SAS ESPN summer league.

Victor Wembanyama’s first time facing the Lakers.
ROballer
General Manager

Post#12 » by ROballer » Thu Jul 6, 2023 4:40 am

Max Christie....I'm starting to get too high on this kid.

I know it's Summer League and all, but he's 20x better now than Summer League last year.

The level of improvement is just monstruos in one year.

stan francisco
Lead Assistant

Post#13 » by stan francisco » Thu Jul 6, 2023 11:01 am

Christie proved worthy of rotation minutes again. Rarely makes a mental mistake. Jumper is looking good. Impressive lateral quickness defensively. Very aware. Love his game.

Castleton can rebound, outlet pass, and even lead the break at 6’11” which is a very good third stringer skill set, unless he’s sent to South Bay. He’s a project but I like how he thinks the game. Back to the basket. Needs to develop a three and needs to avoid the three second paint violation.

Hood-Schifino played much better in game 2. I see him as a Derek Fisher type, but more skilled offensively.

Hamilton had a few good moments.

Swider is a very good shooter, but not yet NBA ready in his all around game. His mind needs to calm down, and he could become a smaller Rick Fox kind.
perempe20
Sixth Man
And1: 938

Post#14 » by perempe20 » Thu Jul 6, 2023 1:32 pm

stan francisco wrote:Hood-Schifino played much better in game 2. I see him as a Derek Fisher type, but more skilled offensively.

nice left hand finishing.
ROballer
General Manager

Post#15 » by ROballer » Sat Jul 8, 2023 4:32 am

Okay. If someone ever suggests signing any other guard/wing to a contract on this board he should receive a warning from the mods for trolling.

Play Max Christie. A LOT!!!

Jesus Christ, how good is he.

MAMBAEMD
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,622

Post#16 » by MAMBAEMD » Sat Jul 8, 2023 5:12 am

Christie is absolutely the real deal.
He looks awesome against GSW tonight.

He should get lots of minutes in the regular season
Formerly lakerRD
Showtime:Part2
General Manager
And1: 495

Post#17 » by Showtime:Part2 » Sat Jul 8, 2023 2:42 pm

Max looks solid. Surprisingly good athleticism attacking the rim. I’m impressed
Warspite:

Prince + filler for Kobe Bryant

To be honest the way Prince has played and with Kobes injury/age/mileage Im not sure I would do that deal either. Still Prince is more important and he wins the head to head battles with Kobe.
TylersLakers
RealGM
And1: 2,824

Post#18 » by TylersLakers » Sat Jul 8, 2023 4:55 pm

Observations:

- Max looks ready. I think he’ll be the 9th man for us this year after D-Lo/Reaves/Vando/LeBron/AD/Vincent/Rui/Prince. Christie vs Cam Reddish will be an interesting training camp battle.

- Alex Fudge gives me young Trevor Ariza vibes before we traded for him.

- I’m not impressed with JHS. The Lakers don’t have any real salary they can include right now in a trade. But if that pick was available for any legit player and we turned it down, that’s a gut punch.

- Max Lewis. He’s way bigger than I thought.

- Love Castleton, he’ll be a legit player for us during the games AD doesn’t play. He’ll play a role at times this year.
zuju
Senior
And1: 126

Post#19 » by zuju » Sun Jul 9, 2023 5:32 am

Not very concerned of JHS. He is a pg / combo guard. PGs mostly need a ststem for them to run effectively unless he's a floor general type to guide their teammates.

JHS has already shown he was able to attack the rim and shoot. He still needs some time for development. But won't br far from being a 10-15 mins reliable option. Will be a very good player long term
hoosierdaddy34
Head Coach
And1: 5,726

Post#20 » by hoosierdaddy34 » Sun Jul 9, 2023 6:12 pm

zuju wrote:Not very concerned of JHS. He is a pg / combo guard. PGs mostly need a ststem for them to run effectively unless he's a floor general type to guide their teammates.

JHS has already shown he was able to attack the rim and shoot. He still needs some time for development. But won't br far from being a 10-15 mins reliable option. Will be a very good player long term

Yeah I’m not concerned about him at all. Lots of 19 and 20 year old guards have struggled in their first summer league and gone on to be really good. I’m impressed at how he understands how to use change of speed and direction to get to where he wants to go. That’s a skill many guards don’t learn till their mid to late 20s. But he can get to the rim, he can get to his spot for a floater, he’s got hood court vision, good defensively. He will become a better shooter and finisher as he progresses. He will get much stronger and with his body frame will be able to go through a lot of guards. He’s got a lot of room to grow. I think he’s going to be good if people have a little patience.

I really don’t think he plays much this year and that’s ok. A redshirt year and some run in the G League isn’t a bad thing. But the Lakers just have so much depth that I don’t know how they find him any minutes. If he does fight his way into the rotation? He might be something special.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers