ImageImageImageImageImage

14th roster aaspot - who you got?

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

DanishLakerFan
Veteran
And1: 569

Re: 14th roster aaspot - who you got? 

Post#21 » by DanishLakerFan » Tue Aug 8, 2023 7:12 am

Christian Wood is the guy we should sign.
stan francisco
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,558

Post#22 » by stan francisco » Tue Aug 8, 2023 11:23 pm

DanishLakerFan wrote:Christian Wood is the guy we should sign.

It was just reported today that Dallas won’t allow Lakers or Heat being Wood’s end destination, so we need to figure out a deal where we bring a defensive bruiser C back. Wood or no Wood as part of a multi team trade, I can wait until Dec 15 when we can put D Lo on the block for a C who is either above the hill or climbing.
NBA titles since the merger: LAL 11, CHI 6, SAS 5, BOS 5, GSW 4.
DanishLakerFan
Veteran

Post#23 » by DanishLakerFan » Wed Aug 9, 2023 8:25 am

stan francisco wrote:

It was just reported today that Dallas won’t allow Lakers or Heat being Wood’s end destination, so we need to figure out a deal where we bring a defensive bruiser C back. Wood or no Wood as part of a multi team trade, I can wait until Dec 15 when we can put D Lo on the block for a C who is either above the hill or climbing.

I kinda expected the Mavs not to be interested in doing LA any favors in that regard.

As i understand it the Lakers can offer the vets min. That's it. And if Wood wants more than that they'd have to do a s/t with LA sending out a player. Vando was mentioned as a candidate earlier, but it seems LA wasn't interested in that and i'm not sure if there's anything else they can offer that makes sense. That goes for Miami as well.

For Wood i think the best course of action is to sign with the team that can put him in the best possible situation to show that he's worth a major contract in 2024. That would be far wiser than to chase a s/t to a lesser situation that lands him a couple of million extra right now. I think he'd be an excellent fit with both Miami and LA as well as a few other contending teams.
Doug_12
Senior
And1: 444

Post#24 » by Doug_12 » Wed Aug 9, 2023 10:41 am

stan francisco wrote:

Won't allow in what sense? I mean Wood is a FA, what does Dallas not allow?

What I've read is that we are not considered as s'n't partners, which I guess is just the description of our state, because we anyways have no one to offer.
DanishLakerFan
Veteran

Post#25 » by DanishLakerFan » Wed Aug 9, 2023 10:53 am

Doug_12 wrote:
stan francisco wrote:

What I've read is that we are not considered as s'n't partners, which I guess is just a statement, because we anyways have no one to offer.

Its a click-bait article imo.

Wood wants more than what Lakers and Heat can offer so a s/t would be the only option. Dallas isn't interested in doing deals with those teams because they dont have any players that realistically could be included.
MAMBAEMD
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,622

Post#26 » by MAMBAEMD » Fri Aug 11, 2023 12:17 am

I'm ready to move on from Wood.
The more I read about him, the more I think he would not be a value add.
His only positive attributes are scoring, and to some extend rebounding, when he's in a good mood.

Not sure what kind of rotations and match ups we would put together to have him help the team. Frankly, I'm not impressed at all with Ham's rotations to begin with.

I'd go with Biyombo, and Castleton, who also have holes in their games, but they don't have attitude problems, and potential for toxicity in the locker room.
Formerly lakerRD
stan francisco
Lead Assistant

Post#27 » by stan francisco » Fri Aug 11, 2023 9:08 pm

DanishLakerFan wrote:
Doug_12 wrote:
stan francisco wrote:

What I've read is that we are not considered as s'n't partners, which I guess is just a statement, because we anyways have no one to offer.

Its a click-bait article imo.

Wood wants more than what Lakers and Heat can offer so a s/t would be the only option. Dallas isn't interested in doing deals with those teams because they dont have any players that realistically could be included.

This. And Cuban hates us so deeply, he will never okay a deal that makes us better. Period. SNT or not.
Godfather13
Sophomore
And1: 47

Post#28 » by Godfather13 » Thu Aug 17, 2023 2:22 pm

stan francisco wrote:
This. And Cuban hates us so deeply, he will never okay a deal that makes us better. Period. SNT or not.

That's how I read it.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,235

Post#29 » by Kilroy » Thu Aug 17, 2023 9:48 pm

Godfather13 wrote:
stan francisco wrote:

That's how I read it.

Cuban doesn't hate us... He's just terrified of making a bad deal with us... He's not that smart or confident enough to just make the best deal for his team.

That said, I think we've put too much energy into Wood at this point... Also, it's pretty common for us to keep a roster spot open heading into the season anyway to provide trade flexibility later.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
stan francisco
Lead Assistant

Post#30 » by stan francisco » Fri Aug 18, 2023 12:25 am

Kilroy wrote:
Godfather13 wrote:
stan francisco wrote:

That's how I read it.

Cuban doesn't hate us... He's just terrified of making a bad deal with us... He's not that smart or confident enough to just make the best deal for his team.

That said, I think we've put too much energy into Wood at this point... Also, it's pretty common for us to keep a roster spot open heading into the season anyway to provide trade flexibility later.

Wood won’t happen. And, we’re going to need an extra spot like you say, especially on Dec 16 when we trade D Lo and a pick for a PG and a prospect big. :nod:
Godfather13
Sophomore

Post#31 » by Godfather13 » Fri Aug 18, 2023 3:21 am

Kilroy wrote:
Godfather13 wrote:
stan francisco wrote:

That's how I read it.

Cuban does hate the Lakers - was one of the 3 GM/Owners who went crying to David Stern about the CP trade which was completely legal, and only turned down by Stern as the acting governor of NOLA, on their behest.

https://www.slamonline.com/archives/mark-cuban-hopes-lakers-suck-forever/

I also think there's no doubt he's an aptly smart and confident person having founded and successfully running multiple businesses.

And we have 2 open roster spots at the moment, not one(which is common).
Godfather13
Sophomore

Post#32 » by Godfather13 » Fri Aug 18, 2023 4:55 am

Read on Twitter

How many of these will AD & Lebron sit out? How does this change our perspective on the 2 open roster spots?
stan francisco
Lead Assistant

Post#33 » by stan francisco » Wed Aug 23, 2023 1:11 am

Maybe Cuban loves us after all. JaVale waived?

Anything left in his tank?
SlimShady83
General Manager
And1: 1,250

Post#34 » by SlimShady83 » Wed Aug 23, 2023 9:02 am

stan francisco wrote:Maybe Cuban loves us after all. JaVale waived?

Last resort only ... And I mean last resort

waiting for Wood (pipe dream) ... Maybe Whiteside, Howard, Boogie all b4 Javale. I hope they can just get a big body who can give 10-15 min a game, too much to ask for? If you can't get a big body, somebody young and hungry even go as far as bringing back Wenyen - ok he not young, but he compared to those lols.
My Personal Top 10 all time
Jordan, Russell, Bird, Duncan, Magic, Kobe, Curry, Shaq, Kareem, Bron

Top 5 will always be the same, 6-10 will change from time to time :)
hoosierdaddy34
Head Coach
And1: 5,726

Post#35 » by hoosierdaddy34 » Wed Aug 23, 2023 10:01 pm

Total hearsay - I have a friend (who I trust) who works with a guy (no idea this dudes credibility) who apparently was waiting for a flight with Mike Trudell a few weeks ago who said the Lakers are just waiting on Christian Wood and will continue to wait. Take it for what you will but based on everything we’ve seen, seems pretty logical that is what is happening.
NatiboyB
Rookie
And1: 389

Post#36 » by NatiboyB » Wed Aug 23, 2023 11:01 pm

if the pacer waive daniel theis is he an option you all would look at
'
Doug_12
Senior
And1: 444

Post#37 » by Doug_12 » Thu Aug 24, 2023 8:46 am

stan francisco wrote:Maybe Cuban loves us after all. JaVale waived?

I doubt it. He couldn't get meaningful minutes in a team being in desperate need for a big body who can defend. Having them put him on the bench to favor Christian Wood and Dwight Powell in these circumstances, shows what he is capable of now. And next season, he will be one more year older and one more year slower.

I'd consider Tristan Thompson much earlier than him.
Godfather13
Sophomore

Post#38 » by Godfather13 » Fri Aug 25, 2023 10:02 pm

hoosierdaddy34 wrote:Total hearsay - I have a friend (who I trust) who works with a guy (no idea this dudes credibility) who apparently was waiting for a flight with Mike Trudell a few weeks ago who said the Lakers are just waiting on Christian Wood and will continue to wait. Take it for what you will but based on everything we’ve seen, seems pretty logical that is what is happening.
It makes sense fwiw. Keith Smith implied the same.

Wood is waiting for the Dame/Harden trade to see if a team opens up some space to pay him TMLE level money in a sign and trade.

Lakers wait for Wood to figure this **** out & perhaps snag a player out of a bigger trade or some other players that'll get waived by the likes of OKC that have >15 players on their roster rn

Neither have much to gain by rushing the process before training camp starts, other than curing fan anxiety.
Godfather13
Sophomore

Post#39 » by Godfather13 » Fri Aug 25, 2023 10:05 pm

NatiboyB wrote:if the pacer waive daniel theis is he an option you all would look at
'
He's an elite s reen setter and a truly brave big who isn't afraid to bang for rebounds. Underrated passer who will feed LeBron, AD, Reaves & Vando on some rim runs.

I wouldn't mind him on a partially guaranteed vet min, which leaves us enough money for a waiver > signing around the deadline.
stan francisco
Lead Assistant

Post#40 » by stan francisco » Mon Aug 28, 2023 5:11 pm

For those of you from down under, what’s the report on Duop Reath’s defense?

Return to Los Angeles Lakers