Anthony Davis Extends with Lakers

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,849

Re: Anthony Davis Extends with Lakers 

Post#21 » by dockingsched » Wed Aug 9, 2023 11:27 pm

AD will be the same age players like Curry and Durant are right now when this contract ends. Of course you max him out as soon and for as long as possible :lol:
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
Landsberger
General Manager
And1: 1,973

Post#22 » by Landsberger » Sun Aug 13, 2023 4:32 am

tamaraw08 wrote: you know what is?
It’s letting AD walk for nothing and no good Free agent is willing to come here because we didn’t want to pay Davis after seeing him play hard to give us a championship.

Yikes! They are paying Davis because no one has wanted to come here... even with him and Bron. The ownership is a mess and is desperately swinging at fences ever since the old man passed.

It will keep a product on the floor that's better than a complete tear down over the next few years but it puts us no closer to a championship than we were the day before he signed. He's not someone you anchor a team to if your serious about winning and Bron is all but done.

I hope we can stay healthy and compete but reality is against me.
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,645

Post#23 » by danfantastk32 » Sun Aug 13, 2023 4:49 pm

Landsberger wrote:I hope we can stay healthy and compete but reality is against me.

Putting it nicely
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,235

Post#24 » by Kilroy » Sun Aug 13, 2023 7:07 pm

AD is still one of at least the top 10 best players in the league when healthy and motivated and used right... And he's still top 5 at least 2-way... He's not as fragile as the narratives say if you factor in what other star players are going through...
So the extension in itself isn't a bad deal...

That said, I don't have high confidence in this team... But AD isn't the problem... LeBron is... He's old and only knows how to be effective when he eats first, middle and last, at this point... And while he eats, he eats clock like a fat kid eats cake... We win games but we look more formidable, when we're led by AD and supported by LeBron, rather than the other way around... And that's just not often enough to be a real threat IMO...

So I'm happy for AD, and I think the FO has done a pretty incredible job surrounding the 2 of them with talent this off season, I just can't get too stoked about another AD/LeBron run...

All that said, the right D'Lo trade could make a huge difference... Which will be harder to accept the longer we go, because D'Lo can pile on points when it doesn't matter... He'll be a beast at times during the season, but holding onto him is fools-gold, if we actually care about winning a championship... Which in all honesty, I'm not sure that's really the goal... And wonder if it has been for a few seasons now...
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
Godfather13
Sophomore
And1: 47

Post#25 » by Godfather13 » Wed Aug 16, 2023 1:01 am

Kilroy wrote:That said, I don't have high confidence in this team... But AD isn't the problem... LeBron is... He's old and only knows how to be effective when he eats first, middle and last, at this point... And while he eats, he eats clock like a fat kid eats cake... We win games but we look more formidable, when we're led by AD and supported by LeBron, rather than the other way around... And that's just not often enough to be a real threat IMO...

Wow.. Lebron was the #1 scorer in the league last two years of cuts & slashes, and also happens to be a top 5 all time assists record holder. But cook.. lol
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#26 » by Kilroy » Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:09 pm

Godfather13 wrote:
Kilroy wrote:That said, I don't have high confidence in this team... But AD isn't the problem... LeBron is... He's old and only knows how to be effective when he eats first, middle and last, at this point... And while he eats, he eats clock like a fat kid eats cake... We win games but we look more formidable, when we're led by AD and supported by LeBron, rather than the other way around... And that's just not often enough to be a real threat IMO...

Wow.. Lebron was the #1 scorer in the league last two years of cuts & slashes, and also happens to be a top 5 all time assists record holder. But cook.. lol

What was the Lakers record while he was putting up all those great numbers?
tamaraw08
Analyst
And1: 1,313

Post#27 » by tamaraw08 » Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:17 pm

danfantastk32 wrote:
Landsberger wrote:I hope we can stay healthy and compete but reality is against me.

Putting it nicely

It's a daunting task.. to be healthy and at the same time not be rusty and win enough games to have some kind of a home court advantage.
Lakers would need to play great stingy defense while Vando, Prince, James, Vincent hitting 38% from 3.
D'Lo and Hayes finding good chemistry with their pick and roll,
Christie finding ways to contribute and Ham making better adjustments.
Managing the load of AD is a must and I also hope Castleton would develop fast.
Godfather13
Sophomore

Post#28 » by Godfather13 » Thu Aug 17, 2023 2:20 pm

Kilroy wrote:
Godfather13 wrote:

Oh I get it. You're just a hater. Good for you :clap:
hoosierdaddy34
Head Coach
And1: 5,726

Post#29 » by hoosierdaddy34 » Fri Aug 18, 2023 6:26 pm

It’s absolutely crazy to me that people want AD at the 4 shooting jumpers all the time instead of at the 5 scoring at the rim. Just the dumbest idea ever.

https://x.com/alexmregla/status/1692206629293637781?s=46&t=4WiSWJzRnwEOePDqdpBcMQ
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#30 » by Kilroy » Fri Aug 18, 2023 8:58 pm

Godfather13 wrote:
Kilroy wrote:
Godfather13 wrote:

Oh, absolutely, I am... But that doesn't change the fact you didn't answer the question. 8-)
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#31 » by Kilroy » Fri Aug 18, 2023 9:05 pm

hoosierdaddy34 wrote:It’s absolutely crazy to me that people want AD at the 4 shooting jumpers all the time instead of at the 5 scoring at the rim. Just the dumbest idea ever.

Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=4WiSWJzRnwEOePDqdpBcMQ

What we as fans want misses the point... Yes, AD is more efficient on offense as a C... That's not really debatable...

But that's only a relatively small part of the equation... He's also not capable of being a full time C and putting up big numbers at that position night after night...
Basically, as obvious as it is that AD is most effective on offense at the 5, it's equally obvious that AD as full time C, is unsustainable...

He needs to save as much of his body as possible during the season, so that he can sustain heavy time at C during the post-season...

So, however you want to cut it... Call AD our C, but only play him 20min a game at C... Or have him play a lot of time at the 4 next to a physical big body... Either way, you're not going to get Dominant C AD for big minutes night in and night out...
Godfather13
Sophomore

Post#32 » by Godfather13 » Sun Aug 20, 2023 12:45 pm

Kilroy wrote:
Godfather13 wrote:
Kilroy wrote:

Oh, absolutely, I am... But that doesn't change the fact you didn't answer the question. 8-)

Yeah, cos whatever you say about him means nothing to me cos of the prejudice. That's your own fight to fight bud, not mine.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#33 » by Kilroy » Mon Aug 21, 2023 7:41 am

Godfather13 wrote:
Kilroy wrote:
Godfather13 wrote:

Yeah, cos whatever you say about him means nothing to me cos of the prejudice. That's your own fight to fight bud, not mine.

I gave a cogent response with several points, to which you replied "Your a hater."

Clown shoes... :noway:
Godfather13
Sophomore

Post#34 » by Godfather13 » Mon Aug 21, 2023 7:50 pm

Kilroy wrote:
Godfather13 wrote:
Kilroy wrote:

I gave a cogent response with several points, to which you replied "Your a hater."

Why don't you cogently expand on your initial point about Lebron's need to eat first, and I can respond to that? lol

The Lakers record in 2021-22 is mostly down to an ageing & severely flawed roster, pathetic ownership / front office & poor coaching, not a 37 year old player who had perhaps a top 2 all time most efficient 30 ppg season of all time, when he simply chose to walk past the scoring title. Man's **** are better than your favourite player's peak.

Now, of course, you'd wish for Lebron & AD to leave it all out there every night in the regular season on the defensive end like good soldiers. It's just not gonna happen for good reason, but you're welcome to cry about it.
stan francisco
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,558

Post#35 » by stan francisco » Sat Aug 26, 2023 3:12 pm

At C, AD gets more injured. I’d love seeing him dominate down low but we can’t go that route.

Ham will probably go that route and it’ll cost us if he does.

Injuries are the most important stat for deciphering AD’s best usage. He doesn’t help us from the bench. If not C, then why not PF? Because of LBJ.

Playing AD as a stretch four isn’t a bad idea, in my opinion. He makes the clutch threes well enough to have to be guarded, has a good midrange and passing game. But, LBJ can’t really play SF anymore or C at a fully competitive level. He’s occupying the PF spot.

If we look at AD’s background he played PG his whole life until he got too tall. His skill set makes him a very scary wing at 6’11”. Like with Dirk, the other coach would have to adjust to prevent a terrible mismatch.

AD is a wing in a 6’11” body.

We just need a C who plays both ends. No, Hayes doesn’t meet all needs on defense.

Ham will probably start:
PG: Reaves
SG: Christie / Vando
SF: Hachimura
PF: James
C: Davis

I’d like to argue we still don’t have a starting C, besides AD. AD’s skill set is huge, and I’d argue that we’re under utilizing him at PF and C, although he’s elite at both positions. He’s a wing. Let’s create mismatches.

PG: Reaves
SG: Christie
SF: Davis
PF: James
C: Adams / Theis / a C who plays quality defense

On Dec 15, trade D Lo and Hayes and filler or a future pick or two as a package for someone like Steven Adams or another C on an underperforming team.

If we want to be the aggressor from a coaching standpoint, 29 head coaches would have to adjust their starting lineup when facing the Lakers, if Ham just had the chutzpah to try it. Which SFs couldn’t AD handle on both ends? I can’t think of one besides a healthy Kawhi Leonard.

Playing AD at C 45MPG during regular season spells no AD due to injury for a long stretch of the season.

EDIT: with our roster we could play a position less style of offense a la Kerr, but I’d go for a few triangle sets myself. Ham, consult with Phil on how to maximize AD’s talent. Please.
NBA titles since the merger: LAL 11, CHI 6, SAS 5, BOS 5, GSW 4.
manlisten
Junior
And1: 311

Post#36 » by manlisten » Sun Aug 27, 2023 4:27 pm

Kilroy wrote:Either way, you're not going to get Dominant C AD for big minutes night in and night out...

Where are you getting this from? Did you watch any games last season?
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach

Post#37 » by danfantastk32 » Mon Aug 28, 2023 5:32 am

manlisten wrote:
Kilroy wrote:Either way, you're not going to get Dominant C AD for big minutes night in and night out...

Well, let's see here.....Davis misses 32% (basically a third) of last season. He missed over 50% of the the season before that. Oh, and wait....he missed almost 60% of the season before that. Aaaaannnnndddd he starts it all missing a quarter of his first season with us.

I'd venture to guess that that's where he's getting it from. Since Davis has played 59% of his games as a Laker, I think it's more than fair to say "night in and night out" is not part of his game.....no matter how amazing that game may be. And let's remember this was his 20's. It will be his 30's from now on.

Never mind dominant.....your not gonna get any sort of AD night in and night out.
manlisten
Junior
And1: 311

Post#38 » by manlisten » Mon Aug 28, 2023 2:43 pm

danfantastk32 wrote:
manlisten wrote:

Well, let's see here.....Davis misses 32% (basically a third) of last season. He missed over 50% of the the season before that. Oh, and wait....he missed almost 60% of the season before that. Aaaaannnnndddd he starts it all missing a quarter of his first season with us.

I'd venture to guess that that's where he's getting it from. Since Davis has played 59% of his games as a Laker, I think it's more than fair to say "night in and night out" is not part of his game.....no matter how amazing that game may be. And let's remember this was his 20's. It will be his 30's from now on.

Never mind dominant.....your not gonna get any sort of AD night in and night out.

That's not exclusive to him playing center, which was the point being made. Every player misses games and has off nights. When AD is available he's dominant on a consistent basis.
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach

Post#39 » by danfantastk32 » Mon Aug 28, 2023 3:25 pm

manlisten wrote:That's not exclusive to him playing center, which was the point being made. Every player misses games and has off nights. When AD is available he's dominant on a consistent basis.

Well it's exclusive to him playing basketball. So pick your position, and he won't be dominant on a night in - night out basis.

And while it's true that every player misses games, and has off nights, that's quite the dodge when it comes to Davis...playing only 59% of his games as a Laker. Not every player misses anywhere near that. And not every player has as many off-nights as AD does. Would it be fair to say that when you combine his missed games, and his poor performance games...that we are clearly below 50% when it comes to a dominant game? I think that's more than fair.

So I'm not really sure what your arguing. If he can't even take the court 40% of the time, then it stands to reason that he wouldn't be dominant Center 40% of the time. That simple fact alone pretty much sums Kilroy's statement up nicely. We really don't need to expound on this. We could...

We could argue about his poor performance games.

We could argue that banging down at Center would prob take even more toll on his body.

We could argue that he just went past the 30-hump.

But let's just settle for the fact that he misses 40% of his games. That sorta puts closure on any questions about him dominating night in and night out. No matter what position.

"AD is still one of at least the top 10 best players in the league when healthy and motivated and used right..."

Yikes, that's alot of qualifiers, no? Does anyone say Giannis is a top 10 player.....when healthy, motivated, and used right? Anyone ever say that about Bird? Or Kobe? Even Shaq mighta had the "motivated" qualifier....but not a laundry list.
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,849

Post#40 » by dockingsched » Mon Aug 28, 2023 3:25 pm

Kilroy wrote:
Godfather13 wrote:
Kilroy wrote:

Your point is basically that when the lakers win its despite Lebron and when they lose it’s cause of him.

No one is going to take that POV seriously much less exert energy arguing against someone with that mindset. It’s a clown POV.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore

Return to Los Angeles Lakers