Sofa King
RealGM
And1: 3,034

Lakers Land Christian Wood 

Post#1 » by Sofa King » Wed Sep 6, 2023 6:05 pm

https://www.youtube.com/live/mDCZsFb70As?si=-GP75kPApFMvJo8l

:clap: :clap:

Lakers add a big man to their bench, agreeing to deal with Christian Wood

point at the end of their offseason roster shaping by adding the talented big man.

Wood will sign for the veteran’s minimum on a two-year deal with a player option in the second season, according to a person familiar with the situation. If things go according to plan, though, he won’t be exercising it. Wood’s ability to stretch the floor on the offensive end — he averaged 16.6 points on 37.6% shooting from three last season in Dallas — is among the best in the league for players at his position.

He’s 6-foot-10 and will turn just 28 at the end of the month, giving the team another player in his prime in free agency to go with signings Gabe Vincent and Taurean Prince. The Lakers, in addition to keeping Austin Reaves, D’Angelo Russell and Rui Hachimura, also added former lottery picks Jaxson Hayes and Cam Reddish on low-risk free-agency deals.

source: https://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers/story/2023-09-05/christian-wood-agrees-deal-lakers
Beethoven
Head Coach
And1: 3,857

Re: Lakers Land Christian Wood 

Post#2 » by Beethoven » Wed Sep 6, 2023 8:38 pm

Love it. There's issues w him apparently from what I heard from Houston and Dallas fans, but I hope he brings more good than bad.
Kobe Bryant forever
GO LAKERS
8-)
LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,203

Post#3 » by LAKESHOW » Thu Sep 7, 2023 12:33 am

Chip!
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
dAdo dA dEvil
Sixth Man
And1: 476

Post#4 » by dAdo dA dEvil » Thu Sep 7, 2023 12:49 am

I like this signing primarily because we got another big. Now I wanna see how he fits with the team.
stan francisco
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,558

Post#5 » by stan francisco » Thu Sep 7, 2023 6:25 am

Rob Pelinka GMOY.
NBA titles since the merger: LAL 11, CHI 6, SAS 5, BOS 5, GSW 4.
bb22
Starter
And1: 1,008

Post#6 » by bb22 » Thu Sep 7, 2023 2:26 pm

Big that can spread the floor with both Bron and AD in the game. It's almost a necessity if you want AD playing at the 4.
MAMBAEMD
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,622

Post#7 » by MAMBAEMD » Thu Sep 7, 2023 3:12 pm

He’ll take up significant minutes in the regular season when LBJ and AD are resting. He has some positive attributes in being a good outside shooter as a big and can rebound too.
Most of his shots don’t come in the normal flow of an offense and he does quite a bit of iso ball which will frustrate Ham and teammates .

Ideally, he can show enough improvement as a team player throughout the year to earn meaningful minutes n the postseason.
Mi was hoping for a defensive minded big. But they went for another need which is outside shooting and giving a breather for AD in the regular season
Formerly lakerRD
Beethoven
Head Coach
And1: 3,857

Post#8 » by Beethoven » Fri Sep 8, 2023 3:55 pm

I hope he's the type who just needs to be in a winning environment in order to flourish properly.
Kobe Bryant forever
GO LAKERS
8-)
Godfather13
Sophomore
And1: 47

Post#9 » by Godfather13 » Sat Sep 9, 2023 3:00 pm

stan francisco wrote:Rob Pelinka GMOY.

I mean.. Atp, he's gotta be the clear favorite, right?
stan francisco
Lead Assistant

Post#10 » by stan francisco » Mon Sep 11, 2023 5:33 pm

Beethoven wrote:I hope he's the type who just needs to be in a winning environment in order to flourish properly.

He’ll be a great stretch five for us, but it won’t matter if he doesn’t play way better defense than he ever has before.

AD and coach Handy need to preach, teach, motivate with both Wood and Hayes. Ham needs to be rough on them with playing time if no D, get them into defensive focus mode from day one.
Godfather13
Sophomore
And1: 47

Post#11 » by Godfather13 » Mon Sep 11, 2023 6:58 pm

stan francisco wrote:
Beethoven wrote:I hope he's the type who just needs to be in a winning environment in order to flourish properly.

He’ll be a great stretch five for us, but it won’t matter if he doesn’t play way better defense than he ever has before.

AD and coach Handy need to preach, teach, motivate with both Wood and Hayes. Ham needs to be rough on them with playing time if no D, get them into defensive focus mode from day one.

100%

If he doesn't improve drastically on that end, he ends up being one more useless body with very little utility against good coaches/PGs in the playoffs like DLo & Vando.

I am kinda hopeful though cos of how badly his Free Agency went & Ham/Lebron's history with motivating the team.
stan francisco
Lead Assistant

Post#12 » by stan francisco » Mon Sep 11, 2023 8:40 pm

Here’s a good scouting report on his offense.

https://youtu.be/INYkl7-F2gk?si=a3I0dg37o_2j7CQX
LakersLegacy
Head Coach
And1: 3,871

Post#13 » by LakersLegacy » Sun Sep 24, 2023 5:20 am

He seems like a good fit. 6-9. I’d like to see us cut someone and sign both Boogie and Dwight and give them the specific mission of slowing down Joker. As we didn’t get anyone bigger than Davis. And he’s far smaller than Joker
dAdo dA dEvil
Sixth Man
And1: 476

Post#14 » by dAdo dA dEvil » Mon Sep 25, 2023 12:40 am

LakersLegacy wrote:He seems like a good fit. 6-9. I’d like to see us cut someone and sign both Boogie and Dwight and give them the specific mission of slowing down Joker. As we didn’t get anyone bigger than Davis. And he’s far smaller than Joker

I'd give Dwight a try first before Boogie. If we need another roster spot then that is when we cut or trade players to create another roster spot. But I would like to see first how this team will perform before I do a Dwight signing, cutting players or making trades.
Doug_12
Senior
And1: 444

Post#15 » by Doug_12 » Tue Sep 26, 2023 11:02 am

LakersLegacy wrote:He seems like a good fit. 6-9. I’d like to see us cut someone and sign both Boogie and Dwight and give them the specific mission of slowing down Joker. As we didn’t get anyone bigger than Davis. And he’s far smaller than Joker

Why do we keep mentioning these guys? They are done. Dwight was unplayable in bottom 10 team one and a half year ago. Cousins is quite similar. These guys can't even make it to the NBA today and we are expecting them to slow down the best player of the league?

Don't we want to reactivate Gary Payton also to slow Curry down?

There is no FA out there who could slow Jokic down. We might need someone like Kessler or Gobert, who can do some damage, but these players ain't cheap, we are not getting them for free.
stan francisco
Lead Assistant

Post#16 » by stan francisco » Thu Sep 28, 2023 4:42 pm

What can be done to improve our interior defense is if we drill Wood and Hayes into becoming elite positional help defenders. This is AD’s biggest talent; he reads this better than I think any current low post defender in the league. Wood and Hayes! Listen and learn from one of the best big man defenders of all time! On defense, do whatever he tells you! Be disciplined about it.

You don’t have to be huge to bother Jokic (Gabriel) but you need to have impeccable timing in when you slide over, so as to interrupt his flow, get in his head a bit by ‘knowing’ where he’s going.

Defense is a mindset. Wood and Hayes have all the athleticism and size needed if they just position themselves right on defense every second of play.
chickenstew
Ballboy
And1: 17

Post#17 » by chickenstew » Fri Sep 29, 2023 5:04 am

stan francisco wrote:What can be done to improve our interior defense is if we drill Wood and Hayes into becoming elite positional help defenders. This is AD’s biggest talent; he reads this better than I think any current low post defender in the league. Wood and Hayes! Listen and learn from one of the best big man defenders of all time! On defense, do whatever he tells you! Be disciplined about it.

You don’t have to be huge to bother Jokic (Gabriel) but you need to have impeccable timing in when you slide over, so as to interrupt his flow, get in his head a bit by ‘knowing’ where he’s going.

Defense is a mindset. Wood and Hayes have all the athleticism and size needed if they just position themselves right on defense every second of play.

Everyone has tried to get Woods to play D. He won’t do it.
chickenstew
Ballboy

Post#18 » by chickenstew » Fri Sep 29, 2023 5:05 am

Doug_12 wrote:

Why do we keep mentioning these guys? They are done. Dwight was unplayable in bottom 10 team one and a half year ago. Cousins is quite similar. These guys can't even make it to the NBA today and we are expecting them to slow down the best player of the league?

Don't we want to reactivate Gary Payton also to slow Curry down?

There is no FA out there who could slow Jokic down. We might need someone like Kessler or Gobert, who can do some damage, but these players ain't cheap, we are not getting them for free.

Dwight and Boogie are absolutely cooked, completely crispy, nothing left. They aren’t even worth being talked about as NBA players anymore.
stan francisco
Lead Assistant

Post#19 » by stan francisco » Fri Sep 29, 2023 8:35 pm

chickenstew wrote:
stan francisco wrote:What can be done to improve our interior defense is if we drill Wood and Hayes into becoming elite positional help defenders. This is AD’s biggest talent; he reads this better than I think any current low post defender in the league. Wood and Hayes! Listen and learn from one of the best big man defenders of all time! On defense, do whatever he tells you! Be disciplined about it.

Everyone? But coach Handy, AD, and LeBron? I don’t know. I’m an optimist.

Maybe he just needed to be told by someone he actually respects, someone who will shut his offensive ass down every day in practice if he doesn’t play harder defense than offense.

Do work, AD! Show Wood what badass defense can do to someone’s head. Don’t break his confidence but at least shut him down completely in one pass to teach him that playing only one way gets you halfway there.
chickenstew
Ballboy

Post#20 » by chickenstew » Fri Sep 29, 2023 8:53 pm

stan francisco wrote:
chickenstew wrote:

Everyone? But coach Handy, AD, and LeBron? I don’t know. I’m an optimist.

Maybe he just needed to be told by someone he actually respects, someone who will shut his offensive ass down every day in practice if he doesn’t play harder defense than offense.

Do work, AD! Show Wood what badass defense can do to someone’s head. Don’t break his confidence but at least shut him down completely in one pass to teach him that playing only one way gets you halfway there.

As of now he’s a situational player to me when we need some front court offense. I’m not counting on him for one drop more than that. Maybe he proves me wrong but I highly doubt it as I don’t believe players drastically change who they are in their 9th nba season.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers