ImageImageImageImageImage

Trade Deadline approaching - update Dennis return?

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

TyCobb
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 9,831

Re: Trade Deadline approaching - who is expendable? 

Post#61 » by TyCobb » Sat Dec 16, 2023 7:26 pm

I had two trades for bigs on the first page. :rolleyes:
Read more, learn more, change your posts.
Showtime:Part2
General Manager
And1: 495

Post#62 » by Showtime:Part2 » Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:14 pm

TyCobb wrote:I had two trades for bigs on the first page. :rolleyes:

U right, my b. Olynyk would be fantastic. Hendricks is a pipe dream lol
Warspite:

Prince + filler for Kobe Bryant
To be honest the way Prince has played and with Kobes injury/age/mileage Im not sure I would do that deal either. Still Prince is more important and he wins the head to head battles with Kobe.
stan francisco
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,558

Post#63 » by stan francisco » Sun Dec 17, 2023 10:52 pm

I still think our biggest weakness is our perimeter defense. Popovic agrees, based on his tactics in game 2 of 2 in SA. They won that game after an 18 game losing streak.

If we have a strong perimeter defense, the need for another big is reduced. I consider that our secondary need after a true two way guard.

But I agree, after we fix that, the secondary need is a reliable big so we don’t have to rely on AD playing post defense for three people 40MPG times 82 games.
NBA titles since the merger: LAL 11, CHI 6, SAS 5, BOS 5, GSW 4.
stan francisco
Lead Assistant

Post#64 » by stan francisco » Mon Dec 18, 2023 3:54 pm

https://basketball.realgm.com/tradechecker/saved_trade/7925874

Would you do this trade? Would Chicago? I’d say it depends on how strongly DeRozan feels about staying in Chicago or not. He just denied an extension offer. I think he likes winning.

This would be our roster:

PG: Reaves / Caruso / Fino
SG: DeRozan / Prince / Vando
SF: Reddish / DeRozan / James
PF: James / Hachimura / Davis
CTR: Davis / Wood / Castleton
Jody Smokz
Starter
And1: 1,393

Post#65 » by Jody Smokz » Mon Dec 18, 2023 7:54 pm

Where do we make up for the lack of shooting after this trade? How can you maximize a Bron/AD/Derozan lineup with no shooting?

stan francisco wrote:https://basketball.realgm.com/tradechecker/saved_trade/7925874

Would you do this trade? Would Chicago? I’d say it depends on how strongly DeRozan feels about staying in Chicago or not. He just denied an extension offer. I think he likes winning.

stan francisco
Lead Assistant

Post#66 » by stan francisco » Mon Dec 18, 2023 8:51 pm

Jody Smokz wrote:Where do we make up for the lack of shooting after this trade? How can you maximize a Bron/AD/Derozan lineup with no shooting?

stan francisco wrote:https://basketball.realgm.com/tradechecker/saved_trade/7925874

Prince, Reaves, Hachimura, LBJ, AD, Wood, Caruso can all knock down open shots, neither will be left open.

Feel free to improve it, come up with your own trade with Chicago. It takes a village. :D

Vando isn’t tradeable until March. We won’t get DMDR and Caruso for scrubs.

Edit: Vincent, Hayes, Christie have not exactly been prolific 3PT scorers this year. I’d hate to give up on Christie, but DeRozan and Caruso bring the fire we need on defense. DeRozan won’t be left open.
tamaraw08
Analyst
And1: 1,313

Post#67 » by tamaraw08 » Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:59 pm

stan francisco wrote:
Jody Smokz wrote:Where do we make up for the lack of shooting after this trade? How can you maximize a Bron/AD/Derozan lineup with no shooting?

Prince, Reaves, Hachimura, LBJ, AD, Wood, Caruso can all knock down open shots, neither will be left open.

Feel free to improve it, come up with your own trade with Chicago. It takes a village. :D

Edit: Vincent, Hayes, Christie have not exactly been prolific 3PT scorers this year. I’d hate to give up on Christie, but DeRozan and Caruso bring the fire we need on defense. DeRozan won’t be left open.

I like Caruso, hopefully they can include another physical center like Drummond too. Not sure with the aging non 3pt shooting DeRozan. I had a bad dream that they actually gutted their depth for Lavine and the Lakers got really worse. :banghead:

D'Lo has been passing much better with career low turnovers but his shooting has been very frustrating esp when the team needed it most. I just can't trust this guy come playoff time.
I'm thinking of other lower cost players like Terry Rozier who seemed to be a good 3pt shooter, then again he also had a bad % in the playoffs :roll:
A Tyus Jones, maybe?
stan francisco
Lead Assistant

Post#68 » by stan francisco » Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:26 pm

tamaraw08 wrote:
stan francisco wrote:

I like Caruso, hopefully they can include another physical center like Drummond too. Not sure with the aging non 3pt shooting DeRozan. I had a bad dream that they actually gutted their depth for Lavine and the Lakers got really worse. :banghead:

D'Lo has been passing much better with career low turnovers but his shooting has been very frustrating esp when the team needed it most. I just can't trust this guy come playoff time.
I'm thinking of other lower cost players like Terry Rozier who seemed to be a good 3pt shooter, then again he also had a bad % in the playoffs :roll:
A Tyus Jones, maybe?

Maybe DeRozan is too washed up. If so, let’s not target him. He’d score buckets off of cuts leading to easy midrange jumpers and layups. That’s his ideal offense. This opens up the perimeter for open threes and leads to easy put backs for a single covered AD.

I’m all for Tyus Jones. Don’t know enough about Rozier to have an opinion. We need to tighten up our perimeter defense or we’ll get hammered by the Celtics on the 25th, and in the playoffs.
Showtime:Part2
General Manager
And1: 495

Post#69 » by Showtime:Part2 » Tue Dec 19, 2023 4:35 am

Fellas, the permiter d is not bad bc of the personnel. We have vando reddish and Christie, all good defenders. Even reaves is a good team defender albeit poor man defender. Last year Schroeder was elite. For the umpteenth time it’s bc we play drop coverage and Darvin ham is a complete moron. You swap out ham for a homeless guy and we are probably 5 lower in the loss column this year.
Warspite:

Prince + filler for Kobe Bryant

To be honest the way Prince has played and with Kobes injury/age/mileage Im not sure I would do that deal either. Still Prince is more important and he wins the head to head battles with Kobe.
stan francisco
Lead Assistant

Post#70 » by stan francisco » Tue Dec 19, 2023 5:11 am

Showtime:Part2 wrote:Fellas, the permiter d is not bad bc of the personnel. We have vando reddish and Christie, all good defenders. Even reaves is a good team defender albeit poor man defender. Last year Schroeder was elite. For the umpteenth time it’s bc we play drop coverage and Darvin ham is a complete moron. You swap out ham for a homeless guy and we are probably 5 lower in the loss column this year.

Sure. Vando often ignores Ham’s drop coverage orders, though. That’s one thing I really like about him. If Ham can’t coach defense, why not get more perimeter players who have a defensive brain of their own? Pig headed two-way fighters who hate to lose. More of that is one thing we need, less prima D Lo who blows almost every defensive assignment he ends up with, every possession. No lateral quickness, no effort, no contact. He gets too much PT because of his good offense, consequently our perimeter leaks. 5 on 4, every defensive possession. That to me, needs a change via trade yesterday or AD surely soon gets injured due to having to help all the time. Russell’s defense is our biggest weakness, imho. Than Ham. No D Lo hate, he’s just not able and/or willing to defend at championship level. Can’t start him in the playoffs. That’s $17M on the bench.

I’m happy to replace Ham. He’s oblivious to adjusting strategy during games. Stotts? Who are you thinking?

Ham’s offensive schemes are also way too simple to figure out. I just can’t stand losing to the Celtics. It sucks to know six days ahead that their coach will outsmart ours in the second half on Xmas day.
zuju
Senior
And1: 126

Post#71 » by zuju » Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:49 am

Seems the team is playing a bit slack after winning the in-season tournament or its a match up problem? IDK

One thing I am certain is the coaching capability. Adding an assistant coach like maybe Rondo can help a lot. To set up the team offense and make counter moves.

Player wise

Tier 1 (Untouchable): LBJ, AD
Tier 2: (Very high return to trade): AR, RUI, Vando, JHS, Max Lewis
Tier 3: (immediate help / needle mover): Max Christie, Gabe Vincent, Cam Reddish, Prince
Tier 4: (OK to trade for needs /as fillers): Dlo, Hayes, Woods

Tier 1 is Tier 1. Tier 2 means the return should be an All-star or a player with high potential.
Tier 3 means the player in return can provide some immediate help to the team to compete for Champ

I trust JHS and Lewis to be something really good going forward.
Tier 2 players are seen as the future core of the team. I have considered Christie to that tier. He can be a really good 3&D guard, not much more unless he can finally develop his passing game or his lay up.
Tier 3 players are useful to the team regardless of whether they are traded. So if a player in return fit the team better or provide some value the team really needs, I would have no problem to trade them. Not trading them to make trades
Tier 4 players are rather one-dimensional or inadequate in some facet of the game. No problem to make some higher risk trades

IF you are trading tier 2 players for a very good player/all star, tier 3 & 4 can be added of course.
tamaraw08
Analyst

Post#72 » by tamaraw08 » Tue Dec 19, 2023 3:46 pm

stan francisco wrote:
tamaraw08 wrote:
stan francisco wrote:

A Tyus Jones, maybe?

Maybe DeRozan is too washed up. If so, let’s not target him. He’d score buckets off of cuts leading to easy midrange jumpers and layups. That’s his ideal offense. This opens up the perimeter for open threes and leads to easy put backs for a single covered AD.

I’m all for Tyus Jones. Don’t know enough about Rozier to have an opinion. We need to tighten up our perimeter defense or we’ll get hammered by the Celtics on the 25th, and in the playoffs.

I never said he's washed up but his current TS% is his 2nd lowest in the last 8 years and his age at 34 is a bit of a concern for me moving forward this season. Maybe it's ok esp if they are not giving up any picks to get him because I trust him more than D'Lo esp come playoff time.
It's becoming clear to me that Ham just doesn't know how to maximize Rui esp playing with Lebron and AD. They will be going through a very tough stretch going to the surging Bulls, TWolves, OKC and Boston, hopefully Rob will not be that desperate to give up more than he has to just to improve this team. I keep hoping and praying D'Lo would prove me wrong, that he'll rise up and shoot great like he does against bad teams.
stan francisco
Lead Assistant

Post#73 » by stan francisco » Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:38 pm

Would Washington do a trade? Probably not for the pieces we’d consider of interest, not without a third team anyway.

My trade chips are: a combo of any number of D Lo, Hayes, Reddish, Wood, and if there is a rebuild in Washington, Christie.

Targets: Tyus Jones, Corey Kispert, Daniel Gafford

Not sure what would be a fair trade.
tamaraw08
Analyst

Post#74 » by tamaraw08 » Wed Dec 20, 2023 3:50 pm

stan francisco wrote:Would Washington do a trade? Probably not for the pieces we’d consider of interest, not without a third team anyway.

My trade chips are: a combo of any number of D Lo, Hayes, Reddish, Wood, and if there is a rebuild in Washington, Christie.

Targets: Tyus Jones, Corey Kispert, Daniel Gafford

Not sure what would be a fair trade.

Wizards have been the Lakers favorite trade partners the last few years. When Rob desperately needed to unload contracts, They actually helped him out by absorbing Wagner, Bongga and Bryant. I also looked into Kisperts stats which is pretty decent too and Gafford has been a good center imo. I think those 3 guys would help esp in the regular season but I have a feeling that Rob and Lebron would go for a more reliable scorer like Donovan Mitchell. The guy has been a solid scorer but just an ok 3pt shooter, never shot below 35% except for his rookie season.
loveshaq007
Sophomore
And1: 25

Post#75 » by loveshaq007 » Wed Dec 20, 2023 4:57 pm

Donovan Mitchell should be out prime target. He is an exceptional scorer that needs a chance to win. For his price, he might be the best scorer in the NBA.

if we can get away with Dlo, Vincent, a pick, and one of our fillers... I'm down
scoobs07
Starter
And1: 82

Post#76 » by scoobs07 » Wed Dec 20, 2023 5:20 pm

loveshaq007 wrote:Donovan Mitchell should be out prime target. He is an exceptional scorer that needs a chance to win. For his price, he might be the best scorer in the NBA.

if we can get away with Dlo, Vincent, a pick, and one of our fillers... I'm down
Lakers need to put Reaves back in the starting unit, and put a guard next to him that fits the following criteria: (1) A good ball handler, but not ball dominant - maybe a 25% usage rate at the most (2) Good three-point shooter - 35% + high volume 2-3 three-pointers made per game (3) Ability to defend the opposing teams' point guard - Does not need to be a defensive dynamo, just quick enough to be decent. Sadly, Lonzo Ball would fit that criteria very well. Dlo mostly fits this, except his defense is a little sub par, and he would likely leave as a free agent next season, so Lakers kind of need to trade him. If the Lakers are unable to get this type of player and/or decide to let Reaves stay on the bench, then they may as well trade Reaves and try to obtain a player of Mitchell's caliber.
tamaraw08
Analyst

Post#77 » by tamaraw08 » Wed Dec 20, 2023 5:22 pm

loveshaq007 wrote:Donovan Mitchell should be out prime target. He is an exceptional scorer that needs a chance to win. For his price, he might be the best scorer in the NBA.

Cleveland would be asking for the moon like 3 FRP's ....unless Donovan does a Harden.
stan francisco
Lead Assistant

Post#78 » by stan francisco » Wed Dec 20, 2023 5:31 pm

If we go after Mitchell, NYK have about five million picks. Three team deal?
scoobs07
Starter
And1: 82

Post#79 » by scoobs07 » Wed Dec 20, 2023 5:40 pm

scoobs07 wrote:

Lakers need to put Reaves back in the starting unit, and put a guard next to him that fits the following criteria: (1) A good ball handler, but not ball dominant - maybe a 25% usage rate at the most (2) Good three-point shooter - 35% + high volume 2-3 three-pointers made per game (3) Ability to defend the opposing teams' point guard - Does not need to be a defensive dynamo, just quick enough to be decent. Sadly, Lonzo Ball would fit that criteria very well. Dlo mostly fits this, except his defense is a little sub par, and he would likely leave as a free agent next season, so Lakers kind of need to trade him. If the Lakers are unable to get this type of player and/or decide to let Reaves stay on the bench, then they may as well trade Reaves and try to obtain a player of Mitchell's caliber.

Coby White, Immanual Quickley, Malcom Brogdon
tamaraw08
Analyst

Post#80 » by tamaraw08 » Wed Dec 20, 2023 7:18 pm

stan francisco wrote:If we go after Mitchell, NYK have about five million picks. Three team deal?

I'm not sure why you want to involved the Knicks, do they like any player from the Lakers?
Anyway, I mentioned the name of Mitchell because I assumed that his team would unravel after losing 2 of their key starters for the next 4-8 weeks but so far they are hanging in there at 6th spot with 2 straight wins and they have a fair chance of beating teams like the Bulls, Pelicans and Bulls before facing tough teams. Then they face tankers like the Wizards twice, Spurs etc.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers