Phil-harmonics

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

snaquille oatmeal
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,770

Phil-harmonics 

Post#1 » by snaquille oatmeal » Wed Jan 2, 2008 10:22 pm

first and for most- I want to tell all you guys that I am back home in Souther California from a year in Iraq. it is great to be back and hopefully I will be posting on a regular basis again. also happy New Year to all.

now, on to bussiness- the Boston game was the first game I had been able to watch since last January. what a downer!

I really thought Phil was going to coach this game and use his genius to beat the Celtics. maybe I am old fashioned, but I would have thought that starting Kwame on KG, Kobe on Allen and a combo of Lamar/Iriza on Pierce would have neutralized the big 3 and cancell eachother out and use the Laker youth to beat the Celtics.

that is not what I saw at all. I saw the team that the critics expected the Lakers to be at the beginning of the season fold against a team that had just played 4 games in 5 days.

I don't know if Phil used this opportunity to humble the expectations on young Bynum or to humble the team in general to get them to work harder or if he got caught in the hype and thought we could match up with a "tired" Celtic team or our luck just ran out (beating the Spurs without Parker ect.).

the Zen master has always had strange coaching tactics, but I am leaning towards the theory that he got caught in the hype. what do you guys think?
Forum permissions
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot trade for basketball reasons in this forum
You cannot but I can...five rings!
Sofa King
RealGM
And1: 3,034

Post#2 » by Sofa King » Wed Jan 2, 2008 10:31 pm

Was it more of a downer because you saw the Lakers hot pants or the lose?

Counting on Kwame is never the most reliable option especially after sitting out for so long.

Welcome home buddy. :beer:

:clap: :clap: :clap:
LAL4Life
Senior
And1: 3

Post#3 » by LAL4Life » Wed Jan 2, 2008 10:49 pm

Awesome that you're back home snaq, great to hear you made it back safely.

As for the loss, we just got spanked by a superior team. Plain and simple. Pierce completely outplayed Kobe, and obviously the rest of the Celtics >>>>>>>> the rest of the Lakers. Don't sweat it though, they've been playing much better than what they showed against Boston.
djericho
Rookie
And1: 12

Post#4 » by djericho » Wed Jan 2, 2008 10:53 pm

welcome home snaq

Regarding the Boston game... eh, it's against 3 perennial all-stars, all hungry to win a championship. Maybe Phil did get caught up in the hype, he did just tie Red for 7th on wins right? would have been an awsome thing to surpass Red AND beat the lakers, we'd all be salivating for Phil to pass Red on championship rings wouldn't we?
kno
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 24

Post#5 » by kno » Wed Jan 2, 2008 10:55 pm

Nice to have you back safely Snaq. You bring life to this board.

But yeah, the game was a disappointment at pretty much all aspects of the game. Sucks it had to be your first one after being back, since the team had played great basketball for the 11 or so games before the Celtics beating. They couldve easily won like 11 straight (lost the Glden Sate game with a late Odom TO that couldve tied/won it, and lost the game @ CLeveland after the refs screwed over FIsh with a "loose ball" foul he had posession of).

I dunno if ity was entirely Phil that game, but the whole team didnt have any energy of all, regardless of who was on the court. No one showed any emotion (besides Odom's daily mental lapse at the end), which mad it seem as if they thought the game was going to come easy to them (as you said Snaq, catch them tired and whatnot). That was the polar opposite of what happened though, and it hurt them in the win/loss column.

Anyway, I feel like they'll get back on track quickly. They will definitely show Philly what theyre capable of. I wont let this one loss get to me, especially after they played like 11 very god games before it.
SashAlex
Lead Assistant
And1: 345

Post#6 » by SashAlex » Wed Jan 2, 2008 11:11 pm

:usa: :wave:
islander009
Junior
And1: 21

Post#7 » by islander009 » Wed Jan 2, 2008 11:13 pm

Welcome back home Snaq.

As far as the game goes, sad but true Boston just outplayed us. They have three title hungry all stars that are driving to get that desired ring. Garnett is heart he is the one pushing and pushing. Pierce did outplay Kobe in that game. But the upside is that we are a young team that is learning to play much MUCH better than we did last year. As far as PJ, well he does what he does and his tactics are well confusing for some. But most of the time I consider it personal challenges he forces his young team to undertake. Despite the loss I am enjoying watching them play Laker basketball, its fun to watch.

welcome back!
tkb
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 198

Post#8 » by tkb » Wed Jan 2, 2008 11:15 pm

Welcome back Snaq. Too bad you didn't get the Utah game as your first one back, which was a great game.
blix
Analyst
And1: 0

Re: Phil-harmonics 

Post#9 » by blix » Wed Jan 2, 2008 11:22 pm

snaquille oatmeal wrote:first and for most- I want to tell all you guys that I am back home in Souther California from a year in Iraq. it is great to be back and hopefully I will be posting on a regular basis again. also happy New Year to all.

now, on to bussiness- the Boston game was the first game I had been able to watch since last January. what a downer!

I really thought Phil was going to coach this game and use his genius to beat the Celtics. maybe I am old fashioned, but I would have thought that starting Kwame on KG, Kobe on Allen and a combo of Lamar/Iriza on Pierce would have neutralized the big 3 and cancell eachother out and use the Laker youth to beat the Celtics.

that is not what I saw at all. I saw the team that the critics expected the Lakers to be at the beginning of the season fold against a team that had just played 4 games in 5 days.

I don't know if Phil used this opportunity to humble the expectations on young Bynum or to humble the team in general to get them to work harder or if he got caught in the hype and thought we could match up with a "tired" Celtic team or our luck just ran out (beating the Spurs without Parker ect.).

the Zen master has always had strange coaching tactics, but I am leaning towards the theory that he got caught in the hype. what do you guys think?

Welcome home man.
ak777
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#10 » by ak777 » Wed Jan 2, 2008 11:25 pm

Welcome back and its good to see you returned back in one piece.....
RJM
General Manager
And1: 2,266

Post#11 » by RJM » Wed Jan 2, 2008 11:29 pm

Welcome back brother!
milesfides
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,449

Post#12 » by milesfides » Wed Jan 2, 2008 11:53 pm

Whatsup snaq, didn't miss a beat, did you?

I agree with all of your points, in fact, I thought that was a key to winning this game, Kwame on KG, since history suggests Kwame is the best defender on KG. Spelling Kwame with an energetic Turiaf might be a great 1-2 punch to make KG work.

The Kobe-Allen matchup worked out the way one would anticipate, with the exception that Kobe missed a ton of shots. He tried to drive, he got to the line, but generally the Celtics did a good job of limiting penetration. We needed Kobe to be hot that night, it was a must to winning, but Kobe instead had one of the worst shooting nights he's had in recent memory.

Another thing that bothered me was how Phil brought in Java. It was the worst possible game to find out if Java could contribute. There was no chemistry, it was obvious, nobody reacted to what Java was doing, and Java was trying to do too much. Fisher was having some trouble keeping up with Tony Allen (when Fisher starts flopping a lot you know he's in trouble), but we needed Fisher's perimeter shooting on a night when Kobe and Odom were colder than brass monkeys.

I was also disappointed at how Pierce was left open. The Lakers should have recognized that Pierce was the first option. Considering that Ray Allen was in foul trouble and that KG was never a really high-volume scorer, our priorities should have been limiting Pierce - but he was left open too many times. Now this could have been Ariza's own fault for gambling on Pierce, or the other Lakers' for not recognizing where Pierce was on the floor at all times, but the negligence seems to suggest that Phil didn't have them adequately prepared. On the other hand, Boston always knew where Kobe was on the floor at all times, had a body on him at all times, and would collapse on him on the drive. They were well-prepared, and that's a sign of a well-coached team.

Of course, Phil's refusal to call timeouts in crucial points allowed a manageable single-digit lead to become a 20 point lead, all with Kobe on the bench. Phil espouses the character-building strategy of 'let them figure it out on their own.' They didn't figure it out on their own, they probably needed coaching.

This wasn't one of Phil's best coaching games, no, but our players didn't exactly shine either.

I just wish the Lakers didn't change shorts at halftime, it showed mental weakness (blaming it on the shorts). They actually played worse with the long shorts. I don't want to make it a big deal, but everything that happened against the Celtics shows that we're a young team. We might have a lot of talent, but we need a lot of growing up to do.
“OH! Caruso parachutes in! You cannot stop him - you can only hope to contain him!” -Kevin Harlan, LAL-GSW 4/4/19
zen_4_10
Lead Assistant
And1: 14

Post#13 » by zen_4_10 » Thu Jan 3, 2008 12:29 am

Snaq is back! Pink taco's for everyone!
djericho
Rookie
And1: 12

Post#14 » by djericho » Thu Jan 3, 2008 12:49 am

zen_4_10 wrote:Snaq is back! Pink taco's for everyone!

isn't that only for when the lakers hold the opponent under 100? lol....
Leonidas
Starter
And1: 2

Post#15 » by Leonidas » Thu Jan 3, 2008 2:57 am

Glad your back in Cali Snaq safe and sound..

I agree with your comments..

Propz to Kno for the sig..
MAMBAEMD
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,622

Post#16 » by MAMBAEMD » Thu Jan 3, 2008 3:27 am

Welcome back.

Don't let the Boston game get you down too much, my friend.
That was not one of Phil's better coached games, but he has done a great job with one of the youngest teams in the league, which is not his ideal situation, coaching-wise.

The Lakers are playing inspired ball. This is a different team than last year where no one showed much passion other than Kobe.
This year, there is much more passion and inspired play from the majority of the team and Kobe is playing some of the best ball of his career, IMO. He has been a true leader on and off the floor after a very rocky offseason.

This team is for real and Phil has done a great job with them.
LAfaninPHX
Sixth Man
And1: 2

Post#17 » by LAfaninPHX » Thu Jan 3, 2008 5:03 am

I know, I know, the man has won nine rings. I probably do not understand his coaching theories, and the zen reasons he does things. I think Phil is a good players coach, but his in-game decision making is baffling at times.

The Celtics game saw one of those moments. (now, I did not rewtach the game, but this is what I remember). The Lakers cut the lead down to 6 after making a couple shots, and then Kobe got that tough charging call giving him 4 fouls. Soon after, Kobe goes to the bench and Phil puts outs a line-up including Farmar, Ariza, Walton, Critt, and I think Kwame. There was like 2+ minutes in the 4th quarter.

My first thought was oh crap, where is our scoring going to come from. The Lakers come down, pass the ball around the perimeter for about 16 seconds, and then Walton tries to drive and is stripped by Pierce.

Then, for some odd reason, Walton (coming off 2 games out for his ankle) is assigned Pierce (the only of the big 3 left on the floor for the final minutes of the quarter). Ariza is on the floor, but is guarding Posey. Pierce comes down and easily takes Walton, and scores.

Lakers come down, look out of sync, and turn the ball over or force a shoot a long 3. Pierce comes down and hits a 3 I think. Down double digits.

No timeout, and Lakers come down and Walton tries to force and turns it over. Pierce comes down, shakes Walton, and hits a ffree-throw line leaner.

During this 2 minute stretch, no timeouts to address multiple turnovers, no reassigning Ariza to cover Pierce, no nothing. We had just made a run, and Kobe just went to the bench. This is when you coach IMO. Instead we end the period with a 14 or 16 point deficit, and the game was never close again.

I know Phil has his own style, but watching it unfold (the who is going to score, and why is Walton covering Pierce) was too much for me. It was predictable if you watch every Laker game. Yet Phil did it anyway.

Not saying we would have won regardless, but little coaching errors like this drive me crazy.
"Only God can stop Kobe Bryant." --Charles Barkley
snaquille oatmeal
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,770

Post#18 » by snaquille oatmeal » Thu Jan 3, 2008 5:04 am

djericho wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

isn't that only for when the lakers hold the opponent under 100? lol....

^^^^ those are yellow corn tacos, Ill bring the pink tacos.
Forum permissions