Rumor: Webber La-Bound?

Moderators: Danny Darko, Kilroy, TyCobb

islander009
Junior
And1: 21

Rumor: Webber La-Bound? 

Post#1 » by islander009 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:08 am

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=6937

Dont know if this is out there already but I thought I'd share. Its not our all star that we wanted in the first place but it sure does help us out a lot. With him in the line up we wont be that far behind without Bynum. But when Bynum returns we will have an awesome lineup plus a good deep bench. What are your thoughts? I honestly would approve of this move simply that we have been looking for some veteran help, lacks the defensive intensity we need but he is much better than Mihm and Brown. So i just hope that this goes thru.

edited...sorry for the wrong info in the first place, this is a rumor on Hoopsworld.
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 22,100

Post#2 » by dockingsched » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:14 am

misleading thread title. "webber la-bound" is not the same as the article's title, "webber la-bound?"
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
Sofa King
RealGM
And1: 3,034

Post#3 » by Sofa King » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:28 am

I hope he goes to the Clippers.
That Nicka
Banned User
And1: 34

Post#4 » by That Nicka » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:32 am

Sofa King wrote:I hope he goes to the Clippers.

+1
islander009
Junior
And1: 21

Post#5 » by islander009 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:37 am

Sorry guys just to correct myself yes this is a rumor, mybad.
tayzer
Junior
And1: 1

Post#6 » by tayzer » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:40 am

We need all the help we can get. Webber is a major upgrade from Kwame.
Tommy Trojan
Assistant Coach
And1: 36

Post#7 » by Tommy Trojan » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:44 am

Sofa King wrote:I hope he goes to the Clippers.

LOL why the Clippers?
8'sReverse
Veteran
And1: 3
Location: Southern California~ Watching the only LA NBA team, the Lakers!

Post#8 » by 8'sReverse » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:47 am

I'd like to see it happen. There aren't many options out there at this point in the season without making a trade (which i don't believe will happen) and a 10-day contract scrub won't do the trick.

IBTL BTW
Charles Barkley wrote:"I've got TWO words for you... 'Chris Paul and Steve Nash, must see TV'!"
djericho
Rookie
And1: 12

Post#9 » by djericho » Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:43 am

In the history of "has been" signings

Glenn Rice > Chris Webber > Mitch Richmond

If he is signed it's a band-aid signing. I understand the knock on Kwame but really, Webber? He hasn't played for months, he's old, can't elevate and is undersized to play the position we really are hurting @ and that's @ center.

If the wiretap is true, I'd rather try to get tyrus thomas over webber
slifersd
Analyst
And1: 210

Post#10 » by slifersd » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:02 am

djericho wrote:In the history of "has been" signings

Glenn Rice > Chris Webber > Mitch Richmond

If he is signed it's a band-aid signing. I understand the knock on Kwame but really, Webber? He hasn't played for months, he's old, can't elevate and is undersized to play the position we really are hurting @ and that's @ center.

If the wiretap is true, I'd rather try to get tyrus thomas over webber

Maybe Webber cant elevate and is undersized, but he still managed to pull down 11 points and 7 rebounds and 3 assists last season. I'd like to see Kwame Brown do something like that. Hell, his numbers are only two points and two rebounds off of Odom's season average. And here is the biggest kick, Webber averaged more assists than Odom. I know CWebb is old and is not an all star any more, but to say he is worse than Kwame Brown is just insulting.

PS: how are you propose we get Tyrus Thomas? We have next to no tradable assets and the Bulls will look for a big name player in return, which we don't have enough ourselves.
J Rob
Sixth Man
And1: 1

Post#11 » by J Rob » Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:07 pm

Glenn Rice was a trade not a signing and he wasn't exactly a has been when it went down.

Dude averaged like 17 a game that year.
Lakers8
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#12 » by Lakers8 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:13 pm

I dont know why people arent positive about signing Webber. The guy is the perfect fit for the triangle offense, an incredibly crafty, gifted passing bigman. Yes he doesnt have the quicks and elevation he used to, but he is a veteran that has great leadership and chemistry with teamates.
Plus he probably watched so much lakers tape in those sacto lakers series that he could probably come in and run the triangle!

The point is he gonna help us keep afloat till Drew comes back, and when he does our bench becomes even stronger, with our bench bigs Kwame as a defensive centre and webber as our offensive pf.

Fish/Farmar
Kobe/Sasha
Walton/Ariza/Vlad
Lamar/Webber/Vlad
Bynum/Kwame

That team right there could contend!
ock
Pro Prospect
And1: 13

Post#13 » by ock » Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:29 pm

mixed feelings about this.

on one hand, i remember those sac series when i saw his big, sad, cry-baby eyes, and i wanted to punch his face so he'd cry some more.

one the other hand, i always thought he was a perfect triangle big man. (i thought we were gonna make a big push for him back when we traded shaq). but i agree with people that he's old, slow, probably a defensive liability now.

conclusion: i still don't know how i feel about him. i'm generally against it, but i've been wrong before. maybe he'll make a huge positive splash like ariza.

"I have no problem following somebody who's worth being followed. I will follow Kobe anywhere." - Ron Artest
One Love
Starter
And1: 290

Post#14 » by One Love » Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:09 pm

We have only THREE bigs right now... How can anybody not see this signing as a blessing... We NEED halp and he is the best option in th emarket right now... The gane plan is to try to go .500 over the next 26 games (Bynum should be back) and tighten up for a playoff run...

He averaged more points, rebounds and dimes per minute than LO did last year... He has some left in the tank...
Tommy Trojan
Assistant Coach

Post#15 » by Tommy Trojan » Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:18 pm

What's so bad about signing him that I don't understand? We pick him up next to nothing, and just give him a one year deal. When Drew get's back he will be our starter and have Chris and Kwame fight for the minunts. At the center position.
Tommy Trojan
Assistant Coach

Post#16 » by Tommy Trojan » Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:27 pm

Jackson acknowledged the need to look into signing a free agent such as Chris Webber. "We have to consider possibilities to strengthen our roster," he said. "We need some depth."

from the LA Times

http://www.latimes.com/sports/printedit ... &cset=true
8'sReverse
Veteran
And1: 3
Location: Southern California~ Watching the only LA NBA team, the Lakers!

Post#17 » by 8'sReverse » Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:42 pm

Should we expect something to happen within the next few days?
Charles Barkley wrote:"I've got TWO words for you... 'Chris Paul and Steve Nash, must see TV'!"
Mindflayer
Rookie
And1: 12

Post#18 » by Mindflayer » Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:44 pm

We need to sign Webber. He's better now than Kwame ever will be. A lot of people din't like Karl Malone, but he played good for us until the injury in the playoffs.
Dexmor
Head Coach
And1: 39

Post#19 » by Dexmor » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:15 pm

There is a full check list of things we need that Webber will provide.

1. We need a quality Big man to make up for Bynum for the next 6 weeks. Webber Check.
2. We need a realiable backup because lets face it when Kwame plays we lose and Mihm is always hurt. Webber Check
3. We need a pf because well we just don't have one. Odom is a tweener and Ronny is a nice hustle player but he can't play fulltime and isn't very talented. Webber Check
4. Depth and playoff expirence. On our team we only have 2 guys who have been successful in the playoffs beyond the first round and then Odom who does elevate his play in the playoffs but we need more then just a few guys to beat the playoff Spurs. Webber Check
5. Expierence overall- We have the second youngest team in the league wih Fisher being our oldest player and the 29 year old Kobe the second oldest. Webber balances that out more so Webber Check.
6. A talented player who can score double digits as a starter or off the bench who is big, we have Ariza and we have Farmar but with Bynum as starter which he should be the bench bigs can't score so Webber check.
7. A player that understands the passing game and therefor the triangle would be learned easy and Webber is arguably the best passing big man in the game. Webber Check.
8. A big man who can help teach Bynum in games besides Kareem. Webber Check.
9. A guy we can throw it into in the post but also when Odom goes down and Bynun comes back a guy who can play next to him and play outside. Webber Check.

Chris Webber is not an allstar anymore or even close or would even be on the ballot but like I said before for us and in our situation a player like him can make or brake us.
Dexmor
Head Coach
And1: 39

Post#20 » by Dexmor » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:16 pm

I don't think you should include Kwame because he should be getting traded soon enough. I can't imagine they keep him even if they don't get CWebb by feb 21.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers