Community Thread VIII

Moderators: Kilroy, TyCobb, Danny Darko

DoctaJ
Sixth Man
And1: 401

Re: Community Thread VIII 

Post#81 » by DoctaJ » Fri Aug 1, 2008 8:17 pm

Well I got an email from an event manager from that company. This is the email:

Subject: Congratulations !! ! AUDITION URGENTLY !! !

Congratulations !! !

My name is John Thomas ( Event Manager ) from GOLD MIND ENTERTAINMENT here in the UNITED KINGDOM.

We came across your advert online ( http://www.unsigned.com ) and you have been invited to perform at a Concert of over 25,000 people here in the UNITED KINGDOM.

This concert as been organized to help upcoming musical artist get known and signed be top record labels out there.

We also have invited famous artist performing at the concert.

You can check our website like below, although its still undergoing some Web Developement.

But before the concert, you will have to come for an Auditioning here in the UK ( August 16th 2008 ) .

Dont worry , Your Hotel Reservation , Feeding , Car & Personal Driver and every other thing would be taken cared off by GOLD MIND ENTERTAINMENT.

So if you are interested in being FAMOUS, Please quickly send us an email with the following details :

YOUR FULL NAME .........

AGE .........

ARE YOU A SINGER OR A DANCER ..................

ARE YOU A DJ'S .........

DO YOU PLAY ANY MUSICAL INSTRUMENT ( IF YES ) WHICH INSTRUMENT ..................

OCCUPATION ..............

WHAT COUNTRY ARE YOU LOCATED PRESENTLY ...............

Here is our email address : goldmindentertainments1@yahoo.com

Please send your emails only to: goldmindentertainments1@yahoo.com

We await your soonest reply.

John Thomas.
Event Manager,
GOLD MIND ENTERTAINMENT
http://goldmindentertainment.zoneout.info

Don't know what to think of it, lol.
kno
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 24

Post#82 » by kno » Fri Aug 1, 2008 8:19 pm

The site looks pretty amateur-ish, but to be honest, you cant gudge a company by their website (like blix said).

Here's an example...

Which one of these sites would you trust the most?

http://www.a1skateboards.com/
http://www.blankdecks.com/
http://www.blackholeboards.com/

Interestingly enough, blankdecks.com is the better of the three. Cheaper prices, amazing assortment of decks, quality goods, great customer service, everything.

But you wouldnt be able to tell by their site. If I didnt know about them, looking solely at their site, I woudl avoid at all costs.
kno
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#83 » by kno » Fri Aug 1, 2008 8:22 pm

DoctaJ wrote:Well I got an email from an event manager from that company. This is the email:

Congratulations !! !

My name is John Thomas ( Event Manager ) from GOLD MIND ENTERTAINMENT here in the UNITED KINGDOM.

We came across your advert online ( http://www.unsigned.com ) and you have been invited to perform at a Concert of over 25,000 people here in the UNITED KINGDOM.

This concert as been organized to help upcoming musical artist get known and signed be top record labels out there.

You can check our website like below, although its still undergoing some Web Developement.

But before the concert, you will have to come for an Auditioning here in the UK ( August 16th 2008 ) .

Dont worry , Your Hotel Reservation , Feeding , Car & Personal Driver and every other thing would be taken cared off by GOLD MIND ENTERTAINMENT.

So if you are interested in being FAMOUS, Please quickly send us an email with the following details :

YOUR FULL NAME .........

AGE .........

ARE YOU A DJ'S .........

DO YOU PLAY ANY MUSICAL INSTRUMENT ( IF YES ) WHICH INSTRUMENT ..................

John Thomas.
Event Manager,
GOLD MIND ENTERTAINMENT

Definitely sounds like a scam to me. You would think that for a company taht hosts concerts with "over 25,000 people" and has "famous artists", they'd have their own e-mails, instead of a yahoo one.

The generic name is also a red flag, as well as the bad grammar. I mean, if you do a yahoo search on "John Thomas Gold Mind Entertainment", you get nothing about this company.

BTW, why would he need your name and all of that? Wouldnt he know some of this stuff if "he" saw your page on unsigned.com?

Id say stay away at all costs, but I wouldnt want to kill your dreams of being the next Diddy.

:lol:
blix
Analyst
And1: 0

Post#84 » by blix » Fri Aug 1, 2008 8:26 pm

Docta J - if there's nothing to lose, sign up and hope for the best. things that sound too good to be true usually are, but no reason not to throw your hat in the ring.

Things to be VERY careful about - anything that you have to sign that could potentially mean you giving up something just to be considered....like song rights, licensing, etc - I doubt that you need to worry about it, but there's some real **** out there.

If you're submitting songs - make sure you have that stuff copywritten just for a worst case scenario....and be very wary of anyone that asks for money to perform, or fees just to enter or anything like that. Not saying don't, just saying do your homework so you know exactly what's going on.
DoctaJ
Sixth Man

Post#85 » by DoctaJ » Fri Aug 1, 2008 8:27 pm

Haha, yeah those were the kinds of things that were making it sound iffy, Kno.

I'm thinking of just sending an email back, seeing if I even get a response or not.
blix
Analyst

Post#86 » by blix » Fri Aug 1, 2008 8:28 pm

Kno wrote:
DoctaJ wrote:Well I got an email from an event manager from that company. This is the email:

Congratulations !! !

YOUR FULL NAME .........

AGE .........

ARE YOU A DJ'S .........

John Thomas.
Event Manager,
GOLD MIND ENTERTAINMENT

Definitely sounds like a scam to me. You would think that for a company taht hosts concerts with "over 25,000 people" and has "famous artists", they'd have their own e-mails, instead of a yahoo one.

The generic name is also a red flag, as well as the bad grammar. I mean, if you do a yahoo search on "John Thomas Gold Mind Entertainment", you get nothing about this company.

BTW, why would he need your name and all of that? Wouldnt he know some of this stuff if "he" saw your page on unsigned.com?

Id say stay away at all costs, but I wouldnt want to kill your dreams of being the next Diddy.

Not necessarily true on the yahoo account, I sell multi thousand dollar deals to companies that are companyname@yahoo.com
kno
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#87 » by kno » Fri Aug 1, 2008 8:32 pm

blix wrote:
Not necessarily true on the yahoo account, I sell multi thousand dollar deals to companies that are companyname@yahoo.com

But do their web sites look good?

blix
Analyst

Post#88 » by blix » Fri Aug 1, 2008 8:33 pm

They don't have one all the time - but the point is that doesn't mean they're automatically a non-legitimate company.
kno
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#89 » by kno » Fri Aug 1, 2008 8:40 pm

blix wrote:They don't have one all the time - but the point is that doesn't mean they're automatically a non-legitimate company.

lol yeah man I know. Im playing around with ya. Look at the post I made about websites above.

One of the best skating sites I know has a "look at me! I was made in MS Paint!" look to it.
Danny Darko
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 5,409

Post#90 » by Danny Darko » Fri Aug 1, 2008 9:15 pm

Doc, something doesn't add up from the lack of site function, the letter you got, and the links on website. Sounds more like they'd like you to pay for them mastering or marketing or something. Paying for a ticket to the uk, hotel room, all that crap doesn't sound likely
LLcoleJ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,366

Post#91 » by LLcoleJ » Fri Aug 1, 2008 10:42 pm

doctaj-- meh, I would be very weary. I build websites as a hobby and question some of that. A simple URL check on the domain name comes up empty. If there is no WHOIS info ot Classified info then something is fishy. Its essentially an invalid domain that my guess is being hosted on some pirate server.
Cheers. :beer: — Mags
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,698

Post#92 » by dockingsched » Sat Aug 2, 2008 12:02 am

quite the company if they can easily incur all those expenses on someone they don't even know the name of instead of simply asking for a video tape.
TommyTheCat
Head Coach
And1: 8

Post#93 » by TommyTheCat » Sat Aug 2, 2008 12:15 am

blix wrote:
I haven't figured out how to tell the wife that I spent 3 grand on a new keyboard though.

hide it in the divorce papers :wink:
Mos Def
Senior
And1: 45

Post#94 » by Mos Def » Sat Aug 2, 2008 12:46 am

Hey Miles, do you watch Conan O'Brien? If you do/don't there's a cool band from the L.A. area performing on his show tonight. They're called Airborne Toxic Event, you should check it out.. pretty good stuff... I think you'd like them. :)
milesfides
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,449

Post#95 » by milesfides » Sat Aug 2, 2008 2:41 am

Thanks man! Good looking out.

I checked out some of their stuff on youtube, I"ll catch them on tonight.
“OH! Caruso parachutes in! You cannot stop him - you can only hope to contain him!” -Kevin Harlan, LAL-GSW 4/4/19
DoctaJ
Sixth Man

Post#96 » by DoctaJ » Sat Aug 2, 2008 2:49 am

Thanks for all the the input guys.

Again, I wasn't thinking much of it just, because it seemed fishy to me, too. I will send them an email, though. Not like I was going to be able to/allowed to go to the UK in my current state anyway, lol.
kno
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#97 » by kno » Sat Aug 2, 2008 3:03 am

I wouldnt even bother. A little search on it showed other people online got this same scam too.
RJM
General Manager
And1: 2,266

Post#98 » by RJM » Sat Aug 2, 2008 4:41 am

Speaking of scams....anyone here ever heard of La Promesa Corporation? Some damned pyramid scheme that almost scammed my dad had I not immediately gotten suspicious and searched them out on the web. Hit google to see what I'm talking about.
DoctaJ
Sixth Man

Post#99 » by DoctaJ » Sat Aug 2, 2008 5:33 am

Alright sounds good Kno. It's tossed. :lol:

Hey Sed, got some weird stuff going on post-surgery. I want to know if it's normal:

After a duration of time when I'm laying or sitting it begins to feel like there is blood dripping from the back of my nose down into my throat. If I sit up straight or tilt forward a little bit blood runs out of my nose like crazy. It's really thin blood, too and just comes pouring out for like 2-3 minutes or so and then stops.

Happened to me at about 4 am this morning and again at 6-7 pm tonight. I'm thinking of going straight to the hospital if it happens again.

Would be great if you could get back to me about this. Thanks.
Verbal
Banned User

Post#100 » by Verbal » Sat Aug 2, 2008 7:59 am

Thanks for the shoutout, DoctaJ.

Your nose thing sounds painful.

I hope you can avoid surgery if you don't need to. (you might want to get at least a 2nd opinion if it's your face)

GL on your recovery, man.

My achilles are decent now.

I'm not worried about pushing/taxing it in the gym anymore.

Hm, I'm hungry again... BBL. :burger:

Return to Los Angeles Lakers