who would you trade bynum for?

Moderators: Kilroy, TyCobb, Danny Darko

dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,747

who would you trade bynum for? 

Post#1 » by dockingsched » Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:07 pm

if there were no salary restrictions, which players in the nba would you trade andrew bynum for straight up?
NOT who you think the lakers can get back in return
NOT who you think other teams would want to trade for bynum
NOT who you think is currently a better player or even worth more
NOT proposing an actual realistic trade
simply who do u think would fit the lakers direction better.

my list:

lebron james
dwight howard
dwyane wade
greg oden
chris paul

players i considered but ultimately skipped

amare (defense too poor)
yao (constant injury concerns)
a. jefferson (not a true center, can't defend the paint)
t. duncan (not enough prime yrs left)
kg (see duncan)
deron williams (doesn't consistently dominate game like paul)
dirk (dirk + pau = no intimidation)
bosh (see dirk)

not sure if i forgot anyone
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
fareweatherfan
Senior
And1: 1

Re: who would you trade bynum for? 

Post#2 » by fareweatherfan » Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:21 pm

Don't have the time to formulate my list, but I agree with your list, sans Oden.
DEEP3CL
RealGM
And1: 3,207

Post#3 » by DEEP3CL » Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:23 pm

Probably L-Train only because he'll fill the seats. But if I needed to do a deal based on a scenario (winning a title or rebuilding ), I'd have to trade big for big so Oden is ok for me.

LOL the only good pickings are from the top part of your list, the bottom I would need more in return to take those guys.
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

SmartWentCrazy wrote:It's extremely unlikely that they end up in the top 3.They're probably better off trying to win and giving Philly the 8th pick than tanking and giving them the 4th.
kwamicide
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#4 » by kwamicide » Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:53 pm

I figured I would go ahead and address each of your picks....

your list:

lebron james - done deal.

dwight howard - this is a close call for me. dwight has the definite edge in brute strength and athleticism, but i think bynum is more talented offensively and defensively. i would still give the edge to d12 here though simply because he has proven himself over a longer period of time.

dwyane wade - why? we have kobe right now and if we WERE going to run him at point, he is the complete opposite of the PG needed for the triangle.

greg oden - he hasn't proven anything at the nba level yet, so i wouldn't say this is a done deal either yet.

chris paul - obviously a fine player and probably the best point guard in the league, but I would still take deron over him since we run the triangle.

players i considered but ultimately skipped

amare (defense too poor) - agreed. plus his knee injuries/surgeries still scare me

yao (constant injury concerns) - agreed. plus bynum has quite a few more years left in him (knock on wood).

a. jefferson (not a true center, can't defend the paint)- agreed

t. duncan (not enough prime yrs left) -agreed

kg (see duncan)-agreed

deron williams (doesn't consistently dominate game like paul)- see, i disagree here. when you match them player vs player in the broad scope of things, cp3 gets the edge. when you're talking about the lakers and the triangle offense I think you have to give the edge to deron williams. he is built for the triangle. he is bigger than paul, a better on ball defender than paul and a better pure shooter.

dirk (dirk + pau = no intimidation)- agreed. watching that tandem attempt to be aggressive in the post would have me screaming at the tv wayyyy too much haha.

bosh (see dirk)- agreed. although, bosh showed a lot of aggression in the olympics. i loved to see that out of him. he's a very special player with a bright future, but not exactly what the lakers need.

not sure if i forgot anyone[/quote]

In summary, I guess the only players I would really consider are lebron and dwight howard. lebron simply because he is so dominant that a combo of him and kobe simply could not be stopped - shortcoming in the post really wouldn't make a difference here i dont think. Dwight howard simply because he is such a beast inside. Bynum has proven to be a beast on the boards and in the paint both offensively and defensively. We cannot afford to give that up to marginally improve at any of the guard/forward spots.
crazyeights
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,231

Post#5 » by crazyeights » Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:53 pm

Wha??? No Paul Pierce????
Minhee
Lead Assistant
And1: 8

Post#6 » by Minhee » Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:10 pm

Come on guys how can you forget Paul Pierce AKA the best player in the NBA. We are talking Finals MVP and shutting down Kobe Bryant. Celtics fans should lecture us again. If Pierce was on the Redeem Team Spain would have been blown away and Kobe or wade would have deferred to greatness.
Asianiac_24
General Manager
And1: 3,599

Post#7 » by Asianiac_24 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:13 pm

LBJ - no brainer

Dwight - dominant center who's endurable (very rare)

CP3 - best point guard right now

Deron - second best PG

Dwyane Wade - Duo of Kobe & Wade on the perimeter? sick
Flipdog69xxx
Rookie
And1: 2

Post#8 » by Flipdog69xxx » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:22 pm

crazyeights wrote:Wha??? No Paul Pierce????

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

i'm going to make a vlad/Pee-Pee combo sig soon.
LAL4Life
Senior
And1: 3

Post#9 » by LAL4Life » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:28 pm

The only no-brainer is LeBron. CP3 and Dwight are debatable. I think I'd take Paul (he turned David West into an All-Star, imagine what he'd do for Pau and Kobe), but probably not Dwight (relies too much on freak strength and athleticism; Bynum is and will be by far the more polished player)
El Hardee
Sixth Man
And1: 25

Post#10 » by El Hardee » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:37 pm

D. Howard, Chris Paul, Lebron and thats it.
UThinkUrSoGood
Sophomore

Post#11 » by UThinkUrSoGood » Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:27 am

Minhee wrote:Come on guys how can you forget Paul Pierce AKA the best player in the NBA. We are talking Finals MVP and shutting down Kobe Bryant. Celtics fans should lecture us again. If Pierce was on the Redeem Team Spain would have been blown away and Kobe or wade would have deferred to greatness.

Haha, last time PP was on an international squad..... well yea you know the rest =)
Mindflayer
Rookie
And1: 12

Post#12 » by Mindflayer » Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:32 am

Howard, Paul, and Lebron.
MaryvalesFinest wrote:
"J-Rich is a better dunker than Kobe and can put up the same stats if he was "the man" of the Lakers, advantage = J-Rich"
screwedupmaniac
Sophomore

Post#13 » by screwedupmaniac » Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:20 am

lol this is a funny thread, considering none of the teams who any of these players currently play for would trade any of these players for bynum...except maybe the spurs if they decided to rebuild. gotta love summer topics though, right? :D
LLcoleJ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,366

Post#14 » by LLcoleJ » Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:50 am

screwedupmaniac wrote:lol this is a funny thread, considering none of the teams who any of these players currently play for would trade any of these players for bynum...except maybe the spurs if they decided to rebuild. gotta love summer topics though, right? :D

Well, this is not a " lets trade Bynum thread" so your point is moot. We are merely discussing Bynums value to the lakers ( and relative to the current roster) and there are not many players in the league we would trade him for.

That speaks to many of us watching the kid grow and seeing his potential. Its exciting for us.

... Maine? So I will guess you are a Celtics fan. Funny, we had one in here a couple weeks ago who said he and the Celtics wouldnt trade Rondo for Bynum. So, yes, gotta love summer topics.
Cheers. :beer: — Mags
DubaLakers
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#15 » by DubaLakers » Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:08 am

dcash4, c'mon this sounds like a 14 year old new member 1st post thread. We expect better work from you.

If we turned back your posts like an odometer to #1 this would be the post it would be, lol. Except the player would be different in like Kobe's second year.
crazyeights
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,231

Post#16 » by crazyeights » Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:09 am

IMHO, I wouldn't trade Bynum for Howard. Call me a stickler for true centers, but Howard (though limited to a range that would make Shaq's touch look silky smooth) is a pair of glorified biceps/rebounder. Let him tear down baskets in Orlando. I want to see real skill develop here in LA.

Yes at this moment Howard is more stat-worthy...but I believe his ceiling doesn't have much room to grow. There's only so much you can do with brute strength in the game of basketball.
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#17 » by dockingsched » Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:33 am

DubaLakers wrote:dcash4, c'mon this sounds like a 14 year old new member 1st post thread. We expect better work from you.

If we turned back your posts like an odometer to #1 this would be the post it would be, lol. Except the player would be different in like Kobe's second year.

this isn't something to get too serious about. phil 2.0 summarized it well, its basically asking how you value bynum compared to players around the league in relation to their fit on this team and their potential in the future. this isn't asking for trade ideas, something at least one fan from maine doesn't seem to be able to grasp.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#18 » by dockingsched » Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:40 am

crazyeights wrote:IMHO, I wouldn't trade Bynum for Howard. Call me a stickler for true centers, but Howard (though limited to a range that would make Shaq's touch look silky smooth) is a pair of glorified biceps/rebounder. Let him tear down baskets in Orlando. I want to see real skill develop here in LA.

Yes at this moment Howard is more stat-worthy...but I believe his ceiling doesn't have much room to grow. There's only so much you can do with brute strength in the game of basketball.

i've thought about this too. for now though, i think howard is way too young (a little less than 2 yrs older than bynum) to simply write off as someone who will never develop the footwork and post moves that he so obviously is lacking.
djericho
Rookie
And1: 12

Post#19 » by djericho » Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:51 am

I agree Lebron is a no brainer.

IMO CP is a no brainer due to the fact he would make everyone on the team better. Radman and Odom would be all stars.

Dwight Howard in a heartbeat. He's a Physical specimen, and you let Kareem teach him the way he's been working with Bynum? Dwight Howard would have a field day.

That said, my dark horse pick would be Aldridge who I think has equal upside as Bynum but of overshadowed by Oden. A season under the captain would make him into a monster as well.
microfib4thewin
Head Coach
And1: 454

Post#20 » by microfib4thewin » Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:55 am

I am not a fan of Dwight's game, but you have to be crazy to not trade Bynum for him. Unlike Bynum who still has question marks, Dwight is a proven 21 year old center who avoided injury and has improved every year. He still has a subpar post game, bu who says he can't learn it? I like what Bynum has done, but Dwight's athleticism alone is enough to match Bynum's abilities, plus he's an above average man to man defender, a great help defender, and a monster on the boards.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers