ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Bynum Contract Talk Thread (Merges Ongoing)

Moderators: Kilroy, TyCobb, Danny Darko

hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,573

Re: Official Bynum Contract Talk Thread (Merges Ongoing) 

Post#121 » by hermes » Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:46 am

but wait Kwame made 9 mil, and Bynum's way better than he is

:wink:
milesfides
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,449

Post#122 » by milesfides » Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:02 am

Well "deserve" is a tricky word. It's a relative word.

Nobody can unequivocally prove that Bynum deserves anything - if he gets paid now, it'll be mostly based on potential - if not skill, then potential to stay healthy. Now how does one put a monetary value on potential?

ST said something about centers being the most important position and equivalent to a quarterback in football. I disagree with that, I think point guards are the more logical equivalent of quarterbacks, but his general point about importance regarding centers is true. Not because they're more talented or because they have a more important role than anybody else. Simply because it's hard to find quality athletes who can play the game at 7 feet. We're talking about .001% of the population.

Bynum is part of that small minority of human beings, and he's a member of the even more exclusive club of being 7 feet and being able to run, jump, pivot, and generally do things that other 7-footers cannot do. Moreover, among the 7-foot athletes, Bynum has shown that he actually has some talent for this game and worked on his skills.

In the world of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. In the world of the bumbling, inept giants, a 7-footer who can demonstrate some basic skills is master of his domain.

That makes him a rare commodity, no matter his track record.

You can't compare Bynum to the average basketball player, guards and forwards. Because there's plenty of great athletes who had to fight, claw and tooth, their way to success. There's less separation in talent and skill. Kobe Bryant is the greatest basketball player on the planet, but the difference between him and a second-tier shooting guard like Joe Johnson is not the same difference between Tim Duncan and Andres Biedrins.

So, yes, the game, both basketball and financial, is different for big men, such as the Lakers' signing of Kwame Brown based on almost purely potential, and guys like Jerome James, who only had to play his heart out for a few games to earn a ridiculous contract.

So, does Bynum deserve the max? Relative to the entire league, the way things generally work, no.

Considering the special considerations, most importantly his being a center, the money game is a little different.

In a hypothetical scenario, if Greg Oden, who has yet to play an official game, were eligible for free agency this past summer, how many teams do you think would have cleared some cap space to offer him a contract, despite his being 20 years old, coming off an season-ending injury, and having no NBA experience?

He doesn't deserve much, but I'm guess several teams would have positioned themselves to offer big contracts.

Bynum doesn't deserve the max, but there's no question some teams would offer him just that and make him their franchise player and prayer. Luckily, the Lakers can wait this season out before offering Bynum anything, and Bynum can take this year to make a compelling case that he "deserves" the max.
“OH! Caruso parachutes in! You cannot stop him - you can only hope to contain him!” -Kevin Harlan, LAL-GSW 4/4/19
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,734

Post#123 » by dockingsched » Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:07 am

is the deadline really october 31st?

if i'm bynum i'm ballhogging my way to 30/10 and 30/10 on oden and kaman :lol:
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
DEEP3CL
RealGM
And1: 3,207

Post#124 » by DEEP3CL » Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:18 am

dcash4 wrote:is the deadline really october 31st?

Yes sir !
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

SmartWentCrazy wrote:It's extremely unlikely that they end up in the top 3.They're probably better off trying to win and giving Philly the 8th pick than tanking and giving them the 4th.
TonyMontana
RealGM
And1: 398

Post#125 » by TonyMontana » Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:31 pm

DEEP3CL wrote:
dcash4 wrote:is the deadline really october 31st?

Yes sir !

Good Post Miles............
As far as my posts.
I can see Bynums potential, but my problem is that how am I as a GM willing to sign a young rookie to a Max contract that him and his agent is demanding simply because of thinking he has potential.
Me as a GM would like to see him keep his mouth shut, come in and prove to me that his knee is fine and prove to me " Look I realize I sat on the bench my rookie year, and I know I got injured last year and I was out the entire season, but watch me play and then decide on my contract"....Bynum and his camp isnt doing that.
They are pushing for MAX deal AND they are asking to sign before the season even begins.
I think thats where I am ver skepticle about why is he (Bynum) and his camp pushing the contract , well actually forcing the issue so hard and so soon.
I might be crazy, BUT I think there is something wrong STILL with Bynum knee, I dont think its healed and I think that is has an issue that may result in something more serious down the line or the season.
SO Bynums camp is pushing hard for a Max contract so that Bynum is locked for a few years and he is getting paid JUST INCASE something does happen to his knee.............
Call me crazy, but I have delt with people trying to force or push a contract on me when there is something wrong or Im not aware of.

Oh and DC and Deep, I thought it was the 31st as well, but I reed on General Board that I believe its the 28th........ Im not a 100% sure.
Verbal
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#126 » by Verbal » Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:53 pm

An ex-PG once told me, "PG is the hardest position to play."
eatyourchildren
Lead Assistant
And1: 11

Post#127 » by eatyourchildren » Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:56 pm

PG might be hardest, but C is the most significant, IMO.

All this talk about Bynum's supposed value is a little meaningless. I'm pretty sure that the FO will wait until at least midseason to come to a deal conclusion. By that time, we'll have a much better idea of what his fair market value is.

There's no need to forecast so heavily NOW because the team has the luxury of waiting until LATER. This is no Rashard Lewis situation.
ugkfan2681" wrote: wrote: i dont take **** lightly im from the land of the trill home of the rockets RESPECT OK.
Verbal
Banned User

Post#128 » by Verbal » Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:05 pm

eatyourchildren wrote:PG might be hardest, but C is the most significant, IMO.

All this talk about Bynum's supposed value is a little meaningless. I'm pretty sure that the FO will wait until at least midseason to come to a deal conclusion. By that time, we'll have a much better idea of what his fair market value is.

There's no need to forecast so heavily NOW because the team has the luxury of waiting until LATER. This is no Rashard Lewis situation.

Most significant? Umm.. I wasn't disputing anything unless you want to get into it...

I took at shot at it, you can tell me what you think.

Verbal wrote:If there's one thing I know about Buss... he's cheap.

And Bynum & company started the bidding with the max bid.

Decent strategy.

Childish.

But decent.

:wave:

Verbal wrote:9 million per year sounds like his true value...

11.5 million would be closer to what it would take them both to get into bed...

13.5 million would be generous....

14 million will shut both those guys up.

Yup yup.
TonyMontana
RealGM

Post#129 » by TonyMontana » Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:34 pm

Verbal wrote:

Most significant? Umm.. I wasn't disputing anything unless you want to get into it...

Decent strategy.

Childish.

But decent.

Yup yup.

lollllllll...... Dont worry Verb, leave eatmychildren alone, he is a little............... shoooo shoooo You know :crazy: , he basically posts his own questions and then he comes back and replies to his own posts answering his own questions...... :lol:
He's just HUNGGGGRRRRYYYYYYYYYY
eatyourchildren
Lead Assistant
And1: 11

Post#130 » by eatyourchildren » Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:50 pm

I see that you and JDawg are kissin cousins :lol:
ugkfan2681" wrote: wrote: i dont take **** lightly im from the land of the trill home of the rockets RESPECT OK.
hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,573

Post#131 » by hermes » Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:00 pm

whose doing what with their cousins??

what is this West Virginia?
TonyMontana
RealGM

Post#132 » by TonyMontana » Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:18 pm

hermes wrote:whose doing what with their cousins??

what is this West Virginia?

Lolllllll Nevermind Hermes.
He's just angry casue he wants to eat my children and he's being left out of the kissing part. :lol:
Verbal
Banned User

Post#133 » by Verbal » Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:46 pm

"We family baby, kissin cousins
Now look what the riff raff done drug in"
Verbal
Banned User

Post#134 » by Verbal » Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:50 pm

TonyMontana wrote:
Verbal wrote:

Decent strategy.

Childish.

But decent.

Yup yup.

lollllllll...... Dont worry Verb, leave eatmychildren alone, he is a little............... shoooo shoooo You know :crazy: , he basically posts his own questions and then he comes back and replies to his own posts answering his own questions...... :lol:
He's just HUNGGGGRRRRYYYYYYYYYY

He's a regular Mr. T isn't he? :box:

(Wait a second, I talk to myself sometimes, too! :-?)

I'll give him some time though. :lol:
DEEP3CL
RealGM
And1: 3,207

Post#135 » by DEEP3CL » Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:37 am

Verb and Tony............................lololololo !
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

SmartWentCrazy wrote:It's extremely unlikely that they end up in the top 3.They're probably better off trying to win and giving Philly the 8th pick than tanking and giving them the 4th.
Rox_Nix_Nox
Veteran
And1: 26

Post#136 » by Rox_Nix_Nox » Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:14 am

I wanna hear some more of this bynum not on tyson chandler's level argument.
Verbal
Banned User

Post#137 » by Verbal » Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:59 am

Rox_Nix_Nox wrote:I wanna hear some more of this bynum not on tyson chandler's level argument.

Bufflo WanGS!
Verbal
Banned User

Post#138 » by Verbal » Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:01 am

DEEP3CL wrote:Verb and Tony............................lololololo !

You can take the boys out the hood but you cant take the hood out the boys. :lol:

"Ghetto Fabolous! money makes the world go around so lets handle this!"

Wait, that's off topic. :rofl:

Yes, I'm a bit faded. :oops:
TonyMontana
RealGM

Post#139 » by TonyMontana » Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:02 pm

Rox_Nix_Nox wrote:I wanna hear some more of this bynum not on tyson chandler's level argument.

ahhhhhhhhh haa haaa ........Good one.
RIGHT............ so then why dont you post what you think instead of your daily " YOU DONT KNOW WHAT YOUR TALKING ABOUT" posts, and then disapearing for a couple of weeks, ha Rox Nix Nox kix rox nix nokxx.
Lets hear your side since you ran out G.B as you always do when someone disagrees with you.
CableKC
RealGM
And1: 10,724

Post#140 » by CableKC » Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:29 pm

It really sounds like it maybe best for both parties to simply let Bynum become a RFA. Bynum's Agent wants to get the most for him ( obviously ) whereas the Lakers FO are reluctant to give him the amount of $$$ without seeing how he does coming off of his injury. If Bynum's Agent think that he's worth the amount of $$$ that he's asking for....then Bynum just has to go out and prove it over the course of the season.
- In 2024, you are not voting for a "Democrat" or "Republican". You are voting for the Party that will defend Democracy and protect the most vulnerable among us.

#THE_GOP_IS_DEAD
#IT_IS_THE_PARTY_OF_TRUMP_NOW

Return to Los Angeles Lakers