ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Bynum Contract Talk Thread (Merges Ongoing)

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

LLcoleJ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,366

Re: Bynum's agent disappointed with contract talks 

Post#41 » by LLcoleJ » Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:19 pm

^^^ Goodwill? I dont think that applies here.

No offense to Bynum. But he seriously cant use 35 games ( over a 3 year career) and sit out the rest of the season with inury and come back and expect the Lakers to bow down to his demands. The fact that the Lakers are considering a max deal after that is enough goodwill Andrew or any player deserves.

I dont have a probelem with Bynum asking for the most money. However, I dont see him throwing a fit if he doesnt get what he wants given his previous season of highs and lows. . I expect him to go out and play and the money will come.
Cheers. :beer: — Mags
Sedale Threatt
RealGM
And1: 41,143

Post#42 » by Sedale Threatt » Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:36 pm

Exactly. Andrew's played exactly one half a season of quality basketball, and is coming off a major injury, yet somehow the Lakers are the bad guys because they aren't willing to throw a max deal at him with no questions asked. Ridiculous.

If Andrew stays healthy, he's going to play well. And if Andrew plays well, he's going to get paid. By the Lakers. It's as simple as that.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 15,164

Post#43 » by shrink » Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:47 pm

We're not talking about what's fair. We're talking about what Bynum THINKS is fair.

To Bynum, he may think that the Lakers are refusing to pay him because they don't trust him. He's been told he's the future, but when the time comes to pay, they say, "No way -- you haven't shown us enough!"

Question One should be: If Bynum gets a max deal elsewhere, are the Lakers going to match?

If the answer is yes, then they should pay now, and avoid prima donna episodes (which you guys know can wreck great teams).

If the answer is only "maybe" then I think you guys are playing with fire, risking alienating Bynum. If he doesn't feel appreciated, or he feels the Lakers don't trust him enough to protect him now, he does not HAVE to accept your offer next year, and could "Okafor" you, play for the one year qualifying offer, and accept a max deal on a team that he feels will treat him better.

Is it a gamble for the Lakers to pay him now? Certainly. I wouldn't even say its the wrong move. However, the posters who have said there is no reason to consider extending him now .. I think that's incorrect.
LLcoleJ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#44 » by LLcoleJ » Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:55 pm

shrink wrote:We're not talking about what's fair. We're talking about what Bynum THINKS is fair.

To Bynum, he may think that the Lakers are refusing to pay him because they don't trust him. He's been told he's the future, but when the time comes to pay, they say, "No way -- you haven't shown us enough!"

Right. He hasnt showed us enough. He knows that, he has said as much. I dont doubt that he is working in unison with his agent to get the Max. But to assert that he is being treated unfairly and he will throw a fit because he was told he is the future, is a joke.

Bynum wants to get a contract now, I am sure he can. A nice long one. If he wants the Max, he needs to show more.

Lets not presume that Bynum thinks he is above the rest and deserves it because he asked for it.

Question One should be: If Bynum gets a max deal elsewhere, are the Lakers going to match?

If the answer is yes, then they should pay now, and avoid prima donna episodes (which you guys know can wreck great teams).

If the answer is only "maybe" then I think you guys are playing with fire, risking alienating Bynum. If he doesn't feel appreciated, or he feels the Lakers don't trust him enough to protect him now, he does not HAVE to accept your offer next year, and could "Okafor" you, play for the one year qualifying offer, and accept a max deal on a team that he feels will treat him better.

Lets rephrase question one. If a team is going to pay him the max ( next summer) that would mean Bynum had an oustanding year. So to answer the question- yes , we will match. If he doesnt live up to the hype this season, then I doubt he will be offered a max deal.

Is it a gamble for the Lakers to pay him now? Certainly. I wouldn't even say its the wrong move. However, the posters who have said there is no reason to consider extending him now .. I think that's incorrect.

Whats the gamble? That in your assertion that we dont pay him now, he will throw a fit and think he is being treated unfairly and ride it our for 2 years before he becomes a UFA? That is incorrect.
hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,584

Post#45 » by hermes » Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:51 pm

shrink wrote:We're not talking about what's fair. We're talking about what Bynum THINKS is fair.

probably insert David Lee in there instead of Bynum
TonyMontana
RealGM
And1: 398

Post#46 » by TonyMontana » Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:07 pm

Seriously, this sounds a bit odd.
I mean a good agent and a player that wants to be a franchise player would probably think what were think.
Realistically, lets say if Im Bynum........... I realize that I havent really givin the Lakers Org. any proof or reason to sign me for Max since,
A. I havent really had any solid season.
B. I just had a major surgery on my knee.
C. Its too early in the season for me to start demanding.
D. Wether or not LA signs me for max, I will go out there and keep my mouth closed and allow my game to do the talking.

BUT why are we angry and going public so soon with our demands.
I think there is something more to this stroy than we know, since I initially had a problem with Bynum not using the Lakers medical staff and decided to go out of the Org. with a private doctor for his injuries, and this whole max demand is making me think that there is more to Bynums injury than we think we know of.
Call me crazy but I think theres a lot more to this than we know.
Verbal
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#47 » by Verbal » Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:35 pm

hermes wrote:

probably insert David Lee in there instead of Bynum

Sure.

Just give the Lakers two unprotected first rounders, too.

J.K. :clown:
Verbal
Banned User

Post#48 » by Verbal » Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:37 pm

TonyMontana wrote:Seriously, this sounds a bit odd.
I mean a good agent and a player that wants to be a franchise player would probably think what were think.
Realistically, lets say if Im Bynum........... I realize that I havent really givin the Lakers Org. any proof or reason to sign me for Max since,
D. Wether or not LA signs me for max, I will go out there and keep my mouth closed and allow my game to do the talking.

I think there is something more to this stroy than we know, since I initially had a problem with Bynum not using the Lakers medical staff and decided to go out of the Org. with a private doctor for his injuries, and this whole max demand is making me think that there is more to Bynums injury than we think we know of.

I like your thinking. :D

Btw, Karl Malone did the same thing... and Kobe goes to his own doctors too. :dontknow:
TonyMontana
RealGM

Post#49 » by TonyMontana » Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:46 pm

Verbal wrote:
TonyMontana wrote:Seriously, this sounds a bit odd.

I like your thinking. :D

Btw, Karl Malone did the same thing... and Kobe goes to his own doctors too. :dontknow:

Verb............ Bynum is not Karl or Kobe. His a rookie that didnt and refused the Lakers Medical staff to deal with his injury. All Im saying is that with all this contract preseason hype and with his injures and the way he decided to deal with his injures, I think there's more to it.
Verbal
Banned User

Post#50 » by Verbal » Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:41 am

I'm with you on your call, Tony. :)

The kid is going through a contract season after going through what JO went through in Portland.

But unlike our superstar (Kobe), Bynum was never a clear-cut max-player.

He's got a chance to prove that to everyone this season.

And unlike JO, we're not shipping Bynum for expiring scraps (Dale Davis).
TruSkool
Lead Assistant
And1: 253

Bynum wants his number! 

Post#51 » by TruSkool » Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:35 pm

17 million a season?!
too much for this guy. hes proven absolutely NOTHING in my eyes.
he even "admitted" that he still had swelling in his knee last week.

id rather trade him and get iguodala+andre miller in return lol

miller
kobe
iguodala
odom
gasol
hermes
RealGM

Re: Bynum wants his number! 

Post#52 » by hermes » Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:41 pm

overblown again
here's the link

Bynum's agent, David Lee, reportedly is seeking a five-year extension worth an estimated $17 million a year, while the Lakers are more comfortable paying Bynum about $10 million a year.

Bynum said he wasn't affected by the ongoing discussions.

"Not really, because if I go out and play the way I'm supposed to, it'll take care of itself," he said.

thats whose behind this
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,746

Post#53 » by lilfishi22 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:23 pm

That's ridiculous. Isn't that almost CP3 money? Where he is now I think he's worth about 10, maybe 12 max.
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
LLcoleJ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#54 » by LLcoleJ » Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:56 pm

the CBA doesn't even allow for him to make that much, his agent should know that.also, don't we have a bynum contract thread?
milesfides
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,449

Post#55 » by milesfides » Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:32 pm

TonyMontana wrote:

I agree. I said earlier in this thread that there may be two reasons why Bynum's agent is pushing so hard to wrap up a deal right now:

1. Bynum's health may not hold up this season
2. Encourage teams to clear cap space

Jermaine's quotes regarding swelling in Bynum's knee is highly disturbing, since that means Bynum isn't fully recovered, which is strange, considering that he's been declared healthy and cleared to play. But maybe it's not serious enough to warrant time off the court..just worrisome enough for Bynum and his agent to want to secure the contract now. In fact, the preseason may be exactly that - a mini-showcase for Bynum (however sad that sounds).

Regarding other teams...if just one or two teams clear some cap space knowing Bynum is seeking the max, and that the Lakers may not pay (especially if Bynum misses some games), then Bynum and his agent have leverage to secure a max deal, by virtue of competition for Bynum's services. And the seeds of that leverage have been sowed right now, as every controversy acts as an advertisement of Bynum's availability.

Lastly, it's easy to demonize the agent, but at this point, what reason does anybody have to doubt Bynum's feelings about this?

Poor, innocent Bynum, corrupted and misled by the agent from hell?

Bynum can fire him, like many players fire their agents, unless he's satisfied with what his agent is doing.
“OH! Caruso parachutes in! You cannot stop him - you can only hope to contain him!” -Kevin Harlan, LAL-GSW 4/4/19
Verbal
Banned User

Post#56 » by Verbal » Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:12 pm

+1

Maybe Bynum is acting like a girl and is playing hard to get w/ Rob Pelinka. :rofl:

Rookie games. :rofl2:

Wait, that sounded wrong. ("NO HOMO!") :naaa:
TonyMontana
RealGM

Post#57 » by TonyMontana » Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:28 pm

Hey I want Angelina Jolie, does that mean she wants me?
Like Phil said.......... CBA doesnt even allow for him to make that much money.
Skip him.
TonyMontana
RealGM

Post#58 » by TonyMontana » Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:41 pm

milesfides wrote:
TonyMontana wrote:

I agree. I said earlier in this thread that there may be two reasons why Bynum's agent is pushing so hard to wrap up a deal right now:

1. Bynum's health may not hold up this season
2. Encourage teams to clear cap space

Jermaine's quotes regarding swelling in Bynum's knee is highly disturbing, since that means Bynum isn't fully recovered, which is strange, considering that he's been declared healthy and cleared to play. But maybe it's not serious enough to warrant time off the court..just worrisome enough for Bynum and his agent to want to secure the contract now. In fact, the preseason may be exactly that - a mini-showcase for Bynum (however sad that sounds).

Regarding other teams...if just one or two teams clear some cap space knowing Bynum is seeking the max, and that the Lakers may not pay (especially if Bynum misses some games), then Bynum and his agent have leverage to secure a max deal, by virtue of competition for Bynum's services. And the seeds of that leverage have been sowed right now, as every controversy acts as an advertisement of Bynum's availability.

Lastly, it's easy to demonize the agent, but at this point, what reason does anybody have to doubt Bynum's feelings about this?

Poor, innocent Bynum, corrupted and misled by the agent from hell?

Bynum can fire him, like many players fire their agents, unless he's satisfied with what his agent is doing.

Yup Yup Miles........... Something isnt right.
hermes
RealGM

Post#59 » by hermes » Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:45 pm

lol does his agent have any idea what he's doing? how can he not know the rules of the CBA?

*waits for 20 million a year headlines tomorrow
Roger Murdock
RealGM
And1: 4,780

Post#60 » by Roger Murdock » Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:53 pm

On potential he is a 12 million $ a year player.

Based on his previous play and games a year hes a 6 mill a year player.

9 mill sounds fair.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers