The Challenge

MAS
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35

The Challenge 

Post#1 » by MAS » Mon Apr 2, 2007 4:44 am

This is the article to go along with the launch of the NHL forums.

It is a challenge to the rest of the RealGM readers to take some time to watch hockey and try not to dismiss it and give it a chance as something for you to watch on a regular basis.

Here it is guys.

http://www.realgmhockey.com/src_shiftch ... challenge/
moose man
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8

Post#2 » by moose man » Mon Apr 2, 2007 5:22 am

Good Read MAS,
Our My Nhl are pretty much the same. But if you ask any canadian they'll tell you the same story. I couldn't agree more about the fighting topic to. However the only problem I have with fighting is the pre staged ones where everyone knows its coming. I'd rather see a good line brawl like the one in the Calgary and Vancouver game last night or a fight where its sticking up for your teammates. But good point about it needs to be in the game. I understand your passion and have the same passion as you do. There is nothing like going into an NHL rink in Canada or watching hockey night in Canada at a local bar. Going down to the red mile, whyte ave or younge street after a playoff victory. I totally agree about the personalities of NHL players as well. Every player that I have ever met in my life (which is quite a lot of past and present players) has always signed an autograph for me, sat there and talked hockey with me or some have even bought me a drink at the bar after the game and allowed me to come into their VIP section. If you are ever in Calgary, make sure you go to Cowboys after a Flames game. I have seen the whole team in there numerous times after big wins. Im sure this is the same as the other 5 franchises in Canada. The point is though the game has some of the most colorful people in it. The NHL has more to offer then its getting credit for.
Snayr
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4

Post#3 » by Snayr » Mon Apr 2, 2007 6:53 pm

Good read. I'd love to see more Realgmers into hockey, and not always bashing it. Such an awesome game, especially with the new fresh blood entering into the league. Alot of good young talent! Going to be amazing watching these players grow up and develop!!
Montreal Canadiens Fan | Toronto Raptors Fan | Montreal Alouettes Fan - Proud to be Canadian!!
pineappleheadindc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,479

Post#4 » by pineappleheadindc » Mon Apr 2, 2007 7:01 pm

starplayer02 wrote:Good read. I'd love to see more Realgmers into hockey, and not always bashing it. Such an awesome game. especially with the new fresh blood entering into the league. Alot of good young talent! Going to be amazing watching these players grow up and develop!!

I have never understood why so many basketball fans in the US are also not into hockey (and soccer). The games have so much in common - constant movement, watching plays happen in 4D - the 4th D being time - speed, skill.

To me, NBA/NHL/MLS all have a lot more in common that NBA and NFL or MLB.

--------

MAS - good article. I would echo moose man's observations that NHL players are so accessible. (And thanks for using the Ovy photo for the article too!)

:-)
"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart."
--Confucius

"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try"
- Yoda
Harold_and_Kumar
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,656

Post#5 » by Harold_and_Kumar » Tue Apr 3, 2007 8:38 pm

Loved the article, well done MAS!

I think you bring up an excellent point, for those that don't understand why hockey and soccer is exciting to some people, you just have to understand the passion to understand the sport.
MAS
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35

Post#6 » by MAS » Tue Apr 3, 2007 10:10 pm

Harold_and_Kumar wrote:Loved the article, well done MAS!

I think you bring up an excellent point, for those that don't understand why hockey and soccer is exciting to some people, you just have to understand the passion to understand the sport.

I personally think they don't like it because they don't understand it, take a look at this for example from the OT board on the basketball forums

nsballer07 wrote:bball > baseball > football >>>>>>>hockey, never seen a game in my life

http://www.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic. ... sc&start=0

He thinks he has the leverage to say that he doesn't like hockey, but he's never seen a game. How is supposed to know he doesn't like it if he's never seen it. And that was the point to this article, to try and get them to give it a chance, to understand it. If they understand it then they might like it.

Canadians had the same issue with basketball but especially here in Toronto they have taken the time to embrace the sport.
The_Child_Prodigy
Analyst
And1: 0

Post#7 » by The_Child_Prodigy » Thu Apr 5, 2007 2:01 pm

The NHL has done everything on purpose adn by accident to make it a spectators sport.

It is a fast paced game not much stoppage.

You have the Stalls, Crosby's and Ovechkins coming up.

They kept fighting when some people wanted it out of the game.

No more ties it's 4 on 4 hockey in OT and then if that is not enough how bout the shootout where you can watch your favourite players do new never before seen dangles.

They need to swap hockey by 'accident' with MNF and see how many people watch that. You need more adversity.

Next step is play th all star game in nig cities who cant really care about hockey to attract people there and might watch on more regularity.

Do teh callenge come on people!
UTMCretin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1

Post#8 » by UTMCretin » Thu Apr 5, 2007 5:19 pm

pineappleheadindc wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I have never understood why so many basketball fans in the US are also not into hockey (and soccer). The games have so much in common - constant movement, watching plays happen in 4D - the 4th D being time - speed, skill.

To me, NBA/NHL/MLS all have a lot more in common that NBA and NFL or MLB.

IMO, it has more to do with the amount of scoring than the back and forth action. Personally, I prefer watching basketball because you can tell when progress is being made by one side, whereas in hockey, goals can happen at any time, but they usually don't. Same goes for soccer, except amplified by a much slower pace (ignoring the MLS).

As for baseball... :dontknow:

Return to The General NHL Board