Heat/Cavs/Thunder

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

DowJones
RealGM
And1: 6,793

Re: Heat/Cavs/Thunder 

Post#21 » by DowJones » Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:42 pm

psman2 wrote:
DowJones wrote:
psman2 wrote:
Can you list the last SNT that netted 3 1sts, one recent lottery player with promise and no bad salary? With a team like Brooklyn waiting with cap space as a true threat to sign him outright or be used as leverage for another team not to have to give up the farm in a SNT which would be in Mitchell's future interests for his new team not to overpay.

A SNT will likely be Clev actually paying some 2nds to get a TPE or maybe a team giving one of two 1sts to move around some salary to make it happen. I would not go into this season if Mitchell declares he is not extending expecting to be able to recoup much if anything in a SNT after the season.

So let's say Mitchell really wants to go to Miami. If that is the case, then the only way he can get there in 2025 is if Cleveland does a sign and trade. The same with the Lakers, Knicks, etc. I agree that if Cleveland is getting reasonable offers this summer then their best move is to trade Donovan, but if the best offer is Herro and a 2029 1st then they are better off keeping him at least until the trade deadline.

There are avenues for teams to clear space that don't involve paying 4 1sts in value in a SNT. Like the Knicks could move off of money(hart/robinson/etc) and/or not resign Randle and could get under the cap enough to sign Mitchell outright. LeBron decides to take a Jordan approach to his final years and take a big discount that allows LAL to sign Mitchell. Miami can even likely go the cap space route cheaper than 4 1sts.

The point is I would not go into this offseason with the approach that a SNT netting Clev 4 1sts in value is the worst case scenario they can fall back on if they don't trade him this offseason.

But wouldn’t it make more sense for the Knicks to trade OG and a pair of 1st rounders near the trade deadline than let Randle, Hart, Robinson, etc walk? That is my argument for why Cleveland should be willing to go into the season with an in extended Mitchell if the best offer is Herro and a future Miami 1st.
tidho
General Manager
And1: 3,084

Post#22 » by tidho » Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:57 pm

mg wrote:The Lakers could easily beat this offer. If Heat are unwilling to include Jaquez I doubt they have a viable way to obtain Mitchell.

Herro, Jovic, 1st.

The idea that MIA can't is baffling to me. Oh, and btw, has this crowd been watching the playoffs? I say this 5 minutes before game 4, just in time for Mitchell to make me look foolish (hopefully he does), but seriously, is it even a given we get a Herro level talent back?
psman2
General Manager
And1: 4,877

Post#23 » by psman2 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:00 pm

DowJones wrote:
psman2 wrote:
DowJones wrote:
So let's say Mitchell really wants to go to Miami. If that is the case, then the only way he can get there in 2025 is if Cleveland does a sign and trade. The same with the Lakers, Knicks, etc. I agree that if Cleveland is getting reasonable offers this summer then their best move is to trade Donovan, but if the best offer is Herro and a 2029 1st then they are better off keeping him at least until the trade deadline.

There are avenues for teams to clear space that don't involve paying 4 1sts in value in a SNT. Like the Knicks could move off of money(hart/robinson/etc) and/or not resign Randle and could get under the cap enough to sign Mitchell outright. LeBron decides to take a Jordan approach to his final years and take a big discount that allows LAL to sign Mitchell. Miami can even likely go the cap space route cheaper than 4 1sts.

The point is I would not go into this offseason with the approach that a SNT netting Clev 4 1sts in value is the worst case scenario they can fall back on if they don't trade him this offseason.

But wouldn’t it make more sense for the Knicks to trade OG and a pair of 1st rounders near the trade deadline than let Randle, Hart, Robinson, etc walk? That is my argument for why Cleveland should be willing to go into the season with an in extended Mitchell if the best offer is Herro and a future Miami 1st.

1st thing is I don't think Herro and a 1st is the best offer this offseason, so you are starting with a false premise to measure against. And yes teams will have to decide what is the best approach to try to sign a player like Mitchell. For NYK, I would just move on from Randle, especially if he wants a max and move around some salary to make it happen. Likely what would happen for a team like NY is they arrange it where they have the ability (trades lined up) to make the space if needed and then go to Clev with a SNT offer that is better than Mitchell walking to Brooklyn for nothing for Clev. Like a double SNT with Randle going to a 3rd team (maybe Clev) and Hart/1st+ going to Clev. So whatever possible SNT that goes down it is very very likely going to be for considerable less assets than what the best offer is this offseason.

Return to Trades and Transactions