Offers for Paul Reed?

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,472

Re: Offers for Paul Reed? 

Post#21 » by jbk1234 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:43 pm

I think he probably becomes fully guaranteed, at least in 24-25, if he's traded. Depending on the language in the contract, both years might become guaranteed. If you have team-based incentives in the deal, and the player is traded to another team, I'm guessing the incentive bonus becomes automatic.

That aside, the second star would have to be something else in order to justify giving up a really good backup center. Embiid is getting neither younger nor healthier with the passage of time.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,649

Post#22 » by HartfordWhalers » Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:10 pm

jbk1234 wrote:I think he probably becomes fully guaranteed, at least in 24-25, if he's traded. Depending on the language in the contract, both years might become guaranteed. If you have team-based incentives in the deal, and the player is traded to another team, I'm guessing the incentive bonus becomes automatic.

I don’t believe this is accurate. Granted there are the matching of non gtd deal details so he could be gtd to make matching work better.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,472

Post#23 » by jbk1234 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:43 pm

HartfordWhalers wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:I think he probably becomes fully guaranteed, at least in 24-25, if he's traded. Depending on the language in the contract, both years might become guaranteed. If you have team-based incentives in the deal, and the player is traded to another team, I'm guessing the incentive bonus becomes automatic.

I don’t believe this is accurate. Granted there are the matching of non gtd deal details so he could be gtd to make matching work better.

I think he's well worth the money either way, but it would be odd for an agent to agree to postseason, team-based incentives and not insist that the contract becomes fully guaranteed in the event of a trade. I mean if he's traded to the Spurs, then the incentive has no chance of being met.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
HartfordWhalers
And1: 20,649

Post#24 » by HartfordWhalers » Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:10 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
HartfordWhalers wrote:

I think he's well worth the money either way, but it would be odd for an agent to agree to postseason, team-based incentives and not insist that the contract becomes fully guaranteed in the event of a trade. I mean if he's traded to the Spurs, then the incentive has no chance of being met.

That is how those incentives work, always has been. More than a few players have championship based bonuses and similar as well, it isn't that unusual either.

Interesting it was actually put in the opposite reason. Utah offered him this contract and so it was going to be harder for Philly to match as it would be much more likely to be binding on Philly than it was on Utah.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,137

Post#25 » by Scoot McGroot » Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:17 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
HartfordWhalers wrote:

Have we seen yet a contract signed that has a "becomes fully guaranteed for the lifetime of the contract if the player is ever traded on the lifetime of this contract"? I think it'd be a first? It certainly hasn't been reported on his contract, which is infinitely likely to mean that that type of clause doesn't exist here. And since he's under contract, his agent can't demand a full guarantee to agree to a deal....there's nothing for the player to agree to.

In this case, the clause was there solely for Utah to have had outs, but try to make it tough for Philly to have matched. They wanted the player, but not necessarily that contract, so they tried to make it tough on Philly, is all.
SkyHook
Veteran
And1: 1,798

Post#26 » by SkyHook » Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:59 am

Utah might still be interested. He can be traded there as of 7/11. Prearranged trade for 2024 SRP, #32?
Don’t make it personal, don’t take it personal.

Sellers don’t set market value. Buyers don’t set market value.
Market value only exists when two (or more) parties are in agreement.
PhillyNj
Sixth Man
And1: 550

Post#27 » by PhillyNj » Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:30 pm

If the Sixers lose to the Knicks(very likely now) Reeds contract is non guaranteed thank you Utah Jazz. I think wherebetter off just letting him go. He’s been a major disappointment. Definitely not worth his contract.

Return to Trades and Transactions