Cavs / Hawks / Spurs

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

JJ_PR
Analyst
And1: 2,879

Cavs / Hawks / Spurs 

Post#1 » by JJ_PR » Sat May 4, 2024 2:52 am

Cavs get: Dejounte Murray and Jalen Johnson
Hawks get: Devin Vassell and all of their firsts returned (2025, 2026 swap, 2027)
Spurs get: Darius Garland

Cavs do this to fix their backcourt and add a solid wing in the process.
Hawks do this to fix their backcourt and get their picks back.
Spurs get their point guard of the future.

Hire Kenny Atkinson
wemby
Senior
And1: 334

Re: Cavs / Hawks / Spurs 

Post#2 » by wemby » Sat May 4, 2024 4:17 am

This trade seems crazy loopsided in favor of the Cavs and against the Spurs, who give up 3 potential lottery picks in deep drafts, PLUS Vassell... for.... DARIUS GARLAND????!!!! I'm not sure Garland is worth much more than Deojunte by himself, let alone Jalen Johnson or the 2 of them combined.
I probably would rather keep Vassell at his current contract than Garland, let alone the picks. Just use one of the picks this year on a PG (Dillingham, Sheppard, Topic, take your pick) and that's much better than overpaying for players who aren't worth it.
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 20,185

Post#3 » by Colbinii » Sat May 4, 2024 4:48 am

2021 called, they want their potential on Garland to be sold in this trade.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
Chinook
Head Coach
And1: 3,480

Post#4 » by Chinook » Sat May 4, 2024 4:52 am

There are only a few players I'd want the Spurs to trade Vassell for. That's not a value thing. Most players aren't so good that the Spurs should feel comfortable losing a guy who should be a strong third option in the exchange. The Garland/Vassell/Wemby big three is just so much more interesting than a Garland/Wemby duo. I think it's been to hope the Spurs draft someone like Dillingham who can become that third guy and maybe be the second guy in a few years.
azuresou1
Head Coach
And1: 1,076

Post#5 » by azuresou1 » Sat May 4, 2024 6:03 am

LMAO at no point in Darius Garland's career has he been worth even half this package
Wolveswin
Head Coach
And1: 2,565

Post#6 » by Wolveswin » Sat May 4, 2024 6:21 am

Maybe take out Vassell and make it K. Johnson from Spurs.

But I think Cavs would cut out Hawks if Vassell in play.
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,652

Post#7 » by jayjaysee » Sat May 4, 2024 9:47 am

Even without Mitchell extending, I take this for Cleveland? Which is really rare.

If Mitchell won’t resign, building around this trade with Mitchell to SAS seems possible..
Ryreb
Ballboy
And1: 10

Post#8 » by Ryreb » Sat May 4, 2024 3:57 pm

azuresou1 wrote:LMAO at no point in Darius Garland's career has he been worth even half this package

18/7 with being very **** close to 50/40/90. So please check your facts before you speak out of your hairy ****
TheBrooklynKidd
Head Coach
And1: 3,627

Post#9 » by TheBrooklynKidd » Sat May 4, 2024 4:09 pm

Ryreb wrote:
azuresou1 wrote:LMAO at no point in Darius Garland's career has he been worth even half this package

18/7 with being very **** close to 50/40/90. So please check your facts before you speak out of your hairy ****

You must not know who Jalen Johnson is.

Garland’s value isn’t close to this.
TheBrooklynKidd
Head Coach

Post#10 » by TheBrooklynKidd » Sat May 4, 2024 4:11 pm

Who’s better at this point: Garland or Murray?

I lean Murray.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 89,718

Post#11 » by Texas Chuck » Sat May 4, 2024 6:11 pm

Ryreb wrote:

Just absolutely no need for this level of aggression. Please refrain in the future.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
azuresou1
Head Coach
And1: 1,076

Post#12 » by azuresou1 » Sun May 5, 2024 1:26 am

Ryreb wrote:

Is 18/7 supposed to be worth DeJounte Murray let alone adding Jalen Johnson (16/9/4 with fantastic size/defense)? Or Devin Vassell (20/4/4 with great shooting) and 2 firsts + a swap?
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,565

Post#13 » by jbk1234 » Sun May 5, 2024 1:56 am

TheBrooklynKidd wrote:Who’s better at this point: Garland or Murray?

I lean Murray.

That's crazy. Doesn't matter though, the Cavs aren't going to trade Garland. There are a whole lot of folks who are being prisoners of the moment right now.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
TheBrooklynKidd
Head Coach

Post#14 » by TheBrooklynKidd » Sun May 5, 2024 2:03 am

jbk1234 wrote:

I lean Murray.

That's crazy. Doesn't matter though, the Cavs aren't going to trade Garland. There are a whole lot of folks who are being prisoners of the moment right now.

Is it crazy?

Every stat I’ve found favors Murray.

https://stathead.com/tiny/uRybD
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#15 » by jbk1234 » Sun May 5, 2024 2:17 am

TheBrooklynKidd wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

I lean Murray.

Is it crazy?

Except for assists, which are pretty important for a PG, and efficiency, which I also consider pretty important, and if you only look at this season, yes.

Garland had his jaw broken pretty early on, ate through a straw, and lost 12lbs while he was out. Almost as soon as he gets back, Mitchell, Strus, Mobley, and Wade all went down with injuries. This was coincidentally the toughest part of the schedule and he was there trying to make it happen with Okoro and LeVert, against good defensive teams who were understandably only worried about Garland and Allen.

I get that fans would have these hot takes, but the Cavs are a professional organization and Garland is a special player who is only 24-years old.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
TheBrooklynKidd
Head Coach

Post#16 » by TheBrooklynKidd » Sun May 5, 2024 2:37 am

jbk1234 wrote:
TheBrooklynKidd wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

Is it crazy?

Except for assists, which are pretty important for a PG, and efficiency, which I also consider pretty important, and if you only look at this season, yes.

Garland had his jaw broken pretty early on, ate through a straw, and lost 12lbs while he was out. Almost as soon as he gets back, Mitchell, Strus, Mobley, and Wade all went down with injuries. This was coincidentally the toughest part of the schedule and he was there trying to make it happen with Okoro and LeVert, against good defensive teams who were understandably only worried about Garland and Allen.

I get that fans would have these hot takes, but the Cavs are a professional organization and Garland is a special player who is only 24-years old.

The advanced stats significantly favor Murray this year.

Garland shot .8% better from 3 and had .1 more assists. That’s not a strong basis for the argument of him being better.

Maybe the injury is a factor, but I wouldn’t say it’s “crazy” to say that Murray is better, especially when you consider the defensive end of the court. Murray regressed defensively but his All-Defense season wasn’t a fluke and lead the league in steals 2 years ago.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#17 » by jbk1234 » Sun May 5, 2024 2:55 am

TheBrooklynKidd wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
TheBrooklynKidd wrote:
Is it crazy?

Garland shot .8% better from 3 and had .1 more assists. That’s not a strong basis for the argument of him being better.

Maybe the injury is a factor, but I wouldn’t say it’s “crazy” to say that Murray is better, especially when you consider the defensive end of the court. Murray regressed defensively but his All-Defense season wasn’t a fluke and lead the league in steals 2 years ago.

It's crazy. You're relying on a small and flawed sample size when there are larger ones available.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
TheBrooklynKidd
Head Coach

Post#18 » by TheBrooklynKidd » Sun May 5, 2024 3:02 am

jbk1234 wrote:
TheBrooklynKidd wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

It's crazy. You're relying on a small and flawed sample size when there are larger ones available.

Whatever you say.

Murray has quite the body of work as well and his best season was better than anything Garland has done. Plus there’s no comparison to be made from a defensive and rebounding perspective.

Personally I’ve always been underwhelmed by Garland, especially in the playoffs. He’s a good point guard but far from “special”.
Bornstellar
Head Coach
And1: 17,565

Post#19 » by Bornstellar » Sun May 5, 2024 3:43 am

Pretty lopsided and terrible deal from the Spurs perspective imo.
wemby
Senior
And1: 334

Post#20 » by wemby » Sun May 5, 2024 4:18 am

jbk1234 wrote:
TheBrooklynKidd wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

I'd have Garland as more valuable than Dejounte, but not by much, and certainly not by THIS much (by any stretch of the imagination). In fact I have Jalen Johnson as being more valuable than Garland by a larger margin than Garland is to either Dejounte or Vassell, and I think saying Dejounte is better than Garland is FAR more reasonable than the proposal in this thread.

Return to Trades and Transactions