ORL - To PG or not to PG.

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

Which pg does ORL make a move for?

Mitchell
No votes
Murray
38%
TMurphy
No votes
Vleet
4%
LaVine
12%
Fox
4%
CJ McCollum
8%
Nothing major: ORL hopes Black develops or the other are enough.
35%

Total votes: 26

Xman
Assistant Coach
And1: 368

ORL - To PG or not to PG. 

Post#1 » by Xman » Sun May 5, 2024 8:52 pm

So, Banchero is a stud. Wagner is usually. Suggs has established himself. WCJ is nothing special - but he is not a negative like a lot of big men. PG for ORL is overloaded - - and not ready. A true scoring guard would fit really well next to the Suggs/Wagner/Banchero trio.

C - WCJ, (need slid backup to share minutes)
PF - Banchero, Isaac
SF - Wagner
SG - Suggs
PG - (need stud), Black, CAnthony, if resigned (Fultz, Harris)

So - does ORL make a move - and, if so which one?
Slim Charless
RealGM
And1: 6,305

Re: ORL - To PG or not to PG. 

Post#2 » by Slim Charless » Sun May 5, 2024 9:02 pm

After today, I'm not sure why Franz just gets an automatic bid into core player. His numbers fell slightly from last year( he should've improved instead he went the other way) over the season too.

I'd be more than open to trading him if I was the Magic.

To answer the question, I guess Lavine fits decent with this team. Probably can be had cheaply too.
HadAnEffectHere
Sixth Man
And1: 849

Post#3 » by HadAnEffectHere » Sun May 5, 2024 9:13 pm

Harden should have been in this poll.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,574

Post#4 » by jbk1234 » Sun May 5, 2024 9:21 pm

I still like Simons for them.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
mademan
RealGM
And1: 28,563

Post#5 » by mademan » Sun May 5, 2024 9:23 pm

If PG doesnt go there, i think Dlo is a nice stop gap for them if they can get him on a 2/40 ish deal.
vege
RealGM
And1: 4,306

Post#6 » by vege » Sun May 5, 2024 10:12 pm

Slim Charless wrote:After today, I'm not sure why Franz just gets an automatic bid into core player. His numbers fell slightly from last year( he should've improved instead he went the other way) over the season too.

To answer the question, I guess Lavine fits decent with this team. Probably can be had cheaply too.

Maybe not resting during the offseason affected him? I don't know.

He's a good player, he had a disapointing season, but I think Sugs/Wagner/Paolo are Orlando's future.
meatwad4343
Rookie
And1: 284

Post#7 » by meatwad4343 » Sun May 5, 2024 11:52 pm

What would be able to get? As far as what I'm offering we have Jett/black/wendell/Issac/Cole and multiple firsts. Mitchell would be my first choice but I'm not sure what that would take to get done
Slim Charless
RealGM

Post#8 » by Slim Charless » Sun May 5, 2024 11:59 pm

vege wrote:
Slim Charless wrote:After today, I'm not sure why Franz just gets an automatic bid into core player. His numbers fell slightly from last year( he should've improved instead he went the other way) over the season too.

Maybe not resting during the offseason affected him? I don't know.

He's a good player, he had a disapointing season, but I think Sugs/Wagner/Paolo are Orlando's future.

He's a good player, not a non-negotiable one.

Suggs at least has DPOTY vibes, as does Issac for that matter. Paulo is your main guy and a 30ppg guy. Franz is just there. Doing well, but still just there. You guys have lots of money and picks so you don't NEED to trade him. With his new deal coming up though, I'd consider it.

You'd probably make a killing on some elite player combining Franz and some of your picks.
Residual-Heat
Sixth Man
And1: 1,128

Post#9 » by Residual-Heat » Mon May 6, 2024 2:10 am

Its really only his 3pt% that regressed. He improved everywhere else. 2pt%, APG up, RPG up, TOV down... What happens if he's hitting 35+% from three again next season like he's shown he's capable of?

Franz had a very bad game, but through the first 6 games of the play offs the guy was averaging 21ppg-7rpg-4.2apg with 1.3 bpg and 1.5 TOV.
Residual-Heat
Sixth Man

Post#10 » by Residual-Heat » Mon May 6, 2024 2:12 am

Murray is still my number 1 target as he has been for months. Going to take a third team because the Magic cant really offer any good players (Paolo, Suggs and Franz not for trade in this scenario).
Slim Charless
RealGM

Post#11 » by Slim Charless » Mon May 6, 2024 2:22 am

Residual-Heat wrote:

Its really only his 3pt% that regressed. He improved everywhere else. 2pt%, APG up, RPG up, TOV down... What happens if he's hitting 35+% from three again next season like he's shown he's capable of?

Franz had a very bad game, but through the first 6 games of the play offs the guy was averaging 21ppg-7rpg-4.2apg with 1.3 bpg and 1.5 TOV.

Well I'm not saying he's a bum. However, if the Cavs manage to re-sign Mitchell and look for a better fit with him than Garland, I'd be down if I were you guys. I'd probably sweeten the deal with a pick or 2 as well.

Garland gives you a legit PG and someone to put next to Paulo to play off of and handle the main distribution duties. His defense fall off is more than made up for with Suggs.

Point is, I'm just not sure Franz is the #2 on a title contending team. Or a #3 for that matter.
Residual-Heat
Sixth Man

Post#12 » by Residual-Heat » Mon May 6, 2024 2:35 am

Slim Charless wrote:
Residual-Heat wrote:

Well I'm not saying he's a bum. However, if the Cavs manage to re-sign Mitchell and look for a better fit with him than Garland, I'd be down if I were you guys. I'd probably sweeten the deal with a pick or 2 as well.

Garland gives you a legit PG and someone to put next to Paulo to play off of and handle the main distribution duties. His defense fall off is more than made up for with Suggs.

Point is, I'm just not sure Franz is the #2 on a title contending team. Or a #3 for that matter.

I am not that high on Garland to give up Franz for him TBH. Would rather keep Franz and use our picks to land a guard. Getting a good guard for the Magic really shouldnt be that hard to find. They can go for a PG, SG or combo guard and it will work mainly because of Sugg's defense. There are plenty of those in the NBA that are good players.

Im not breaking Franz and Paolo up unless its a package for a superstar. Having two players like them is special. Considering he's only 22 and this was his first play off series, the guy was playing great before this game. 21 PPG on 58%TS through the first 6 games.
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 14,541

Post#13 » by BK_2020 » Mon May 6, 2024 11:12 am

Banchero is very young so things can change but but so far he's been a losing player and it's not certain the Magic should build around him over Franz Wagner. Banchero might get you buckets but he doesn't profile as sufficiently efficient due to poor outside shooting and also he doesn't get to the rim a whole lot. Also he draws fouls at a decent rate but he's a really bad free throw shooter. A guy who chucks a lot of difficult two-pointers, doesn't pass well, commits a lot of dribbling turnovers, and is lazy on the boards and on defense.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,172

Post#14 » by tiderulz » Mon May 6, 2024 11:22 am

BK_2020 wrote:Banchero is very young so things can change but but so far he's been a losing player and it's not certain the Magic should build around him over Franz Wagner. Banchero might get you buckets but he doesn't profile as sufficiently efficient due to poor outside shooting and also he doesn't get to the rim a whole lot. Also he draws fouls at a decent rate but he's a really bad free throw shooter. A guy who chucks a lot of difficult two-pointers, doesn't pass well, commits a lot of dribbling turnovers, and is lazy on the boards and on defense.

huh? 2 years in the league, improved his 3 pt shot by 4% in 1 year, shot 38% from 3 his first playoff series. he led his team in assist in the playoffs (along with pts and rebs). he will make turnovers and a little chucking when as he grows, and when he gets very little help. think you are being overly harsh on a 21 yr old. and yes, he needs to improve his FT %, but these are things that can improve
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,090

Post#15 » by daoneandonly » Mon May 6, 2024 11:47 am

Hmm, Fox is interesting. What would Orl offer that would make Sac bite?
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,790

Post#16 » by Skybox » Mon May 6, 2024 12:00 pm

BK_2020 wrote:Banchero is very young so things can change but but so far he's been a losing player and it's not certain the Magic should build around him over Franz Wagner. Banchero might get you buckets but he doesn't profile as sufficiently efficient due to poor outside shooting and also he doesn't get to the rim a whole lot. Also he draws fouls at a decent rate but he's a really bad free throw shooter. A guy who chucks a lot of difficult two-pointers, doesn't pass well, commits a lot of dribbling turnovers, and is lazy on the boards and on defense.

I'm guessing you've seen maybe two ORL games this year? Paolo is an excellent passer-he led the team in assists and should have had a LOT more if ORL had guys that could knock down open 3's. For all of ORL's team-wide 3pt woes, they actually generate a very high number of open looks...that's all Paolo and Franz driving to the hoop and drawing fouls at a lot more than a 'decent rate'.

The team improved significantly in both years (including runaway ROY season) of Paolo. Not sure how that's not a winning player.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,790

Post#17 » by Skybox » Mon May 6, 2024 12:01 pm

Murray is my #1...the only one in a target-rich environment that would not only boost the offense but take the defense from "excellent" to best in the league.
Wolveswin
Head Coach
And1: 2,566

Post#18 » by Wolveswin » Mon May 6, 2024 12:07 pm

Fox and Trae are probably off the table and 100% offers would start with Wagner.

Simons is the answer. Blazers need/want rebuilding assets - that is what Magic have. Match made.

I would kick the tires on Cade Cunningham and Melo Ball. Start with rebuilding package (Black and Picks) but move to Wagner if needed - but with Wagner comes a package for Hornets (Mark Williams) and Pistons (Thompson and/or Stewart).
NotACat
Veteran
And1: 1,306

Post#19 » by NotACat » Mon May 6, 2024 12:48 pm

I would be targeting Trae, Donovan Mitchell, and Cade more than anyone else. I can't see Fox being moved and I'm not a believer in Dejonte Murray. I also think Trae's trade value may be lower than expected.

If they can't get one of them, McCollum should be the play. He would fit their culture well, is an incredible shooter, and would be an expiring contract next year to help facilitate a trade since this is their main offseason with cap space. They could probably gain assets taking on his contract as well which would also benefit them at the trade deadline.

Another player I can see them buying low on is Lonzo. If he's the player he was when he was healthy after rehabbing and getting back into the groove of things, he would be an absolute perfect fit for Orlando.
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 14,541

Post#20 » by BK_2020 » Mon May 6, 2024 1:17 pm

Skybox wrote:

I'm guessing you've seen maybe two ORL games this year? Paolo is an excellent passer-he led the team in assists and should have had a LOT more if ORL had guys that could knock down open 3's. For all of ORL's team-wide 3pt woes, they actually generate a very high number of open looks...that's all Paolo and Franz driving to the hoop and drawing fouls at a lot more than a 'decent rate'.

The team improved significantly in both years (including runaway ROY season) of Paolo. Not sure how that's not a winning player.

Orlando absolutely did not generate a very high number of open looks from three. This is a thing that can be quantified so don't go by your "eye-test."

Return to Trades and Transactions