What does OKC do this summer?

Moderators: loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe

jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,611

Re: What does OKC do this summer? 

Post#21 » by jbk1234 » Thu May 9, 2024 6:49 pm

Saul Goodman wrote:I think you have to put Giddey in a deal as his extension is coming up and he isn’t a great fit next to SGA. Something to Cleveland for Jarrett Allen? Two big talents in two bad situations. I think both guys can really break out on their new teams

Allen has already broken out and Giddey can't shoot. I don't see the Cavs being interested.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,553

Post#22 » by Kizz Fastfists » Thu May 9, 2024 6:54 pm

Let's start with the draft. Ideally they land Cody Williams. Not only is he the brother of Jalen, but he's 6'8 and can shoot. He has a chance to become a big 3&D player and another high quality role player.

They should extend some of the role players. Isaiah Joe and Aaron Wiggins are key contributors that need to be locked up.

As much as a trade for a player like Lauri, WCJ, Jabari Smith or another big that can stretch the floor would theoretically push them over the top I don't see it happening. It's not the type of move Presti has ever made and he will likely continue to horde assets and/or trade them for future picks. An example of this was the trade deadline deal where Presti gave away a 2024 draft pick for a future pick swap instead of using that pick in a deal for a useful player that would have fit the team like Olynyk.

Unlike most Thunder fans I'm upset about the lack of moves made in the off-season and up to the trade deadline. I also accept that we are past the part of the process where Presti is great. Presti is great at trading off veterans, tanking and drafting at the top of the draft to put together a great core. He's terrible at finishing off the roster and providing the needed role players. This team was poised to be a playoff team after their play-in games last season and they did nothing to improve the team. The idea that they should just sit on their hands and let the team take shot after shot at winning a championship because they are so young and talented has played out before in OKC when Russ, Harden, KD and Ibaka went to the Finals. All four of those players were younger than SGA is today that year. It never resulted in a championship. When you have the opportunity for a championship and your big move is to add an old, pathetic Gordan Hayward instead of a player that can help you win a championship I question your ability to actually finish the job.
"The secret to success is to offend the greatest number of people." -George Bernard Shaw
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 6,334

Post#23 » by Dadouv47 » Thu May 9, 2024 6:55 pm

Kizz Fastfists wrote:Let's start with the draft. Ideally they land Cody Williams. Not only is he the brother of Jalen, but he's 6'8 and can shoot. He has a chance to become a big 3&D player and another high quality role player.

They should extend some of the role players. Isaiah Joe and Aaron Wiggins are key contributors that need to be locked up.

As much as a trade for a player like Lauri, WCJ, Jabari Smith or another big that can stretch the floor would theoretically push them over the top I don't see it happening. It's not the type of move Presti has ever made and he will likely continue to horde assets and/or trade them for future picks. An example of this was the trade deadline deal where Presti gave away a 2024 draft pick for a future pick swap instead of using that pick in a deal for a useful player that would have fit the team like Olynyk.

Unlike most Thunder fans I'm upset about the lack of moves made in the off-season and up to the trade deadline. I also accept that we are past the part of the process where Presti is great. Presti is great at trading off veterans, tanking and drafting at the top of the draft to put together a great core. He's terrible at finishing off the roster and providing the needed role players. This team was poised to be a playoff team after their play-in games last season and they did nothing to improve the team. The idea that they should just sit on their hands and let the team take shot after shot at winning a championship because they are so young and talented has played out before in OKC when Russ, Harden, KD and Ibaka went to the Finals. All four of those players were younger than SGA is today that year. It never resulted in a championship. When you have the opportunity for a championship and your big move is to add an old, pathetic Gordan Hayward instead of a player that can help you win a championship I question your ability to actually finish the job.

I'm with you on Cody Williams. I wouldn't mind if Presti overpays to move up to get him. He would be a perfect fit.
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,158

Post#24 » by slick_watts » Thu May 9, 2024 7:01 pm

i'm not convinced cody williams can shoot or is good.
vxmike
Head Coach
And1: 4,062

Post#25 » by vxmike » Thu May 9, 2024 8:43 pm

Kizz Fastfists wrote:Let's start with the draft. Ideally they land Cody Williams. Not only is he the brother of Jalen, but he's 6'8 and can shoot. He has a chance to become a big 3&D player and another high quality role player.

Agree Presti is like the old guy who worked 50 years and did a great job saving money (picks) but then dies of old age before ever enjoying the wealth.

Picks go stale after you draft young guys and don’t have to minutes to develop them. He’s got to do something ASAP. A low usage rebounding C like Zubac or Hartenstein would make sense next to Chet. He might wait for that star that never becomes available or doesn’t want to play in OKC. Ainge will probably face the same problem in Utah.
Wolveswin
Head Coach
And1: 2,612

Post#26 » by Wolveswin » Thu May 9, 2024 9:00 pm

Naz Reid would be an amazing fit for OKC. I really can’t see Wolves trading with a OKC team whom they are about to face in WCF. But…

If Presti overpays so Wolves despite trading to conference foe “win the trade.” Wolves have motivation with money crunch and Reid deserving a starting role (which Wolves can’t give him with Towns on roster).

Reid + Moore Jr

FOR

Wallace + Dieng + Picks

Wallace would be perfect next to Edwards - assuming Wallace can develop as he learns from Conley. Flyer on Dieng, but a vet (Anderson back?) would be needed.
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 21,588

Post#27 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Thu May 9, 2024 9:03 pm

Wolveswin wrote:Naz Reid would be an amazing fit for OKC. I really can’t see Wolves trading with a OKC team whom they are about to face in WCF. But…

If Presti overpays so Wolves despite trading to conference foe “win the trade.” Wolves have motivation with money crunch and Reid deserving a starting role (which Wolves can’t give him with Towns on roster).

Reid + Moore Jr

FOR

Wallace + Dieng + Picks

Wallace would be perfect next to Edwards - assuming Wallace can develop as he learns from Conley. Flyer on Dieng, but a vet (Anderson back?) would be needed.

OKC wouldn’t want to give Minny Cason for the same reason. And definitely wouldn’t improve Minny’s limited asset pool by overpaying. No matter how solid Naz is fit wise.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 8,001

Post#28 » by BlazersBroncos » Thu May 9, 2024 9:24 pm

Ya - Naz is a great fit but OKC and MIN are looking like competitors against each other in the West for the foreseeable future so I dont see any deals made between them anytime soon.

Also dont see OKC moving Cason unless its a Lauri, KAT level upgrade.

I am so in on trying to pry Herb Jones out of NO - wonder if this would work -

OKC OUT - Josh Giddey + #12 + 2025 MIA FRP (LP / UNP)
OKC IN - Herb Jones

ATL OUT - Dejounte Murray
ATL IN - Josh Giddey + #12 + 2025 MIA FRP (LP / UNP)

NO OUT - Herb Jones
NO IN - Dejounte Murray

Then make a move for a backup big - I will go away from my constant WCJ spamming and suggest a Dieng + some SRP for Zach Collins deal.

G - Shai Gilgeous-Alexander / Cason Wallace
G - Lou Dort / Isaiah Joe / Aaron Wiggins
F - Jalen Williams / Aaron Wiggins / Kenrich Williams
F - Herb Jones / Kenrich Williams / Zach Collins
C - Chet Holmgren / Zach Collins / Jaylin Williams
Pipp33
Rookie
And1: 664

Post#29 » by Pipp33 » Thu May 9, 2024 10:23 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
Saul Goodman wrote:I think you have to put Giddey in a deal as his extension is coming up and he isn’t a great fit next to SGA. Something to Cleveland for Jarrett Allen? Two big talents in two bad situations. I think both guys can really break out on their new teams

Allen has already broken out and Giddey can't shoot. I don't see the Cavs being interested.

I don't think the trade idea is good...but this narrative that Giddey can't shoot is getting out of hand.

He definitely needs to keep working on his shot and it's got a way to go, but he has shown improvement and is at least willing to shoot when open. He just came off a playoff series where he shot 50% from 3.

His FT form has improved this year and he's 80% from the line this season (small sample though)....AND he's 21.

His played nearly all of this season in a completely unfamiliar role that does not suit his game and has just got on with the job...no whining.

If he gets a chance on another team (I think Spurs would be ideal and Wizards would be interesting as well), I think he really takes the next step.
Sometimes a player's greatest challenge is coming to grips with his role on the team
Devilanche
Head Coach
And1: 1,631

Post#30 » by Devilanche » Thu May 9, 2024 11:23 pm

slick_watts wrote:i'm not convinced cody williams can shoot or is good.

I don’t think he will be ready anytime soon which is what we need.

If we go back in time .

Previously Presti move JG - Jeff Green.
Now he need move JG - Josh Giddey.

There was a ready in house replacement called Ibaka.
We probably have a ready in house replacement called Dieng.

When we moved Green, we took on Perkins.
We just need move for a way better target than Perkins now.

Way way way way better.
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:No I’m myopic and shortsighted and I want my pile of draft picks.
Wolveswin
Head Coach

Post#31 » by Wolveswin » Fri May 10, 2024 3:50 am

MoneyTalks41890 wrote:
Wolveswin wrote:Naz Reid would be an amazing fit for OKC. I really can’t see Wolves trading with a OKC team whom they are about to face in WCF. But…

Reid + Moore Jr

FOR

Wallace + Dieng + Picks

OKC wouldn’t want to give Minny Cason for the same reason. And definitely wouldn’t improve Minny’s limited asset pool by overpaying. No matter how solid Naz is fit wise.

Then no deal. Wolves can find a taker for Reid that isn’t trading with division foe.
R-DAWG
RealGM
And1: 5,045

Post#32 » by R-DAWG » Sat May 11, 2024 5:54 pm

How about Mitchell Robinson into cap space for a future 1st. Similar value to what WAS got for Gafford for the Knicks who would be pushing up against the 2nd apron bringing back Hartenstein and Mitch.

OKC gets more size on a declining 2 year
Godaddycurse
RealGM
And1: 10,503

Post#33 » by Godaddycurse » Sat May 11, 2024 5:59 pm

R-DAWG wrote:How about Mitchell Robinson into cap space for a future 1st. Similar value to what WAS got for Gafford for the Knicks who would be pushing up against the 2nd apron bringing back Hartenstein and Mitch.

not sure teams will take him into capspace alone, let alone add a pick. They are better off going after Claxton if they want a traditional 5
Mr Loggins
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,431

Post#34 » by Mr Loggins » Sat May 11, 2024 7:10 pm

Wolveswin wrote:Be patient.

Presti has his eye on like 3x stars to become available. Similar in age to SGA or younger. Once any amount of blood drops in the water, he will make a massive offer - on paper will be mind boggling.

would okc pay all these stars?
R-DAWG
RealGM
And1: 5,045

Post#35 » by R-DAWG » Sat May 11, 2024 7:59 pm

Godaddycurse wrote:
R-DAWG wrote:How about Mitchell Robinson into cap space for a future 1st. Similar value to what WAS got for Gafford for the Knicks who would be pushing up against the 2nd apron bringing back Hartenstein and Mitch.

not sure teams will take him into capspace alone, let alone add a pick. They are better off going after Claxton if they want a traditional 5

Claxton is going to be much more expensive than Robinson.
Godaddycurse
RealGM
And1: 10,503

Post#36 » by Godaddycurse » Sat May 11, 2024 8:30 pm

R-DAWG wrote:
Godaddycurse wrote:

Claxton is going to be much more expensive than Robinson.

Thats fine/better than spending a pick on Robinson. They are in no risk of the tax for 2 more years
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,683

Post#37 » by jayjaysee » Sat May 11, 2024 9:04 pm

I know I ran with OKC needs a center and front loading Claxton, but if I’m paying for a player in trade - it’s a big four not a center.

OKC could use a strong backup center for matchups sure.. But Chet is already a center. Not investing any decent asset in his backup.
Dan Z
RealGM
And1: 7,302

Post#38 » by Dan Z » Sat May 11, 2024 9:18 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:Ya - Naz is a great fit but OKC and MIN are looking like competitors against each other in the West for the foreseeable future so I dont see any deals made between them anytime soon.

Also dont see OKC moving Cason unless its a Lauri, KAT level upgrade.

I am so in on trying to pry Herb Jones out of NO - wonder if this would work -

OKC OUT - Josh Giddey + #12 + 2025 MIA FRP (LP / UNP)
OKC IN - Herb Jones

ATL OUT - Dejounte Murray
ATL IN - Josh Giddey + #12 + 2025 MIA FRP (LP / UNP)

NO OUT - Herb Jones
NO IN - Dejounte Murray

Then make a move for a backup big - I will go away from my constant WCJ spamming and suggest a Dieng + some SRP for Zach Collins deal.

G - Shai Gilgeous-Alexander / Cason Wallace
G - Lou Dort / Isaiah Joe / Aaron Wiggins
F - Jalen Williams / Aaron Wiggins / Kenrich Williams
F - Herb Jones / Kenrich Williams / Zach Collins
C - Chet Holmgren / Zach Collins / Jaylin Williams

The issue with that trade is Atlanta. Why would they want Giddey? Trae plus Giddey as their backcourt isn't a good idea. Or would Giddey be Trae's back up?

Atlanta already has #10 in this draft. More picks are always good to have, but I'm not sure if they need #12 too....at least not for Dejounte (I know they also get Miami's 2025 pick...I'm not sure how enticing that is).
Dan Z
RealGM
And1: 7,302

Post#39 » by Dan Z » Sat May 11, 2024 9:20 pm

I thought OKC should've gone after Alex Caruso at the trade deadline, but I'm have my doubts that Chicago was willing to listen to offers. Now that Caruso only has one year left on his deal it's better for OKC to look for someone else.
Wolveswin
Head Coach

Post#40 » by Wolveswin » Sat May 11, 2024 11:58 pm

Mr Loggins wrote:
Wolveswin wrote:Be patient.

Presti has his eye on like 3x stars to become available. Similar in age to SGA or younger. Once any amount of blood drops in the water, he will make a massive offer - on paper will be mind boggling.

would okc pay all these stars?

Yes. SGA when he needs his new contract is only money problem heading OKC way. 2nd rookie contract max contracts are not cap killers. It’s the 3rd+ that gives teams problems.

Return to Trades and Transactions