[Wojnarowski]: Vogel Fired

Moderators: loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe

codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 4,546

Re: [Wojnarowski]: Vogel Fired 

Post#21 » by codydaze » Thu May 9, 2024 9:45 pm

Kings have an opening on the bench after Brooklyn hired Jordi so hopefully we can get him in as our new top assistant.
NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,673

Post#22 » by NYG » Thu May 9, 2024 10:58 pm

Honestly these frequent firings make me think there's like 5 coaches that actually make any difference in the NBA and just changing the coach is something to sell when you're painted into a corner transaction-wise.
Devilanche
Head Coach
And1: 1,638

Post#23 » by Devilanche » Thu May 9, 2024 11:19 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:Man Vogel has been the scapegoat three times now in fairly short order. Tough gig.

Perspective .

It mean he got paid 3 times. Not a bad gig.

I guess GM chats are also kinda zone on him when they want to hire a fall guy down the line.
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:No I’m myopic and shortsighted and I want my pile of draft picks.
tester551
Assistant Coach
And1: 858

Post#24 » by tester551 » Thu May 9, 2024 11:20 pm

NYG wrote:Honestly these frequent firings make me think there's like 5 coaches that actually make any difference in the NBA and just changing the coach is something to sell when you're painted into a corner transaction-wise.

Completely agree.

Coaching will amplify the last 5% to maybe 10%, but this league is predicated on talent.

Most will agree that Pop is a top coach... yet completely ignore that the last 3 years his win % is sub 0.35
OxAndFox
Analyst
And1: 2,174

Post#25 » by OxAndFox » Thu May 9, 2024 11:23 pm

codydaze wrote:Kings have an opening on the bench after Brooklyn hired Jordi so hopefully we can get him in as our new top assistant.

Absolutely! Come run the D for the Kings Franky boy.

What a horrible decision again by the Suns. These franchises that hire and fire so quickly need to be looking at themselves and their process to hire said coaches. The same exact thing is going to happen if they hire Bud and walk this roster back.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,456

Post#26 » by babyjax13 » Thu May 9, 2024 11:47 pm

I don't think Vogel is a very good coach and that LA won despite having him as a couch, not because of it.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
Slim Charless
RealGM
And1: 6,320

Post#27 » by Slim Charless » Thu May 9, 2024 11:57 pm

tester551 wrote:
NYG wrote:Honestly these frequent firings make me think there's like 5 coaches that actually make any difference in the NBA and just changing the coach is something to sell when you're painted into a corner transaction-wise.

Completely agree.

Coaching will amplify the last 5% to maybe 10%, but this league is predicated on talent.

Most will agree that Pop is a top coach... yet completely ignore that the last 3 years his win % is sub 0.35

I think most agree that Spo is probably the most elite at the moment. Despite losing to Boston, I would be hard pressed to find a better coach currently.

I'm shocked that Chris Quinn is still not been hired.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 90,133

Post#28 » by Texas Chuck » Fri May 10, 2024 12:21 am

Devilanche wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:Man Vogel has been the scapegoat three times now in fairly short order. Tough gig.

Perspective .

It mean he got paid 3 times. Not a bad gig.

I guess GM chats are also kinda zone on him when they want to hire a fall guy down the line.

Oh financially he does well, though I don't know if there are coaching offsets or if he doubles up. Either way at this point my guess is he would rather have a head coaching job more than another $25M. But I could be wrong. Still he's got plenty of money now but there are only 30 of those so....
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,903

Post#29 » by gswhoops » Fri May 10, 2024 6:07 am

The NBA is just going to be Vogel, Bud, and Doc playing musical chairs with underperforming contenders for the next 10 years
BoogieTime
Head Coach
And1: 2,785

Post#30 » by BoogieTime » Fri May 10, 2024 1:20 pm

hes not getting another head coaching job
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,903

Post#31 » by gswhoops » Fri May 10, 2024 5:02 pm

BoogieTime wrote:hes not getting another head coaching job

Meh, I'd bet in a year or two he gets another shot when some underperforming contender (or wanna be contender) fires their coach. Memories are short and hope springs eternal.

I didn't think Doc would be able to trick another team into giving him the top spot and yet here we are.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,832

Post#32 » by Skybox » Fri May 10, 2024 6:12 pm

babyjax13 wrote:I don't think Vogel is a very good coach and that LA won despite having him as a couch, not because of it.

Agree. He just stayed out of LBJ's way.

When Scott Skiles quit on ORL, and Vogel suddenly became, inexplicably, available...I was psyched. He was a big nothing in ORL. Awful performance, even defensively, which was supposed to be his forte. ORL threw away young guys like Oladipo and the Sabonis pick to give Vogel his big monstrous rim protectors. They signed Biyombo to a huge overpay to be his nightmare in the middle, while soon to be All-Star Vucevic rotted on the bench.

Just a dark period in ORL decision-making, personnel decisions, and playing time decisions.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Post#33 » by pacers33granger » Fri May 10, 2024 11:00 pm

Vogels been both lucky and unlucky in his coaching career.

He worked hard as an assistant and earned the Pacers job, but he was lucky in coming into an up and coming team with low expectations from the coach after Jim Obrien. He was a great voice and motivator for those teams while doing a good job working the refs and utilizing verticality. Then he was unlucky when the team started imploding and Bird blamed coaches voices dissipating after a few seasons.

I think he earned the nor in Orlando. He did not do well there though and showed an inability to adapt. Not having Dan Burke seemed like an issue. That firing seems more on his performance.

He lucked into the LA job. But he did a good job even if you think he basically just let LeBron do what he does. Still won a title. But then got scapegoated for bad roster moves.

He kinda lucked into the Phoenix job, probably because of the fact he won a title though he also, again, deserves credit for the win. Super unlucky in the roster he was given.

Overall he's had a lot better career than I would've expected. He's generally solid, a B tier coach but little upside and some decent chances of downside.

I don't think he gets another head coaching gig. He's almost certainly not going to be a contenders choice at this point and he's not a developmental coach. He'll be a good lead assistant somewhere.

Sent from my SM-S901U using RealGM mobile app

Return to Trades and Transactions