Mavs/Blazers/(Warriors?)

Moderators: loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe

Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 90,160

Mavs/Blazers/(Warriors?) 

Post#1 » by Texas Chuck » Sat May 11, 2024 3:05 pm

So the Warrior part of this is easily removed. I have Kleber as negative trade value but Portland not caring to pay something to dump him on GSW. So if GSW doesn't want him simply remove them. But I thought they might so...

Deal happens after draft when 25 1st comes open for Dallas

Mavs trade: THJ/Kleber/Powell/25 1st (top 1 then 25 TOR 2nd)
Mavs get: Grant

Blazers trade: Grant
Blazers get: THJ/Looney/Powell/25 DAL 1st (top 1, then 25 TOR 2nd)

GSW trades: Looney
GSW gets: Kleber

So if the Warriors stay they would do this to get a more mobile, theoretical spacer to pair with their 2nd year center.

Blazers get a first for Grant and either only have the $4M of Powell after next year or potentially $15M of Powell/Kleber

Mavs go get another forward to pair with Washington and gives them that 3rd scorer they lack. They get super expensive if they retain Kyrie beyond next year, but that's tomorrow's problem.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Astaluego
Junior
And1: 143

Re: Mavs/Blazers/(Warriors?) 

Post#2 » by Astaluego » Sat May 11, 2024 3:10 pm

I would agree with this for the Mavs
Old Mike Lorenzo
Myth
General Manager
And1: 8,627

Post#3 » by Myth » Sat May 11, 2024 3:48 pm

The value is not ideal but palatable, but I think the biggest problem with this from Portland’s perspective is this that even though it saves long term money, it adds money next season, and cutting short term salary for next season is speculated to be one of the bigger goals. This would then make them more desperate for follow up moves that are harder to swallow. If Powell or something were cut out of the deal, then I think Portland takes it, but as is, I don’t think the pick is enticing enough to take on any additional immediate salary, while a trade for long term savings is something they have patience to do later.
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,696

Post#4 » by jayjaysee » Sat May 11, 2024 4:29 pm

Myth wrote:The value is not ideal but palatable, but I think the biggest problem with this from Portland’s perspective is this that even though it saves long term money, it adds money next season, and cutting short term salary for next season is speculated to be one of the bigger goals. This would then make them more desperate for follow up moves that are harder to swallow. If Powell or something were cut out of the deal, then I think Portland takes it, but as is, I don’t think the pick is enticing enough to take on any additional immediate salary, while a trade for long term savings is something they have patience to do later.

This doesn’t add salary next year?

Looney, THJ, and Powell combine for less salary than Grant..

There’s a few names I’d go after before Grant for Dallas, but I do this after a few calls?

If it’s done without Golden State, I assume Powell could just be kept in Dallas?
Godaddycurse
RealGM
And1: 10,519

Post#5 » by Godaddycurse » Sat May 11, 2024 4:31 pm

if GSW declines, then it should be both 2025 1st and 2025 2nd going to Portland to eat Kleber's extra year, w/ the 25 1st becoming future 2nds instead
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board

Post#6 » by jayjaysee » Sat May 11, 2024 4:37 pm

Godaddycurse wrote:if GSW declines, then it should be both 2025 1st and 2025 2nd going to Portland to eat Kleber's extra year, w/ the 25 1st becoming future 2nds instead

I kind of think it has to be that with or without Golden State. But also…Portland is turning 133 million into 38 million.
Texas Chuck
And1: 90,160

Post#7 » by Texas Chuck » Sat May 11, 2024 4:38 pm

Godaddycurse wrote:if GSW declines, then it should be both 2025 1st and 2025 2nd going to Portland to eat Kleber's extra year, w/ the 25 1st becoming future 2nds instead

I mean I'm never going to kill a deal over a 2nd round pick, but I have the amount of money they are moving so much bigger than the money they take on, I don't have Dallas owing them anything for Kleber. They save a little this year(Especially when min salaries are added for the 2 extra roster spots filled here), would save half his contract the following year, then get out of the last 2(and riskiest) years.

But you guys know I think this kind of double counting is wrong, but I am very much in the minority on that for reasons I'll never understand. :D
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board

Post#8 » by jayjaysee » Sat May 11, 2024 4:48 pm

Also, I’d always rather Golden State pay for Grant and Dallas pay a second for Wiggins.. and I’d offer both Dallas’ firsts for Kuminga. But that’s just random bad ideas.
Astaluego
Junior
And1: 143

Post#9 » by Astaluego » Sat May 11, 2024 4:53 pm

I think the Clippers would trade Tucker (expiring) for Maxi... that prevents the Blazers from eating the extra year
Old Mike Lorenzo
Village Idiot
General Manager
And1: 2,013

Post#10 » by Village Idiot » Sat May 11, 2024 5:08 pm

I don't see Portland wanting to fill its roster with veterans at the expense of the recent and upcoming draft picks. The Dallas pick being very lightly protected has some appeal, but route the players elsewhere to make it workable.
"There are no right answers to wrong questions." - Ursula K. Le Guin
Myth
General Manager

Post#11 » by Myth » Sat May 11, 2024 5:16 pm

jayjaysee wrote:
Myth wrote:The value is not ideal but palatable, but I think the biggest problem with this from Portland’s perspective is this that even though it saves long term money, it adds money next season, and cutting short term salary for next season is speculated to be one of the bigger goals. This would then make them more desperate for follow up moves that are harder to swallow. If Powell or something were cut out of the deal, then I think Portland takes it, but as is, I don’t think the pick is enticing enough to take on any additional immediate salary, while a trade for long term savings is something they have patience to do later.

There’s a few names I’d go after before Grant for Dallas, but I do this after a few calls?

If it’s done without Golden State, I assume Powell could just be kept in Dallas?

My bad, I think I mixed up the contracts of Looney and Kleber when I looked up the alternative option. So I’ll change my tune on this one. It is fine. I still see if there is a more enticing pick out there before agreeing to it, but this works for me if not.
Myth
General Manager

Post#12 » by Myth » Sat May 11, 2024 5:23 pm

Village Idiot wrote:I don't see Portland wanting to fill its roster with veterans at the expense of the recent and upcoming draft picks. The Dallas pick being very lightly protected has some appeal, but route the players elsewhere to make it workable.

Oh, 100% Blazers need follow up after this as they would have 2 goals: They still need to reduce salary and as you mentioned, they’ll need roster spots for draft picks. This is where Dallas would need to be adding 2nds if Portland takes Kleber instead of Looney, because they will need to pay somebody in picks or something to take a bad contract off the books.
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board

Post#13 » by jayjaysee » Sat May 11, 2024 5:29 pm

Myth wrote:
jayjaysee wrote:

My bad, I think I mixed up the contracts of Looney and Kleber when I looked up the alternative option. So I’ll change my tune on this one. It is fine. I still see if there is a more enticing pick out there before agreeing to it, but this works for me if not.

I would wonder if there’s a team that takes Looney and THJ and sends back a useless 20-22 million to help Portland save more. Looney looks mostly broken, but maybe an offseason and playing less center/minutes in genera could get him to be a reliable 4th big who plays big minutes for a few games that do matter..

Not looking for anything special, but Lonzo Ball type. Would think a minor asset gets back. Or something less terrible.

But you could just trade your vets that have value and keep these new less talented vets to be the adults in the room..
Lenneth
Rookie
And1: 1,796

Post#14 » by Lenneth » Sat May 11, 2024 5:53 pm

Yeah, cut the Warriors out of the deal. No way they are taking Kleber and his 2 years/22 mils remaining salary. While Warriors won't mind having a stretch big, they always get them from a minimum. And, they definitely want to go under the luxury tax to reset the penalty, which means they won't take any large contract unless they have to.
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,103

Post#15 » by daoneandonly » Sat May 11, 2024 5:58 pm

Jerami Grant has a solid case for worst contract in the league. He also seems quite content with losing, don't think Mavs should entertain trading a first for him
Andre 2999
Sixth Man
And1: 50

Post#16 » by Andre 2999 » Sat May 11, 2024 6:26 pm

daoneandonly wrote:Jerami Grant has a solid case for worst contract in the league. He also seems quite content with losing, don't think Mavs should entertain trading a first for him

The cap is about to increase 2.5x. Pretty soon, I think Grant's contract will look a lot more reasonable.
Godaddycurse
RealGM
And1: 10,519

Post#17 » by Godaddycurse » Sat May 11, 2024 6:37 pm

Andre 2999 wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:Jerami Grant has a solid case for worst contract in the league. He also seems quite content with losing, don't think Mavs should entertain trading a first for him

The cap is about to increase 2.5x. Pretty soon, I think Grant's contract will look a lot more reasonable.

2.5x?? its going up by like 5M only next yr
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 14,763

Post#18 » by BK_2020 » Sat May 11, 2024 7:00 pm

THJ is negative value.
Apz
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,038

Post#19 » by Apz » Sat May 11, 2024 7:19 pm

BK_2020 wrote:THJ is negative value.

Depends who trades for him. Will be expiring
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 14,763

Post#20 » by BK_2020 » Sat May 11, 2024 7:22 pm

Apz wrote:
BK_2020 wrote:THJ is negative value.

Depends who trades for him. Will be expiring

Expiring contracts haven't been valuable since the NBA limited contracts to max 5 years and 80% of NBA contracts are less than 3 years. An expiring is definitely not useful for the Blazers. They either want immediate salary relief to get under the tax or someone who can be flipped for a pick.

Return to Trades and Transactions