Bad idea for Dallas number 2? Bridges

Moderators: loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe

jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,697

Bad idea for Dallas number 2? Bridges 

Post#1 » by jayjaysee » Sun May 12, 2024 4:38 pm

THJ, Powell, Dallas 2025 first (top 4 protected, one time shot) for Bridges

Charlotte gets a first for Bridges and gives Miller more responsibility. THJ would play some minutes and they’ll likely draft Sarr or a forward this year.

Dallas pretends nothing is wrong. Locks Bridges up on a four year deal with a lot of UNG money hopefully and try him out as the third option they need.

Bridges gets to play with PJ again. And next to two superstars and hopefully make the finals.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,858

Re: Bad idea for Dallas number 2? Bridges 

Post#2 » by Skybox » Sun May 12, 2024 4:42 pm

Bridges is the kind of player that some contender will steal because non-contenders don't have enough incentive to take the PR hit/uncertainty. He's a real difference-maker that could have everybody watching next May going "damn, we should have..."

I'm guessing LAL, but I'd like it to be DAL, if they can cobble together a deal...I'm not sure that's enough unless nobody else makes a move.
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board

Post#3 » by jayjaysee » Sun May 12, 2024 4:47 pm

Skybox wrote:...I'm not sure that's enough unless nobody else makes a move.

He’s an UFA.

If he told Charlotte he was signing with Detroit if they didn’t trade him to “LAL”, Charlotte would end up with minimal value. The first is here because they don’t want THJ and Powell and don’t need to help Dallas. Say 1-3 seconds for helping Dallas and 1-3 seconds for eating the salary they don’t want? But combine it, it’s a first? maybe I’m off.
Godaddycurse
RealGM
And1: 10,541

Post#4 » by Godaddycurse » Sun May 12, 2024 4:48 pm

what contract are you paying bridges?
Skybox
RealGM

Post#5 » by Skybox » Sun May 12, 2024 4:51 pm

jayjaysee wrote:

He’s an UFA.

If he told Charlotte he was signing with Detroit if they didn’t trade him to “LAL”, Charlotte would end up with minimal value. The first is here because they don’t want THJ and Powell and don’t need to help Dallas. Say 1-3 seconds for helping Dallas and 1-3 seconds for eating the salary they don’t want? But combine it, it’s a first? maybe I’m off.

I'm thinking SnT...none of the contenders have cap space to sign him, unless the market is so frightened that a 20ppg, young inside/out scorer has to settle for an MLE. Of the cap space teams, only DET really makes sense to me, fit-wise.
Godaddycurse
RealGM

Post#6 » by Godaddycurse » Sun May 12, 2024 4:55 pm

Skybox wrote:
jayjaysee wrote:

He’s an UFA.

I'm thinking SnT...none of the contenders have cap space to sign him, unless the market is so frightened that a 20ppg, young inside/out scorer has to settle for an MLE. Of the cap space teams, only DET really makes sense to me, fit-wise.

OKC and Philly have capspace to sign him
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board

Post#7 » by jayjaysee » Sun May 12, 2024 4:57 pm

Godaddycurse wrote:what contract are you paying bridges?

THJ and Powell can get him to a maximum 22 first year I believe, believe it’s limited to 110% matching since Dallas will be under first apron but over the tax?

If he deserves 25 mil, you can throw in Prosper and maybe get a future mid/late second back.
Godaddycurse
RealGM

Post#8 » by Godaddycurse » Sun May 12, 2024 5:01 pm

jayjaysee wrote:

THJ and Powell can get him to a maximum 22 first year I believe, believe it’s limited to 110% matching since Dallas will be under first apron but over the tax?

If he deserves 25 mil, you can throw in Prosper and maybe get a future mid/late second back.

Will be interesting to see what he gets this offseason. Not surprised if a team like detroit or philly throw a big front loader deal at him
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board

Post#9 » by jayjaysee » Sun May 12, 2024 5:04 pm

Godaddycurse wrote:
jayjaysee wrote:

Will be interesting to see what he gets this offseason. Not surprised if a team like detroit or philly throw a big front loader deal at him

Yeah, Philly using cap space to sign Bridges feels like it would be a pretty big failure for them, no?

Renouncing cap holds and losing depth just for a nonstar

But maybe there’s a Harris out Bridges in deal that could make sense and let Philly keep Buddy/Melton and whoever else along with at least the taxMLE
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board

Post#10 » by jayjaysee » Sun May 12, 2024 5:08 pm

Skybox wrote:
jayjaysee wrote:

He’s an UFA.

Yeah, he’s an interesting one. Detroit makes the most sense to me as well. They just need to do anything.

But having Detorit around, means he’ll likely get to whatever team he wants to that can pay him. Charlotte shouldn’t let him sign with Detroit and spite themselves.. Charlotte might just top whatever offer he gets though if he just wants money... Ball/Miller/Williams mean Charlotte isn’t that far away if they can just stay healthy and Miller continues to develop.

But could also see him being limited to MLE type deals and Charlotte keeping him on like a 3yr54 with some unguaranteed money.
Skybox
RealGM

Post#11 » by Skybox » Sun May 12, 2024 5:11 pm

jayjaysee wrote:
Godaddycurse wrote:
jayjaysee wrote:

Yeah, Philly using cap space to sign Bridges feels like it would be a pretty big failure for them, no?

Renouncing cap holds and losing depth just for a nonstar

But maybe there’s a Harris out Bridges in deal that could make sense and let Philly keep Buddy/Melton and whoever else along with at least the taxMLE

Honestly, unless DET goes nuts for Harris, he could realistically re-sign in PHI for half of his crazy salary and they could add Bridges...assuming PHI doesn't nail Paul George, Lebron, Siakim-level score.
Astaluego
Junior
And1: 161

Post#12 » by Astaluego » Sun May 12, 2024 5:47 pm

jayjaysee wrote:

Maybe I'm wrong but I think we value O-Max, his development in the G-league has been as good as expected or even better, if he is not valued accordingly, we would like to keep him... although I could be wrong... I want To think that he was selected for his size and tools, especially for his defense, the doubts were his offensive rawness, the boy has responded well, he has even been hitting the 3 in a good percentage
Old Mike Lorenzo
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,112

Post#13 » by daoneandonly » Sun May 12, 2024 6:03 pm

Character has to count, Miles doesn't have it, I'd steer clear
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 90,227

Post#14 » by Texas Chuck » Sun May 12, 2024 9:54 pm

Does Bridges agree to the kind of contract you want him to sign if Detroit really is offering him a big contract? I think he does sign a contract like that, but I think its because he can't get any other kind.

Similar idea to my Grant idea. Cheaper financially, but riskier with the off court stuff.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board

Post#15 » by jayjaysee » Sun May 12, 2024 10:08 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:Does Bridges agree to the kind of contract you want him to sign if Detroit really is offering him a big contract? I think he does sign a contract like that, but I think its because he can't get any other kind.

Similar idea to my Grant idea. Cheaper financially, but riskier with the off court stuff.

Yeah, that’s fair. If Detroit is offering a real 90-100 million, why take Dallas’ maybe 90 million. If Dallas is offering 100 with a lot of UNG money if future seasons, but Detroit offering 90? Is it worth it?

The UNG would not be based off “games played” as that’s not fair to the potential of injury.. but maybe he would agree to come to Dallas for similar 4 year contract that Detroit is offering, if it was some clause only for legal trouble/suspensions and the first two years were fully guaranteed?

Only being halfway sarcastic.
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,595

Post#16 » by HornetJail » Sun May 12, 2024 11:32 pm

I think Dallas should attach their remaining picks and go after the other Bridges, who fits the Luka/Kyrie backcourt a couple orders of magnitude better.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board

Post#17 » by jayjaysee » Sun May 12, 2024 11:49 pm

HornetJail wrote:I think Dallas should attach their remaining picks and go after the other Bridges, who fits the Luka/Kyrie backcourt a couple orders of magnitude better.

That has to include Lively and picks?

I love the fit, just Dallas needs to be bargain shopping and hoping things work out really. That’s why it’s Grant or UFA Bridges.
Apz
Head Coach
And1: 2,069

Post#18 » by Apz » Sun May 12, 2024 11:56 pm

Cant see mavs want to deal with that bridges
luciano-davidwesley
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,272

Post#19 » by luciano-davidwesley » Tue May 14, 2024 3:40 am