Bad Dallas idea: maybe v1? Chicago/Portland

Moderators: loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe

jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,696

Bad Dallas idea: maybe v1? Chicago/Portland 

Post#1 » by jayjaysee » Sun May 12, 2024 3:48 pm

Chicago should blow it up. But they won’t.

Chicago: Ball, Caruso, Portland first
Chicago: Grant, Jabari Walker, 2028 Miami 2nd

Chicago brings in a vet forward. Maybe they start Demar/Zach at the guards. Maybe Coby was too good to bring off the bench and you bring Patrick off the bench and start Coby/Lavine/Demar/Grant/Vooch. Either way. Duck the tax and get the play-in..

Portland: Jerami Grant, Malcom Brogdon, Jabari Walker
Portland: Tim Hardaway Jr, Lonzo Ball, Maxi, 2025 Dallas first, 2025 Portland first, 2025 Toronto 2nd

Portland can feel like they got a first each for Grant and Brogdon, while saving 6~ million in 2024 and probably 100 million in future years.. Most of the work to duck the tax in 2024 is done.

Dallas: Tim Hardaway Jr, Maxi Kleber, 2025 Dallas first (top 4 protected just in case), 2025 Toronto 2nd, 2028 Miami 2nd
Dallas: Brogdon, Caruso

Dallas upgrades two of their biggest needs. It’s a short window and then has to be a big retool around Luka with very limited assets, but maybe it is a real window. Hope DJJ sticks around on a 1+1po for the taxmle and you’ve got a group that can match up with anyone if Luka/Kyrie are healthy. Both guys being expirings sort of works for Dallas in this case as there’s always a chance Kyrie changes his feelings on Luka and moves to LA next summer..
Godaddycurse
RealGM
And1: 10,537

Re: Bad Dallas idea: maybe v1? Chicago/Portland 

Post#2 » by Godaddycurse » Sun May 12, 2024 3:50 pm

If Bulls are not blowing it up then they should be doing something like Ball/Carter/11 for Grant + 2nds/minor value or something instead of trading away Caruso. This seems like a halfway measure that doesn't make sense
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,625

Post#3 » by JRoy » Sun May 12, 2024 4:01 pm

This is kind of a weird deal.

I think Balls contract is covered by insurance but not if he is traded to another team
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board

Post#4 » by jayjaysee » Sun May 12, 2024 4:12 pm

JRoy wrote:This is kind of a weird deal.

I think Balls contract is covered by insurance but not if he is traded to another team

Yeah, but Chicago needs to get better and due to LaVine’s true max, they’re pretty limited on wiggling under the tax. Think they have to move on from Ball in order to add another starting level player.
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board

Post#5 » by jayjaysee » Sun May 12, 2024 4:15 pm

Godaddycurse wrote:If Bulls are not blowing it up then they should be doing something like Ball/Carter/11 for Grant + 2nds/minor value or something instead of trading away Caruso. This seems like a halfway measure that doesn't make sense

Either one is a halfway measure.. Seems like halfway measure is the plan?

If not, Coby would be the one moved.

Keeping Coby, Ayo, 11th, and Patrick gives the fans something to believe in when Demar decline comes.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 90,221

Post#6 » by Texas Chuck » Sun May 12, 2024 9:57 pm

Not sure Dallas needs two guards like this? But I guess the idea is Luka plays forward defensively full time and so its a ton of 3 guard lineups again, probably even some 4 guard lineups.

Not sure I'd move Maxi, and all the picks for two expiring guards.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board

Post#7 » by jayjaysee » Sun May 12, 2024 10:21 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:Not sure I'd move Maxi, and all the picks for two expiring guards.

The expirings here were halfway intentional honestly, just was trying something.. leaves Dallas with the ability to pretty easily have max cap space to retool around Lively/PJ/Luka if things go poorly in 18 months.. if Kyrie sticks around, overpay Caruso and/or Brogdon as free agents.

But was picturing a lot of 3 guard rotations as Caruso is capable of guarding whoever Luka shouldn’t.. Plenty of missed games between Brogdon, Luka, and Kyrie.

It might be overkill, but think Dallas would be pretty balanced as Luka is the point guard but doesn't defend it..
Texas Chuck
And1: 90,221

Post#8 » by Texas Chuck » Sun May 12, 2024 10:27 pm

jayjaysee wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:Not sure I'd move Maxi, and all the picks for two expiring guards.

The expirings here were halfway intentional honestly, just was trying something.. leaves Dallas with the ability to pretty easily have max cap space to retool around Lively/PJ/Luka if things go poorly in 18 months.. if Kyrie sticks around, overpay Caruso and/or Brogdon as free agents.

But was picturing a lot of 3 guard rotations as Caruso is capable of guarding whoever Luka shouldn’t.. Plenty of missed games between Brogdon, Luka, and Kyrie.

It might be overkill, but think Dallas would be pretty balanced as Luka is the point guard but doesn't defend it..

Yeah its definitely fine. I'm just enjoying Dallas being the big team for really the first time since the title team. It's a bunch of big athletic guys and Kyrie in the rotation. But Luka's size and rebounding means he can essentially be the PF on defense.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
realEAST
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,312

Post#9 » by realEAST » Sun May 12, 2024 11:01 pm

Nice deal, Grant to Bulls is a nice wrinkle to get Chicago more enaged regarding moving Caruso.

For Dallas losing Maxi stings a bit, but with Caruso it should work out defensively I guess. Maybe Dallas can give Powell, take Walke
ChettheJet
Head Coach
And1: 1,941

Post#10 » by ChettheJet » Sun May 12, 2024 11:53 pm

No way, there's probably no way for the Bulls to avoid paying the luxury tax just with the stating lineup. DeRozan probably wants 3 years so he, Grant, Lavine are all around for that long and Vucevic 2 years.

repeating, No way
Myth
General Manager
And1: 8,628

Post#11 » by Myth » Mon May 13, 2024 1:26 am

Take Jabari out and I do it. He’s worked his value up to a late first on his own.
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board

Post#12 » by jayjaysee » Mon May 13, 2024 1:40 am

Myth wrote:Take Jabari out and I do it. He’s worked his value up to a late first on his own.

Could be subbed in for any of them. Didn’t watch Portland much last year, but glad he improved on his game.

Return to Trades and Transactions