Hou Trades down Twice (w/ Por and Chi)

Moderators: loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe

LarsV8
General Manager
And1: 3,944

Hou Trades down Twice (w/ Por and Chi) 

Post#1 » by LarsV8 » Mon May 13, 2024 12:51 am

To Houston
Malcom Brogdon
Alex Caruso

Houston gets some much needed shooting and more veterans to make a run, as well as a consolation pick at #11 (Cody Williams or Knect possibly)

To Portland
Jeff Green
Jock Landale

Portland consolidates some assets and gets a better pick.

To Chicago
JeSean Tate

Chicago moves up to #7 to get a better choice of players, also nabs an additional pick.

I debated a bit on whether #14 should go to Chicago or Houston. There is also about a 200k salary issue, which could be solved with another deal ahead of time to get a slightly larger salary for Houston to send out.
Godaddycurse
RealGM
And1: 10,540

Re: Hou Trades down Twice (w/ Por and Chi) 

Post#2 » by Godaddycurse » Mon May 13, 2024 1:01 am

Seems too good for chicago.

15 > Caruso
7 > 11
Xman
Assistant Coach
And1: 374

Post#3 » by Xman » Mon May 13, 2024 1:02 am

I think Houston should trade the pick.
Maybe this. Plus 11 to NO for LAL 2025 first.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 90,223

Post#4 » by Texas Chuck » Mon May 13, 2024 1:02 am

I think if I'm Houston I'd rather go for one last talent grab rather than dilute for a couple of stopgap guards. Love it for Portland though. I know some will say there is no difference between 3 and 7 but of course there is. If Portland loved a guy still there at 3, absolutely pull the trigger on this.

And seems fine for Chicago. A bit too good on value even.

Just don't like this directionally for Houston personally.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Myth
General Manager
And1: 8,628

Post#5 » by Myth » Mon May 13, 2024 1:04 am

I assume that is the 14th pick of Portland’s, since none of these teams have #15. The available #3 would have to be somebody Portland loves, like Risacher drops to 3 or something, otherwise this is a hard pass. The difference between 3 and 7 in this draft may not be big, so I kind of want 2 swings at it, plus I don’t want Landale’s second year.
lpbman
Starter
And1: 10

Post#6 » by lpbman » Mon May 13, 2024 1:06 am

Or, and hear me out... just ball up the number 3 pick and toss it into the garbage. If you combine Caruso and Brogdon into one player, sure.

I don't know where you find the minutes for those guys. If you're reducing FVV minutes a bit and not bringing Holiday back with Brogdon that's not worth the trade down and shooting guard minutes have to come from Jalen Green and the young guys... and if they aren't producing you aren't making a run anywhere.
lpbman
Starter

Post#7 » by lpbman » Mon May 13, 2024 1:09 am

Myth wrote:I assume that is the 14th pick of Portland’s, since none of these teams have #15. The available #3 would have to be somebody Portland loves, like Risacher drops to 3 or something, otherwise this is a hard pass. The difference between 3 and 7 in this draft may not be big, so I kind of want 2 swings at it, plus I don’t want Landale’s second year.

Landale contract is not guaranteed.
Myth
General Manager

Post#8 » by Myth » Mon May 13, 2024 1:11 am

lpbman wrote:
Myth wrote:I assume that is the 14th pick of Portland’s, since none of these teams have #15. The available #3 would have to be somebody Portland loves, like Risacher drops to 3 or something, otherwise this is a hard pass. The difference between 3 and 7 in this draft may not be big, so I kind of want 2 swings at it, plus I don’t want Landale’s second year.

What’s the details on that? Like we can just cut him immediately and save most of it?
lpbman
Starter

Post#9 » by lpbman » Mon May 13, 2024 1:47 am

Myth wrote:
lpbman wrote:
Myth wrote:What’s the details on that? Like we can just cut him immediately and save most of it?

Not a cap expert, so grain of salt time.... but he has no guaranteed money on his deal. I'd assume the Rockets would have to pick up 2024-25 in order to trade him, but if the Rockets were to waive him instead of trading him, they wouldn't owe him a dime. So... however that translates when shipping him off.
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 7,086

Post#10 » by Chi town » Mon May 13, 2024 2:07 am

LarsV8 wrote:To Houston
Malcom Brogdon
Alex Caruso

Houston gets some much needed shooting and more veterans to make a run, as well as a consolation pick at #11 (Cody Williams or Knect possibly)

To Portland
Jeff Green
Jock Landale

Portland consolidates some assets and gets a better pick.

To Chicago
JeSean Tate

Chicago moves up to #7 to get a better choice of players, also nabs an additional pick.

I debated a bit on whether #15 should go to Chicago or Houston. There is also about a 200k salary issue, which could be solved with another deal ahead of time to get a slightly larger salary for Houston to send out.

Hmm.

Word has been Caruso is worth 2 later 1sts.

I’d probably do this deal if we could off load Javon Carter too.

This draft is pretty even 10-20. Dropping 11-15 doesn’t really hurt.
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 7,086

Post#11 » by Chi town » Mon May 13, 2024 2:08 am

Rockets better be taking Shepherd or Rob D.
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,696

Post#12 » by jayjaysee » Mon May 13, 2024 2:12 am

I don’t hate the value for any of the teams. Looks actually really fair all around. Chicago getting too good a deal probably, Caruso might be worth 15th or might be worth moving from 11th to 7th. But he’s not worth both. So Chicago owes Houston here, maybe it’s just the Portland first. Maybe it’s Houston getting 15 and sending Chicago something a later pick?

But I hate the trade for Houston.

If you’re trading this far back, just trade out. Houston has enough maybes already on the roster.. why not just delay 11th a year or two? Especially if you’re bringing in Brogdon and Caruso.

But while I had Portland on phone, I’d ask about Simons..
Dame Lizard
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,162

Post#13 » by Dame Lizard » Mon May 13, 2024 2:22 am

I have zero interest in trading #7 + #14 + Brogdon (whose value is somewhat low given injury history) for #3.

On any other draft it'd be a no brainer. But in this draft I'd rather take two swings at #7 and #14 and hope one sticks over drafting at #3 (unless Sarr is miraculously still on the board).
Myth
General Manager

Post#14 » by Myth » Mon May 13, 2024 2:24 am

lpbman wrote:
Myth wrote:
lpbman wrote:

Not a cap expert, so grain of salt time.... but he has no guaranteed money on his deal. I'd assume the Rockets would have to pick up 2024-25 in order to trade him, but if the Rockets were to waive him instead of trading him, they wouldn't owe him a dime. So... however that translates when shipping him off.

Then that certainly helps. The deciding factor would then still have to be does Portland want who is available at 3 enough to give up the 7 and 14 for him.
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,879

Post#15 » by Norm2953 » Mon May 13, 2024 3:18 am

I'd like to see Portland pursue some type of 7,14 trade to get a player is a better fit for what they have.

I'd hate for Portland to trade 7,14 for Buzelis/Sarr who will be projects. Woj wrote Clingan is in play for
Atlanta but mocking a draft in 2024 is next to impossible before the draft combine and workouts
zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 10,992

Post#16 » by zeebneeb » Mon May 13, 2024 3:32 am

How about Detroit sends Duren+Ivey for the pick?
LarsV8
General Manager
And1: 3,944

Post#17 » by LarsV8 » Mon May 13, 2024 4:17 am

zeebneeb wrote:How about Detroit sends Duren+Ivey for the pick?

I don't like either of those guys for Houston.
Malapropism
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,418

Post#18 » by Malapropism » Mon May 13, 2024 5:00 am

This only makes sense if Sarr is there at 3.
Frankie
Sophomore
And1: 125

Post#19 » by Frankie » Mon May 13, 2024 9:55 am

Texas Chuck wrote:I think if I'm Houston I'd rather go for one last talent grab rather than dilute for a couple of stopgap guards. Love it for Portland though. I know some will say there is no difference between 3 and 7 but of course there is. If Portland loved a guy still there at 3, absolutely pull the trigger on this.

And seems fine for Chicago. A bit too good on value even.

Just don't like this directionally for Houston personally.

We need shooters. For me Sheppard or Knecht were the players I had my eyes on going into this draft. Obviously we're now sitting on a top 3 pick instead of the 9th pick, which allows us to make certain moves. I would absolutely trade down to get Caruso and Brogdon and still able to pick up a shooter like Knecht. That would honestly be a brilliant move for us.
Frankie
Sophomore
And1: 125

Post#20 » by Frankie » Mon May 13, 2024 9:58 am

Myth wrote:
lpbman wrote:

What’s the details on that? Like we can just cut him immediately and save most of it?

We'd have to pick up the second year option to be able to trade him I think, so you'd be on the hook for 12 months of his contract. He signed a 4 year deal with us with only year 1 being guaranteed, so he isn't owed a dime going forward.

Return to Trades and Transactions