The Trae Young Thread

Moderators: loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe

NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,698

The Trae Young Thread 

Post#1 » by NYG » Tue May 14, 2024 1:59 am

I was going to make a second Trae trade and figured a consolidation thread is probably going to be necessary instead.

1. Who are the top 3 most likely teams to land Trae Young?
2. What is their best offer?
3. Which does Atlanta accept?
NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,698

Re: The Trae Young Thread 

Post#2 » by NYG » Tue May 14, 2024 2:03 am

As for the trade...

Trae Young and AJ Griffin for Brandon Ingram, Larry Nance Jr., 2025 Unprotected Lakers First Round Draft Pick, 2025 Unprotected Pelicans First Round Draft Pick and 2027 Unprotected Bucks First Round Draft Pick

Adding a guy like Trae would be a game-changer for Zion IMO. This would probably mean a follow-up McCollum deal for a better defensive SG?

Hawks rebalance the roster a bit a recoup some pick value to make up for their own lost picks. Now re-signing Ingram isn't as bad after getting off of Trae and Murray/Sarr could help out defensively.

or...

Trae, WCJ and Cole Anthony to NOP
Ingram and the picks to ATL
McCollum to ORL
One_and_Done
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,974

Post#3 » by One_and_Done » Tue May 14, 2024 2:30 am

Pretty much any trade with the Spurs doesn't work, because the Hawks want their picks back and I can't imagine the Spurs will give them back for a flawed player like Trae owed such big money.
Warspite wrote:Billups was a horrible scorer who could only score with an open corner 3 or a FT.
raleigh
Head Coach
And1: 537

Post#4 » by raleigh » Tue May 14, 2024 2:51 am

One_and_Done wrote:Pretty much any trade with the Spurs doesn't work

That's why the three-way was invented. (I think I'm supposed to make a reference to your girlfriend at this point).

Trae to 3rd team
Better fitting player(s) to SAS
Picks + filler to ATL
One_and_Done
Assistant Coach

Post#5 » by One_and_Done » Tue May 14, 2024 3:12 am

raleigh wrote:

That's why the three-way was invented. (I think I'm supposed to make a reference to your girlfriend at this point).

Trae to 3rd team
Picks + filler to ATL

None of this works either. The Hawks look ready to fall off a cliff. Their picks are really valuable. That's why the Spurs want them. They aren't keen to move them at all. That's the problem. Trae is a good player, If the Spurs can get him on the cheap I'm sure they would, but they're not giving up those picks.
Warspite wrote:Billups was a horrible scorer who could only score with an open corner 3 or a FT.
Wolveswin
General Manager
And1: 2,628

Post#6 » by Wolveswin » Tue May 14, 2024 3:49 am

Hawks can’t risk trading Trae for expiring Ingram. DOA. Imagine losing the centerpiece of the deal. GM killer.
Ball4life32
Analyst
And1: 2,511

Post#7 » by Ball4life32 » Tue May 14, 2024 4:00 am

One_and_Done wrote:
raleigh wrote:

Trae to 3rd team
Picks + filler to ATL

None of this works either. The Hawks look ready to fall off a cliff. Their picks are really valuable. That's why the Spurs want them. They aren't keen to move them at all. That's the problem. Trae is a good player, If the Spurs can get him on the cheap I'm sure they would, but they're not giving up those picks.

Hawks have assets to retool and will obviously have no incentive to tank without their own picks so who knows where those picks land.
Wolveswin
General Manager

Post#8 » by Wolveswin » Tue May 14, 2024 4:05 am

Morant + JJJ + Filler + #9

FOR

Trae + Jalen Johnson + Capela + #1

Grizzlies get a fresh start after Morant while pairing Bane and Trae with some Smart mixed in.

Capela
Sarr
Johnson
Bane | Smart
Trae | Smart

Hawks go all-in for what Morant | JJJ upgrade can bring.

Okongwu | JJJ
JJJ | Hunter
Hunter | #9
Murray | BB
Morant | Murray
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 28,113

Post#9 » by Domejandro » Tue May 14, 2024 4:40 am

I feel like we are heading for a pretty obvious Tre Young, #4, #8, Hawks 2025 pick returned trade format, but it is so predictable that people are talking themselves out of it happening.
JustBuzzin
General Manager
And1: 6,976

Post#10 » by JustBuzzin » Tue May 14, 2024 4:45 am

Domejandro wrote:I feel like we are heading for a pretty obvious Tre Young, #4, #8, Hawks 2025 pick returned trade format, but it is so predictable that people are talking themselves out of it happening.

It was reported the Spurs are not interested in Trae Young.
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,707

Post#11 » by jayjaysee » Tue May 14, 2024 10:36 am

Yeah, I think if SAS makes a real offer with either of their lottery picks and the hawks picks then he’ll be a Spur?

As for the OP.. Ingram agrees to an extension and it should be a good deal for both sides.

NOP desperately needs to balance their roster after this, but it would be easy to do..
Ball4life32
Analyst
And1: 2,511

Post#12 » by Ball4life32 » Tue May 14, 2024 10:54 am

Hawks also have Kings pick top 12 protected next year and 2026 is just a swap so who knows if it will even convey. Much rather keep 25 yr old Trae than get back essentially two picks or more picks in this draft. Not really close.
One_and_Done
Assistant Coach

Post#13 » by One_and_Done » Tue May 14, 2024 11:04 am

Domejandro wrote:I feel like we are heading for a pretty obvious Tre Young, #4, #8, Hawks 2025 pick returned trade format, but it is so predictable that people are talking themselves out of it happening.

Looks like an overpay.
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board

Post#14 » by jayjaysee » Tue May 14, 2024 11:22 am

Pretending SAS wants to stay terrible like they should. Theres no reason for them to try and improve until Victor wins some games.

And ignoring that I don’t think Trae is the one traded..and that this one grew a bit too big..

Utah: Collins, Sexton, Clarkson, 10th, 2025 Minn, 2025 Cleveland, 2027 LAL, 2027 Minnesora
Utah: Trae, Caruso, Capela

Maintain Lauri’s money and get a backcourt that can make the playoffs while keeping their 2029 firsts for Luka bidding war. Or whatever. Capela/Clarkson swap included to play with money, but Capela would be a nice one year with Kessler since the team would have second round dreams.

Chicago: Caruso, Lavine
Chicago: Sexton, Collins, 2025 worst first

Chicago gets a big and a nice guard.

Atlanta: Trae, Capela
Atlanta: Lavine, Clarkson, 10th, 2025 first, 2027 LAL first, 27 Minnesota first

Atlanta brings in a “star” guard to pair with Murray while getting a late lottery pick and 3 future firsts. Clarkson is on a fine MLE contract even though he’s not really wanted.
dms269
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 1,558

Post#15 » by dms269 » Tue May 14, 2024 11:26 am

jayjaysee wrote:As for the OP.. Ingram agrees to an extension and it should be a good deal for both sides.

It's not just him agreeing to an extension, but it has to be a reasonable extension (which I don't think is going to happen. He wants max or near max). Even then I have questions about his decline (3-point shot, mid-range shooting) and his iso-focused-ness on a team with a PG who does the same.
The moderator formerly known as uga_dawgs24
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board

Post#16 » by jayjaysee » Tue May 14, 2024 12:42 pm

dms269 wrote:
jayjaysee wrote:As for the OP.. Ingram agrees to an extension and it should be a good deal for both sides.

It's not just him agreeing to an extension, but it has to be a reasonable extension (which I don't think is going to happen. He wants max or near max). Even then I have questions about his decline (3-point shot, mid-range shooting) and his iso-focused-ness on a team with a PG who does the same.

I think you only trade for Ingram if you’re willing to put him on the 25% ish max he is eligible for in a trade... If you’re not, then you don’t really entertain the idea anyways.
TheBrooklynKidd
Head Coach
And1: 3,636

Post#17 » by TheBrooklynKidd » Tue May 14, 2024 12:52 pm

Depending on what happens with Donovan Mitchell, I think Brooklyn would explore offers around Bridges+ for Trae.

Would the Hawks be interested?
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board

Post#18 » by jayjaysee » Tue May 14, 2024 1:52 pm

TheBrooklynKidd wrote:Depending on what happens with Donovan Mitchell, I think Brooklyn would explore offers around Bridges+ for Trae.

Even if you’re flipping Bridges, you should consider this for Atlanta.

But if Mitchell isn’t an option, don’t you just open up some/most the picks for Trae?

Whether you match with Simmons or Johnson/Dennis..
TheBrooklynKidd
Head Coach
And1: 3,636

Post#19 » by TheBrooklynKidd » Tue May 14, 2024 2:07 pm

jayjaysee wrote:
TheBrooklynKidd wrote:Depending on what happens with Donovan Mitchell, I think Brooklyn would explore offers around Bridges+ for Trae.

Even if you’re flipping Bridges, you should consider this for Atlanta.

But if Mitchell isn’t an option, don’t you just open up some/most the picks for Trae?

Whether you match with Simmons or Johnson/Dennis..

I would rather conserve our picks for a future star.

Capitalize on Bridges’ value being high while Young’s is at an all time low.
Wolveswin
General Manager

Post#20 » by Wolveswin » Tue May 14, 2024 2:30 pm

One_and_Done wrote:
raleigh wrote:

Trae to 3rd team
Picks + filler to ATL

That is why I don’t think Young is traded for a rebuild package. It would be more of a retool package.

Return to Trades and Transactions