Bucks and SAS

Moderators: MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck

tcheco
Sixth Man
And1: 1,221

Bucks and SAS 

Post#1 » by tcheco » Sun May 12, 2024 4:42 am

Bucks trade Brook Lopez (+ aj green?

SAS trade Malaki Branham, Julian Champagnie and Zach Collins

Spurs trade for an upgrade from Collins that can defend and shoot from three. Ideally him and and Wemby don't share the floor many minutes, but that guarantees 48 minutes of good defense for the team. They also clear the salary from Collins a year early.

Bucks turn Lopez into 3 rotational pieces that are locked for 2 and 3 years in cost controlled contracts. They move Portis to the starting 5 and use Collins as the backup big.

Potencial starting units for both teams:

SAS:
Tre Jones/Draft pick(Topic?)
Vassel/FA/Wesley
FA?/Keldon
Sochan/Wemby
Wemby/Lopez/Bassey

Bucks:
Lillard/Malaki Branham
Beverley?/Pat
Middleton/Champagnie/Marjon
Giannis/Fa?
Portis/Collins
Chinook
Head Coach
And1: 3,504

Re: Bucks and SAS 

Post#2 » by Chinook » Sun May 12, 2024 5:17 am

I'd be interested. Lopez is a very good player, and getting off the salary a year early may or may not be important. The Bucks don't seem to be helped here. Collins is not better than Lopez, and though I think he's a good player in an unideal situation, the Bucks seem like another such situation. I firmly believe the Spurs are winning this trade unless you're a big believer in Branham or Champ. Maybe the Spurs are, but I'd want the Spurs to do this immediately and look to turn Lopez into 2024 cap space or as a piece in a major trade.
jredsaz
General Manager
And1: 2,812

Post#3 » by jredsaz » Sun May 12, 2024 5:18 am

tcheco wrote:Bucks trade Brook Lopez (+ aj green?

Spurs trade for an upgrade from Collins that can defend and shoot from three. Ideally him and and Wemby don't share the floor many minutes, but that guarantees 48 minutes of good defense for the team. They also clear the salary from Collins a year early.

Bucks turn Lopez into 3 rotational pieces that are locked for 2 and 3 years in cost controlled contracts. They move Portis to the starting 5 and use Collins as the backup big.

SAS:
Vassel/FA/Wesley
FA?/Keldon
Sochan/Wemby
Wemby/Lopez/Bassey

Bucks:
Lillard/Malaki Branham
Beverley?/Pat
Giannis/Fa?
Portis/Collins

I like it in concept but probably less on the court for the Bucks. Even at 36, Lopez is just a lot better than that group of guys right now. With Dame and Giannis right now is what matters.
wemby
Senior
And1: 359

Post#4 » by wemby » Sun May 12, 2024 9:39 am

I'd love it, but realistically Bucks shouldn't do this and the Spurs owe value.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,896

Post#5 » by Skybox » Sun May 12, 2024 12:26 pm

This kind of move would be a step back for MIL, regardless of all the possible “add-ons” for value. MIL is old, good, and on their last legs…but that could be for several more years, so no sell-offs make sense. Really no different than GSW and LAL…all or nothing.

Brook would be a perfect guy on and off court for Wemby.
tcheco
Sixth Man

Post#6 » by tcheco » Sun May 12, 2024 5:30 pm

jredsaz wrote:
tcheco wrote:Bucks trade Brook Lopez (+ aj green?

SAS:
Vassel/FA/Wesley
FA?/Keldon
Sochan/Wemby
Wemby/Lopez/Bassey

Bucks:
Lillard/Malaki Branham
Beverley?/Pat
Giannis/Fa?
Portis/Collins

I like it in concept but probably less on the court for the Bucks. Even at 36, Lopez is just a lot better than that group of guys right now. With Dame and Giannis right now is what matters.

It is what matters, and yes, Bucks would need to believe both youngsters and Collins can fit right in to consider this.
But looking at ways for the Bucks to improve, seems like of all the expensive player(other than Pat) Lopez would be the one that will be missed the least(because of Portis).

I just love Lopez in the Spurs, helping to menthor Wemby a bit. His defense and how he reinvented his play after old age is amazing.

Any way this can be improved for the Bucks? Champ started so many games for the spurs last year, Pop trusted him, but can't say I watched enough games of the Spurs. Branham had an underwhelming sophomore season. Collins had a down year considering he does not fit with Wemby at all.
tcheco
Sixth Man

Post#7 » by tcheco » Sun May 12, 2024 5:35 pm

Skybox wrote:This kind of move would be a step back for MIL, regardless of all the possible “add-ons” for value. MIL is old, good, and on their last legs…but that could be for several more years, so no sell-offs make sense. Really no different than GSW and LAL…all or nothing.

Brook would be a perfect guy on and off court for Wemby.

While I agree with your whole point, seems like it backfired for both teams, keeping old players and limiting how to improve the team using them. While I do believe Bucks can win a chip keeping Lopez, it also believe they should look into how improve the team moving Lopez as he is the one with most value. Do I think Bucks are better after this trade? Not 100%, they are deeper, but Collins is not as good as Lopez.

Ideally for the bucks someone thinks Pat has some value and give 2 decent role players for him. Don't think Spurs are that team
bucksfansince88
Analyst
And1: 1,807

Post#8 » by bucksfansince88 » Tue May 14, 2024 11:14 pm

Spurs should add some draft compensation
Chinook
Head Coach

Post#9 » by Chinook » Tue May 14, 2024 11:45 pm

bucksfansince88 wrote:Spurs should add some draft compensation

Unless we're talking about a couple of seconds, no, they shouldn't. I fully admit Lopez is the better player, but we're talking the backup center spot here for a team rebuilding.
Bornstellar
General Manager
And1: 17,748

Post#10 » by Bornstellar » Wed May 15, 2024 2:35 am

I would do this all day. He would be an excellent vet center to back up Wemby. Branham/Champagne/Collins are all one dimensional players that shouldn't be in the Spurs long term plans
One_and_Done
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,000

Post#11 » by One_and_Done » Wed May 15, 2024 2:44 am

Neither team does it. Bucks more so.
Warspite wrote:Billups was a horrible scorer who could only score with an open corner 3 or a FT.
Fotis St
General Manager
And1: 2,949

Post#12 » by Fotis St » Wed May 15, 2024 9:39 am

As a Bucks fan , I am requesting a pick and 3rd team involved to ship em all there and get a 6th man of the year kinda player or a role player starter. We have no time for Collins and others to develop, our core is over 30+ years old.

For example ... can we get Jerami Grant from Portland by tweaking and both teams adding some value to send ?
Draft: '15 Jerian Grant, '16 Thon Maker, '17 Isaiah Hartenstein/*John Collins, '18 TD Devonte Graham, Hamidou Diallo, '20 Sam Merrill, Killian Tillie, '21 Joe Wieskamp, '22 TU C.Braun/G.Procida '23 Tristan Vukcevic
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 14,880

Post#13 » by BK_2020 » Wed May 15, 2024 10:07 am

None of those three Spurs players are rotational pieces on the Bucks. You have to remember the Bucks are trying to win games.
Fotis St
General Manager
And1: 2,949

Post#14 » by Fotis St » Wed May 15, 2024 10:25 am

I really like your idea of kinda a recreation of a double tower lineup with Wemby at the 4 and Brook at the 5. Flashbacks of Admiral + Duncan. Yes, Brook can be a good vet exalple for Wemby. Protecting Wemby for a couple of years playing some 4 till he gets a bit stronger is a good plan.
Draft: '15 Jerian Grant, '16 Thon Maker, '17 Isaiah Hartenstein/*John Collins, '18 TD Devonte Graham, Hamidou Diallo, '20 Sam Merrill, Killian Tillie, '21 Joe Wieskamp, '22 TU C.Braun/G.Procida '23 Tristan Vukcevic
JayMKE
RealGM
And1: 14,801

Post#15 » by JayMKE » Wed May 15, 2024 12:43 pm

No reason for the Bucks to do this, going to need a lot more since they're a worse team after with no new guaranteed rotation pieces coming back. Portis isn't a starting 5 imo either, Bucks don't want to start him there. Not running a charity.
FREE GIANNIS
machu46
RealGM
And1: 3,731

Post#16 » by machu46 » Wed May 15, 2024 4:52 pm

Doesn't make sense for the Bucks, and if the Spurs merely view Brook as a backup for Wemby, Milwaukee will find better partners elsewhere. Brook is absolutely a starter in the league still.
trwi7 wrote:**** me deep, Giannis. ****. Me. Deep.
bucksfansince88
Analyst
And1: 1,807

Post#17 » by bucksfansince88 » Wed May 15, 2024 6:57 pm

Chinook wrote:

Unless we're talking about a couple of seconds, no, they shouldn't. I fully admit Lopez is the better player, but we're talking the backup center spot here for a team rebuilding.

2-3 2nd rd picks is what I was thinking.
tcheco
Sixth Man

Post#18 » by tcheco » Wed May 15, 2024 8:20 pm

BK_2020 wrote:None of those three Spurs players are rotational pieces on the Bucks. You have to remember the Bucks are trying to win games.

I do think Branham has been underwhelming, Collins does have a role in the league as a 20 minutes player, and Champagnie has started quite a few games for the spurs and althought they have been bad, I don't attribute that to him, he finishe the year strong.

I do think Branham could be an improvement over AJ green who played minutes in the finals, same for Champagnie over Pat whom had a bad year overall. That might not be enough sure, but I wonder how can the Bucks improve their bench unit.
What do Bucks fans believe Lopez can return if traded?
tcheco
Sixth Man

Post#19 » by tcheco » Wed May 15, 2024 8:24 pm

Fotis St wrote:As a Bucks fan , I am requesting a pick and 3rd team involved to ship em all there and get a 6th man of the year kinda player or a role player starter. We have no time for Collins and others to develop, our core is over 30+ years old.

For example ... can we get Jerami Grant from Portland by tweaking and both teams adding some value to send ?

I could see Grant honestly, not sure how much would need to be added. Can Bucks afford him though?
I'm intrigued by the Bucks plan for this offseason, either keep them all and try minor tweaks, or what?
Chinook
Head Coach

Post#20 » by Chinook » Fri May 17, 2024 4:13 am

bucksfansince88 wrote:
Chinook wrote:

2-3 2nd rd picks is what I was thinking.

Considering the slush fund of seconds the Spurs have, I'd be fine with a couple going to grease the wheels.

Return to Trades and Transactions