Mitchell to BKN

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

Xman
Assistant Coach
And1: 375

Mitchell to BKN 

Post#1 » by Xman » Wed May 15, 2024 8:50 pm

Per the story - team prepping big offers for Mitchell - especially BKN -

CLE - gets PHX 2025&27 1sts, Mikal, LaVine, Caruso
- CLE does not want to rebuild and these two fit perfectly to allow CLE to keep pushing.
Garland/LaVine/Mikal/Mobley/Allen
- - for now I have the PHX 2025 1st coming here but that could change depending on valuation.

BKN - gets Mitchell, Vucevic, CobyWhite
- BKN gets its star. Plus, reunites Coby with Cam (NCarolina guys that have now developed), and Vuc as inside depth.
Coby/Mitchell/CamJ/DFS/Claxton - with Schroder/CamT/Vuc off the bench.

CHI - gets Simmons, Strus, LeVert, Niang, picks [PHX 2029 1st, 2029 DAL 1st]
-for CHI this is a quickie rebuild. Simmons is expiring and getting picks. Cap would be almost clear after next season. Sign and trade DDR, trade Caruso and/or PWilliams - and the cupboard is bare - get a top 5 pick in next year's strong draft.

I think BKN would rather send CamJ instead of Mikal but CLE would insist upon Mikal. Mikal and LaVine combined seem to really round out starters for CLE (follow up by sending that PHX 1st for DillonBrooks?).

Other options?
[edited to move 2027 phx 1st to CLE instead of CHI and Niang/Caruso swap]
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 90,471

Re: Mitchell to BKN 

Post#2 » by Texas Chuck » Wed May 15, 2024 8:54 pm

Well Chicago is stealing a bunch of value. LaVine+Vuc is negative value. Which means Coby off of one decent year with zero pressire is returning no bad money and 3 unprotected firsts plus dumping unwanted salary. No chance he's worth close to that.

Which means Cleveland is not getting enough value, especially since they for some reason are getting the least valuable of the future picks despite giving up the best player.

I'd take Chicago out. And quickly.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,722

Post#3 » by jayjaysee » Wed May 15, 2024 9:08 pm

Yeah, Cleveland likely asks for Lavine for Strus/caris to be removed and whatever value was assigned to that part of the trade given to them.

If Brooklyn wants to pay for Coby or Coby and Vuc, that is a simple other trade. But Gilbert shouldn’t have to pay to pay Zach.
Xman
Assistant Coach

Post#4 » by Xman » Wed May 15, 2024 9:09 pm

Moved a first from CHI to CLE. Logic is that CLE will need scoring and LaVine can do that (and Mikal can also). Added in the Niang/Caruso swap.
Chicago is a great dump spot for Simmons (and Strus/LeVert salaries).

close enough?
Xman
Assistant Coach

Post#5 » by Xman » Wed May 15, 2024 9:10 pm

Is LaVine that bad now?
Euphonetiks
Pro Prospect
And1: 383

Post#6 » by Euphonetiks » Wed May 15, 2024 9:12 pm

Doesn't Brooklyn want to pair Mitchell with Mikal?

I have to imagine that their offer is mostly pick based: Cam Johnson, Cam Thomas, Dayron Sharpe, PHX picks, and Nets picks.
LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,636

Post#7 » by LightTheBeam » Wed May 15, 2024 9:21 pm

The idea of Brooklyn trading for Mitchell should be off the table.

They aren't good enough to dismantle the team for him. Even if they could pull this off, that team is not even close to as good as the current Cavs.

If there really is mutual interest between Mitchell - Brooklyn, both sides need to just wait a year and figure it out.
Karmaloop
General Manager
And1: 1,497

Post#8 » by Karmaloop » Wed May 15, 2024 9:23 pm

LightTheBeam wrote:The idea of Brooklyn trading for Mitchell should be off the table.

They aren't good enough to dismantle the team for him. Even if they could pull this off, that team is not even close to as good as the current Cavs.

If there really is mutual interest between Mitchell - Brooklyn, both sides need to just wait a year and figure it out.

I would agree. I think the Nets like the idea of adding Mitchell, but I don't think they're gutting their roster for him especially after how poorly the Kyrie/KD/Harden era went.
BBallFreak
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16,295

Post#9 » by BBallFreak » Wed May 15, 2024 9:43 pm

I don't see the point of this for Brooklyn. They need to put Mitchell with Mikal. They shouldn't be gutting the roster like this. Are they even any better than they currently are after this trade? I'm not so sure.

Brooklyn might be able to put together the best deal but they better not gut the roster to do it. He's going to want to compete.
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,722

Post#10 » by jayjaysee » Wed May 15, 2024 9:51 pm

LightTheBeam wrote:The idea of Brooklyn trading for Mitchell should be off the table.

It’s definitely better to wait and steal a free agent. But then you have other teams pitching him or risk Cleveland trading him to LA or Miami.. and then who wants to leave either of those cities?

But it shouldn’t include Bridges. If it was actually just Simmons and the 3 Phoenix picks and another pick for Mitchell, it makes sense. Or bicker over what 4 picks it is.

Mitchell/Bridges/Cam/DFS/Claxton with a decent bench unit. Pretty elite defense and spacing for Mitchell to iso.. and a couple future picks that probably can land another really good player if you want to upgrade the second option on the wing next to Bridges..

Or if it does include Bridges, you really need to only be adding a first or so to make sure you have the assets to overpay for another star. You can’t leave Mitchell on this roster.

So….TLDR; i think we agree
LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,636

Post#11 » by LightTheBeam » Wed May 15, 2024 10:08 pm

jayjaysee wrote:

It’s definitely better to wait and steal a free agent. But then you have other teams pitching him or risk Cleveland trading him to LA or Miami.. and then who wants to leave either of those cities?

But it shouldn’t include Bridges. If it was actually just Simmons and the 3 Phoenix picks and another pick for Mitchell, it makes sense. Or bicker over what 4 picks it is.

Mitchell/Bridges/Cam/DFS/Claxton with a decent bench unit. Pretty elite defense and spacing for Mitchell to iso.. and a couple future picks that probably can land another really good player if you want to upgrade the second option on the wing next to Bridges..

Or if it does include Bridges, you really need to only be adding a first or so to make sure you have the assets to overpay for another star. You can’t leave Mitchell on this roster.

So….TLDR; i think we agree

I'm fine with that level of trade. Not sure that team is better than Cleveland currently is, but it's competitive. And if they want they can let Claxton walk, DFS opts out, and then add a free agent in 2025.
Netaman
Analyst
And1: 1,083

Post#12 » by Netaman » Wed May 15, 2024 11:24 pm

BBallFreak wrote:I don't see the point of this for Brooklyn. They need to put Mitchell with Mikal. They shouldn't be gutting the roster like this. Are they even any better than they currently are after this trade? I'm not so sure.

Brooklyn might be able to put together the best deal but they better not gut the roster to do it. He's going to want to compete.

exactly. if brooklyn gets him the value will be from their ammo of draft picks and interesting young rookie contract players (CamT, Clowney, Wilson).

the salary filler will be some combo of CamJ, DFS, Schroder, Simmons (possible to a 3rd team).

3 FRPs, Cam Thomas, salary filler seems like the most obvious BK package. I'd just try real hard to hold the line and only include 1 of the PHO FRPs between 27-29.
TheBrooklynKidd
Head Coach
And1: 3,640

Post#13 » by TheBrooklynKidd » Wed May 15, 2024 11:27 pm

If you can get a player like Mitchell you do it and figure out the rest later.
giberish
RealGM
And1: 5,937

Post#14 » by giberish » Wed May 15, 2024 11:30 pm

Netaman wrote:
BBallFreak wrote:I don't see the point of this for Brooklyn. They need to put Mitchell with Mikal. They shouldn't be gutting the roster like this. Are they even any better than they currently are after this trade? I'm not so sure.

exactly. if brooklyn gets him the value will be from their ammo of draft picks and interesting young rookie contract players (CamT, Clowney, Wilson).

the salary filler will be some combo of CamJ, DFS, Schroder, Simmons (possible to a 3rd team).

3 FRPs, Cam Thomas, salary filler seems like the most obvious BK package. I'd just try real hard to hold the line and only include 1 of the PHO FRPs between 27-29.

In the scenario where 99% of the return value is coming from picks then the Nets are going to have to dig pretty deep in terms of picks. Probably more like 5 than 3 (enough to allow Cleveland to deal some for enough win-now help to keep them in the playoffs and still have some extras for a potential future upgrade deal in a year or two). Maybe 4 if both the 27 and 29 Suns picks are included.
Netaman
Analyst

Post#15 » by Netaman » Wed May 15, 2024 11:35 pm

giberish wrote:
Netaman wrote:

In the scenario where 99% of the return value is coming from picks then the Nets are going to have to dig pretty deep in terms of picks. Probably more like 5 than 3 (enough to allow Cleveland to deal some for enough win-now help to keep them in the playoffs and still have some extras for a potential future upgrade deal in a year or two). Maybe 4 if both the 27 and 29 Suns picks are included.

I'd take the under on 4 or 5 FRPs. Cam Thomas still on his rookie deal has more value than a FRP, so him + 3 is the max I see Nets going.

Remember nobody is trading for Mitchell unless it's a place he wants to extend. So who do the Nets need to out bid? LAL and MIA don't have the picks to get close to Nets offer unless MIA somehow gets picks for Butler. NYK have picks but I'd be really surprised if they paired Brunson/Mitchell and max'd them together.
giberish
RealGM
And1: 5,937

Post#16 » by giberish » Wed May 15, 2024 11:41 pm

Netaman wrote:
giberish wrote:
Netaman wrote:

I'd take the under on 4 or 5 FRPs. Cam Thomas still on his rookie deal has more value than a FRP, so him + 3 is the max I see Nets going.

Remember nobody is trading for Mitchell unless it's a place he wants to extend. So who do the Nets need to out bid? LAL and MIA don't have the picks to get close to Nets offer unless MIA somehow gets picks for Butler. NYK have picks but I'd be really surprised if they paired Brunson/Mitchell and max'd them together.

I'm skeptical there's much interest in Cam Thomas. Maybe he gets back a late 1st in this years draft but it's tough to see Cleveland caring about either (Cam Thomas or a late 2024 1st) in a Mitchell trade.

Reaves and 3 LAL 1sts is likely more appealing than 3 Nets 1sts.
TheBrooklynKidd
Head Coach
And1: 3,640

Post#17 » by TheBrooklynKidd » Wed May 15, 2024 11:42 pm

Netaman wrote:
giberish wrote:
Netaman wrote:

I wouldn’t assume that Thomas is in the deal.

Cavs might prefer draft picks and the Nets might prefer to keep him.
DowJones
RealGM
And1: 6,874

Post#18 » by DowJones » Thu May 16, 2024 12:15 am

In fairness, Mitchell wouldn't be leaving Cleveland to "compete" as the Cavs have a competitive roster as it stands. They have some redundancies that can easily be corrected via trade. Maybe he just wants to be in New York?

I do agree that Bridges for Mitchell doesn't make a ton of sense for the Nets. Ultimately the 2027 and 2029 PHX first with Cam Johnson and DFS makes the most sense. Maybe the Cavs fan get Clowny as well.
Netaman
Analyst

Post#19 » by Netaman » Thu May 16, 2024 12:17 am

TheBrooklynKidd wrote:
Netaman wrote:
giberish wrote:

I wouldn’t assume that Thomas is in the deal.

Cavs might prefer draft picks and the Nets might prefer to keep him.

Brian Lewis reported today Cavs were one of the teams that offered on CamT after his rookie year. I have never been a big Cam fan but I think he made meaningful improvements this year and definitely has FRP+ value. Would have no issue hanging on to him in lieu of a distant Phoenix pick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Decipher
Rookie
And1: 1,023

Post#20 » by Decipher » Thu May 16, 2024 10:37 am

People consistently underrate Thomas

People other than LeBron, KD, etc that is

Return to Trades and Transactions