Donovan Mitchell to the Nets, Lakers, Heat or Rockets?

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

kds92
Pro Prospect
And1: 711

Re: Donovan Mitchell to the Nets, Lakers, Heat or Rockets? 

Post#41 » by kds92 » Thu May 16, 2024 2:38 am

I think it's only between the Nets and Lakers really. Don't think he wants the Rockets. Don't think the Knicks make an offer. And don't think the Heat's best offer would be as good as LA's.

Nets can easily make the best offer though. A core of Mitchell, Mikal, Claxton, and a 2025 FA would be a good foundation.
Wolveswin
General Manager
And1: 2,648

Post#42 » by Wolveswin » Thu May 16, 2024 2:50 am

To Nets: Mitchell + Ingram + Cavs Filler

To Cavs: Bridges + Cam Thomas + 29 Mavs 1st (via Nets)

To Hawks: Simmons + Daniels + 25/27 Suns 1sts (via Nets)

To Pels: Murray + Capela

Everyone is made whole.
toooskies
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,769

Post#43 » by toooskies » Thu May 16, 2024 3:32 am

I honestly think the answer is pretty clearly none of the above. These teams would all be kind of mediocre (like this year's Suns) with the lack of role players they'd have left. Except Houston, but I don't think Mitchell would want to wait on them to get better.

Knicks, Celtics, Clippers, Pelicans. Maybe Minnesota. OKC if they're ready to push their chips in.
Netaman
Analyst
And1: 1,083

Post#44 » by Netaman » Thu May 16, 2024 3:38 am

DowJones wrote:
NYG wrote:
DowJones wrote:
For me personally, Green/Brooks/#3/a future 1st would be tough for Miami or LA to beat. I am sure the Cavs would push for Eason or Whitmore to be part of that deal instead of the future 1st, but I would personally be ok with Green/Brooks/#3/future 1st if the Nets don't want to make those PHX picks available.

This draft is really bad though. I took a look at the mock drafts and nobody excites me at #3. Maybe Castle for the Cavs? Can I talk myself into Ron Holland or this Matas guy? I don't think I can.

So is it Simmons and those 2 picks for Mitchell at the end of the day?

Cam Johnson
DFS
Clowney
2027 PHX 1st
2029 PHX 1st

That would be what I would be looking for as a Cavs fan. Maybe the Nets ultimately get to keep Clowney and a 3rd first gets tossed in. I think the bar would be set at Cam/DFS/27 and 29 PHX first rounders though. I wouldn't go any lower.

this was an old post from early last year in a mitchell thread, held up pretty well - except the part about simmons being part of the nets core :lol: :

Netaman wrote:Nets seem like a strong fit, marks was supposedly a fan going back to his draft year and their entire core is the same age (simmons, bridges, cam j all 27 like mitchell, claxton is 24).

let's start with what the cavs gave up for 3 years of control:

3 FRPs (25, 27, 29)
2 swaps (26, 28)
Sexton (RFA needing new contract)
Markkanen (3 years left under contract, 24 years old, career 15 ppg at that point)

if we consider a mid-season trade having half as much control left (1.5 years), I think a reasonable downward revision of that return is something like this:

2 unprotected FRPs (maybe PHO 25, DAL 29?)
2 swaps or 1 protected FRP (maybe PHI 27? so CLE backfills all 3 years they gave up picks outright?)
Dinwiddie (expiring)
Cam Thomas (1.5 years left under rookie deal, 22 years old)
spree8
RealGM
And1: 6,472

Post#45 » by spree8 » Thu May 16, 2024 6:16 am

How is NY not included? What’s changed on the team since 2022 when he wanted to come here?

BK makes no sense if they trade Mikal for him. Donovan doesn’t just want to be in New York, he wants to compete for a title.
Smooth32
Lead Assistant
And1: 8

Post#46 » by Smooth32 » Thu May 16, 2024 6:34 am

spree8 wrote:How is NY not included? What’s changed on the team since 2022 when he wanted to come here?

BK makes no sense if they trade Mikal for him. Donovan doesn’t just want to be in New York, he wants to compete for a title.

Because the Knicks have passed on him twice now and are about to head to the ECF without him.
Smooth32
Lead Assistant
And1: 8

Post#47 » by Smooth32 » Thu May 16, 2024 6:36 am

Lakers offer is below average.

Nets offer is below average without Bridges.

Heat offer is middling (depends on what you think about Herro) but we’ve seen the Heat consistently low-ball large trades and dig their feet in — it makes me doubt they provide the best deal.

I’m not a Green fan, but if the Rockets offered Green, #3 and Eason, that’s a hard deal to pass up.

Picks are nice but don’t think they’re really as valued if you’re moving Mitchell. Your picks depend on you being competitive and you want talent that can win now and still grow — not maybe obtainable many years out.
Hoops23
General Manager
And1: 1,279

Post#48 » by Hoops23 » Thu May 16, 2024 6:48 am

I wish the Heat doesn't trade for the undersized Mitchell
TheBrooklynKidd
Head Coach
And1: 3,640

Post#49 » by TheBrooklynKidd » Thu May 16, 2024 9:52 am

NYG wrote:
DowJones wrote:
NYG wrote:DFS, Cam Johnson, Clowney, '27 Suns 1st and '29 Suns 1st for Donovan Mitchell

Can both sides agree that's the deal?

If so, can I start a new thread asking what Ben Simmons and some of the other Nets picks could get Brooklyn? haha

For me as a Cavs fan, I would take it unless Houston makes an aggressive offer. I don’t think either LA or Miami can beat that.

Netaman wrote:.

TheBrooklynKidd wrote:.

You in? If so, what picks are on the table and who would be your target in a follow-up Simmons deal?

I would insist on keeping Clowney. The Cavs don’t need him.

With Simmons expiring and additional picks I’d wait and see what kind of big fish becomes available.
_GH0ST_
Junior
And1: 495

Post#50 » by _GH0ST_ » Thu May 16, 2024 10:17 am

Contrary to popular opinion, I think the Heat and Lakers have a better chance than the Nets and Rockets. Donovan is not in the same situation as Dame. The destination he chooses will be important. If you send him to a team he doesn't want, you will give up a lot of assets for a 1-year rental.

I also don't understand why Miami's assets are despised. Heat can give Jaquez, Jovic, Herro, Rozier and 3 FRP (on draft day)
TheBrooklynKidd
Head Coach

Post#51 » by TheBrooklynKidd » Thu May 16, 2024 10:31 am

_GH0ST_ wrote:Contrary to popular opinion, I think the Heat and Lakers have a better chance than the Nets and Rockets. Donovan is not in the same situation as Dame. The destination he chooses will be important. If you send him to a team he doesn't want, you will give up a lot of assets for a 1-year rental.

I also don't understand why Miami's assets are despised. Heat can give Jaquez, Jovic, Herro, Rozier and 3 FRP (on draft day)

Rockets I agree.

The Nets are in NYC, basically his hometown and were on his list previously. They’ll almost certainly be on his list again.
_GH0ST_
Junior

Post#52 » by _GH0ST_ » Thu May 16, 2024 10:38 am

TheBrooklynKidd wrote:
_GH0ST_ wrote:Contrary to popular opinion, I think the Heat and Lakers have a better chance than the Nets and Rockets. Donovan is not in the same situation as Dame. The destination he chooses will be important. If you send him to a team he doesn't want, you will give up a lot of assets for a 1-year rental.

Rockets I agree.

The Nets are in NYC, basically his hometown and were on his list previously. They’ll almost certainly be on his list again.

The Nets have bad ownership, coaching staff and a bad team. I don't believe he'll choose the Nets just because it's his hometown.
TheBrooklynKidd
Head Coach

Post#53 » by TheBrooklynKidd » Thu May 16, 2024 10:46 am

_GH0ST_ wrote:
TheBrooklynKidd wrote:

Rockets I agree.

The Nets have bad ownership, coaching staff and a bad team. I don't believe he'll choose the Nets just because it's his hometown.

Bad ownership?

They have a new coach now and a team can be drastically improved in one year.

Also his hometown isn’t Charlotte, it’s NYC, a premier free agent destination.

He just has to put them on his list of preferred destinations like last time, which I would say is extremely likely.

Then the ball is in Brooklyn’s court because they can beat any realistic offer.
Mr Loggins
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,433

Post#54 » by Mr Loggins » Thu May 16, 2024 10:54 am

mitchell’s best basketball fit is resigning with cleveland.

Brunson breaking out essentially removes knicks, and any of these other teams would be worse than cleveland after giving up the pieces to acquire him
_GH0ST_
Junior

Post#55 » by _GH0ST_ » Thu May 16, 2024 11:22 am

TheBrooklynKidd wrote:
_GH0ST_ wrote:
TheBrooklynKidd wrote:
Rockets I agree.

Bad ownership?

He just has to put them on his list of preferred destinations like last time, which I would say is extremely likely.

Ownership was very bad during the Big 3 run. This is a bad situation for other stars to choose there.

Heat and Lakers are 1 star away from being the contenders and Heat has the best coaching staff in the league. Nets? There are a lot of question marks and Donovan has spent his career in such teams so far. I'd be surprised if he chooses the Nets because it's his hometown. Also, Miami and LA are dream cities and only 3 hours from Miami to NYC lol
TheBrooklynKidd
Head Coach

Post#56 » by TheBrooklynKidd » Thu May 16, 2024 11:29 am

_GH0ST_ wrote:
TheBrooklynKidd wrote:
_GH0ST_ wrote:The Nets have bad ownership, coaching staff and a bad team. I don't believe he'll choose the Nets just because it's his hometown.

Bad ownership?

Ownership was very bad during the Big 3 run. This is a bad situation for other stars to choose there.

Heat and Lakers are 1 star away from being the contenders and Heat has the best coaching staff in the league. Nets? There are a lot of question marks and Donovan has spent his career in such teams so far. I'd be surprised if he chooses the Nets because it's his hometown. Also, Miami and LA are dream cities and only 3 hours from Miami to NYC lol

How was ownership bad? You must know something I don’t. Please be specific.

Let’s be clear about what’s going to happen. Mitchell will not be choosing a team, he will be leaking a list of acceptable teams to Woj/Shams.

Will his list include Miami and LA exclusively, or it will it be the same as his previous one?

You can say whatever you want about the Nets, but if they’re on his list they will pursue him aggressively and can make the best offer.
_GH0ST_
Junior

Post#57 » by _GH0ST_ » Thu May 16, 2024 11:57 am

TheBrooklynKidd wrote:
_GH0ST_ wrote:
TheBrooklynKidd wrote:
Bad ownership?

How was ownership bad? You must know something I don’t. Please be specific.

Let’s be clear about what’s going to happen. Mitchell will not be choosing a team, he will be leaking a list of acceptable teams to Woj/Shams.

Will his list include Miami and LA exclusively, or it will it be the same as his previous one?

You can say whatever you want about the Nets, but if they’re on his list they will pursue him aggressively and can make the best offer.

I think I've been clear enough. The big 3 of KD, Kyrie and Harden were a huge flop. Ownership probably played a part in this failure lol

As I said in my first message, I think the Heat and Lakers have a better chance. If the Nets are on the list, they will definitely be aggressive. I just don't believe the Nets will be on the list. The Nets were one of the teams on his list a few years ago, but that team also included KD and Kyrie. He'll be 28 next season and I don't think he'll want any more risky adventures.
DowJones
RealGM
And1: 6,874

Post#58 » by DowJones » Thu May 16, 2024 12:09 pm

spree8 wrote:How is NY not included? What’s changed on the team since 2022 when he wanted to come here?

Bad fit plus the offers from NY won’t have much appeal in Cleveland.
spree8
RealGM
And1: 6,472

Post#59 » by spree8 » Thu May 16, 2024 12:42 pm

DowJones wrote:

Bad fit plus the offers from NY won’t have much appeal in Cleveland.

Third team, and many believe he’d fit well including me. He’d also be a massive help in the event of another major injury… 2 years in a row we’ve been crushed by Randle being hurt.

Smooth32 wrote:

Because the Knicks have passed on him twice now and are about to head to the ECF without him.

I wouldn’t say we passed on him. Ainge’s price was too high two years ago, and it didn’t look like Cleveland was shopping him last summer. The goal is a title tho, not the ECF.
tidho
General Manager
And1: 3,101

Post#60 » by tidho » Thu May 16, 2024 2:06 pm

They acquired a guy that's better than Mitchell to fill the role Mitchell would have filled.

Mr Loggins wrote:mitchell’s best basketball fit is resigning with cleveland.

This is only true if he can push Garland out the door. No idea if he's got that kind of power or not.

Return to Trades and Transactions