Finding THJ a home

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,722

Re: Finding THJ a home 

Post#61 » by jayjaysee » Thu May 16, 2024 8:19 pm

BBallFreak wrote:How about for Duncan Robinson?

Trying to trim 6-8 million off THJ to open up MLE for DJJ. So no go there.

Would like to turn THJ into Duncan otherwise though..
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,500

Post#62 » by babyjax13 » Thu May 16, 2024 8:50 pm

daoneandonly wrote:Love the premise of this thread and agree 100%. THJ and Green should be on the market for a dump of some sort

Is Utah really going to draft 3 guys this year? Might they trade 31 for Green and take him into space? His value is hard to gauge, I think he's mostly trash but I've been told I'm just a hater, so not sure.

WOuld a team desperate for shooting take THJ for a smaller deal?

I don't see us adding value for Green, I'd expect Dallas to have to pay us to take his contract.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
Astaluego
Junior
And1: 176

Post#63 » by Astaluego » Thu May 16, 2024 9:06 pm

in the supposed and unlikely event that the Bulls decide to keep their selection in the next draft and take this year as a tank, (personally and taking into account, as the lottery usually historically favors large market teams, the lottery and draft loaded with talent )..
I think if they let DDR walk they have a little space, right?

THJ/Dallas 25/Raptors SRP for Caruso..

The Bulls get a nice return by Alex's expiration, and Tim won't hurt their tank, while if he shoots decently, he could still get them some extra asset at the deadline from some contender desperate for shots.

For the Mavs they get a city kid who is a winner (imagine being able to pitch him to SGA in this series) and he also gives us the extra manager we need...
The 6 million saved, I think would be enough to lock DJJ into a deal at long term and then try to fill the gap left by Tim with Fournier or Mcdermott for the minimum, as ring hunters..

Lively/Gafford/Powell
Washington/Maxi/O-Max
Luka/DJJ/Fournier
Caruso/Green/Lawson
KI/Exum/Hardy
Old Mike Lorenzo
Maverick41
Analyst
And1: 2,629

Post#64 » by Maverick41 » Thu May 16, 2024 9:17 pm

DAL Receives: B.Brown
TOR Receives: THJ + Powell + TOR SRP
DET Receives: Josh Green

DAL cuts a ton of money to free up the full MLE for DJJ. Replace Green + THJ for Brown who can play with both Luka and Kyrie and also slot into the 2nd ballhandler when one sits. They can also use his large expiring at the TDL for a bigger upgrade later.

TOR gets their SRP back they covet.

DET absorbs Green. Lower expectation environment can help him. He still has talent.
zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 11,018

Post#65 » by zeebneeb » Thu May 16, 2024 10:27 pm

THJ ends up in Detroit, if everything bad that could happen, happens.(Casey ends up as POBO and Weaver is retained) Green I have mild interest in, but he is a pure energy bench guy, not something the Pistons need at the moment, and certainly not for 12,600,00 per.

Things will become a lot more clear after the Wolves are knocked out of the playoffs tonight, and the Pistons sign Conelly to the front office.
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board

Post#66 » by jayjaysee » Thu May 16, 2024 10:56 pm

Maverick41 wrote:DAL Receives: B.Brown

DAL cuts a ton of money to free up the full MLE for DJJ. Replace Green + THJ for Brown who can play with both Luka and Kyrie and also slot into the 2nd ballhandler when one sits. They can also use his large expiring at the TDL for a bigger upgrade later.

DET absorbs Green. Lower expectation environment can help him. He still has talent.

Once you fill the other two roster spots, this trims only about 5 million - not sure it is enough

But maybe you donā€™t need the full MLE, maybe he takes whatever the most Dallas can give him in this scenario.
BeiBeau
Starter
And1: 1,333

Post#67 » by BeiBeau » Thu May 16, 2024 11:04 pm

jayjaysee wrote:

Once you fill the other two roster spots, this trims only about 5 million - not sure it is enough

But maybe you donā€™t need the full MLE, maybe he takes whatever the most Dallas can give him in this scenario.

All reports indicate he wants to stay. Will he still feel that way when someone is offering more money is the question.
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board

Post#68 » by jayjaysee » Thu May 16, 2024 11:06 pm

BeiBeau wrote:
jayjaysee wrote:

All reports indicate he wants to stay. Will he still feel that way when someone is offering more money is the question.

But we donā€™t know what heā€™ll get offered. Maybe teams feel this is Luka magic. Hopefully..

But yeah, thatā€™s what my bad ideas ITT are for... To shave enough salary off THJ to give him the full MLE, while keeping some matching salary for a ā€œfinal pieceā€ future trade..
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 14,880

Post#69 » by BK_2020 » Fri May 17, 2024 12:03 am

Why doesn't Detroit just sign DJJ for more than the MLE then trade him to the Mavs for a FRP at the deadline
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,678

Post#70 » by nate33 » Fri May 17, 2024 12:10 am

The Wizards are definitely in the market to absorb a salary for a pick. It's just a matter of where can they get the best deal. This is a good starting point, but the #37 pick in a weak draft plus some future (low) pick seems a little light. But it really just depends on the market. With the rapidly increasing salary cap, there aren't a lot of teams desperate to shed salary, so maybe this type of deal is the best available.
Maverick41
Analyst

Post#71 » by Maverick41 » Fri May 17, 2024 12:20 am

BK_2020 wrote:Why doesn't Detroit just sign DJJ for more than the MLE then trade him to the Mavs for a FRP at the deadline

Who's to say if DET signed DJJ to a bigger contract that he'd even be worth a FRP later? He's having a career year due to Kyrie and Luka spoonfeeding him. If he goes to DET, he may very well revert back to his old self which almost every team in the league passed on.
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 14,880

Post#72 » by BK_2020 » Fri May 17, 2024 12:24 am

Maverick41 wrote:
BK_2020 wrote:Why doesn't Detroit just sign DJJ for more than the MLE then trade him to the Mavs for a FRP at the deadline

Who's to say if DET signed DJJ to a bigger contract that he'd even be worth a FRP later? He's having a career year due to Kyrie and Luka spoonfeeding him. If he goes to DET, he may very well revert back to his old self which almost every team in the league passed on.

If you are Detroit, why wouldn't you take that gamble instead of spending almost as much money in absorbing several years of Josh Green for a SRP?
BeiBeau
Starter

Post#73 » by BeiBeau » Fri May 17, 2024 12:39 am

nate33 wrote:The Wizards are definitely in the market to absorb a salary for a pick. It's just a matter of where can they get the best deal. This is a good starting point, but the #37 pick in a weak draft plus some future (low) pick seems a little light. But it really just depends on the market. With the rapidly increasing salary cap, there aren't a lot of teams desperate to shed salary, so maybe this type of deal is the best available.

I think the 2nd apron offsets the lack of urgency to shed salary from the increasing cap. I think value to dump salary is similar.
BeiBeau
Starter

Post#74 » by BeiBeau » Fri May 17, 2024 12:42 am

jayjaysee wrote:
BeiBeau wrote:
jayjaysee wrote:

But we donā€™t know what heā€™ll get offered. Maybe teams feel this is Luka magic. Hopefully..

But yeah, thatā€™s what my bad ideas ITT are for... To shave enough salary off THJ to give him the full MLE, while keeping some matching salary for a ā€œfinal pieceā€ future trade..

Dumping Holmes in a good draft last year was pick 24. Which is to rich for Dallasā€™s blood. Although I think one could easily argue the kings way over paid.

THJ is 4 million more than that but he is a better player. Which is why I think selling him to a team that does want to compete and needs the shooting could lower that price tag a fair bit.
Godaddycurse
RealGM
And1: 10,586

Post#75 » by Godaddycurse » Fri May 17, 2024 12:44 am

BeiBeau wrote:
jayjaysee wrote:
BeiBeau wrote:

Dumping Holmes in a good draft last year was pick 24. Which is to rich for Dallasā€™s blood. Although I think one could easily argue the kings way over paid.

THJ is 4 million more than that but he is a better player. Which is why I think selling him to a team that does want to compete and needs the shooting could lower that price tag a fair bit.

Holmes had 2 yrs left so it was pick 24 for 23M
Maverick41
Analyst

Post#76 » by Maverick41 » Fri May 17, 2024 12:50 am

BK_2020 wrote:
Maverick41 wrote:

If you are Detroit, why wouldn't you take that gamble instead of spending almost as much money in absorbing several years of Josh Green for a SRP?

I guess so but you never know how GMs can think. We could have said the same thing 2 years ago. For example why didn't DET just sign Brunson and traded him to NY or DAL for a FRP instead of absorbing Burks and Noel?

But anyway, Green may be a little overpaid but he's still extremely young and is already a top 8 rotation player on a WC semi final team. It's not like DET would be absorbing trash.
BeiBeau
Starter

Post#77 » by BeiBeau » Fri May 17, 2024 1:06 am

Godaddycurse wrote:
BeiBeau wrote:
jayjaysee wrote:

Holmes had 2 yrs left so it was pick 24 for 23M

Youā€™re right. My mistake
Godaddycurse
RealGM
And1: 10,586

Post#78 » by Godaddycurse » Fri May 17, 2024 3:47 am

LAC out: Tucker, future 2nd
LAC in: Boucher

Toronto out: Boucher
Toronto in: THJ, future LAC 2nd, cash from dallas

Dallas out: THJ, Cash
Dallas in: Tucker

Why for LAC: add a playable forward to their bench
Why for Toronto: sell 6M capspace for a 2nd and cash
Why for Dallas: add a back up SF/PF and free up some MLE space
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,129

Post#79 » by daoneandonly » Fri May 17, 2024 11:18 am

babyjax13 wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:Love the premise of this thread and agree 100%. THJ and Green should be on the market for a dump of some sort

Is Utah really going to draft 3 guys this year? Might they trade 31 for Green and take him into space? His value is hard to gauge, I think he's mostly trash but I've been told I'm just a hater, so not sure.

WOuld a team desperate for shooting take THJ for a smaller deal?

I don't see us adding value for Green, I'd expect Dallas to have to pay us to take his contract.

Yea i dont disagree with this, I wouldnt blame Utah (especially AInge) for expecting incentive.
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,129

Post#80 » by daoneandonly » Fri May 17, 2024 11:22 am

Godaddycurse wrote:LAC out: Tucker, future 2nd
LAC in: Boucher

Toronto out: Boucher
Toronto in: THJ, future LAC 2nd, cash from dallas

Dallas out: THJ, Cash
Dallas in: Tucker

Why for LAC: add a playable forward to their bench
Why for Toronto: sell 6M capspace for a 2nd and cash
Why for Dallas: add a back up SF/PF and free up some MLE space

I would not totally hate this one if other options were exhausted. Though I do think Dallas would need to address the bench scoring in some manner, preferably someone who can somewhat be a microwave scorer and have above avg ball handling/facilitating skills.

Return to Trades and Transactions