Cavs - Miami - Memphis

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,636

Cavs - Miami - Memphis 

Post#1 » by LightTheBeam » Thu May 16, 2024 3:22 pm

Cavs trade - Garland, Allen, Niang
Cavs receive - Smart, Jimmy Butler

Miami Trades - Jimmy
Miami Receives - Garland, Niang

Memphis trades - Smart
Memphis Receives - Allen

Why for the Cavs? Build a winner around Mitchell. The defense around Mitchell would be insane and we've seen playoff Jimmy/Donovan elevate to levels that can win a title.
Mitchell - Smart - Strus - Jimmy - Mobley
LeVert - Okoro - Morris - Wade

Why for Miami? They don't want to give Jimmy an extension. Get a young pg who has shown a lot and needs a change.
Garland - Herro - Jaime - Jovic - Bam
Rozier - Caleb - Robinson

Why for Memphis? They need a center and with make a move to go bigger.
Ja - Bane - GG - JJJ - Allen
Godaddycurse
RealGM
And1: 10,586

Re: Cavs - Miami - Memphis 

Post#2 » by Godaddycurse » Thu May 16, 2024 3:27 pm

i have allen worth more than smart
DowJones
RealGM
And1: 6,874

Post#3 » by DowJones » Thu May 16, 2024 3:29 pm

Way, way too light for Cleveland. Really, cut Memphis out entirely. Jimmy for Garland and Niang isn't something I like, but it is at least a conversation for Cleveland.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,715

Post#4 » by jbk1234 » Thu May 16, 2024 3:31 pm

This is a pretty easy pass from Cleveland.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
LightTheBeam
RealGM

Post#5 » by LightTheBeam » Thu May 16, 2024 3:51 pm

Godaddycurse wrote:i have allen worth more than smart

What swap can be added to make this reasonable? Aldama to Cleveland?
VaDe255
Pro Prospect
And1: 691

Post#6 » by VaDe255 » Thu May 16, 2024 3:51 pm

Easy pass for the Heat, they already have Herro, who is providing the same production as Garland at similiar efficiency, although I like Garland's game more his impact isn't any better on the offensive or defensive end.
psman2
General Manager
And1: 4,975

Post#7 » by psman2 » Thu May 16, 2024 4:15 pm

LightTheBeam wrote:

I think we might include #9 here but at that point we have to start thinking about is it better to go after a Capela that would only cost a fraction of Allen and still keep Smart. I like Allen but at the end of the day getting close to his production is not that hard to find cheaper.
jowglenn
General Manager
And1: 2,518

Post#8 » by jowglenn » Thu May 16, 2024 4:18 pm

I don't know about the value per se but I want to say I like the concept a lot, very good combination of rumors and needs. Maybe needs tweaking but it's a bold straightforward star trade that starts a conversation. Well done!
LightTheBeam
RealGM

Post#9 » by LightTheBeam » Thu May 16, 2024 4:22 pm

psman2 wrote:
LightTheBeam wrote:

I think we might include #9 here but at that point we have to start thinking about is it better to go after a Capela that would only cost a fraction of Allen and still keep Smart. I like Allen but at the end of the day getting close to his production is not that hard to find cheaper.

Wow maybe I'm underrating Allen or overrating Smart here. How much better is Allen than Poeltl, I think you can go get Poeltl for a fraction of Smart/9
QMemphis
Junior
And1: 245

Post#10 » by QMemphis » Thu May 16, 2024 4:23 pm

Good because I would rather have Smart than Allen. We can get Mitch Rob fit alot cheaper.
psman2
General Manager

Post#11 » by psman2 » Thu May 16, 2024 4:34 pm

LightTheBeam wrote:
psman2 wrote:
LightTheBeam wrote:

Wow maybe I'm underrating Allen or overrating Smart here. How much better is Allen than Poeltl, I think you can go get Poeltl for a fraction of Smart/9

I think Memphis is willing to pay a little more for team needs right now, but I do have their value closer than most I think. Plus I don't view #9 as super strong this year, and if the draft board breaks where the BPA are project forwards like Holland and Cody Williams then I think we would prefer to trade the pick for an established center. But if Clingan is there much rather just keep the pick and Smart and use Kennard and a future 1st or the MLE to go center shopping.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,715

Post#12 » by jbk1234 » Thu May 16, 2024 6:41 pm

LightTheBeam wrote:
psman2 wrote:
LightTheBeam wrote:

Raptors would love that. As far as Smart, he's going to have to take the floor and play well for the Grizzlies to move him for real value IMO.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
psman2
General Manager

Post#13 » by psman2 » Thu May 16, 2024 6:53 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
LightTheBeam wrote:
psman2 wrote:

Raptors would love that. As far as Smart, he's going to have to take the floor and play well for the Grizzlies to move him for real value IMO.

Smart has a long track record and was rested the second half of the season, he could have came back the last quarter of the season but we just choose to tank. He dislocated a finger, I don't think most GMs are going to really need to see him back on the floor to make a full value offer.
LightTheBeam
RealGM

Post#14 » by LightTheBeam » Thu May 16, 2024 7:09 pm

psman2 wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
LightTheBeam wrote:

Smart has a long track record and was rested the second half of the season, he could have came back the last quarter of the season but we just choose to tank. He dislocated a finger, I don't think most GMs are going to really need to see him back on the floor to make a full value offer.

Agree here. It's not really a concern of if he can play. He is 30 and last 2 years of his deal, so his value might not be what Memphis paid, but he's still worth a good amount.
BBallFreak
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16,295

Post#15 » by BBallFreak » Thu May 16, 2024 8:06 pm

I hate this for Miami. Easy pass.
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,722

Post#16 » by jayjaysee » Thu May 16, 2024 8:10 pm

I’d say Allen and 20 for Smart and 9 is about right? Cleveland might owe a bit more back there. Memphis future first lightly protected is probably easier to balance it though..

Mitchell and Smart are an interesting duo though. Similar to why Memphis fans might not want to trade Smart.. But they also have other really good options on the roster and it keeps the team under the tax one last year doing it this way.. I like it for Memphis.

The Garland for Butler swap is kind of weird to me for both sides. A different third team with a younger star probably makes a lot of sense. Especially if you can work it to draft Cody Williams or Matas or Clingan at 9th.. whether that’s part of the value with Garland or just a chance on the bench..
psman2
General Manager

Post#17 » by psman2 » Thu May 16, 2024 8:27 pm

jayjaysee wrote:I’d say Allen and 20 for Smart and 9 is about right? Cleveland might owe a bit more back there. Memphis future first lightly protected is probably easier to balance it though..

Mitchell and Smart are an interesting duo though. Similar to why Memphis fans might not want to trade Smart.. But they also have other really good options on the roster and it keeps the team under the tax one last year doing it this way.. I like it for Memphis.

The Garland for Butler swap is kind of weird to me for both sides. A different third team with a younger star probably makes a lot of sense. Especially if you can work it to draft Cody Williams or Matas or Clingan at 9th.. whether that’s part of the value with Garland or just a chance on the bench..

I think that's a fair offer too. I think we saw enough from Vince Williams to feel comfortable moving Smart and giving VWill a bigger role, that doesn't mean we want to move Smart, just opens up the door do to something where we can rebalance our roster using his value. But would rather do Kennard/#9 for OO first and keep Smart if available, I think OO opens more things for us on both ends at a cheaper cost.
QMemphis
Junior
And1: 245

Post#18 » by QMemphis » Thu May 16, 2024 10:17 pm

psman2 wrote:
jayjaysee wrote:I’d say Allen and 20 for Smart and 9 is about right? Cleveland might owe a bit more back there. Memphis future first lightly protected is probably easier to balance it though..

I think that's a fair offer too. I think we saw enough from Vince Williams to feel comfortable moving Smart and giving VWill a bigger role, that doesn't mean we want to move Smart, just opens up the door do to something where we can rebalance our roster using his value. But would rather do Kennard/#9 for OO first and keep Smart if available, I think OO opens more things for us on both ends at a cheaper cost.

I think Allen is soft and the best I would do is Kennard/Santi/25 1st. Allen got dominated last year by MitchRob and this year he didn’t play due to injury. MitchRob though he was also hurt played through his injury until Embiid took him out, is cheaper on a descending contract, the same age, tougher and can be attained for far less.
patman66
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,363

Post#19 » by patman66 » Thu May 16, 2024 10:34 pm

psman2 wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
LightTheBeam wrote:

Agreed, Smart is a known value.
Hoops23
General Manager
And1: 1,279

Post#20 » by Hoops23 » Thu May 16, 2024 10:38 pm

A big no for Miami.

Return to Trades and Transactions