Clippers-Kings (Back-up plan for Monk)

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

Captain Ballmer
Pro Prospect
And1: 753

Clippers-Kings (Back-up plan for Monk) 

Post#1 » by Captain Ballmer » Thu May 16, 2024 6:13 am

In case Monk got premium offers Kings unwilling to match, this is a back-up plan for their 6th man position.
Clippers get younger, receive a 2nd rd pick.

Kings get Norman Powell (2 years left at 39 Million USD)
Clippers get Kevin Huerter (2 Years left at 36 Million USD) and Colby Jones and pick #45

I think Powell is proven bucket getter&Off Ball Shooter that can replace Monk in a level but undersized and over 30 ages.
Clippers take a talent hit but Huerter is taller and younger body that might got efficient with benefitting other stars shadow. Colby Jones and pick #45 is a sweater for Clippers to solve their end of bench deficiency.
2023 Clippers W/L Count (51-31)
(Russ at bench 42-15)
without PG13 3-3
Without Kawhi 7-4
Without Russ 6-6
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 11,213

Re: Clippers-Kings (Back-up plan for Monk) 

Post#2 » by Mavrelous » Thu May 16, 2024 6:17 am

I'd roll the dice on the cheaper and younger Huerter finding his shot again, both player a defensive liabilities, Huerter has some on ball game.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
tcheco
Sixth Man
And1: 1,224

Post#3 » by tcheco » Thu May 16, 2024 1:16 pm

Kings do that in a blink of an eye. At least they should, I like Norman, he is underated
ejftw
General Manager
And1: 4,140

Post#4 » by ejftw » Thu May 16, 2024 3:12 pm

A mid second in a weak draft doesn't do enough to bridge the gap for me. Jones is as much a prospect as bringing back Keon Johnson would be.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,905

Post#5 » by Skybox » Thu May 16, 2024 3:34 pm

I think ORL should offer Monk $20 x 4 when the FA bell rings (sorry 8-) )

but a possible substitute on a good deal, who is well-suited for the role that Monk has (maybe outgrown)...Cole Anthony. I think he'd likely lose a lot of his minutes to Monk and Anthony Black and Jett Howard are on the runway behind him. I'm hoping Devin Carter is around at #18 too...so, even though ORL will be moving out some UFA's, Cole might be best sent out for some frontcourt depth

Orl sends: Cole Anthony
SAC sends: Trey Lyles

is Lyles a contributor? I remember thinking about him as a draftee, but can't say I've seen much lately

Is Cole for Huerter a realistic thing? ORL can absorb the difference in salary or even include Caleb Houstan, who is a 6'8 spot up 3pt shooter
LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,638

Post#6 » by LightTheBeam » Thu May 16, 2024 3:48 pm

Skybox wrote:I think ORL should offer Monk $20 x 4 when the FA bell rings (sorry 8-) )

but a possible substitute on a good deal, who is well-suited for the role that Monk has (maybe outgrown)...Cole Anthony. I think he'd likely lose a lot of his minutes to Monk and Anthony Black and Jett Howard are on the runway behind him. I'm hoping Devin Carter is around at #18 too...so, even though ORL will be moving out some UFA's, Cole might be best sent out for some frontcourt depth

is Lyles a contributor? I remember thinking about him as a draftee, but can't say I've seen much lately

Is Cole for Huerter a realistic thing? ORL can absorb the difference in salary or even include Caleb Houstan, who is a 6'8 spot up 3pt shooter

I saw conflicting reports. One that said Kings can offer 4/73 and one that said nearly 4/79. I'm not sure 4/80 gets it done to be honest with you.

As for Cole/Trey swap, that's a pretty easy pass from Sac. Even if we lose Monk, we have replacement options on the roster already. Keon is locked in as the starting 2, which means Huerter can shift to a backup scoring guard probably best for him, Colby Jones showed some flashes, and Davion even closed out the season nicely. It's pretty easy to replace a scoring guard with the MLE or less, Trent, Joe, Beasley, Gordon, Lonnie, are names that come to mind as FA this year. Lyles was awesome for us a stretch big who can play the 4 or 5.

No real interest from us for Cole. He hasn't gotten any better, there's a reason Orlando is trying to upgrade him. I wouldn't want his salary on the books.
LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,638

Post#7 » by LightTheBeam » Thu May 16, 2024 3:52 pm

As for the trade, I'd prefer to hold onto Colby and obviously the Kings won't know if Monk is gone prior to the draft.

My offer would be Huerter + Portland 2025 2nd if we confirm Monk leaves in free agency.
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,129

Post#8 » by daoneandonly » Thu May 16, 2024 6:36 pm

Norman Powell doesnt have more value than Huerter. Both are flawed and overpaid, so no reason for Sac to kick in any more value, regardless of how small.
BoogieTime
Head Coach
And1: 2,792

Post#9 » by BoogieTime » Thu May 16, 2024 9:37 pm

Skybox wrote:I think ORL should offer Monk $20 x 4 when the FA bell rings (sorry 8-) )

As already stated, Monk isnt leaving here for 2 million or without a solid raise
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,905

Post#10 » by Skybox » Thu May 16, 2024 10:00 pm

BoogieTime wrote:

As already stated, Monk isnt leaving here for 2 million or without a solid raise

Semantics…make it a front loaded $88m deal, starting at 25m+ and a starter role.

What’s really been determined is that IF ORL decides he’s their guy, they’ll get it done quickly.

I’m hoping they swing bigger…but I don’t see other cap space teams that would make as much sense.
OxAndFox
Analyst
And1: 2,191

Post#11 » by OxAndFox » Fri May 17, 2024 4:03 am

Not a fan of this at all. Norm is a good shooter, but IF, and that's a big if, Monk leaves then the Kings put Huerter to the bench role and go with Keon. No need to spend extra money and/or assets.
ejftw
General Manager
And1: 4,140

Post#12 » by ejftw » Fri May 17, 2024 5:47 am

More I think on this, think it could possibly be a deadline deal if Huerter doesn't play well and the Clips FO decides that a downgrade to get the Portland second is worthwhile.

Return to Trades and Transactions