BKN - SAC

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

Who Wins the Trade?

BKN by a lot
No votes
BKN
No votes
BKN by a little
14%
Both / Fair Trade
43%
SAC by a little
No votes
SAC
14%
SAC by a lot
14%
Neither
14%

Total votes: 7

bpcox05
Veteran
And1: 492

BKN - SAC 

Post#1 » by bpcox05 » Fri May 17, 2024 2:59 pm

---------------------------------------

BKN Gets: Sasha Vezenkov, Chris Duarte, #45, 2025 POR 2nd, 2025 SAC 2nd, & 2026 SAC 2nd
BKN Gives: Dorian Finney-Smith
Why for BKN? The Nets trade their expiring (Finney-Smith) for two expiring contracts Vezenkov & Duarte) allowing the Nets to maintain their cap space for the 2025 offseason. However, instead of having to worry about resigning Finney-Smith to a larger contract, they acquire 4 2nd round picks (one of those a mid-2nd and another will likely be an early 2nd) to give them a handful of swings at finding cheap, young, impactful talent (while keeping their cap space open).

PG - Schroder
SG - Thomas / Duarte
SF - Bridges / Whitehead / Bates-Diop
PF - Johnson / Vezenkov / Wilson
C - Claxton / Simmons / Sharpe / Clowney
Picks - #45

SAC Gets: Dorian Finney-Smith
SAC Gives: Sasha Vezenkov, Chris Duarte, #45, 2025 POR 2nd, 2025 SAC 2nd, & 2026 SAC 2nd
Why for Kings? The Kings are searching for a long, versatile PF that can defend at a high level, help protect the rim/paint a bit, and can space the floor. Finney-Smith fits this description fairly well and would certainly be an upgrade defensively and size-wise over Barnes in the starting lineup. Fox, Ellis, Murray, and Finney-Smith would be a lot of length, versatility, defense, and shooting around Sabonis. This would also give the Kings an excellent bench headlined by Mitchell, Monk (assuming we can resign him), Huerter, Barnes, & Lyles. The team will still be setup to allow Murray the space to grow into that go-to option the Kings need to get to that next level. However, if he doesn’t continue to progress in that direction, the Kings would still have all of their future 1sts intact to go out and find that type of player.

PG - Fox / Mitchell
SG - Ellis / Monk / Jones
SF - Murray / Huerter
PF - Finney-Smith / Barnes
C - Sabonis / Lyles
Picks - #13

BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 14,881

Re: BKN - SAC 

Post#2 » by BK_2020 » Fri May 17, 2024 3:03 pm

The Nets plan should be to fill out their team in 2024 and 2025 offseasons and then sign DFS with Bird rights. If that fails, then the worst that can happen is they lose DFS for nothing but it's not like he's worth much anyway.
psman2
General Manager
And1: 4,976

Post#3 » by psman2 » Fri May 17, 2024 3:15 pm

I think this is ballpark for DFS's value and a good fit for Sac.
psman2
General Manager

Post#4 » by psman2 » Fri May 17, 2024 3:23 pm

BK_2020 wrote:The Nets plan should be to fill out their team in 2024 and 2025 offseasons and then sign DFS with Bird rights. If that fails, then the worst that can happen is they lose DFS for nothing but it's not like he's worth much anyway.

But DFS is going to have something like a 22-23m cap hold, so it is not going to be that easy if Brooklyn really wants to maximize their available space. It would be nice to have his bird rights if FA doesn't work out I guess, but if FA doesn't work out then the Nets are screwed anyways and at that point I rather have the picks then paying DFS at 32 years of age his full free agent market value on team that is going no where.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 90,495

Post#5 » by Texas Chuck » Fri May 17, 2024 3:25 pm

psman2 wrote:I think this is ballpark for DFS's value and a good fit for Sac.

Same. Doesn't mean the Nets will want to do that or doesn't mean a team with extra assets might not give up a late 1st instead, but I think the value is fine, and the fit is good for the Kings and he's not part of any long-term future in Brooklyn,

Deal seems reasonable.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,723

Post#6 » by jbk1234 » Fri May 17, 2024 3:30 pm

The problem you're going to run into is that teams like the Kings all have cap issues. They're going to want to send back Barnes, not two cost-controlled young guys. Maybe Monk leaves anyway, and it's less of a concern, but until that happens, they're going to insist on sending out Barnes or Huerter.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
SNPA
General Manager
And1: 7,359

Post#7 » by SNPA » Fri May 17, 2024 3:31 pm

As a side deal, not the off-season main event, it’s fine’ish. I’d like to see the Sac 2nds removed…at least one of them. Those only make sense if Sac plans to pay him at 32 going forward…I prefer he is looked at as a one year deal with some potential but nothing to count on.
Texas Chuck
And1: 90,495

Post#8 » by Texas Chuck » Fri May 17, 2024 3:35 pm

jbk1234 wrote:The problem you're going to run into is that teams like the Kings all have cap issues. They're going to want to send back Barnes, not two cost-controlled young guys. Maybe Monk leaves anyway, and it's less of a concern, but until that happens, they're going to insist on sending out Barnes or Huerter.

Why? It doesn't matter until the following year and either of those guys can be moved easily as an expiring if DFS is re-signing. If he's not, its a non-issue.

I think they'd actually rather keep the more useful players, particularly since Monk could leave.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,724

Post#9 » by jayjaysee » Fri May 17, 2024 3:43 pm

I think Brooklyn might be able to get a late first for DFS, but this is comparable and a good deal for both sides IMO.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,723

Post#10 » by jbk1234 » Fri May 17, 2024 3:54 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:The problem you're going to run into is that teams like the Kings all have cap issues. They're going to want to send back Barnes, not two cost-controlled young guys. Maybe Monk leaves anyway, and it's less of a concern, but until that happens, they're going to insist on sending out Barnes or Huerter.

Why? It doesn't matter until the following year and either of those guys can be moved easily as an expiring if DFS is re-signing. If he's not, its a non-issue.

I think they'd actually rather keep the more useful players, particularly since Monk could leave.

Not just Monk. Mitchell and Lyles are both free agents as well. Before this trade, they have 12 players making $151M. After they have 11. Kings fans seem pretty sure Barnes is declining, but I'll let them speak to that
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 14,881

Post#11 » by BK_2020 » Fri May 17, 2024 4:11 pm

psman2 wrote:
BK_2020 wrote:The Nets plan should be to fill out their team in 2024 and 2025 offseasons and then sign DFS with Bird rights. If that fails, then the worst that can happen is they lose DFS for nothing but it's not like he's worth much anyway.

But DFS is going to have something like a 22-23m cap hold, so it is not going to be that easy if Brooklyn really wants to maximize their available space. It would be nice to have his bird rights if FA doesn't work out I guess, but if FA doesn't work out then the Nets are screwed anyways and at that point I rather have the picks then paying DFS at 32 years of age his full free agent market value on team that is going no where.

Even so they are probably better off waiting until the deadline and getting a 1st, even if late, but I see your point.
TheBrooklynKidd
Head Coach
And1: 3,640

Post#12 » by TheBrooklynKidd » Fri May 17, 2024 4:11 pm

It doesn’t make sense for Brooklyn to trade DFS on draft night if this is all that’s being offered.
JKiddy
Sixth Man
And1: 330

Post#13 » by JKiddy » Fri May 17, 2024 6:09 pm

I agree. DFS has more value than this trade.

Plus, if they decide to keep him it might be because a certain player on another team would like to play with him again in the near future in BK. I am unsure what the future holds for DFS. But, this track lacks what BK would trade DFS away for. He is extremely, I mean extremely valuable for a contending team.
psman2
General Manager

Post#14 » by psman2 » Fri May 17, 2024 6:17 pm

JKiddy wrote:I agree. DFS has more value than this trade.

Plus, if they decide to keep him it might be because a certain player on another team would like to play with him again in the near future in BK. I am unsure what the future holds for DFS. But, this track lacks what BK would trade DFS away for. He is extremely, I mean extremely valuable for a contending team.

“IF IFS AND BUTS WERE CANDIES AND NUTS, WE’D ALL HAVE A VERY FINE CHRISTMAS.”
TheNetsFan
Head Coach
And1: 2,605

Post#15 » by TheNetsFan » Mon May 20, 2024 12:38 am

With all the teams rumored to be trying to trade out of this "weak" draft, players of DFS's ilk could return a shockingly high pick in this draft, assuming the team trading them are interested in getting into this draft.
SNPA
General Manager
And1: 7,359

Post#16 » by SNPA » Mon May 20, 2024 3:47 am

TheNetsFan wrote:With all the teams rumored to be trying to trade out of this "weak" draft, players of DFS's ilk could return a shockingly high pick in this draft, assuming the team trading them are interested in getting into this draft.

Fair enough. Makes sense, hopefully Sac isn’t a part of it. A 15-20 minute backup PF shouldn’t be a target for Sac.

Return to Trades and Transactions