How to turn Jason Maxiell into Jeff Foster?

Moderators: loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe

Hunter
Sixth Man
And1: 3

How to turn Jason Maxiell into Jeff Foster? 

Post#1 » by Hunter » Tue Jan 8, 2008 4:21 pm

JMax is averaging 9.4 ppg (.576), 5.6 rpg & 1.3 bpg in 23 minutes. Those numbers are actually up over the past 4-6 weeks as he's settled into his role as 6th man. He plays bigger than his size, has a reliable jumper but attacks the basket ferociously.

For what it's worth I envision him as a career 6th man or part time starter. I could see him capping out around 15 & 7 w/ a pair of blocks and decent defense.

The problem is Indy has absolutely no use for Maxiell so we need a 3rd team to help facilitate the trade. I'm not even sure what Indy needs though. Help me out!

Other Detroit assets
Flip Murray, Primoz Brezec, Walter Hermann & Lindsey Hunter (all expiring)
2nd round picks (Minny '09, Tor '09 & '11)
Arron Afflalo (not a throw in...but available if it's worth it)
Pistons '08 1st (again, for the right price)
Oomph
Veteran
And1: 0

Post#2 » by Oomph » Tue Jan 8, 2008 4:33 pm

Indy needs Foster so unless Chauncey or Rip are included in the return package ... NO DEAL!
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,647

Post#3 » by nate33 » Tue Jan 8, 2008 4:51 pm

I like the idea of getting Foster to Detroit, but I don't know how to pull it off. It's tough to work out trades with Indy because they've improved and probably overvalue their players a bit. Also, they have no single position where they're blantantly weak.

I'm sure they'd listen if you could manage to take Troy Murphy's contract off their hands, but I don't see how you're going to get that done with Jason Maxiell.
Hunter
Sixth Man
And1: 3

Post#4 » by Hunter » Tue Jan 8, 2008 4:51 pm

That was not an option. 8)

Seriously though, what does Indy really need him for? You aren't going anywhere with or without him. I'd think you'd try to use him to excavate a bad contract or something. Maybe get a good young player or two that could potentially help your teams long term future. Nothing to say you couldn't try to package him with a Murphy or Tinsley, or hell even a JO trade in a massive rebuild.

Frankly if I'm the Pacers the last thing I want to do is continue along the path of mediocrity I'm currently staring at, and given the lack of options for legitimate, immediate improvement I'd be looking long and hard about what I can do to help facilitate a quick turnaround.

Anyway, even if you disagree w/ my basic premise just humor me and give it a shot. What have you got to lose? Not like Bird is gonna happen along, pull the trigger on some absurd proposal and have all of Pacer nation blame you for the downfall of Pacers basketball for the next decade.
JES12 wrote:Bass just barley turned 23 and is a starting PF on any team without a 8 time all-NBA PF in front of him!
wichmae
RealGM
And1: 1,031

Post#5 » by wichmae » Tue Jan 8, 2008 4:55 pm

Oomph wrote:Indy needs Foster so unless Chauncey or Rip are included in the return package ... NO DEAL!

good early morning laugh......

Thank You :rofl:
xxSnEaKyPxx
RealGM
And1: 15,771

Post#6 » by xxSnEaKyPxx » Tue Jan 8, 2008 6:44 pm

I really don't see the Pacers trading Foster unless we get extraordinary value in return for him. Any deal the Pacers would actually trade him in would have to bring a very good player back. So by saying Hamilton or Billups, clearly Detroit won't do that, but it will take A LOT for the Pacers to trade Foster. That analogy was probably a little far off, but not by much.

Another reason Jeff's value is higher to us is that we are so deep at every position, our point guard is only weakness, and even then Owens and Daniels have been playing good enough to back up Tinsley. With us being so deep, the only way we would make a trade is for a 2v1 for a huge upgrade at a position, not just the same upgrade for a different position. We need something that really improves the team. I don't imagine anything with Jeff Foster involved would do that.
wajr
Bench Warmer
And1: 191

Post#7 » by wajr » Tue Jan 8, 2008 6:47 pm

Introduce him to Micheal Jackson.
Raps Leafs Jays Gennies
sipclip
Head Coach
And1: 1,240

Post#8 » by sipclip » Tue Jan 8, 2008 6:57 pm

Why in the hell would you want to trade Maxiell for Foster? Max is better than Foster already and is 6yrs younger.
Low-Ki
Head Coach
And1: 2

Post#9 » by Low-Ki » Tue Jan 8, 2008 7:01 pm

I wouldn't trade Maxey for Foster. Pistons do need a center with legit defensive credentials, but Id rather use our expirings and our first rounder to get it done, I'd dangle Amir in the deal if we were getting a starting calibre center who wasn't expiring. Hell I'd even bring in PJ Brown if he was interested before trading Maxey for Foster.
loserX
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 26,047

Post#10 » by loserX » Tue Jan 8, 2008 7:04 pm

For Indy to trading a starting centre for an admitted "6th man PF", the add-ons had better be pretty good. I suspect if there's any hope of this at all, what you really need is a 3rd team.
CableKC
RealGM
And1: 10,743

Post#11 » by CableKC » Tue Jan 8, 2008 7:06 pm

nate33 wrote:I like the idea of getting Foster to Detroit, but I don't know how to pull it off. It's tough to work out trades with Indy because they've improved and probably overvalue their players a bit. Also, they have no single position where they're blantantly weak.

I'm sure they'd listen if you could manage to take Troy Murphy's contract off their hands, but I don't see how you're going to get that done with Jason Maxiell.

I try my best to not over-value the players on the Pacers roster ( you can read my comments on JONeal and what I think his trade value is )....but Foster is one of the few players on the roster that does fit the offense/defense that the Pacers run.

He's one of those players on the roster that maybe considered "one-dimensional" to most team but highly valued to the Pacers because of what he adds to the system that JO'B put in place. It doesn't mean that I would require a player like Billups or Rip to be included ( which Oomph suggested ), it does mean that if the Pacers move Foster....the Pacers MUST get back a player that fits the huge hole/need that Foster would vacate. Although Foster does a few things really well ( outstanding offensive rebounder and very solid Big Man defender ), there are few players in the league that does what Foster does much less any that a team would part with.

Honestly, I would move JONeal ( for the right players ) before I consider moving Foster.
- In 2024, you are not voting for a "Democrat" or "Republican". You are voting for the Party that will defend Democracy and protect the most vulnerable among us.

#THE_GOP_IS_DEAD
#IT_IS_THE_PARTY_OF_TRUMP_NOW
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,647

Post#12 » by nate33 » Tue Jan 8, 2008 7:24 pm

CableKC wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I try my best to not over-value the players on the Pacers roster ( you can read my comments on JONeal and what I think his trade value is )....but Foster is one of the few players on the roster that does fit the offense/defense that the Pacers run.

He's one of those players on the roster that maybe considered "one-dimensional" to most team but highly valued to the Pacers because of what he adds to the system that JO'B put in place. It doesn't mean that I would require a player like Billups or Rip to be included ( which Oomph suggested ), it does mean that if the Pacers move Foster....the Pacers MUST get back a player that fits the huge hole/need that Foster would vacate. Although Foster does a few things really well ( outstanding offensive rebounder and very solid Big Man defender ), there are few players in the league that does what Foster does much less any that a team would part with.

Honestly, I would move JONeal ( for the right players ) before I consider moving Foster.

Don't get me wrong. I like Foster too and consider him one of the most underrated players in the NBA. The "overrate their players" part would come in if Detroit told you that one of your other players suck and that their trade offer would improve your team. You probably wouldn't agree.

Another issue is that most of Indy's players are overpaid. Fans generally fail to properly appreciate how much a bad contract detracts from a player's trade value.

Return to Trades and Transactions