Memphis/Chicago/Philly

Moderators: loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe

corwin
Lead Assistant
And1: 13

Memphis/Chicago/Philly 

Post#1 » by corwin » Tue Jan 8, 2008 6:41 pm

Memphis Trade Breakdon

Incoming Players
Rodney Carney
Samuel Dalembert
Tyrus Thomas
Chicago #1 Pick

Outgoing Players
Hakim Warrick
Pau Gasol

Philadelphia Trade Breakdown

Incoming Players
Viktor Khryapa
Joakim Noah
Joe Smith

Outgoing Players
Rodney Carney
Samuel Dalembert

Chicago Trade Breakdown

Incoming Players
Hakim Warrick
Pau Gasol

Outgoing Players
Viktor Khryapa
Joakim Noah
Tyrus Thomas
Joe Smith
#1 pick

I haven't figured out where to include draft picks but I think Memphis will want the Chicago 1st rounder so I've included it in the trade. Not sure about the Sixers.

Why: Chicago gets a low post presence and a back-up, athletic PF to replace Thomas. Chicago basically gives up Thomas & Noah for Gasol. Warrick was included to compensate them for their #1 pick.

Why for Memphis: Memphis gets a young athletic PF, a defensive oriented center in Dalembert, a SF prospect in Carney & Chicago's #1. Helps rebuild into the team Iavaroni wants.

Why for Philly: Philly trades Dalembert but receives Noah who can play center. Khrypa is expiring & Smith is a useful veteran with one remaining year on his contract. Philly also picks up around 4 million in cap space next year for facilitating this deal for Chicago & Memphis.
Cliff Levingston
RealGM
And1: 1,094

Post#2 » by Cliff Levingston » Tue Jan 8, 2008 6:44 pm

The Bulls pass. We're not going to give up both our recent lottery picks + this year's pick + Joe Smith for Gasol; he's not THAT good.
corwin
Lead Assistant

Post#3 » by corwin » Tue Jan 8, 2008 7:37 pm

I had to include Smith because I can't see how else to make this 3-way work. You could take out the #1, Carney, & Warrick and that basically becomes Thomas, Noah, & Smith from Chicago's end. Memphis in that version receives Thomas & Dalembert for Gasol. I'm doubt that they make that move.
HotSpurs21
Analyst
And1: 0

Post#4 » by HotSpurs21 » Tue Jan 8, 2008 7:42 pm

I don't see any reason Memphis would do this. Thomas may be better than Warrick but not by far, but they trade away Gasol to get Dalembert and a mid 1st? (which is where Chicago's pick should be once they get Gasol)

Daly is not old, but he's not really that young anymore, and has pretty much reached his ceiling.
corwin
Lead Assistant

Post#5 » by corwin » Tue Jan 8, 2008 7:56 pm

Well this deal would leave Memphis with:
PG: Conley/Lowry
SG: Mike Miller/JCN
SF: Gay/Warrick
PF: Ty Thomas/Stromile Smith
C: Dalembert/Darko

I think this team would run & be fun to watch. You'd have at least your own lottery pick to add to the mix.
Cliff Levingston
RealGM

Post#6 » by Cliff Levingston » Tue Jan 8, 2008 8:38 pm

corwin wrote:Well this deal would leave Memphis with:

I think this team would run & be fun to watch. You'd have at least your own lottery pick to add to the mix.

Cliff Levingston can never understand why people don't consider this aspect when considering trades like this. If Cliff Levingston is the one with a star player who's marginalized on a floundering team, he tries to get some young talent and cap relief back, but he also tries to make sure that the package he gets back doesn't improve his chances of winning this year. The draft is the easiest place to get your best players so might as well maximize the chance of getting the best player available in the draft.

But the point remains that Chicago won't trade both it's young big men in a trade for (probably) anyone. Their value is severely depleted right now due to a lack of playing time; they're both MUCH better than the common non-Bulls fan gives them credit for. Either we get something close to what their value is to us or we'd be better off just passing on deal.

After this deal, we're left with Gasol/Wallace/Gray/Nocioni/Warrick in the front court without enough room under the luxury tax limit to re-sign both Deng and Gordon and without a draft pick with which to draft a replacement. We'd probably look like this in '08-'09 after this deal:

1. Hinrich, J. Curry
2. Sefolosha, sh*tty FA, Griffin
3. Deng, Nocioni
4. Gasol, Warrick
5. Wallace, Gray

Considering how Hinrich is not a scorer, that's a pathetic scoring back court with very little outside shooting ability. Not to mention Wallace will be further declined and the only consolation would be if we can trade him for something of value when he's expiring or sign a MLE center with the money gained by his expiring contract.
roseorbust
Senior
And1: 6

Post#7 » by roseorbust » Tue Jan 8, 2008 8:40 pm

corwin wrote:Well this deal would leave Memphis with:

NO team out of this three way says yes... that's hard to make a trade that bad.. you can improve it sometime maybe right? :)
Cliff Levingston
RealGM

Post#8 » by Cliff Levingston » Tue Jan 8, 2008 8:44 pm

Another point. Provided the Bulls were willing to do this, Memphis would just cut Philly out and take Noah and Smith themselves. Smith's deal is far from a killer and Noah is younger, faster, much cheaper and probably better than Dalembert.
roseorbust
Senior
And1: 6

Post#9 » by roseorbust » Tue Jan 8, 2008 10:18 pm

Cliff Levingston wrote:Another point. Provided the Bulls were willing to do this, Memphis would just cut Philly out and take Noah and Smith themselves. Smith's deal is far from a killer and Noah is younger, faster, much cheaper and probably better than Dalembert.

Younger-Check, but dalembert is young two.
Faster-Maybe, Dalembert is know for running the floor well
Cheaper- Check
Better- NO WAY
Cliff Levingston
RealGM

Post#10 » by Cliff Levingston » Tue Jan 8, 2008 10:29 pm

roseorbust wrote:Younger-Check, but dalembert is young two.

True, but Noah is much close in line with their remaining cornerstones: Gay and Conley.

roseorbust wrote:Faster-Maybe, Dalembert is know for running the floor well

Yes, he's faster. Noah runs and moves like a small forward, and he can handle the ball like a small forward too which only helps on an uptempo team.

roseorbust wrote:Cheaper- Check

Which is ridiculously important to a rebuilding team, which is exactly what they'd be doing if they traded Gasol.

roseorbust wrote:Better- NO WAY

Not that PER is the end-all of stats, but Noah's PER this season is 18 compared to Sam's 16.7. Maybe Noah isn't better quite yet, but if given actual playing time, he would be by the end of next season at the latest, ICLO.
corwin
Lead Assistant

Post#11 » by corwin » Tue Jan 8, 2008 10:51 pm

Cliff Levingston wrote:Another point. Provided the Bulls were willing to do this, Memphis would just cut Philly out and take Noah and Smith themselves. Smith's deal is far from a killer and Noah is younger, faster, much cheaper and probably better than Dalembert.

Your points are all valid. Of course it would be tough to trade both young bigs. However, I don't see how you can get Gasol who makes 13 million unless you either A) include Wallace or one of the BYC players or B) involve a 3rd team & that's what this trade does.
hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,586

Post#12 » by hermes » Tue Jan 8, 2008 11:40 pm

Cliff Levingston wrote:The Bulls pass. We're not going to give up both our recent lottery picks + this year's pick + Joe Smith for Gasol; he's not THAT good.

ya i don't see paxon throwing all of those picks in a trade

Return to Trades and Transactions