Small trade:GS and Orlando deal

Moderators: loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe

darobster17
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Small trade:GS and Orlando deal 

Post#1 » by darobster17 » Wed Jan 9, 2008 1:02 am

We deal MP and Kosta Perovic for Maurice Evans and Brian Cook.

GS and Orlando does this deal to solidify their benches.

The only drawback for the W's is Cook's three year contract which is relatively cheap according to hoophsypes salaries. He can shoot threes and can rebound. W's could throw in a second round pick if Orlando wants.
kookie_819
Assistant Coach
And1: 55

Post#2 » by kookie_819 » Wed Jan 9, 2008 1:04 am

This deal can't be done right now as Cook and Evans were traded during the season, but yes, I definitely do this as a Magic fan.
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,909

Post#3 » by gswhoops » Wed Jan 9, 2008 1:10 am

I wouldn't do this as a GS fan.
giberish
RealGM
And1: 5,935

Post#4 » by giberish » Wed Jan 9, 2008 1:24 am

Replace Cook with Dooling and it makes more sense for GS. Cook's contract isn't that big, but for a guy with 12th man ability it's still too much.
darobster17
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#5 » by darobster17 » Wed Jan 9, 2008 1:26 am

My rationale for the deal for the W's is they need something in return for Mp and I think Evans(EC) and Cook will provide better bench production than MP and Kosta(if he even plays for Nellie)

Why else would they recall him?

Evans drives to the hoop more and I think under Nellie could thrive under uptempo system. Cook will provide some size,rebounding and perimeter shooting.
St.Nick
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#6 » by St.Nick » Wed Jan 9, 2008 1:33 am

Very bad deal for GS.

Cook makes like $3.5M/yr for the next three seasons. That's a major blow to take for a sucky player.

Mo Evans is...another bench SG. Whoopide doo. He leaves as a FA at the end of the year.

Big time pass from GS.
giberish
RealGM
And1: 5,935

Post#7 » by giberish » Wed Jan 9, 2008 1:36 am

darobster17 wrote:My rationale for the deal for the W's is they need something in return for Mp and I think Evans(EC) and Cook will provide better bench production than MP and Kosta(if he even plays for Nellie)

Why else would they recall him?

Evans drives to the hoop more and I think under Nellie could thrive under uptempo system. Cook will provide some size,rebounding and perimeter shooting.

While I agree that the Warriors need a rotation player back (not just an insurance pg) if they trade Pietrus - that's what Evans is for in the deal.

Cook just isn't a good NBA player. While an acceptable end of the bench guy he shouldn't be in any team's regular rotation and is overpaid at anything above the league minimum. Croshere is a better option for anything Cook brings and doesn't hurt the Warriors luxury tax situation in 08-09.
turk3d
RealGM
And1: 1,277

Post#8 » by turk3d » Wed Jan 9, 2008 4:50 am

giberish wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

While I agree that the Warriors need a rotation player back (not just an insurance pg) if they trade Pietrus - that's what Evans is for in the deal.

Cook just isn't a good NBA player. While an acceptable end of the bench guy he shouldn't be in any team's regular rotation and is overpaid at anything above the league minimum. Croshere is a better option for anything Cook brings and doesn't hurt the Warriors luxury tax situation in 08-09.

+1
Draymond Green: Exemplifies Warrior Leadership, Hustle, Desire, Versatility, Toughness, fearlessness, Grit, Heart,Team Spirit, Sacrifice
old rem
RealGM
And1: 1,080

Post#9 » by old rem » Wed Jan 9, 2008 5:12 am

giberish wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

+2

Cook soon becomes a non asset using a roster spot. For a "keeper" multiple years is good. For a minor patch..not good. Cook is taller than Pietrus-yet does not play bigger and sure won't run as well. W's may do Pietrus for Arroyo,but ...this? Pass.
CENSORED... No comment.

Return to Trades and Transactions