Interesting Knicks/Cavs/Magic/Kings Swap

Moderators: loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe

gr3en
Rookie
And1: 18

Interesting Knicks/Cavs/Magic/Kings Swap 

Post#1 » by gr3en » Tue Jan 8, 2008 3:39 pm

Successful Trade Scenario
Congratulations on a successful trade.
Due to New York, Cleveland, Orlando and Sacramento being over the cap, the 25% trade rule is invoked. New York, Cleveland, Orlando and Sacramento had to be no more than 125% plus $100,000 of the salary given out for the trade to be accepted, which did happen here. This trade satisfies the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

Trade ID #4394864

New York Trade Breakdown
Change in Team Outlook: -4.2 ppg, +1.2 rpg, and -0.4 apg.
Incoming Players
Larry Hughes
6-5 SG from St. Louis
9.6 ppg, 2.6 rpg, 2.3 apg in 27.9 minutes
Ron Artest
6-7 SF from St. John's
19.1 ppg, 6.0 rpg, 4.3 apg in 40.4 minutes
Kenny Thomas
6-7 PF from New Mexico
1.4 ppg, 2.6 rpg, 0.6 apg in 12.2 minutes
Outgoing Players
Randolph Morris
6-11 C from Kentucky
5.0 ppg, 0.0 rpg, 0.0 apg in 4.9 minutes
Renaldo Balkman
6-7 SF from South Carolina
2.5 ppg, 2.8 rpg, 0.5 apg in 12.1 minutes
Fred Jones
6-2 SG from Oregon
6.1 ppg, 2.2 rpg, 2.1 apg in 23.7 minutes
Jerome James
7-1 C from Florida A&M
No games yet played in 2007/08
Malik Rose
6-7 PF from Drexel
2.0 ppg, 2.0 rpg, 0.4 apg in 10.1 minutes
Jamal Crawford
6-5 SG / PG from Michigan
18.7 ppg, 3.0 rpg, 4.6 apg in 40.8 minutes
Cleveland Trade Breakdown
Change in Team Outlook: -4.9 ppg, -3.1 rpg, and -1.4 apg.
Incoming Players
Malik Rose
6-7 PF from Drexel
2.0 ppg, 2.0 rpg, 0.4 apg in 10.1 minutes
J.J. Redick
6-5 SG from Duke
3.2 ppg, 0.3 rpg, 0.5 apg in 9.2 minutes
Tony Battie
6-11 PF / C from Texas Tech
Outgoing Players
Cedric Simmons
6-10 PF from North Carolina State
0.5 ppg, 2.8 rpg, 0.0 apg in 10.7 minutes
Larry Hughes
6-5 SG from St. Louis
9.6 ppg, 2.6 rpg, 2.3 apg in 27.9 minutes
Orlando Trade Breakdown
Change in Team Outlook: +15.5 ppg, +2.7 rpg, and +4.1 apg.
Incoming Players
Jamal Crawford
6-5 SG / PG from Michigan
18.7 ppg, 3.0 rpg, 4.6 apg in 40.8 minutes
Outgoing Players
J.J. Redick
6-5 SG from Duke
3.2 ppg, 0.3 rpg, 0.5 apg in 9.2 minutes
Tony Battie
6-11 PF / C from Texas Tech
Sacramento Trade Breakdown
Change in Team Outlook: -6.4 ppg, -0.8 rpg, and -2.3 apg.
Incoming Players
Randolph Morris
6-11 C from Kentucky
5.0 ppg, 0.0 rpg, 0.0 apg in 4.9 minutes
Renaldo Balkman
6-7 SF from South Carolina
2.5 ppg, 2.8 rpg, 0.5 apg in 12.1 minutes
Fred Jones
6-2 SG from Oregon
6.1 ppg, 2.2 rpg, 2.1 apg in 23.7 minutes
Jerome James
7-1 C from Florida A&M
Cedric Simmons
6-10 PF from North Carolina State
0.5 ppg, 2.8 rpg, 0.0 apg in 10.7 minutes
Outgoing Players
Ron Artest
6-7 SF from St. John's
19.1 ppg, 6.0 rpg, 4.3 apg in 40.4 minutes
Kenny Thomas
6-7 PF from New Mexico
1.4 ppg, 2.6 rpg, 0.6 apg in 12.2 minutes

Knicks:

Curry - Lee
Randolph - Thomas - Jeffries
Artest - Chandler
Hughes - Q - Mardy
Marbury - Nate

Take a risk with Artest and Hughes but could ultimately pay-off. Both would provide a defensive upgrade to the backcourt. Lose some youth but unload some dead weight(Malik and Jerome) at the same time. Opens up more playing time for Chandler.

Cavs:

Z - Varejao - Battie
Gooden - Marshall - Rose
Lebron - D.Brown - Newble
Pavlovic - S.Brown - Redick
Gibson - Da.Jones - Snow

cut Dw.Jones

Basically splits Hughes' deal into 2 smaller deals(Redick, Battie) and 1 shorter deal(Malik). Saves them a considerable amount of money($7,867,998 in guaranteed money to be exact)

Kings:

Miller - Williams - Hawes
Moore - Simmons - SAR
Salmons - Garcia - Balkman
Martin - D.Jones - F.Jones
Bibby - Udrih - Douby

Cut James,Morris

Continue with their youth movement. They basically do two trades here. One is Artest for F.Jones(expiring), Balkman(athletic SF) and Simmons(athletic defensive minded PF/C). The other is Kenny Thomas(2 years remaining) for Jerome James(2 years remaining) and Randolph Morris(expiring, young PF/C). I see the later part being a sweetener although it could easily be ommitted.

Magic:

Howard - Foyle - Gortat
Hedo - Garrity - Augustine
Lewis - Evans - Cook
Crawford - Bogans - Dooling
Nelson - Arroyo

They solidify their SG position with Jamal Crawford(3 years in exchange for injured Tony Battie(2 years remaining) and little used JJ Redick(2 years remaining). Crawford will also be able to spend time at PG as insurance if Dooling and/or Arroyo bolt. Basically get a starting calibur SG for 2 unused players. Crawford could also be switched with Q-Rich if Orlando doesn't want to take on the additional year on Crawford's contract.

Worked on this for quite a while so your comments would be welcomed. Thanks. :D
Smills91
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#2 » by Smills91 » Tue Jan 8, 2008 3:41 pm

What's the point in dealing Kenny Thomas if you get Jerome James fat ass back in return. That's a DOWNGRADE. Also, if there's no David Lee to Sacramento, then there's no Ron Artest to NY. It's really that simple.
gr3en
Rookie

Post#3 » by gr3en » Tue Jan 8, 2008 4:06 pm

Jerome's deal is smaller than Kenny's and you get Morris' expiring to make up the difference. This deal actually saves Sacramento close to $11M in guaranteed money. I know Simmons plus Balkman isn't quite David Lee at the moment but I think both have potential to be if not better at 2 positions you could use depth in. In the limited time Simmons has played, he's actually managed to average 1 block per game.

I worked on the premise that the emergence of Salmons, the possibility of losing Artest for nothing and the need to unload SAR and/or KT.
ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,429

Post#4 » by ecuhus1981 » Tue Jan 8, 2008 5:04 pm

This is not a bad trade at all, gr3en. I'm going to do some tweaking, if you don't mind...

Smills: Simmons + Balkman is about as close as you're going to get Lee in an Artest trade, unless you send Garcia back to NY. I would agree with you, though, that moving KT loses its value when you have to absorb Jerome in return. It is NOT a downgrade, but it's not move SAC would make if they're moving Artest.

Morris needs to go to ORL; they add salary and a former lottery pick. Redick isn't blazing a trail through the NBA right now, but he has value...
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
Smills91
Banned User

Post#5 » by Smills91 » Tue Jan 8, 2008 5:12 pm

ecuhus1981 wrote:This is not a bad trade at all, gr3en. I'm going to do some tweaking, if you don't mind...

Smills: Simmons + Balkman is about as close as you're going to get Lee in an Artest trade, unless you send Garcia back to NY. I would agree with you, though, that moving KT loses its value when you have to absorb Jerome in return. It is NOT a downgrade, but it's not move SAC would make if they're moving Artest.

Morris needs to go to ORL; they add salary and a former lottery pick. Redick isn't blazing a trail through the NBA right now, but he has value...

Pass...Lee ALONE isn't enough for Artest...it starts with Lee + more to pry Artest. This is where Knick fans generally are off base with their proposals. Any deal involving Ron going to NY STARTS with Lee, it doesn't end with him.

Kings will hold onto Ron. He's much more valuable to us than a couple of rotational young players that we have plenty of already.
DanTown8587
RealGM
And1: 9,332

Post#6 » by DanTown8587 » Tue Jan 8, 2008 5:24 pm

For the record, Jerome James has a player option for six million plus in 09-10, and I bet he picks it up.

Knicks would definitely have to give Lee to the Kings, and probably a 1st rounder considering the talent they are getting for giving up Artest.
loserX
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 26,047

Post#7 » by loserX » Tue Jan 8, 2008 5:47 pm

Smills91 wrote:What's the point in dealing Kenny Thomas if you get Jerome James fat ass back in return. That's a DOWNGRADE.

Of course it's a downgrade. You're not going to get a shorter contract for an UPGRADE to Kenny Thomas. You can choose: better player with worse contract, or worse player with better contract. What were you hoping for?

If you don't like this deal, that's understandable. But the point of trading Kenny Thomas in any deal is to get out of his contract at least a year earlier...that means getting a worse player back.
Bac2Basics
RealGM
And1: 3
Location: "Are you like a crazy person? I'm quite sure they will say so."

Post#8 » by Bac2Basics » Tue Jan 8, 2008 6:29 pm

1 - This trade is lousy for Sacramento

2 - quit with the lazy cut & paste posting of trades
Smills91
Banned User

Post#9 » by Smills91 » Tue Jan 8, 2008 7:28 pm

loserX wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Of course it's a downgrade. You're not going to get a shorter contract for an UPGRADE to Kenny Thomas. You can choose: better player with worse contract, or worse player with better contract. What were you hoping for?

If you don't like this deal, that's understandable. But the point of trading Kenny Thomas in any deal is to get out of his contract at least a year earlier...that means getting a worse player back.

Oh if it were KT - JJ straight up I'd agree with you whole heartedly...however you have this guy, kinda a difference maker, package WITH K9. When you package Artest then jerome James is the absolute LAST name mentioned in any negotiations. The Knicks are drooling over getting Ron Ron and with good cause...he has the ABILITY to turn their franchise around. And THAT is why it will cost them Lee +.
gr3en
Rookie

Post#10 » by gr3en » Wed Jan 9, 2008 12:11 am

Smills91 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Oh if it were KT - JJ straight up I'd agree with you whole heartedly...however you have this guy, kinda a difference maker, package WITH K9. When you package Artest then jerome James is the absolute LAST name mentioned in any negotiations. The Knicks are drooling over getting Ron Ron and with good cause...he has the ABILITY to turn their franchise around. And THAT is why it will cost them Lee +.

I did a revised version of the first deal i proposed to make it a little more attractive(Lee) to you

KNICKS

Give:
Morris, Rose, Lee, James, Crawford, Jones
Get
Hughes, Artest, Simmons, Thomas

Lineup:
Curry - Simmons
Randolph - Jeffries - Thomas
Artest - Balkman - Chandler
Hughes - Q -
Marbury - Nate - Mardy

Reasons:
Upgrade defensively the expense of Lee. Simmons is still young and is known for his interior D which the Knicks could really use.

CAVS

Give:
Hughes, Simmons
Get:
Rose, Battie, Augustine

Lineup:
Z - Varejao - Dw.Jones
Gooden - Rose - Battie - Augustine
Lebron - Newble - Marshall
Pavlovic - D.Brown - S.Brown
Gibson - Da.Jones - Snow

cut Dw.Jones/Augustine

Reasons:
Split hughes deal into 3 smaller and shorter deals.

ORLANDO

Gives:
Redick, Augustine, Battie
Gets:
Crawford, Morris

Lineup:
Howard - Foyle - Gortat
Hedo - Garrity - Morris
Lewis - Evans - Cook
Crawford - Bogans - Dooling
Arroyo - Nelson

Reasons:
Get a starting calibur SG and add a young PF/C who happens to be a buddy of Dwight and is an expiring contract in exchange for 3 hardly used players.

SACRAMENTO:

Gives:
Artest, Thomas
Gets:
F.Jones, Lee, J.James, Redick

Lineup:
Miller - Hawes - Williams
Lee - Moore - SAR
Salmons - Garcia - D.Jones
K-Mart - F. Jones - Redick
Bibby - Udrih - Douby

Cut James/Williams

Reasons:
Get their starting PF for the future in David Lee. Exchange little used Kenny Thomas for Jerome James(same length of contract but less dollars) and 2 expiring contracts of F.Jones and Redick(next year is TO).
Artest and Lee are both difference makers in their respective specialties and probably hold close value throughout the league. A core of Lee - Salmons - Kmart would be nice to build around.
Tommy Trojan
Assistant Coach
And1: 36

Post#11 » by Tommy Trojan » Wed Jan 9, 2008 4:26 am

Sacremento would make out great
SacKingZZZ
RealGM
And1: 1,082

Post#12 » by SacKingZZZ » Wed Jan 9, 2008 6:45 am

The Kings shouldn't have to take on James when the prize piece is something the Kings feel isn't worth Ron in Balkman.
Bac2Basics
RealGM
And1: 3
Location: "Are you like a crazy person? I'm quite sure they will say so."

Post#13 » by Bac2Basics » Wed Jan 9, 2008 4:17 pm

Kings just say no to Jerome James.
hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,586

Post#14 » by hermes » Wed Jan 9, 2008 5:26 pm

Smills91 wrote:What's the point in dealing Kenny Thomas if you get Jerome James fat ass back in return. That's a DOWNGRADE. Also, if there's no David Lee to Sacramento, then there's no Ron Artest to NY. It's really that simple.

ya

knicks have to give up lee for artest

Return to Trades and Transactions