Offers for Amir Johnson

Moderators: loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe

yunggunz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1

Post#61 » by yunggunz » Wed Jan 9, 2008 11:47 pm

princeofpalace wrote: You can call me "clueless" all you want just as easily as I can call you clueless for thinking that Salmons/Thomas would be a great value for Detroit.

You could, but I never said that.

Look, Amir has great upside, but it looks like its going to take a lot longer to reach that upside than originally thought. No team is going to give up a lotto pick, which will make less than half the money that amir makes and will be locked in for at least 4 years, for a second round pick that has done absolutely nothing in the NBA. Thats just ludicrous.
Hunter
Sixth Man
And1: 3

Post#62 » by Hunter » Wed Jan 9, 2008 11:48 pm

Look, Amirs value is NOT very high. Which is exactly WHY the Pistons best option is hang onto him and hope he develops.

IF he does he could be a Shawn Marion type player. But obviously that is no guarantee and in fact may even be a long shot.

But we'll take our chances. ;-) It's low risk/high reward. Judging by the offers and his projected value it doesn't cost us much to ride it out see what happens, clearly making that our best line of action.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 15,350

Post#63 » by shrink » Wed Jan 9, 2008 11:49 pm

The market has shown you what he's worth. Thirteen teams may have inquired about him, but it looks like nobody offered more than he $4 mil ave over 3 years he got from the Pistons. That's what he's worth. Now that he has a higher paycheck than the rest offered, and his numbers have gone down each year, his contract restricts his value.
princeofpalace
RealGM
And1: 1,636

Post#64 » by princeofpalace » Wed Jan 9, 2008 11:54 pm

shrink wrote:The market has shown you what he's worth. Thirteen teams may have inquired about him, but it looks like nobody offered more than he $4 mil ave over 3 years he got from the Pistons. That's what he's worth. Now that he has a higher paycheck than the rest offered, and his numbers have gone down each year, his contract restricts his value.

The Spurs did.

His numbers have not gone down each year because this is his first year actually in the NBA.

Anyways this discusion can go on forever, I have already stated that apparently he has no value to the fans, we can just leave it at that.
ss1986v2
Sixth Man

Post#65 » by ss1986v2 » Wed Jan 9, 2008 11:59 pm

princeofpalace wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

The Spurs did.

i dont remember any press here in sa about amir getting a 4 mil+ offer from the spurs. there was talk about amir for about 2 days, and then it came down from detroit that he had resigned. got any links?

the biggest spurs rumor this last summer was ime udoka for 3yr/9mil (was out of portland). that swirled for a couple of weeks and then he signed for a 2yr/2mil deal. so even if there was rumor, dont trust them. they are almost never true.
Stupidity Should be Painful!
yunggunz
Lead Assistant

Post#66 » by yunggunz » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:05 am

princeofpalace wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

The Spurs did.

His numbers have not gone down each year because this is his first year actually in the NBA.

Anyways this discusion can go on forever, I have already stated that apparently he has no value to the fans, we can just leave it at that.

No, he got a 4 year 12 mill offer. Thats the highest of any team aside from the pistons.

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/vi ... p?t=272225
ss1986v2
Sixth Man

Post#67 » by ss1986v2 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:11 am

yunggunz wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

No, he got a 4 year 12 mill offer. Thats the highest of any team aside from the pistons.

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/vi ... p?t=272225

now that i could see RC offering. its right in line with what we ended up giving bonner (3yr/9mil).
princeofpalace
RealGM
And1: 1,636

Post#68 » by princeofpalace » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:16 am

The Spurs re-signed two of their own free agents Thursday, solidifying deals with forward Matt Bonner (three years, $9 million) and Jacque Vaughn (two years, $2.5 million). They had hoped to also sign Detroit forward Amir Johnson to an offer sheet, but he agreed to take less money (three years, $11 million) to stay with the Pistons.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA071307.01D.BKNspurs.trade.35d9aa1.html
loserX
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 26,047

Post#69 » by loserX » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:19 am

princeofpalace wrote:
The Spurs re-signed two of their own free agents Thursday, solidifying deals with forward Matt Bonner (three years, $9 million) and Jacque Vaughn (two years, $2.5 million). They had hoped to also sign Detroit forward Amir Johnson to an offer sheet, but he agreed to take less money (three years, $11 million) to stay with the Pistons.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA071307.01D.BKNspurs.trade.35d9aa1.html

So Dumars was willing to be outbid on him? That doesn't sound like the level of attachment that's been implied in this thread.
ss1986v2
Sixth Man

Post#70 » by ss1986v2 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:21 am

princeofpalace wrote:

well, 4yr/12mil is technically more money (12>11, lol), just not per year, as you implied.
yunggunz
Lead Assistant

Post#71 » by yunggunz » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:21 am

princeofpalace wrote:

yes, 11 million is less than 12 million.
dunkonu21
Lead Assistant
And1: 40

Post#72 » by dunkonu21 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:08 am

Amir Johnson is awesome....But I can not believe that no one replied to the Stuckey and Amir for Corey Brewer....How can you not be intrigued by that?...The Corey Brewer who was picked 7th in last years draft, ya him!...What if the Wolves added Gomes?

Corey Brewer and Ryan Gomes for Stuckey and Amir...I'm pretty sure most Wolves fans wouldn't do that, but it'll be interesting to see if you all are homers or not...
roc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 983

Post#73 » by roc » Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:24 am

dunkonu21 wrote:Amir Johnson is awesome....But I can not believe that no one replied to the Stuckey and Amir for Corey Brewer....How can you not be intrigued by that?...The Corey Brewer who was picked 7th in last years draft, ya him!...What if the Wolves added Gomes?

Corey Brewer and Ryan Gomes for Stuckey and Amir...I'm pretty sure most Wolves fans wouldn't do that, but it'll be interesting to see if you all are homers or not...

For our needs Stuckey > Brewer.

We can't count on Flip Murray or Lindsey Hunter to back up Billups much, Stuckey can, as well as backing up Rip. So far 2 steals per in low minutes and still learning and adjusting.
the crux of the biscuit is the apostrophe
Hunter
Sixth Man
And1: 3

Post#74 » by Hunter » Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:38 am

dunkonu21 wrote:Amir Johnson is awesome....But I can not believe that no one replied to the Stuckey and Amir for Corey Brewer....How can you not be intrigued by that?...The Corey Brewer who was picked 7th in last years draft, ya him!...What if the Wolves added Gomes?

It's not about value, it's about needs. We wouldn't trade Stuckey for Brewer whether Amir was involved or not.

You need to understand that Stuckey is the 1st guard off the bench backing up both Rip AND Chauncey. He's solidified a backup pg position that has been a weakness for us for years. And he brings a slashing element we've also sorely lacked.

Whether Brewer is "better" or has more "value" is a moot point for us. We are trying to fill holes and this creates one.

Gomes is in the same boat. Heck, if we did this trade we'd have Prince, Brewer & Hayes at SF and Dice, Maxiell & Hermann at PF. Where is Gomes going to get minutes? At C? No thanks. Especially not since he'd frequently be paired w/ the similarly undersized Maxiell.

A deal revolving around Afflalo & Amir for Brewer would make a fair bit more sense from Detroits perspective, although we'd still need to find a way to unload the logjam at SF.
KJ7
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2

Post#75 » by KJ7 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:11 am

Any interest in Banks since he started playing better? Possibly a TE for one of your expirings and Banks for Amir if that's gonna make it better. ie. gives you instant relief off your salary.

I must admit that I'm not all that familiar with Amir's game but there was some interest from our board during the offseason and things I've read make me think he could be a nice fit.

Can anyone elaborate on his game? There was a run-down before but it was a little too bias for my liking. Saying he can shoot out to the 3pt line is a little misleading when he is only making 28.6% eFG on his jumpers.

Is there a reason he's only getting junk time these days but you still gave him a decent sized contract for a guy that had played 11 games in 2 seasons up to that point?
BDM22
RealGM
And1: 4,295

Post#76 » by BDM22 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:19 am

Sorry, but I wouldn't trade Stuckey for Brewer alone. Brewer's draft position doesn't mean much of anything to the Pistons. Stuckey is a crucial piece to the Pistons bench. Brewer would be playing for our D-league affiliate. He's just too raw offensively, and Flip would never go for it.
BDM22
RealGM
And1: 4,295

Post#77 » by BDM22 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:41 am

KJ7 wrote:Is there a reason he's only getting junk time these days but you still gave him a decent sized contract for a guy that had played 11 games in 2 seasons up to that point?

I won't respond to the rest of your post, because you'll probably call me biased.

Why'd Joe give him a contract? Simple. It was unlikely that he was going to get PT on the Pistons behind Sheed, Dice, Max, (Webber last year, and Big Ben the year before) as an 18/19 year old. But every time he got on the court at any level, he played very well. Even when he was called up with the Pistons he played well. And just because the minutes weren't there right away doesn't mean you just let a super talented 20 year old big man walk.

The problem now is Flip Saunders. He made it well known he didn't like the hype Amir was getting coming into the year, and appears to have taken it out on him. The fact that Amir also had a bad ankle sprain to start the year virtually killed his chances at the rotation this year. On this team, young guys have to come out of the gates firing if they want a second chance, but coming off an injury to start the year made that virtually impossible. Pistons fans can only hope Joe D sends down the word to force him on the court before this turns into Darko pt2.
fugop
Veteran
And1: 9

Post#78 » by fugop » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:58 am

I like Amir, but as a Wiz fan, we've got Blatche in a similar position, and possibly Pecherov. I wouldn't immediately dismiss a deal with Nick Young and Amir as the principals, but I don't think it could work roster-wise.

Return to Trades and Transactions