multiple gasol to bulls options

Moderators: loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe

dflaschberger
Analyst
And1: 0

multiple gasol to bulls options 

Post#1 » by dflaschberger » Wed Jan 9, 2008 1:36 pm

After last nite's loss to the knicks, it's time for a change for the bulls. Our problem is that we like all (except wallace) of our players, but we are starting to realize they're not going to take us to a title as is. However, with some change, we could win multiple titles.
The stumbling blocks are if management is willing to spend more. The bulls are, by far, the most profitable team in the nba (according to Forbes)-but they need to spend more to insure long-term hyper-support and profits.

Memphis, on the other hand, lost the second most in the nba last year (forbes) and is going nowhere right now. They have nice young players but struggle in a small market with an overpriced roster. They need a stud in the lottery and future $ flexibility while reducing their current payroll.

With this in mind, we all know that gasol to the bulls makes sense, it's just doing a fair deal. Here are my 3 options.

1. I posted this last week:
Bulls get Gasol and Malik Rose
Knicks get Ben Wallace and SSwift
Memphis gets ECurry, Nocioni and the bulls' #1 this year (no protection)
NOTE: I also had thabo and gray going in Noc's place

NY gets the defense they desparately need, trying to save IT's job. Rose to swift is a nice upgrade for them too. Finally, it clears curry from the 2010 cap, in their longterm run at LeBron

Memphis gets a 5 to play with darko, a nice 6th man in noc (who adds some toughness and shooting) a potential lottery pick (bulls are currently at #10) and saves them some $

2. I think this might be new-I haven't seen it here:
Lakers get BWallace and VK from Bulls
Bulls get Vlad from Lakers, Gasol from memphis
Memphis gets KBrown from Lakers (expiring), Nocioni and TThomas from Bulls, plus their #1 (lottery protected)

Lakers could use Wallace. he is not playing poorly, just overpaid. A 3 man big rotation of ben, bynum and lamar would work well for the lakers-their time is now. Plus, they dump Vlad

Bulls, of course get their man. They lose Thomas (a blow) but Vlad might actually help them with Noc gone.

Memphis gets Noc (they must be interested in him if the GM flew to Argentina this summer), a great prospect in Thomas, a nice expiring and a pick. Thomas and Gay are a nice 3/4 combo

3. Bulls really roll the dice:
Right now, Joe SMith is our best player. That might be sad, but I've always thought he was better than given credit for. Not worth a #1 pick, but a very nice player. I would think lots of teams would love him to try and push themselves over the top (Magic and Suns come to mind)

Let's try-
Suns get Joe Smtih (or Orlando)
Chicago gets Gasol
Memphis gets TThomas and Nocioni-smith's salary fits the TE, plus the ATL pick (top 15 protected) and the bulls' pick (top 10 protected)

Or Orlando sends expirings plus the rights to Fran and a future #1 to Memphis

The Suns might balk, but Smith is EXACTLY what they need. He's solid on D and killer in the pick n roll with Kirk-imagine with Nash! They need to win now, he might push them over the edge out west in 25 minutes a nite.

Orlando would be obvious
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,633

Post#2 » by nate33 » Wed Jan 9, 2008 2:13 pm

Chicago is not getting Gasol by giving up Nocioni, a pick and a negative value contract like Wallace. It's not even close. Heck, you need to give up that pick just to dump Wallace. So the rest of the trade is Nocioni for Gasol. Memphis laughs at you.
Morris_Shatford
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors
And1: 5,453

Post#3 » by Morris_Shatford » Wed Jan 9, 2008 2:58 pm

nate33 wrote:Chicago is not getting Gasol by giving up Nocioni, a pick and a negative value contract like Wallace. It's not even close. Heck, you need to give up that pick just to dump Wallace. So the rest of the trade is Nocioni for Gasol. Memphis laughs at you.

I have a stupid question for you Nate, since I am somewhat of a newb to this board.

Since Wallace's contract is such a weight on the bulls, do you think they would attach someone like Noah in order to get rid of it, or is that far to high?
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,633

Post#4 » by nate33 » Wed Jan 9, 2008 4:00 pm

Yes, they would need to attach Noah to get rid of it. I don't know if the Bulls are willing to do that, they might just prefer to keep Wallace. But I know nobody else wants Wallace (except in exchange for an equally bad contract).
Cliff Levingston
RealGM
And1: 1,094

Post#5 » by Cliff Levingston » Wed Jan 9, 2008 6:14 pm

Ben Wallace for Malik Rose and Jerome James. Everyone knows Isiah would do it.
dflaschberger
Analyst

Post#6 » by dflaschberger » Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:59 am

I say wallace is playing alright, just WAY overpaid. For the Lakers he'd fit (they can afford him). For IT-the knicks need a defensive big BAD-plus he doesn't want to shoot-great for that team of chuckers
jefe
General Manager
And1: 646

Post#7 » by jefe » Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:33 am

Enough with the Memphis wants Nocioni nonsense. True Wallace went down to Argentina to persuade him to sign with the Grizz as a free agent. But here's the key .... if Noc signed as a free agent, he could play next to Gasol ... that is the key, that is the point, that is the entirety of the Grizz's interest in Noc. If the concept is to trade Gasol for Noc, then Memphis has zero interest in Noc.
dflaschberger
Analyst

Post#8 » by dflaschberger » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:57 pm

or could they want his toughness and shooting? Your point is valid, but Noc is a nice player
jefe
General Manager
And1: 646

Post#9 » by jefe » Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:01 pm

dflaschberger wrote:or could they want his toughness and shooting? Your point is valid, but Noc is a nice player

Yes - to put next to Pau Gasol. How many times does this have to be repeated before it sticks?

Return to Trades and Transactions