Trae Young moves

Moderators: loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe

shakes0
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,984

Re: Trae Young moves 

Post#101 » by shakes0 » Thu Feb 15, 2024 4:15 pm

wemby wrote:
shakes0 wrote:
wemby wrote: :lol: Sure, that's why Brad Stevens sent Smart & Brogdon packing rather than Derrick White. It's hard for me to take you seriously after this, but I'll try.

so if a player is traded that means that any players remaining on that team are automatically better than the departed players? Is that really the formula you're trying to pass off as logic?

Clippers traded SGA and kept Landry Shamet. By your logic, Shamet is better than SGA.

Also are we just completely ignoring the other teams in the trades, i.e. the team that asked for those players rather than White? I'm pretty sure that's how trades work. Its not like teams asked Boston for a random player of Boston's choosing.

Just pointing this out to emphasize who dumb your logic is above.

If a player is traded because his team prefers to build their future on someone else, yes, it does speak loud and clear.

Concerning the circumstances surrounding SGA's trade from the Clippers to OKC, it is well known that the Clippers tried to keep him away from negotiations but it was a deal breaker for OKC, and since Kawhi DEMANDED the Clippers landed Paul George for him to sign as a free agent, the Clippers reluctantly caved in and let go of SGA in order to get both Kawhi and Paul George. In fact Doc Rivers spoke recently about this, he confessed he asked if there was any other way and there wasn't.

As it pertains the specific White/Celtics case, you're disingenuously trying to put into question the circumstances of those trades, when it is well known that the Celtics had already tried to move Brandon to the Clippers (for a late 1st I believe) and it ultimately fell apart because of medical concerns on the part of the buyers, so it was the Celtics actively looking to move Brogdon (more than once). As for Smart, he was clearly getting outplayed by Derrick White and the Celtics made him available, with no reports indicating Derrick White was, but rather the opposite is true.

So I don't know what it is you're trying to accomplish here by twisting very well known circumstances to fit your narrative, that is not an honest or smart way to make your case. I can understand you having a preference and standing by it, but this isn't the way to go about it.

I think it's obvious what I'm doing. Your argument is stupid so I'm responding with equal stupidity.
wemby
Senior
And1: 357

Post#102 » by wemby » Thu Feb 15, 2024 4:38 pm

shakes0 wrote:
wemby wrote:
shakes0 wrote:so if a player is traded that means that any players remaining on that team are automatically better than the departed players? Is that really the formula you're trying to pass off as logic?

Clippers traded SGA and kept Landry Shamet. By your logic, Shamet is better than SGA.

Also are we just completely ignoring the other teams in the trades, i.e. the team that asked for those players rather than White? I'm pretty sure that's how trades work. Its not like teams asked Boston for a random player of Boston's choosing.

Just pointing this out to emphasize who dumb your logic is above.

If a player is traded because his team prefers to build their future on someone else, yes, it does speak loud and clear.

Concerning the circumstances surrounding SGA's trade from the Clippers to OKC, it is well known that the Clippers tried to keep him away from negotiations but it was a deal breaker for OKC, and since Kawhi DEMANDED the Clippers landed Paul George for him to sign as a free agent, the Clippers reluctantly caved in and let go of SGA in order to get both Kawhi and Paul George. In fact Doc Rivers spoke recently about this, he confessed he asked if there was any other way and there wasn't.

As it pertains the specific White/Celtics case, you're disingenuously trying to put into question the circumstances of those trades, when it is well known that the Celtics had already tried to move Brandon to the Clippers (for a late 1st I believe) and it ultimately fell apart because of medical concerns on the part of the buyers, so it was the Celtics actively looking to move Brogdon (more than once). As for Smart, he was clearly getting outplayed by Derrick White and the Celtics made him available, with no reports indicating Derrick White was, but rather the opposite is true.

So I don't know what it is you're trying to accomplish here by twisting very well known circumstances to fit your narrative, that is not an honest or smart way to make your case. I can understand you having a preference and standing by it, but this isn't the way to go about it.

I think it's obvious what I'm doing. Your argument is stupid so I'm responding with equal stupidity.

Yeah, refuting that Derrick White isn't better than Smart or Brogdon on basis of the Celtics preferring to deal both of them to keep White was really poor of me. Sorry, I don't know what I was thinking. Anyways,have a nice life, it was really enlightening engaging in conversation with you.
Frankie
Sophomore
And1: 125

Post#103 » by Frankie » Fri Feb 16, 2024 2:44 pm

Does Atlanta have control of their own picks the next couple of years?
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 21,601

Post#104 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Fri Feb 16, 2024 3:12 pm

I find the Lakers rumors here quite amusing. Anyone think there's a realistic chance? Feels like strong post-deadline cope imo.
Bornstellar
General Manager
And1: 17,697

Post#105 » by Bornstellar » Fri Feb 16, 2024 3:29 pm

As I keep saying the Spurs are in a unique position to trade with the Hawks because they have the best asset that they can get - their own picks. Trading Young to someone else for picks ensures they will either bottom out and give top 5 picks to SA in 3 straight drafts while hoping that whatever team they trade Young to ends up sucking in 5-6 years in hopes of getting a lotto picks out of it. Seems like a long time to wait for them. If they decided to take one of those packages mentioned on the first page they're likely looking at some mid to late 1sts 5 years down the line or some mediocre picks in the next draft or two.

This is one reason I think Young will ultimately be traded to SA because of SA owning their draft from 2025-2027, the Spurs need for a PG and star player to pair with Wemby, and the fact that this is the only trade partner that could allow the Hawks to regain control of their own destiny and let them hope for Flagg in 2025 or Boozer in 2026.

Return ATLs picks (2025, 2026 swap, 2027), Spurs 2025 1st (top 3 protected), Chicago's 2025 1st (top 10 protected), and maybe one other future Spurs 1st (2026) or swap rights down the road (2028) + whatever filler they want (Keldon, Jones, etc. Sochan/Vassell I would not part with yet). That's basically 5 picks, swap rights, and young players for Young. I think that's a pretty good offer, especially if Young wants to play in SA with Wemby
Bornstellar
General Manager
And1: 17,697

Post#106 » by Bornstellar » Fri Feb 16, 2024 3:35 pm

wemby wrote:I wish people realized that if the Spurs wanted to get a PG, they would have landed a good one already, for relatively cheap. But it seems clear the team DOES NOT want to maximize their short term chances, but their long term chances. That is, THEY'RE TANKING this year, and possibly the next one as well.
Spurs have said multiple times (owner Peter J Holt, GM Brian Wright, Pop) that they're not going to rush anything, and their track record backs their claims. They can monitor the market and maybe make a move, but it's naive to think they're going to throw everything they have at the first available target "just because".

I disagree. I think they held off from doing anything this season to ensure they will (likely) have two top 10 picks in the 2024 draft. If a trade for Young is to be made it wouldn't be til the offseason regardless.

I think if they end up with two top 10 picks this season and draft someone like Risacher and Buzelis (for example), they are in a perfect spot to add a PG that can accelerate their timeline. I don't think trading for Young along is "rushing" anything, personally

I wouldn't say a trade centered mostly on returning ATL their picks is throwing everything at them either. Spurs would still have all of, or most of, their own picks, a couple other swaps down the line, and a boatload of 2nd rounders. We'd still be in control of our own draft with the potential to make other moves.
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 21,601

Post#107 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Fri Feb 16, 2024 3:41 pm

There should be a Chuck bot that just comes in and says no one has ever prioritized getting their own picks back when the idea gets posted.
kobe_vs_jordan
General Manager
And1: 4,509

Post#108 » by kobe_vs_jordan » Fri Feb 16, 2024 4:27 pm

MoneyTalks41890 wrote:I find the Lakers rumors here quite amusing. Anyone think there's a realistic chance? Feels like strong post-deadline cope imo.

Somebody has establish the low end of the market price lol Trae young bidding starts at 3 picks and reaves , rui , and Vincent . I assume Spurs start their bidding at two top 10 picks and Vasell and Graham
TheBrooklynKidd
Head Coach
And1: 3,636

Post#109 » by TheBrooklynKidd » Fri Feb 16, 2024 4:56 pm

MoneyTalks41890 wrote:There should be a Chuck bot that just comes in and says no one has ever prioritized getting their own picks back when the idea gets posted.

With the current success rate of these all in style trades, I wouldn’t be surprised if a team proved him wrong.

Would anyone really be shocked if one of the Nets, Hawks, Suns or even the Bucks tried to get some of their picks back at some point?
TheBrooklynKidd
Head Coach
And1: 3,636

Post#110 » by TheBrooklynKidd » Fri Feb 16, 2024 4:58 pm

kobe_vs_jordan wrote:
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:I find the Lakers rumors here quite amusing. Anyone think there's a realistic chance? Feels like strong post-deadline cope imo.

Somebody has establish the low end of the market price lol Trae young bidding starts at 3 picks and reaves , rui , and Vincent . I assume Spurs start their bidding at two top 10 picks and Vasell and Graham

I think that’s a super low “low end”

It’ll probably be a bidding war between the Spurs, Jazz and Nets.

My money is on the Hawks getting their picks back from the spurs.
kobe_vs_jordan
General Manager

Post#111 » by kobe_vs_jordan » Fri Feb 16, 2024 5:06 pm

TheBrooklynKidd wrote:
kobe_vs_jordan wrote:

Comparable to a Donovan Mitchell package. Trae Young isn't KD tier.
kobe_vs_jordan
General Manager

Post#112 » by kobe_vs_jordan » Fri Feb 16, 2024 5:09 pm

TheBrooklynKidd wrote:
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:There should be a Chuck bot that just comes in and says no one has ever prioritized getting their own picks back when the idea gets posted.

With the current success rate of these all in style trades, I wouldn’t be surprised if a team proved him wrong.

Would anyone really be shocked if one of the Nets, Hawks, Suns or even the Bucks tried to get some of their picks back at some point?

Think there a difference in prioritizing to get your own picks back and ending up with your picks back.

Hard to put a value in getting your own picks back .
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 64,370

Post#113 » by Celts17Pride » Fri Feb 16, 2024 6:21 pm

Read on Twitter
Ball4life32
Analyst
And1: 2,507

Post#114 » by Ball4life32 » Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:01 pm

Don’t think KOC has ever been right about anything Atlanta related at least.
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,698

Post#115 » by jayjaysee » Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:24 pm

For fun..

Charlotte..
louc1970
Senior
And1: 192

Post#116 » by louc1970 » Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:48 pm

kobe_vs_jordan wrote:

I think the Spurs would be crazy not to make the trade. My choices would be Johnson, Graham and filler, Atlanta’s 25, 27 returned, 26 swap rescinded, and SAS 26 FRP.
With Young, Wemby, Vassell, Sochran, and the 2 possible picks from this year, Spurs will be a late 26 pick (devalued).
louc1970
Senior
And1: 192

Post#117 » by louc1970 » Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:56 pm

TheBrooklynKidd wrote:
kobe_vs_jordan wrote:

The Spurs have the LEAST costly options.
The fear Atlanta has is the Spurs making a big play for another player using those Atlanta picks.
Assume the Spurs pick up the PG Topic in the draft. It lessens the need for Young. Those picks now go over to say NOP in a trade for Ingram, or to Charlotte for Bridges, or to Phoenix for Booker (if KD gets a wandering eye again). Even Denver for Murray.
Atlanta is tanking whether they trade Young.
Gus Fring
Pro Prospect
And1: 875

Post#118 » by Gus Fring » Sun Feb 18, 2024 5:12 pm

I'm pretty surprised at the amount of people who don't think Trae and Wemby would be an excellent foundation to build a contender around. Do people really think the Hawks troubles are all because of Trae? He hasn't played with anyone whose even sniffed the all star team, yet he has led a top 10 offense almost every year and has made it to the conference finals. Imagine him playing with Wemby whose someone whose already bending defenses. He may even be a top 10 defense by himself kind of guy. Not only that, but there skillsets fit each other so well, it's almost too good to be true.

I mean, theres just no reason to believe the Spurs can realistically do better than this by building through the draft and free agency. Nobody builds through free agency anymore, and the Spurs may never get the opportunity to draft who they need. There's also no reason to believe the Hawks can get multiple high lottery picks from somewhere else. It's a home run trade for both teams. If the Hawks decide to trade Trae, this is the best outcome for both teams.
dms269
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 1,551

Post#119 » by dms269 » Sun Feb 18, 2024 6:00 pm

Gus Fring wrote:Do people really think the Hawks troubles are all because of Trae?

They do. Trae isn't innocent in all of this and I have my issues with him as well. However most fans, looking from the outside in, don't see the entire picture. He is also an easy target.
The moderator formerly known as uga_dawgs24
OriAr
Sophomore
And1: 97

Post#120 » by OriAr » Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:29 pm

dms269 wrote:
Gus Fring wrote:Do people really think the Hawks troubles are all because of Trae?

They do. Trae isn't innocent in all of this and I have my issues with him as well. However most fans, looking from the outside in, don't see the entire picture. He is also an easy target.

To me it seems most of the Hawks' problems are due the ownership and FO (Hard to separate those in Atlanta) being incompetent.

Return to Trades and Transactions