Instant Reaction: What Do The Thunder Do This Off-Season?

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

tcheco
Sixth Man
And1: 1,224

Re: Instant Reaction: What Do The Thunder Do This Off-Season? 

Post#121 » by tcheco » Tue May 21, 2024 6:22 pm

Now hear me out...
Isaiah Stewart had a big jump on his 3p% this year, and could see it be even better playing in OKC, could see a lot more open look... at 3.8 shots per game, 38% is pretty decent. His rebouding and toughness should help too.

What would take to get him? Giddey makes not much sense with Sasse, Cade, Ivey there already... Dieng + 2 picks?
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,924

Post#122 » by gswhoops » Tue May 21, 2024 7:21 pm

tcheco wrote:Now hear me out...
Isaiah Stewart had a big jump on his 3p% this year, and could see it be even better playing in OKC, could see a lot more open look... at 3.8 shots per game, 38% is pretty decent. His rebouding and toughness should help too.

What would take to get him? Giddey makes not much sense with Sasse, Cade, Ivey there already... Dieng + 2 picks?

Even if you assign minimal value to Dieng, 2 1sts for Stewart seems like an awful lot.
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,924

Post#123 » by gswhoops » Tue May 21, 2024 7:25 pm

ConSarnit wrote:
gswhoops wrote:Not exactly earth-shattering but I have a hard time finding an offseason I like better for OKC then Giddey + a bunch of picks for Lauri then signing Hartenstein

Chet/iHart
Lauri/Jaylin/Kenrich
Jdub/Wiggins
Dort/Joe
SGA/Cason

Hartenstein is probably looking for close to $20m (similar to what Poeltl got). I don't know if it makes sense to invest that much money in a backup C. If I'm OKC I'm pushing hard on ORL to get WCJ. He's a solid all around C who is a bigger body and can space the floor. Perfect guy to play 25mpg. Only makes the MLE. I'd overpay (slightly) to get him. That should leave OKC with more than enough assets to pursue a star should one become available. Try to extend Joe to a sub $10m/yr deal.

Yeesh if Hartenstein really is looking at that much, yeah, I'd probably look into cheaper options. WCJ is a good idea. I do think that OKC needs to get a legitimate heavy 5 to play 20-25 minutes a night both backing up Chet and next to him when OKC wants to go with a two-big look.

Whatever happens, OKC has to start making moves soon. They have 2 years of salary flexibility before things get tight. The time is now.

Agreed 110%
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 8,036

Post#124 » by BlazersBroncos » Tue May 21, 2024 7:50 pm

Giddey + Dieng + Williams + #12 for Wendell Carter JR + 2025 DEN FRP (Likely as a 3-team trade where ORL gets a scoring guard)

Sign Paul George starting 46M

Shai Gilgeous-Alexander 35.86M
Lou Dort 16.5M
Wendell Carter JR 11.95
Chet Holmgren 10.88M
Cason Wallace 5.55M
Jalen Williams 4.78M
Isaiah Joe 2.16M
Jaylin Williams 2.02M
Aaron Wiggins 1.99M
Cap Hold 1.1M (Est)
Cap Hold 1.1M (Est)
Cap Hold 1.1M (Est)
TOTAL – 94.99M
CAP – 141M
SPACE – 46.01M

G – Shai Gilgeous-Alexander / Cason Wallace / Patty Mills (VM)
G – Lou Dort / Isaiah Joe / Aaron Wiggins / Lindy Waters (VM)
G – Jalen Williams / Aaron Wiggins / Torrey Craig (BAE)
F – Paul George / Chet Holmgren / Yuta Watanabe (VM)
C – Chet Holmgren / Wendell Carter JR / Jaylin Williams / Mike Muscala (VM)
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,734

Post#125 » by jayjaysee » Tue May 21, 2024 8:17 pm

I know it’s too early to start the renegotiate/extend Bridges thread.. But..it’s never too early.

Is there anything that says you can’t renegotiate multiple seasons?

Meaning if OKC traded for Bridges at the draft, could they renegotiate him in January and pay him 37 mil this year, 37 mil next year type and keep it pretty flat on future years? Bridges gets an extra 26-27 million guaranteed money now and the team avoids the risk of him actually getting a max deal? The quick answer is no, but I don’t see what actually makes it a no?

But on that train..

Giddey, Wiggins, 12th, and whatever else to Brooklyn
Bridges to OKC, roll over the cap space to 2025. Give Bridges all the way to his max next year and keep him below 40 million a year on future years once Chet/Cason get paid.
cjmcallist
Sixth Man
And1: 773

Post#126 » by cjmcallist » Tue May 21, 2024 8:19 pm

We don't need a star, but now would be an ideal time to add one. If we can't (probably we can't), then shift and try to round out the roster.

First: Try to sign OG - get rejected. Make halfhearted calls to Pascal and PG13 - get rejected. Turn to the trade market.

Second: Use Dieng, Kenrich, cap space, and picks to make a trade. Try to keep him, but use Giddey if required. Use Cason as a last resort for the Dream Targets.
Dream Targets (make calls, get rejected unless something hits the fan)
Giannis
Tatum
Bam
JJJ

More Realistic (in rough order)
Lauri
Naz Reid (not sure if MIN actually wants to save money)
WCJ
Mik. Bridges
Avdija
J. Collins
DFS
K. Johnson
Okongwu
Z. Collins
-Could use some help determining the realistic list. Ideally, getting two of these guys would be the goal. Pulling in (for example) Lauri on a trade then extend and then trading for DFS would be great. Similarly, trading for Bridges and WCJ would also be great. etc.

Finally: Decline Aaron Wiggins T.O. and extend him with bird rights (b/c now we're over the cap) for 3/$21m. Pickup the option on Isaiah Joe and hope he's willing to wait until next year to extend.

SGA / Cason
Dort / Joe
JDub / {trade}
{trade} / Giddey
Chet / JWill or {trade}
Monky15
Starter
And1: 712

Post#127 » by Monky15 » Tue May 21, 2024 8:27 pm

I like Bobby Portis as a fit but can't see how to pry him from the Bucks. Big body, happy to come off the bench, loves to shoot, Cheap. I think Stewart also could work but he is about to start a new deal at over 16M per season which they can afford but its a bit steep to have to pay him that much after shelling out assets to get him.
psman2
General Manager
And1: 4,983

Post#128 » by psman2 » Tue May 21, 2024 8:35 pm

cjmcallist wrote:We don't need a star, but now would be an ideal time to add one. If we can't (probably we can't), then shift and try to round out the roster.

Do you think OKC would go after Hartenstein or Claxton? Both UFA. Seems like that is where I would start after star hunting. Neither are perfect fits but do address needs and would not deplete you of assets you could use later in a bigger star trade.
cjmcallist
Sixth Man
And1: 773

Post#129 » by cjmcallist » Tue May 21, 2024 9:19 pm

psman2 wrote:
cjmcallist wrote:We don't need a star, but now would be an ideal time to add one. If we can't (probably we can't), then shift and try to round out the roster.

Do you think OKC would go after Hartenstein or Claxton? Both UFA. Seems like that is where I would start after star hunting. Neither are perfect fits but do address needs and would not deplete you of assets you could use later in a bigger star trade.

I personally would not, but I'd be curious to hear about other OKC fans. You make some good points, but I don't think that either one would let us play the way we want to play. It's going to be pretty hard for us to find a big that does what Chet does (even a lite version).
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 21,670

Post#130 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Tue May 21, 2024 9:28 pm

cjmcallist wrote:
psman2 wrote:

I personally would not, but I'd be curious to hear about other OKC fans. You make some good points, but I don't think that either one would let us play the way we want to play. It's going to be pretty hard for us to find a big that does what Chet does (even a lite version).

Clax is going to be too expensive for the more limited role, and he can’t shoot a lick. Hartenstein would be great at 18 AAV. At 20, he’s overpaid imo.
Wolveswin
General Manager
And1: 2,669

Post#131 » by Wolveswin » Tue May 21, 2024 9:28 pm

First: Try to sign OG - get rejected. Make halfhearted calls to Pascal and PG13 - get rejected. Turn to the trade market.

Second: Use Dieng, Kenrich, cap space, and picks to make a trade. Try to keep him, but use Giddey if required. Use Cason as a last resort for the Dream Targets.
Dream Targets (make calls, get rejected unless something hits the fan)
Giannis
Tatum
Bam
JJJ

More Realistic (in rough order)
Lauri
Naz Reid (not sure if MIN actually wants to save money)
WCJ
Mik. Bridges
Avdija
J. Collins
DFS
K. Johnson
Okongwu
Z. Collins
-Could use some help determining the realistic list. Ideally, getting two of these guys would be the goal. Pulling in (for example) Lauri on a trade then extend and then trading for DFS would be great. Similarly, trading for Bridges and WCJ would also be great. etc.

Finally: Decline Aaron Wiggins T.O. and extend him with bird rights (b/c now we're over the cap) for 3/$21m. Pickup the option on Isaiah Joe and hope he's willing to wait until next year to extend.

SGA / Cason
Dort / Joe
JDub / {trade}
{trade} / Giddey
Chet / JWill or {trade}

This is a really good post.

Naz Reid would come with a tax - a trading within conference, with a WCF future opponent tax.

Wallace + Dieng + #12 might be opening offer. And I am not even sure Connolly could save face doing that trade.
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 21,670

Post#132 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Tue May 21, 2024 9:56 pm

Wolveswin wrote:
Wallace + Dieng + #12 might be opening offer. And I am not even sure Connolly could save face doing that trade.

Cason wouldn’t be on the table for Naz. He’s going to be an expiring contract this upcoming season and he can’t be extended.
psman2
General Manager
And1: 4,983

Post#133 » by psman2 » Tue May 21, 2024 10:02 pm

MoneyTalks41890 wrote:
cjmcallist wrote:
psman2 wrote:

Clax is going to be too expensive for the more limited role, and he can’t shoot a lick. Hartenstein would be great at 18 AAV. At 20, he’s overpaid imo.

Hartenstein graded out as great defender this year in various advance stats. I think OKC would have no problem playing him 28 minutes and sharing the floor with Chet for 10-12 minutes. He has a shot out to 10 feet or so and I really thought he was going to develop a 3pt shot too a few years ago...he nails them in practice rumor...so maybe he has a Lopez like second half to his career still. I would like for Memphis to find a way to SNT for him, but NY would just keep him for the max money that the SNT is allowed for. Claxton is a little too small and has not much in the way of a shot to speak off so I understand the hesitancy with him.

I would have no problem paying IHart a 4/90. I think he is better than Poeltl who is paid similar and requires assets to obtain. I know you don't want Poeltl either but OKC does need something and should evaluate all options.
dygaction
Head Coach
And1: 4,771

Post#134 » by dygaction » Tue May 21, 2024 10:32 pm

Bentley1225 wrote:They need a stretch 4 and more bench scoring.

I’d target trading for Lauri Markannen and signing Spencer Dinwiddie with exemption money.

Example:

Giddey + #12 + 2025 Utah pick returned + 2026 2nd most favourable 1st between Houston/OKC/LAC for Markannen.

Sign Dinwiddie for 2+1, 3 years, $39 million (3rd year option)

I would do the same but add more picks to also get Kessler. For OKC that's what their picks should be used for.
Lauri/Chet/Kessler

Dinwiddie you might be overpaying.
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 20,443

Post#135 » by Colbinii » Tue May 21, 2024 10:35 pm

MoneyTalks41890 wrote:
cjmcallist wrote:
psman2 wrote:

You can't go from great at 18 Million AAV to overpaid at 2 Million AAV more. Given how many metrics love Hartenstein, I think his floor is what Poeltl signed for [I think Hartenstein this year was very comparable to what Poeltl's peak is/was thought of at the time of his contract] and Hartenstein is signing in the future, so +10% AAV seems fair.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
DowJones
RealGM
And1: 6,876

Post#136 » by DowJones » Tue May 21, 2024 10:40 pm

jayjaysee wrote:I know it’s too early to start the renegotiate/extend Bridges thread.. But..it’s never too early.

Is there anything that says you can’t renegotiate multiple seasons?

Meaning if OKC traded for Bridges at the draft, could they renegotiate him in January and pay him 37 mil this year, 37 mil next year type and keep it pretty flat on future years? Bridges gets an extra 26-27 million guaranteed money now and the team avoids the risk of him actually getting a max deal? The quick answer is no, but I don’t see what actually makes it a no?

But on that train..

Giddey, Wiggins, 12th, and whatever else to Brooklyn
Bridges to OKC, roll over the cap space to 2025. Give Bridges all the way to his max next year and keep him below 40 million a year on future years once Chet/Cason get paid.

The "whatever else" is doing the heavy lifting here. Yeah, trading Giddey and a few mid first round picks for a great fit like Bridges a dream scenario but for the life of me I can't figure out why Brooklyn would do this.

What premium asset is OKC going to give up for Bridges? For Lauri? For Mobley? That is where you have to start any trade discussion. Piling on these draft picks in the 12-25 range only gets you so far. There needs to be a real premium asset coming back if OKC is going to get a player like Bridges or Lauri.
Wolveswin
General Manager
And1: 2,669

Post#137 » by Wolveswin » Tue May 21, 2024 11:00 pm

MoneyTalks41890 wrote:
Wolveswin wrote:

Cason wouldn’t be on the table for Naz. He’s going to be an expiring contract this upcoming season and he can’t be extended.

Yet another reason Reid is very unrealistic target.
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,734

Post#138 » by jayjaysee » Tue May 21, 2024 11:34 pm

DowJones wrote:
What premium asset is OKC going to give up for Bridges? For Lauri? For Mobley? That is where you have to start any trade discussion. Piling on these draft picks in the 12-25 range only gets you so far. There needs to be a real premium asset coming back if OKC is going to get a player like Bridges or Lauri.

When did this rule kick in?

Imagine Utah telling Cleveland they can only have Mitchell if they include Garland or Mobley… or.. Ant for Rudy.. Simmons for Butler.. any premier asset for Pascal… I’m sure the list is very long if I didn’t want to be lazy.

We’ve seen multiple superstars/stars traded over the last few years for unknown future picks but for OKC they can’t stack assets?

I wouldn’t compare Mobley to Bridges or Lauri though. Mobley is much more valuable IMO.

If we are talking about actual superstars, sure make Presti pay til it hurts. But Bridges and Lauri are not that and OKC can have the top offer without offering that “premium” asset.. (an LAC first on 2026 or 2027 is pretty premium IMO though..)
OKC2008
Freshman
And1: 26

Post#139 » by OKC2008 » Tue May 21, 2024 11:42 pm

The best fit for OKC is for sure JJJ..
he has two years of contract that is the perfect salary timeline for OKC, and he would be awesome in a frontcourt with Chet.. they could be easily the best defensive frontcourt in the league..

I don’t think Memphis is shopping him so Presti need an overpay, but he has the assets to do it

A three team trade in which OKC give up Giddey, Dieng and three/four FRP could be the base of the deal
HadAnEffectHere
Sixth Man
And1: 940

Post#140 » by HadAnEffectHere » Tue May 21, 2024 11:48 pm

OKC2008 wrote:The best fit for OKC is for sure JJJ..
he has two years of contract that is the perfect salary timeline for OKC, and he would be awesome in a frontcourt with Chet.. they could be easily the best defensive frontcourt in the league..

I don’t think Memphis is shopping him so Presti need an overpay, but he has the assets to do it

A three team trade in which OKC give up Giddey, Dieng and three/four FRP could be the base of the deal

At no point watching the Thunder last year did I think "the Thunder need another below average scoring elite defending guy who can't rebound"

Return to Trades and Transactions