Thoughts in General, Random Rumors and Musings, Blah Blah 14.0 Eddie Najera Edicion

Moderators: loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe

Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 90,223

Re: Thoughts in General, Random Rumors and Musings, Blah Blah 14.0 Eddie Najera Edicion 

Post#1721 » by Texas Chuck » Sun May 12, 2024 10:31 pm

Other than Luka, I'm never a draft expert. But seems easy. If the team holding the number 1 picks thinks Sarrs sucks, don't pick him and pick someone else.

If you pick a guy because its what draft express or whomever says, you are an idiot. So total non-issue. Pick the good prospect. Duh.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
HadAnEffectHere
Sixth Man
And1: 894

Re: Thoughts in General, Random Rumors and Musings, Blah Blah 14.0 Eddie Najera Edicion 

Post#1722 » by HadAnEffectHere » Sun May 12, 2024 10:39 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:Other than Luka, I'm never a draft expert. But seems easy. If the team holding the number 1 picks thinks Sarrs sucks, don't pick him and pick someone else.

If you pick a guy because its what draft express or whomever says, you are an idiot. So total non-issue. Pick the good prospect. Duh.

The issue is that there aren't good prospects this year and Sarr is easily the best prospect because there's some chance he learns how to shoot and actually becomes a star. The likely #3 pick is a 6'1" PG with short arms who can't create separation. The projected #5 pick was the 4th best player on a team that went 2-32 in the G-League.
TheBrooklynKidd
Head Coach
And1: 3,635

Post#1723 » by TheBrooklynKidd » Sun May 12, 2024 10:44 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:So on topic with what led to that derail.... I could see Atlanta moving the #1 overall pick in a deal that brought them Bridges. He really is a good fit for them and with some other moves I think they could talk themselves into being very competitive right away.

What I can't see is why Brooklyn turns that down. Bridges value is only continuing to go down. So much of his value is in that cheap contract. And contenders don't want him to be a first option, so just because he put up numbers for 20 games after the KD trade as a forced 1st option, doesn't mean he returns first option return. Because he's not that guy.

So flip him for an elite prospect, get even cheaper for your big FA plans and stars weren't coming to Brooklyn to play with him anyway. Utah posters are making similar mistakes with Lauri. His value is going down not up. And I just don't see how him on a max is great value or leading Utah to contention. He's not getting better just more expensive.

I know its tough to be a mediocre team with a good, but not great young player and to want outrageous return because well he's our best player. But asset management is vital. And if you could get #1 overall this year? Yeah I'm doing that. Maybe the guy is never as good as Bridges. Obviously. If it was a guarantee well Atlanta never considers it. But the path to contention seems clearer for sure.

Happy to discuss it.

I want to start by saying I don’t think there’s a single elite prospect in this draft. I would go as far to suggest that Anthony Black would be the favorite to go #1 this year.

My opinion is more of an indictment of this draft than a testament to Bridges’ value.

In fact, if I was in charge, the second Donovan Mitchell’s situation was stable I would be shopping Bridges.

His value will decline and now is the time to move him.

If they do shop him, he will likely be the most coveted player in a trade market devoid of true stars.

I’m much more interested in seeing what other teams would offer than gambling on this year’s crop of prospects.
Texas Chuck

Post#1724 » by Texas Chuck » Sun May 12, 2024 10:45 pm

There are good players here. Trust your scouts and pick one. I don't expect the teams at the top of the draft to pass when their turn comes because they will get stuck with a Wiseman bad contract.

Now obviously if the Nets feel like you(I think teams aren't nearly as groupthink as RealGM posters about drafts) then trade Bridges for something else. But with rare exceptions, first overall picks return good players. And you have to go all the way back to Bennett to find a draft where you couldn't have logically picked a great player at 1. The times teams missed, there were elite prospects available. And that's really the only year.

This draft will have stars in it. Amateur draft evaluators just aren't as good as they think they are. And by amateur I don't mean just you, I mean people who have conned people like you into thinking they are NBA-level talent evaluators. If they were, they'd work for an NBA team not a website.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
HadAnEffectHere
Sixth Man
And1: 894

Post#1725 » by HadAnEffectHere » Sun May 12, 2024 10:59 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:There are good players here. Trust your scouts and pick one. I don't expect the teams at the top of the draft to pass when their turn comes because they will get stuck with a Wiseman bad contract.

Now obviously if the Nets feel like you(I think teams aren't nearly as groupthink as RealGM posters about drafts) then trade Bridges for something else. But with rare exceptions, first overall picks return good players. And you have to go all the way back to Bennett to find a draft where you couldn't have logically picked a great player at 1. The times teams missed, there were elite prospects available. And that's really the only year.

This draft will have stars in it. Amateur draft evaluators just aren't as good as they think they are. And by amateur I don't mean just you, I mean people who have conned people like you into thinking they are NBA-level talent evaluators. If they were, they'd work for an NBA team not a website.

The NBA did their own big board this year with their own professional scouts for the purpose of distributing medical data.

It was basically exactly the same as the current mock drafts.

So like.

This is literally the one year where it makes no sense to say this.

https://www.blazersedge.com/2024/5/5/24149544/nba-2024-draft-mock-portland-trail-blazers-alexandre-sarr-matas-buzelis-stephon-castle-clingan

Unless you think the NBA's paid scouts suck or something.
TheBrooklynKidd
Head Coach
And1: 3,635

Post#1726 » by TheBrooklynKidd » Sun May 12, 2024 11:05 pm

HadAnEffectHere wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:There are good players here. Trust your scouts and pick one. I don't expect the teams at the top of the draft to pass when their turn comes because they will get stuck with a Wiseman bad contract.

The NBA did their own big board this year with their own professional scouts for the purpose of distributing medical data.

It was basically exactly the same as the current mock drafts.

So like.

This is literally the one year where it makes no sense to say this.

https://www.blazersedge.com/2024/5/5/24149544/nba-2024-draft-mock-portland-trail-blazers-alexandre-sarr-matas-buzelis-stephon-castle-clingan

Unless you think the NBA's paid scouts suck or something.

I would’ve voted for Stephon Castle.

If I had to put money on someone in this class becoming a star it’s Castle.

He’s got that dawg in him, just needs to develop some sort of jump shot.
Texas Chuck

Post#1727 » by Texas Chuck » Sun May 12, 2024 11:09 pm

I think not using your own scouts and allowing other teams to make draft decisions for you is dumb, yes.

But I clicked you link and right away can get it isn't at all what you claim it to be either so no idea why you want to misrepresent like that.

I think you just have bough the this draft sucks line hook line and sinker and so will take anything to justify that. I know we have mock guys miss badly every year and very few of them ever go back and own that. They just plow ahead knowing people who consume their stuff never go back and actually check their work. They just blindly accept it year after year.
Texas Chuck

Post#1728 » by Texas Chuck » Sun May 12, 2024 11:11 pm

Your own link says wrote: The NBA sent teams a composite ranking of the Top 10 2024 draft prospects, as determined by a blend of publicly available rankings, a panel of experts and a retained-scouting service. This determines which teams will receive medical results based on which tiers players fall in.

This not remotely your claim of NBA scouts did their own big board and provided this website with the top prospects.
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 7,086

Post#1729 » by Chi town » Mon May 13, 2024 2:18 am

Yeah, not sold on Sarr. Def not at 1. Think Clingan has a higher floor due to his D. Sarr has a sky high ceiling though.
NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,685

Post#1730 » by NYG » Mon May 13, 2024 2:41 am

26 + Kispert moves Washington up to where?

24 + 25 moves NY up to where?
Texas Chuck

Post#1731 » by Texas Chuck » Mon May 13, 2024 2:44 am

NYG wrote:26 + Kispert moves Washington up to where?

In theory it probably shouldn't get you to 17, but I'd have the Lakers considering that. Grab a shooter and still have a first to attach to salary for something else.
Texas Chuck

Post#1732 » by Texas Chuck » Mon May 13, 2024 2:46 am

NYG wrote:

19 and 31 feels about right if the Knicks love somebody still there at 19. Raptors should like getting two cheap 1st round contracts(assuming their guy isn't still there at 19 obviously).
Godaddycurse
RealGM
And1: 10,540

Post#1733 » by Godaddycurse » Mon May 13, 2024 2:50 am

Texas Chuck wrote:
NYG wrote:

19 and 31 feels about right if the Knicks love somebody still there at 19. Raptors should like getting two cheap 1st round contracts(assuming their guy isn't still there at 19 obviously).

i think it cost a bit more to move from 24 to 19 than to move from 31 to 25. I'd need a future 2nd or 2 as well
Texas Chuck

Post#1734 » by Texas Chuck » Mon May 13, 2024 2:53 am

Godaddycurse wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:
NYG wrote:

i think it cost a bit more to move from 24 to 19 than to move from 31 to 25. I'd need a future 2nd or 2 as well

Yeah that's probably about right.
NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,685

Post#1735 » by NYG » Mon May 13, 2024 2:55 am

Texas Chuck wrote:
NYG wrote:26 + Kispert moves Washington up to where?

In theory it probably shouldn't get you to 17, but I'd have the Lakers considering that. Grab a shooter and still have a first to attach to salary for something else.

I mean at that point, how far-fetched is Philly at 16?
Devilanche
Head Coach
And1: 1,671

Post#1736 » by Devilanche » Mon May 13, 2024 5:20 am

What’s the best singular pick that Giddey can get ?

How about giddey plus a future pick ?
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:No I’m myopic and shortsighted and I want my pile of draft picks.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 37,498

Post#1737 » by zimpy27 » Mon May 13, 2024 6:08 am

Devilanche wrote:What’s the best singular pick that Giddey can get ?

I wonder if Spurs would trade #4 or #8 for Giddey. i think they should seriously consider it.

If not then I think Utah definitely give #10.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 20,309

Post#1738 » by Colbinii » Mon May 13, 2024 6:22 am

A pick in the teens, though not sure teams would prefer Giddey to guys like Kolek.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,461

Post#1739 » by babyjax13 » Mon May 13, 2024 8:12 am

zimpy27 wrote:

I wonder if Spurs would trade #4 or #8 for Giddey. i think they should seriously consider it.

Eh, we'd probably consider it but it's trading a cost-controlled asset for one that soon won't be. Giddey makes some sense with George and Lauri but not with Kessler, so if we like him I wouldn't mind Walker for Giddey with some minor incentive added as needed.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 6,344

Post#1740 » by Dadouv47 » Mon May 13, 2024 9:02 am

zimpy27 wrote:

wow that's high. I would be so happy if we could get #8 for Giddey. I don't think he has that value but I do agree that his trade value might be higher than some think (he's only 21 years old and showed he can play well without many ball handlers).

Return to Trades and Transactions