Do Teams Really Avoid Trading in their Conference?

Moderators: loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe

MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 21,600

Re: Do Teams Really Avoid Trading in their Conference? 

Post#21 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Sun May 12, 2024 10:18 pm

Yeah there’s a ton of evidence that Presti has already learned from what he did when he was 30. Did he learn enough/is he good enough? Jury’s still out. But from some of the worst three point shooting role players to the best is already a major deal. This summer is the real test. But lots of interesting options.
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 21,600

Post#22 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Sun May 12, 2024 10:19 pm

Anyway back on topic, I’m not sure about evidence for avoiding trading in conference, but I will say I find division specific trade concerns to be the most unbelievable. That stuff is just a relic, no real impact at all on outcomes.
Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,561

Post#23 » by Kizz Fastfists » Sun May 12, 2024 10:26 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:And this off-season is the start of the test on your idea of Presti. He absolutely blew last time he had a team of young studs. Forgetting even the Harden mistake, he sat on Perkins too long, he kept making extra picks rather than trading for veterans and didn't do enough to improve his core.

I don't see him making that mistake again. Especially since he will still have plenty of picks left to make draft picks, which clearly he believes in his ability to identify prospects. I expect OKC to add a player who is one of their 2 or 3 best players this summer.

The start was last off-season. After they won a playing game there was no one that could say they were not making the playoffs this year and Presti did nothing. I take that back, Presti said he wasn't doing anything to improve the team because "we aren't a .500 team yet". Then at the deadline, when they had the best record in the conference, he doubled down on that by making moves for tanking instead of adding any useful player(s). OKC has the same glaring holes today they had a year ago. Presti will draft a player at #12, give some BS media spin about internal development and not do anything to improve the team.

The Harden trade wasn't bad given that Presti felt he had to move him to avoid the tax. What was bad was turning around and letting KMart walk the next season. OKC was better in every measurable way the season after trading Harden. Then they never hit that level again after letting KMart walk and even ended up as a lottery team missing the playoffs by one game because he saw no use in adding quality veterans and kept waiting for Kanter to learn how to play defense, Perkins to get his pre-injury knees back, Roberson to learn how to make a jumpshot, etc.
"The secret to success is to offend the greatest number of people." -George Bernard Shaw
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,697

Post#24 » by jayjaysee » Sun May 12, 2024 10:28 pm

Talking to Chuck about Kmart brings back memories of Realgm. Makes me feel old..
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 90,227

Post#25 » by Texas Chuck » Sun May 12, 2024 10:40 pm

jayjaysee wrote:Talking to Chuck about Kmart brings back memories of Realgm. Makes me feel old..

I thought we were friends. My obsession with KMart was not one of my finer moments lol.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,697

Post#26 » by jayjaysee » Sun May 12, 2024 10:43 pm

OKC’s clock is an interesting one. If you didn’t have SGA, you’d think you can take it easy with Chet/Jalen. If you didn’t have Chet or Jalen, you’d be desperate to find second best player.

What do you do when you have a 10 deep rotation and 18-20 first round picks?

Probably upset a large faction of the fan base either way.

But I’d trade 12 and Giddey with no case what comes back (future assets) pay Wiggins and Joe on 5 year deals and use 18-24 million in cap space on a big. Ideally it’s a four that can rebound and switch of defense, and shoot.. But any big will do..

And yeah, I hope Dallas’ GM takes the best offer possible for my players not just avoid half the teams in the league..

Return to Trades and Transactions